Options

Hillary won more votes for President

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    They really aren't left with any other option.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,848
    PJ_Soul said:

Besides suspending the campaign, which is the honorable thing to do. It's also what Hillary did on 08 to allow Barack to pivot to the general and start applying funds to that race.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    Hillary suspended her campaign on June 7, 2008...long after she had been beaten. Bernie Sanders is under no obligation to suspend his on March 16, 2016.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Besides suspending the campaign, which is the honorable thing to do. It's also what Hillary did on 08 to allow Barack to pivot to the general and start applying funds to that race.
    Yep. He's done. He had a hell of a run I give him credit for that.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I would assume that it's only the honorable thing to do if he think it's impossible for him to win. Obviously he hasn't reached that point yet. I expect him to suspend the campaign the second he does think that, UNLESS he thinks doing so would hurt his chances as an Independent, i.e. slow some momentum as a third nominee. That he's not stopping yet may be a sign that that's his plan.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I would assume that it's only the honorable thing to do if he think it's impossible for him to win. Obviously he hasn't reached that point yet. I expect him to suspend the campaign the second he does think that, UNLESS he thinks doing so would hurt his chances as an Independent, i.e. slow some momentum as a third nominee. That he's not stopping yet may be a sign that that's his plan.
    It's not rationally possible for him to win without super delegates. Considering the disparagement of that process, how can he honorably win that way?

• Options
    I really don't think it's an issue. He disparages the system that he can't change unless he wins. His morals are not in danger of being compromised here.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I really don't think it's an issue. He disparages the system that he can't change unless he wins. His morals are not in danger of being compromised here.

He can't change the DNC by being president. He could have changed it had he been a part of it before 2015 when it was his convenient vehicle for this run.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Meh. He is still vocal about it. What do you think he should do??? Say, oh well you've got all the super delegates, and i won't try and change their minds, you win?
    He's a good and honest man. He's not an idiot. He still wants to win in a fucked system.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Meh. He is still vocal about it. What do you think he should do??? Say, oh well you've got all the super delegates, and i won't try and change their minds, you win?
    He's a good and honest man. He's not an idiot. He still wants to win in a fucked system.

It's not fucked. It's the system that is developed and voted on by the leaders and members of the DNC. It's not constitutionally mandated or controlled. They can do whatever the fuck they want so long as their members agree. If he doesn't like it, he can get the fuck out of the party he just joined. I don't mean to be a dick, but I'm about sick of Bernie supporters and their white middle class victimization. The economic system is rigged against them. WTF? It's not fucking rigged. It's rigged against minorities, not them. But where are the minorities? With Hillary.

I got an idea. Go to junior college for two years. Get a night job. Deliver some pizzas. Get an entry level job between undergrad and grad so you have an income source. Get a real fucking degree that people want, not one that you like.

Sorry PJ. You're a cool dude, but I'm agitated with Bernie supporters and their righteousness.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Let's not forget that Hilary is under danger of indictment, Bernie owes it to his (and Clinton's!!) democratic supporters to stay in the race (he is not that far behind at all, he is closer than Cruz is to Trump) as long as possible until it is clear that Hilary is not going to be charged with felonies.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Let's not forget that Hilary is under danger of indictment, Bernie owes it to his (and Clinton's!!) democratic supporters to stay in the race (he is not that far behind at all, he is closer than Cruz is to Trump) as long as possible until it is clear that Hilary is not going to be charged with felonies.

Let's not forget that Hilary would not be in danger unless what Trump says is true.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Hillary broke the internet!

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,185
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Wait... are you saying there are two sides to a story? Are you saying that Hillary ISN'T a criminal mastermind?
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    sucia
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,848
    rssesq said:

sucia

Like in bed?
  • Options
    Big bad wolf on wall street!

One bank executive assured his clients, “We continue to believe Clinton would be one of the better candidates for financial firms.” He was quoted in a CNN Money article, “Wall Street Isn’t Worried about Hillary Clinton’s Plan,” which stated,

Hillary Clinton unveiled her big plan to curb the worst of Wall Street’s excesses….The reaction from the banking community was a shrug, if not relief.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

One bank executive assured his clients, “We continue to believe Clinton would be one of the better candidates for financial firms.” He was quoted in a CNN Money article, “Wall Street Isn’t Worried about Hillary Clinton’s Plan,” which stated,

Hillary Clinton unveiled her big plan to curb the worst of Wall Street’s excesses….The reaction from the banking community was a shrug, if not relief.

That makes me want to vote for her even more. I'm not sure how you think people buy houses, cars, TV's and Pearl Jam tickets. She would absolutely be a better candidate than Trump or Sanders for the financial community.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

That makes me want to vote for her even more. I'm not sure how you think people buy houses, cars, TV's and Pearl Jam tickets. She would absolutely be a better candidate than Trump or Sanders for the financial community.
    That's definitely true.
    My #1 concern obviously isn't for the financial community, of course, but you're right. And if anyone wants to focus on trying to reduce the wage gap by starting with Wall Street's excesses, then that's fine with me. Though I would want the person to take it a thousand steps further than that, but something is better than nothing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    What we will do when she breaks up the banks?

You seem like a knowledgeable business person, would you mind answering a question?

If banks did not loan teenagers tens of thousands of dollars for secondary education what do you think will happen? In general.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    Too big to fail
  • Options
    Anybody who knows me, who thinks that they can influence me, name anything they’ve influenced me on. Just name one thing. (See Sen Warren) I’m out here every day saying I’m going to shut them down, I’m going after them. I’m going to jail them if they should be jailed. I’m going to break them up.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Anybody who knows me, who thinks that they can influence me, name anything they’ve influenced me on. Just name one thing. (See Sen Warren) I’m out here every day saying I’m going to shut them down, I’m going after them. I’m going to jail them if they should be jailed. I’m going to break them up.

So the question is... what does 'break them up' mean? Does that mean she is going to re-institute Glass-Steagall? That would divest commercial from insurance from investment banking. If that's breaking them up, I'm okay with that. I've never been a proponent of that wall being torn down.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    JC29856 said:

You seem like a knowledgeable business person, would you mind answering a question?

If banks did not loan teenagers tens of thousands of dollars for secondary education what do you think will happen? In general.

If this happened in the way you are interpreting it, college loans for teenagers would be the absolute last concern I would have. That's not even in the top 100. Either way, dissolution of banking ain't happening.
    Quick edit... the rallying cry... BREAK UP THE BREAKS is no different than BUILD A WALL in its lack of practicality or maybe more appropriately, misleading nature of that statement.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

If this happened in the way you are interpreting it, college loans for teenagers would be the absolute last concern I would have. That's not even in the top 100. Either way, dissolution of banking ain't happening.
    Quick edit... the rallying cry... BREAK UP THE BREAKS is no different than BUILD A WALL in its lack of practicality or maybe more appropriately, misleading nature of that statement.
    What way am I interpreting it? I just asked a question?
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

What way am I interpreting it? I just asked a question?
    I didn't mean to jump on you.. but when you asked this question "If banks did not loan teenagers tens of thousands of dollars for secondary education what do you think will happen? In general.", it implies that you think that breaking up banks is a dissolution of them. Typically what that means (at least rationally) is splitting the brokerage houses from the consumer/commercial lending.

A brokerage house has the incentive to take some risks. You can't win in the market without risk, and there are different levels of risk. A commercial or consumer bank is trying to maximize interest revenue while minimizing bad loans. Culturally, they are different. What some banks have done (not all) was investing deposits. It's not illegal but can be risky. Deposits should typically be used to collateralize or underwrite loans. But some of the brokerage firms that went under were not affiliated with big banks, rather insurance.

Regarding your student loans, those are underwritten by the Fed mostly, and then some private companies like Navient, Discover and others. They would either be backed by deposits or securitized in the open market (not much of that today).
  • Options
    I guess the bottom line is:
    1. Will it kill student loans? Absolutely not
    2. Will it affect the federal loan program? Probably not
    3. Will it affect your ability to get a private student loan, gap loan, etc.? It could. More reasonably, it might increase the cost of the private loans as the lender may have decreased access to funds. When you have fewer options, that means the banks who will lend to other banks will charge more. Supply and demand...
This discussion has been closed.