• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    Free said:

CM189191 said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

This might help...

I'm sure you're smart enough to understand what people mean when they say "he's not my president". I have faith that you understand what figurative speech is.
    Strange....Kinda like how everyone the media included doesn't take trump what trump says seriously (unless it's a hot mic) but takes him literally.
    When you make campaign promises, those things are meant to be taken literally (in the most literal sense of the word). If Trump's up there saying what people want to hear just to get elected, that's a con job.
    Every. Single. Political candidate for presidency will say what people want to hear to get elected.
    fine print: but it's ok when we do. does not apply to 3rd party candidates. this coupon worth 1/100th of a cent.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Stakes for DNC Class Action Lawsuit Increase After Clinton Defeat

The DNC and Debbie Wasserman Schultz violated obligations of neutrality to boost Clinton’s candidacy in the primaries

http://observer.com/2016/11/stakes-for-dnc-class-action-lawsuit-increase-after-clinton-defeat/
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    CM189191 said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

This might help...

I'm sure you're smart enough to understand what people mean when they say "he's not my president". I have faith that you understand what figurative speech is.
    Strange....Kinda like how everyone the media included doesn't take trump what trump says seriously (unless it's a hot mic) but takes him literally.
    When you make campaign promises, those things are meant to be taken literally (in the most literal sense of the word). If Trump's up there saying what people want to hear just to get elected, that's a con job.
    ...and this should not surprise any intelligent person. A wall, a big beautiful wall was the main theme of his campaign...hah
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 624
    Clinton gets 2+ million more votes and loses election. Trump gets only 100,000 more votes in PA, MI, and WI combined and wins because of it. I know those are the rules under the electoral college, but it's just a flawed system. Those 100k votes in 3 states end up having so much more weight than votes in other states and now a minority party gets to decide policy that will affect the country for possibly the next 2 decades.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,003
    bootleg said:

Clinton gets 2+ million more votes and loses election. Trump gets only 100,000 more votes in PA, MI, and WI combined and wins because of it. I know those are the rules under the electoral college, but it's just a flawed system. Those 100k votes in 3 states end up having so much more weight than votes in other states and now a minority party gets to decide policy that will affect the country for possibly the next 2 decades.

So mobilize and change it for the next time around, because you can't arbitrarily make a retroactive policy to apply to this past election. This potential has existed literally since the day the Electoral College was formed, and a mentally lazy (or incapable) populace has so far been unable to understand/mobilize sufficiently to have the process changed.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
  • Options
    dignin said:

JimmyV said:

JC29856 said:

Hillary Clinton lost the election in the Midwest. Donald Trump won 50 Midwestern electoral votes that went to Barack Obama in 2012 -- Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio -- plus 20 more in Pennsylvania, where the two-thirds of voters beyond metro Philadelphia are Midwestern in culture and concerns. Trump could have lost Florida and still won.

In the popular vote, Clinton came close to equaling Obama's 2012 percentages in the South and not-yet-fully-counted West, and her 4 percent drop in the Northeast cost her no electoral votes. But in the Midwest and Pennsylvania, the Democratic presidential percentage dropped from 54 percent in 2008 and 51 percent in 2012 to 45 percent in 2016.

Yep. There shouldn't be any doubt. This wasn't Comey or Wiki or Sexism or Third Parties. None of those things helped, certainly, but none of them caused this defeat, either. Campaign strategy and messaging, more than anything else, led to Donald Trump.
    I don't believe that. She lost a few of those states by really close margins. To say that the FBI, or hacked emails, or sexism, or third parties didn't account for those lost close margins is ignoring a big part of the story.
    And to say that campaign strategy didn't account for those lost close margins is ignoring a big part of the story too. Look at the very last night of the campaign. Where was Hillary? She was in Philadelphia, where she was already surely going to get a large portion of the electorate, having what one can describe as a party (complete with Beyoncé). Where was Trump? He was in Lackawanna County in Pennsylvania (the Scranton area) campaigning. Obama got 63% of the vote in Lackawanna County in 2012 and Hillary got only 50% in 2016; technically a narrow win for Hillary, but really, just for making up so much ground, a win for Trump. This is despite both Hillary's grandfather and Joe Biden hailing from Scranton.

Now I'm not saying that one additional campaign stop in a battleground area was the difference. But it does stand as a microcosm for the entire campaign season: Trump campaigning to the bitter end and Hillary pre-maturely celebrating. And I've read that Bill Clinton had suggested to Hillary's camp that they should campaign more in Michigan and Wisconsin but they weren't worried about those states. But what does Bill know. He's only been referred to (by conservatives that hate him, no less) as one of the best politicians ever.

And enough about sexism, it's arguable that Hillary's sex was part of her success. Really, what else did she have going for her other than being a woman? Take a comparable male candidate, that's under federal investigation, that has no charisma, that's being shoved down the voters' throats by the DNC, and he doesn't come close to Hillary's vote total.

In the end, she just didn't inspire enough people. That's why so many democrats stayed home. Or maybe they stayed home because they, like her, thought she had it in the bag. Why wait in line to vote when the result is inevitable? Trump, despite his claims of not being a politician, proved to be the far superior politician. You can criticize the means in which he went about things, the fact that he rarely has a clue what he's talking about, all his lies, his shady business career, etc. and they'd all be valid criticisms (ones that I've made myself). But in the end, like Hillary's previous presidential opponents (Sanders and Obama), he got people passionate about him. Nobody was passionate about Hillary. As I filled in the circle next to her name on election day, it was under the idea of "this is what I should do" rather than "this is what I WANT to do."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    JC29856 said:

who is advocating changing it to popular vote retroactively?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

• Options
    JimmyV said:

The post election equivalency to the pre-election 538 posts!
  • Options

JC29856 said:

Not sure, not saying anyone is, but the popular vote totals and calls for audits are desperate attempts to delegitimize the election and his presidency.
  • Options
    My posting of the "popular vote" total is not a call for an audit nor is it a desperate attempt to do anything. It is simply a fact, one that I believe indicts Clinton and her campaign strategy more than it deligitimizes the Electoral College winner.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

Not sure, not saying anyone is, but the popular vote totals and calls for audits are desperate attempts to delegitimize the election and his presidency.
    I think the popular vote tallies are more for interests sake, and maybe starts a discussion if the process needs to be changed for future elections. I can't say that it does. I honestly don't know enough about why it is set up that way. I understand the basic premise, but I have never understood why any election isn't popular vote.

even before Trump said so, I stated that you can't change the rules of the game after the game has been finished. I stated that Trump most likely would have had a different campaign strategy had it been the popular vote, which he also said. that's a no brainer. so in a way, the popular vote tally really is meaningless in that respect.

I think you are right, that there are people that are desperate to keep him out of the white house any way possible (Sarah Silverman is having a fucking caniption on twitter). I think that's a bit silly. But I do think you need to make sure the person who was elected is actually sworn in.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JimmyV said:

My posting of the "popular vote" total is not a call for an audit nor is it a desperate attempt to do anything. It is simply a fact, one that I believe indicts Clinton and her campaign strategy more than it deligitimizes the Electoral College winner.

Interesting. I was taking it as you were saying "See! Hillary got more votes. The electoral college is stupid and she should be president!" So you're basically saying the opposite.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited November 2016

JimmyV said:

Interesting. I was taking it as you were saying "See! Hillary got more votes. The electoral college is stupid and she should be president!" So you're basically saying the opposite.
    As far as I'm saying anything, yes. I'm certainly not happy that Trump is headed to the White House. I do hope (but don't expect) he will lead in a way that reflects how many of us voted for someone other than him. I don't mind the WI, MI and PA votes being confirmed but assuming they are...that's it. Trump won. I will always believe this was avoidable and that a better showing from Democrats could have prevented it. But it happened, it's legitimate, and we need to accept it.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    edited November 2016

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

JC29856 said:

Hillary Clinton lost the election in the Midwest. Donald Trump won 50 Midwestern electoral votes that went to Barack Obama in 2012 -- Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio -- plus 20 more in Pennsylvania, where the two-thirds of voters beyond metro Philadelphia are Midwestern in culture and concerns. Trump could have lost Florida and still won.

In the popular vote, Clinton came close to equaling Obama's 2012 percentages in the South and not-yet-fully-counted West, and her 4 percent drop in the Northeast cost her no electoral votes. But in the Midwest and Pennsylvania, the Democratic presidential percentage dropped from 54 percent in 2008 and 51 percent in 2012 to 45 percent in 2016.

Yep. There shouldn't be any doubt. This wasn't Comey or Wiki or Sexism or Third Parties. None of those things helped, certainly, but none of them caused this defeat, either. Campaign strategy and messaging, more than anything else, led to Donald Trump.
    I don't believe that. She lost a few of those states by really close margins. To say that the FBI, or hacked emails, or sexism, or third parties didn't account for those lost close margins is ignoring a big part of the story.
    And to say that campaign strategy didn't account for those lost close margins is ignoring a big part of the story too. Look at the very last night of the campaign. Where was Hillary? She was in Philadelphia, where she was already surely going to get a large portion of the electorate, having what one can describe as a party (complete with Beyoncé). Where was Trump? He was in Lackawanna County in Pennsylvania (the Scranton area) campaigning. Obama got 63% of the vote in Lackawanna County in 2012 and Hillary got only 50% in 2016; technically a narrow win for Hillary, but really, just for making up so much ground, a win for Trump. This is despite both Hillary's grandfather and Joe Biden hailing from Scranton.

Now I'm not saying that one additional campaign stop in a battleground area was the difference. But it does stand as a microcosm for the entire campaign season: Trump campaigning to the bitter end and Hillary pre-maturely celebrating. And I've read that Bill Clinton had suggested to Hillary's camp that they should campaign more in Michigan and Wisconsin but they weren't worried about those states. But what does Bill know. He's only been referred to (by conservatives that hate him, no less) as one of the best politicians ever.

And enough about sexism, it's arguable that Hillary's sex was part of her success. Really, what else did she have going for her other than being a woman? Take a comparable male candidate, that's under federal investigation, that has no charisma, that's being shoved down the voters' throats by the DNC, and he doesn't come close to Hillary's vote total.

In the end, she just didn't inspire enough people. That's why so many democrats stayed home. Or maybe they stayed home because they, like her, thought she had it in the bag. Why wait in line to vote when the result is inevitable? Trump, despite his claims of not being a politician, proved to be the far superior politician. You can criticize the means in which he went about things, the fact that he rarely has a clue what he's talking about, all his lies, his shady business career, etc. and they'd all be valid criticisms (ones that I've made myself). But in the end, like Hillary's previous presidential opponents (Sanders and Obama), he got people passionate about him. Nobody was passionate about Hillary. As I filled in the circle next to her name on election day, it was under the idea of "this is what I should do" rather than "this is what I WANT to do."
    I agree with the passion and enthusiasm stuff but disagree about it being a mistake to end her campaign the way she did in Philly. If she ran up the numbers a little more in Philly and surrounding areas, she may have won the state. At that point she was more likely to get more people from her traditional blue area of the state to come out and vote for her than hoping to change some people's minds up in the Scranton area.....despite having some family roots there.

And Philly wasn't the last stop. She ended in NC a few hours later....with Lady Gaga. haha
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited November 2016

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

JC29856 said:

I agree with the passion and enthusiasm stuff but disagree about it being a mistake to end her campaign the way she did in Philly. If she ran up the numbers a little more in Philly and surrounding areas, she may have won the state. At that point she was more likely to get more people from her traditional blue area of the state to come out and vote for her than hoping to change some people's minds up in the Scranton area.....despite having some family roots there.

And Philly wasn't the last stop. She ended in NC a few hours later....with Lady Gaga. haha
    But you see what I'm saying: Celebratory-like bashes with Beyonce and Lady Gaga vs. Trump just...um...trumping..show a sharp contrast in the campaigns...even if I'm only realizing it in hindsight.

I dunno. There just always seemed like an "I got this" vibe from Hillary that annoyed me throughout the entire primary and general election. Consider this clip....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGiZT-MnI4

So Trump throws out this one-liner that, like many of his statements, is unbecoming of a presidential debate. And knowing that, Hillary just ignores it and moves on. "I'm not dignifying that with a response" she must have thought. "Soon I'll be president and this circus act will be forgotten." Wrong attitude. If Trump drops that "you'd be in jail" line on Bernie Sanders, Sanders replies "No, Mr. Trump. YOU should be in jail. YOU don't pay taxes, YOU rip-off your contractors, and YOU have been accused of sexual assault by 10 women in the past week." But Hillary couldn't be bothered with that sort of back-and-forth. It's "beneath" her.

Watching Hillary was like watching the Tomlin-coached Steelers against a crappy team. "We got this. Look how much better we are than them." Then Tebow connects on an 80-yard TD to beat you in overtime.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Anyone know if Clinton's are offering black Friday sales on speeches??

• Options
    JC29856 said:

:lol:
  • Options

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

JC29856 said:

But you see what I'm saying: Celebratory-like bashes with Beyonce and Lady Gaga vs. Trump just...um...trumping..show a sharp contrast in the campaigns...even if I'm only realizing it in hindsight.

I dunno. There just always seemed like an "I got this" vibe from Hillary that annoyed me throughout the entire primary and general election. Consider this clip....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGiZT-MnI4

So Trump throws out this one-liner that, like many of his statements, is unbecoming of a presidential debate. And knowing that, Hillary just ignores it and moves on. "I'm not dignifying that with a response" she must have thought. "Soon I'll be president and this circus act will be forgotten." Wrong attitude. If Trump drops that "you'd be in jail" line on Bernie Sanders, Sanders replies "No, Mr. Trump. YOU should be in jail. YOU don't pay taxes, YOU rip-off your contractors, and YOU have been accused of sexual assault by 10 women in the past week." But Hillary couldn't be bothered with that sort of back-and-forth. It's "beneath" her.

Watching Hillary was like watching the Tomlin-coached Steelers against a crappy team. "We got this. Look how much better we are than them." Then Tebow connects on an 80-yard TD to beat you in overtime.
    Yeah I hear you. She's a lousy candidate who never was able to look like she connected with people.

The jail line, along with so many other stuff out of his mouth is just so childish and immature, and unbecoming of the office they were seeking that it really shouldn't be dignified with a comment. I've never been a fan of hers but she really did outclass him in all 3 debates but it's just...I think HRC and her campaign underestimated the amount of idiots in this country.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    polaris_x said:

unsung said:

polaris_x said:

JimmyV said:

Sigh...

The Electoral College did the exact job it was intended to do. Democrats do not have an Electoral College problem. They had a Hillary Clinton problem.

The electoral college has failed americans since it's inception ... in reality, it's because of the electoral college that there were 2 horrible candidates for POTUS ...
    The US is not a democracy, never has been. The electoral college is working how it is supposed to.
    obviously the electoral college is doing what it's supposed to ... it's like saying a bullet that killed someone is doing what it's supposed to ... the issue here is whether or not the electoral college is good for americans ...
    Democracy is mob rule.
    JC29856 said:
    Same as that idiot that "bumped into her" while on a hike.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    JC29856 said:

I wonder how much that $200,000 per speech price tag has been discounted.
  • Options
    I don't think anything will come of these recounts but if there are anomalies and Hillary Clinton herself did nothing about them? That will be hard for even get staunchest supporters to defend.

This discussion has been closed.