Options

Pearl Jam NYC Pop Up Shop @ Volcom Soho

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited September 2015
    Zod said:

my2hands said:

flippers are not the problem... pearl jam fans paying ridiculous prices in the secondary market is the real problem...

Except secondary markets are a result of things not being available on the primary market. Which in this case is a result of insufficient tour merch being sold. Prices always go up when demand far outweighs supply. It's economics 101. It's not a unique situation to Pearl Jam fans. The whole merch flipper thing could easily be resolved by making more. If that's too risky then you could plan it ahead of time. There was that one tour (2009?) where you could preorder posters online. How awesome was that. No lineups, no missing out, and it got mailed to you so you didn't have to safeguard it during the show. From a planning standpoint it would let 10c know how many to make so you didn't have under/over supply.
    i disagree... there is plenty of merch to go around... the pearl jam world is now LITTERED with merch of all kinds... take a look at the shop and all the "mystery sales" getting rid of overstock that didnt sell... it is spoiled, entitled, and impatient fans that feel the need to HAVE everything immediately and make impulse buys on stuff that will be readily available at some point...

perfect example is the posters.. why would someone pay $100 for a poster to a show that hasnt even happened yet, that are being sold for 6 days, and that will be available online through the 10c in a few months for $35?

sorry, i just think it's silly and immature to continue to bash flippers... but i understand i am in the minority

the issue with presales of posters is that you are buying something you havent seen yet... and people were complaining that this poster sucked, or that poster sucked... so i dont blame them for not doing a presale for art... and it is a lot easier to put 500 posters flat on a merch table and sell them all in 5 hours as opposed to taking online orders, rolling, shipping, etc...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    MayDay10 said:

Am I out to lunch or would it not be pretty easy to put the posters up on 10c. Say on sale til October 3rd. See how many are ordered and then order them from the printer and ship em out. No real risk on being stuck with em. Sell a lot more probably and kill the flippers.

the "problem" is, if people knew they were plentiful enough for everyone who wanted one... then not a lot of people would want one. They would just realize its a print with Transformers on it.
    bingo...
  • Options
    I like merch as much as the next guy, but this thread is giving me agita.
    As someone said a few pages back, maybe if people stopped acting ridiculous and buying all this crap for outrageous sums of money, this nonsense would come to an end and the band would be forced to do more than a handful of gigs a year to put bread on the table. It doesn't take a PhD to realize that merch is where they make the majority of their loot. Tours cost a lot of money to put on, require a lot more work, and yield a much lower profit margin per ticket after you factor in everyone who gets a cut. Whereas a t-shirt or poster, the artist/ designer gets paid, a few bucks to have them psychically made, and then they pay somebody else minimum wage to sell the stuff. The rest is pure profit.
    Sorry if I sound cynical but the merch train has been off the tracks for a long old while now.
    And PS-personally I think the Transformers poster is way cooler than the Kong poster. Just as classic and I don't see how anyone could claim its lazy design work on the Ames bros part and say that the Kong poster wasn't. And anyway it's art people. Its supposed to be subjective.
    My $.02
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160
    Any word on whether they plan to restock tshirts during the day, or if they want to go back home early again?
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

Can someone steal that pass for me? I think it has some good ebay potential. After all it says Property of Pearl Jam on it!!! $$$$$$$$$$
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rival. said:

what's funny about all of this is that this isn't even a pearl jam show.

if pearl jam played lollapalooza again, would we see a popup shop here in chicago? a six day popup shop?

Seems doesnt matter.some .people loves merch more than shows
    it's so sad that this is 100% true. go explore the city, fuck the merch line.
    I'm with you. I went to one show last year-Denver-and decided I didn't want to spend my one day there in line to get the Denver shirt. Instead we went to the botanic garden and saw priceless art installation by Dale Chihuly. It was awesome. I had to wait for 10 months but I also found a shirt for face price here on the forums, got stickers & a button in trades right after the show, etc... there are other ways. Waiting in line for a hat just seems so strange to me.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

• Options
    Already out of hats. No L or XL shirts left. Looks like they have plenty of posters left.
  • Options

Can someone steal that pass for me? I think it has some good ebay potential. After all it says Property of Pearl Jam on it!!! $$$$$$$$$$
    Wait a minute... I didn't see a hologram sticker on the pass... probably a bootleg...

• Options
    Ames poster sold out at 12:26. Missed it by 6 people :(
  • Options
    RG307469 said:

Ames poster sold out at 12:26. Missed it by 6 people :(

When did you get in line this morning?
  • Options
    HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 503
    edited September 2015

Wait a minute... I didn't see a hologram sticker on the pass... probably a bootleg...
    It's to ensure the piece is authentic and not fake vs make it not flipable

http://insidetherockposterframe.blogspot.com/2015/09/pearl-jam-global-citizens-new-york-posters.html
    Post edited by Hoccapuk on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,651
    edited September 2015
    bean girl hasnt shown up yet has she? Dont engage. Just run. Your Mets hat and Ames transformers are just material things.
  • Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    edited September 2015
    glad to see today was better organized. I hope those who waited in line yesterday only to get shut out scored today.
    I don't miss the madness but I do miss the feeling of Pearl Jam in the air.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,355

bean girl hasnt shown up yet has she? Dont engage. Just run. Your Mets hat and Ames transformers are just material things.

Funny u mention her..i just saw her post at my facebook fees..print her tix..and she is not in ny yet
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    If someone would be nice enough to get a male subway shirt M, and an M of the apple one for men and an M for women, I will kindly ask my wife to sit down this one and give you a Colbert ticket. I am on the line already.

Noticed I am not 'charging' for the ticket (i intend to pay face for the shirts) but if you want to show your generosity, I won't say no :)
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,415
    I need one of the Transformers posters...lol. My kids would love it in their new bedroom. I may have to trade my stickers for it...lol.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    edited September 2015
    schapp said:

If someone would be nice enough to get a male subway shirt M, and an M of the apple one for men and an M for women, I will kindly ask my wife to sit down this one and give you a Colbert ticket. I am on the line already.

Noticed I am not 'charging' for the ticket (i intend to pay face for the shirts) but if you want to show your generosity, I won't say no :)

you are just an incredible husband. how did your wife get so lucky!?

am i reading this right? you are willing to take your wife's ticket from her if someone can hook you up with a t-shirt?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    rival. said:

schapp said:

am i reading this right? you are willing to take your wife's ticket from her if someone can hook you up with a t-shirt?
    She is not a big fan and we live in the city, so I am the one who got lucky for her being so nice to me and be willing to part with it. ;) She can come to the taping of the show any other day.

She loves the tshirts though, so she is basically giving her spot so I can buy another tshirt for her. Yesterday I got her the skyline one but everything else was out
    Post edited by schapp on
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,787
    rival. said:

schapp said:

:lol:
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    Merch always has to be a big ordeal. It's too bad they refuse to sell the stuff online.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,651
    rival. said:

schapp said:

This thread gets better and better
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,182
    I traded my wife for a sealed Benny in 2013.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    branscop said:

What number, top 10 or pop shop??
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Stickers -pins still available
    Skyline poster..around 20 left..transformers sold out
    Plenty of the other 2 prints
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    branscop said:

It was hard giving up my Benny but it worked out well :)
  • Options
    I would probably give up the wife for a Benny too
  • Options
    Forget the "probably"
  • Options

Forget the "probably"

Hahajajajajahajajaahaaahahahaahahahahahahahahahaa
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886

Forget the "probably"

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Sorry I got the last Subway M in the store. Also got the last XL Mets and a onesie for my niece. Only got 1 of the Pend poster, the other two I wouldn't want on my wall! They were limiting stickers and pins to 1 each, so got a set of those too. $153 - almost as much as ine of my tickets for Sat!

I'm done, not gonna go through that struggle a third time just for a chance of getting the hats or Ames poster; just gonna wait and see if they have them online.

And I'm gonna go with the Halloween 2014 shirt for the actual concert (still my fav PJ shirt that I own) and my girlfriend (who is a PJ virgin) can wear the subway one. See you in VIP2!