• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

find it amazing that people are willing to pay $250+ for a 60 minute pearl jam set when the concert is pretty much FREE outside of the vip.

you're right.. and they're right too.
    for some people, free is the way to go.
    for others, as pj has a mostly older fanbase, maybe its worth $250 to show up way closer to pj's time than line up for hours all day just to get within a football field of the band. and chances are if they pony up for vip theyll be located near a lot more serious fans, aka non talkers, than if theyre all the way in the back. maybe that person works all week long and wants to spend the whole day with their kids instead of spending all day lining up and listening to music they dont neccessarily love in order to have a decent concert experience. to many, its worth $200 to both see your kids and see pj on a saturday. tickets are usually around $100 anyway, and a lot of people fly to see pj. since this show is within an hour or so train ride for more than 20 million people, it does make sense, even for an abbreviated set.

This is the exact reason pj needs to get rid of ga next North America tour. I work full time and have a family. I don't have the time to line up for hours/days.
    then don't go for GA, go for seats or get tickets through ticketmaster or look for someone with seats on the board. Not that hard to avoid GA. GA has done surprisingly well for pj barring the line list people, thankfully that shit stopped as it was the most elitist idiotic thing I've ever seen a fanbase of a band do.

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

find it amazing that people are willing to pay $250+ for a 60 minute pearl jam set when the concert is pretty much FREE outside of the vip.

for others, as pj has a mostly older fanbase, maybe its worth $250 to show up way closer to pj's time than line up for hours all day just to get within a football field of the band. and chances are if they pony up for vip theyll be located near a lot more serious fans, aka non talkers, than if theyre all the way in the back. maybe that person works all week long and wants to spend the whole day with their kids instead of spending all day lining up and listening to music they dont neccessarily love in order to have a decent concert experience. to many, its worth $200 to both see your kids and see pj on a saturday. tickets are usually around $100 anyway, and a lot of people fly to see pj. since this show is within an hour or so train ride for more than 20 million people, it does make sense, even for an abbreviated set.

This is the exact reason pj needs to get rid of ga next North America tour. I work full time and have a family. I don't have the time to line up for hours/days.
    so the band has to get rid of GA because you work full time and have a family and don't have time to line up? comical. take a vacation day then... GAFORLIFE
    yeah having a family and a full time job like many of you just complicates things. Even though I could take a day off I still have to make sure kids are taken care of all day. I miss the days of seating on the floor. And for what it s worth, I didn't see any difference at all in terms of energy level at the ga shows these past two tours as compared to other tours with seating.
    It would be nice if pj did ga like bruce.
    Oh and I m glad you thought I was comical. It made my day.
    I saw a total difference in energy levels at GA shows compared to previous seated tours!

agree
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

then don't go for GA, go for seats or get tickets through ticketmaster or look for someone with seats on the board. Not that hard to avoid GA. GA has done surprisingly well for pj barring the line list people, thankfully that shit stopped as it was the most elitist idiotic thing I've ever seen a fanbase of a band do.

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

so the band has to get rid of GA because you work full time and have a family and don't have time to line up? comical. take a vacation day then... GAFORLIFE
    yeah having a family and a full time job like many of you just complicates things. Even though I could take a day off I still have to make sure kids are taken care of all day. I miss the days of seating on the floor. And for what it s worth, I didn't see any difference at all in terms of energy level at the ga shows these past two tours as compared to other tours with seating.
    I saw a total difference in energy levels at GA shows compared to previous seated tours!

At the end of the day though, your desire to not have GA and others' desire to have GA are just opinions. GA has its advantages, and its drawbacks, and neither method is perfect. How about one half of the floor is GA, and the other half has seats, and they alternate each show? Maybe then they could gate off the area between the two sides of the floor, and treat it like an extended stage like U2 did on their most recent tour? It really gave everyone a chance to have the "Front Row" experience!
    I ll be ga at U2 next week so I ll let you know how it is. And what you say makes a lot of sense. There s no perfect system and no way to please everyone. However I did see pj in Brooklyn x2, philly x2 and St. Louis and didn't see any notable spike in energy.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    mcgruff10 said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

At the end of the day though, your desire to not have GA and others' desire to have GA are just opinions. GA has its advantages, and its drawbacks, and neither method is perfect. How about one half of the floor is GA, and the other half has seats, and they alternate each show? Maybe then they could gate off the area between the two sides of the floor, and treat it like an extended stage like U2 did on their most recent tour? It really gave everyone a chance to have the "Front Row" experience!
    I ll be ga at U2 next week so I ll let you know how it is. And what you say makes a lot of sense. There s no perfect system and no way to please everyone. However I did see pj in Brooklyn x2, philly x2 and St. Louis and didn't see any notable spike in energy.
    Which U2 show do u have ga? I'll be at first 4 and the last one. Would love to meet up!
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    mcgruff10 said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

same
    did many shows both ways and at times you could argue there was LESS energy upfront at GA because of a few factors: people are tired from lining up for up to 24 plus hours, no one drinks because they dont want to lose their spot or have to pee, and mainly people are bug-eyed, stiff-armed, paranoid, great defenders of "the spot" that they put so much time into getting that they are more concerned with not letting go of those precious 24 square inches than letting go and ya know, actually enjoying the great rock concert that is taking place 8 feet in front of their eyes. This is not for everyone at every show, but at some I definitely saw a reduction in energy levels with the ga front.

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Which U2 show do u have ga? I'll be at first 4 and the last one. Would love to meet up!
    We have ga for the July 27 show. My wife and I have five kids so we ll be likely walking in seconds before the first notes of the "miracle of joey ramone".
    If we do get in early where s the pre party at?
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

We have ga for the July 27 show. My wife and I have five kids so we ll be likely walking in seconds before the first notes of the "miracle of joey ramone".
  • Options
    nycrats said:

mcgruff10 said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

same
    did many shows both ways and at times you could argue there was LESS energy upfront at GA because of a few factors: people are tired from lining up for up to 24 plus hours, no one drinks because they dont want to lose their spot or have to pee, and mainly people are bug-eyed, stiff-armed, paranoid, great defenders of "the spot" that they put so much time into getting that they are more concerned with not letting go of those precious 24 square inches than letting go and ya know, actually enjoying the great rock concert that is taking place 8 feet in front of their eyes. This is not for everyone at every show, but at some I definitely saw a reduction in energy levels with the ga front.

100% agree. You and I think alike. I remember the second brooklyn 1 ended people lined up for brooklyn 2. I later saw and talked to those people and they said they were more or less comatosed at the show because they were so tired. I really miss rows 1/2, 9/10 random rows. I unfortunately don't have the time to line up the night before/early am to get the best spot possibly.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    if you have GA just mosey in around 7-730 pm... find a nice open spot in the back of GA, there you can rock and roll hard, not all packed in... in and out for drinks/bathroom if need be, and the best part is everyone around isn't holding up and staring at their smart telephones the entire time. still in a premium spot of the arena. GA doesn't have to mean waiting in line for 24 hrs.. or at all for that matter. personally I would take back of GA for the rest of my shows if I could, best place to rock out in the whole arena. the random rows were definitely an exciting element though...
  • Options

if you have GA just mosey in around 7-730 pm... find a nice open spot in the back of GA, there you can rock and roll hard, not all packed in... in and out for drinks/bathroom if need be, and the best part is everyone around isn't holding up and staring at their smart telephones the entire time. still in a premium spot of the arena. GA doesn't have to mean waiting in line for 24 hrs.. or at all for that matter. personally I would take back of GA for the rest of my shows if I could, best place to rock out in the whole arena. the random rows were definitely an exciting element though...

Is that your plan for global citizens festival?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

that definitely wont be in a "premium part of the arena(park)"

• Options
    edited July 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

that would be if I had free tickets... I think its obvious I was referring to the "next NA tour" comment and the crying about GA vs. fold out chairs in front of a rock stage. as for GC I was fortunate enough to land a couple tix in vip2 so I will be moseying right in there instead. equipped with recreational goodies
    Post edited by rustneversleeps on
  • Options
    you've mentioned multiple times about how you have a full time job, and 5 kids so you cant line up all day so the band should get rid of GA... or you could just roll in at 7-730 and enjoy a premium part of the arena. again, GA doesn't mean you have to stand in line all day.
  • Options
    MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    edited July 2015
    U2 fans have been lining up since yesterday afternoon for tonights show.

thank god i don't have to deal with GA tonight.

Post edited by MUZIK on
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Options
    MUZIK said:

i have ga tonight.. will show up 5 mins before 8.. im sure there will be tons of screens and whatnot with the floor length stage, not too worried about a spot, and u2 claims they are making the sound perfect all over each arena.. tbd

• Options
    MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    edited July 2015
    nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

u2 claims they are making the sound perfect all over each arena.. tbd

Perfect? Not sure but my ears are ringing for sure.

It be dope if pearl jam would have a similar stage to U2's. Crowd would be so much more involved and from the front to the back theres really no bad seat and there's plenty of rail for everyone.

Post edited by MUZIK on
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,454
    mcgruff10 said:

nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Yo... Enjoy the show Mike! I'll be there on the 22nd. Can't wait. We have 4 kids and it takes an act of Cogress to get out of the house sometimes :smiley:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Yo... Enjoy the show Mike! I'll be there on the 22nd. Can't wait. We have 4 kids and it takes an act of Cogress to get out of the house sometimes :smiley:
    I hear ya bud! what the hell were we thinking having this many kids?! lol
    where you sitting on the 22nd?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

nicknyr15 said:

mcgruff10 said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

I hear ya bud! what the hell were we thinking having this many kids?! lol
    where you sitting on the 22nd?
    Ha... Kids. They just started showing up one by one... Before I knew what happened there were four of them.

VIP seats for the show... With a chance to get upgraded to the red zone. My buddy got them free through work so I'll be happy wherever we end up.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Wow that s awesome!!! We ll be in the 100s. I d say meet up for a beer but we ll probably be walking in minutes before they start. I m assuming around 8:30?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Wow that s awesome!!! We ll be in the 100s. I d say meet up for a beer but we ll probably be walking in minutes before they start. I m assuming around 8:30?

last night the pa music song got loud at 8:22 with bono starting to walk around the mini stage and then they started at 8:26..

the floor wasnt too packed.. if you got there at 8pm youd have a nice spot for sure. red zone looked pretty awesome, in the front it was floor level but with a full bar right there- how convenient is that? and then by the mini stage it had a riser so the section was 4 feet up in the air.. i traded for my ga's for section 106.. id say 106,107 and 117,118 are pretty ideal for these shows if you see those pop up. tons of celebs there last night.. sat a few seats down from chris christie, i cant believe that guy had lap band surgery.. he should get his money back from the doctors..

• Options
    nycrats said:

mcgruff10 said:

sat a few seats down from chris christie, i cant believe that guy had lap band surgery.. he should get his money back from the doctors..
    Chris Christie.... NJ's gift to the rest of the country. Thank God we're almost done with him.

• Options
    nycrats said:

mcgruff10 said:

last night the pa music song got loud at 8:22 with bono starting to walk around the mini stage and then they started at 8:26..

the floor wasnt too packed.. if you got there at 8pm youd have a nice spot for sure. red zone looked pretty awesome, in the front it was floor level but with a full bar right there- how convenient is that? and then by the mini stage it had a riser so the section was 4 feet up in the air.. i traded for my ga's for section 106.. id say 106,107 and 117,118 are pretty ideal for these shows if you see those pop up. tons of celebs there last night.. sat a few seats down from chris christie, i cant believe that guy had lap band surgery.. he should get his money back from the doctors..

How long did they play for? I m really pumped!
  • Options
    i wanna say around 2 hours 15 2.5 hours, cant remember exactly but they put on a good spectacle for sure. its no pj, but a fun trip down memory lane, i loved u2 as a child. have mixed feelings as an adult, but hearing a song like electric co takes me back to sitting in my room at 10 years old playing the shit out of my under a blood red sky tape..
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    U2 played fir 2.5 hours last night. The show was absolutes incredible. Any true fan will love it. Best I've seen from them since 2001.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

U2 played fir 2.5 hours last night. The show was absolutes incredible. Any true fan will love it. Best I've seen from them since 2001.

Very excited for the show. Thanks for the info :smiley:

• Options
    on2legs said:

nicknyr15 said:

I need to hear bad live!!!
  • Options
    getting back to pj at central park..

is there any better month of the year in nyc than september? maybe early may for a tie, but september in nyc is A+
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

nicknyr15 said:

I need to hear bad live!!!
    Me too... Would love to hear it. I'm eager to see tonight's set list so I can try and predict a few of the variables for Wednesday that they seem to throw in with the night in night out staples.

• Options
    nycrats said:

getting back to pj at central park..

is there any better month of the year in nyc than september? maybe early may for a tie, but september in nyc is A+

It s gonna be great!!! My first pj show was September in NYC. Perfect weather.