Options

Pearl Jam to Headline Global Citizen Festival

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816

MUZIK said:

find it amazing that people are willing to pay $250+ for a 60 minute pearl jam set when the concert is pretty much FREE outside of the vip.

If you were aware of the logistics you wouldn't be. Plus it will be more than 60 minutes. I'm amazed by how many people are trying to make themselves feel better about not going by downplaying the whole thing.
    Haha. Great post
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    MUZIK said:

find it amazing that people are willing to pay $250+ for a 60 minute pearl jam set when the concert is pretty much FREE outside of the vip.

I paid $175. No brainer for me. Guaranteed spot close to the stage without waiting all day, separate entrance so I don't have to battle with the rest of the public and most importantly, VIP bathrooms!

There are so many other more horrendous things I do with $175, so this one seemed like a pretty easy decision :lol:
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Suziemay said:

MUZIK said:

I paid $175. No brainer for me. Guaranteed spot close to the stage without waiting all day, separate entrance so I don't have to battle with the rest of the public and most importantly, VIP bathrooms!

There are so many other more horrendous things I do with $175, so this one seemed like a pretty easy decision :lol:
    And tax-deductible!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    MUZIK said:

you're right.. and they're right too.
    for some people, free is the way to go.
    for others, as pj has a mostly older fanbase, maybe its worth $250 to show up way closer to pj's time than line up for hours all day just to get within a football field of the band. and chances are if they pony up for vip theyll be located near a lot more serious fans, aka non talkers, than if theyre all the way in the back. maybe that person works all week long and wants to spend the whole day with their kids instead of spending all day lining up and listening to music they dont neccessarily love in order to have a decent concert experience. to many, its worth $200 to both see your kids and see pj on a saturday. tickets are usually around $100 anyway, and a lot of people fly to see pj. since this show is within an hour or so train ride for more than 20 million people, it does make sense, even for an abbreviated set.

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    benjs said:

Suziemay said:

MUZIK said:

And tax-deductible!
    Ooh yes, thanks for the reminder! Better start saving that for next year's tax appointment :D
  • Options
    MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627

MUZIK said:

If you were aware of the logistics you wouldn't be. Plus it will be more than 60 minutes. I'm amazed by how many people are trying to make themselves feel better about not going by downplaying the whole thing.
    Who said I wasn't going?

smh

09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    edited July 2015
    nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

for others, as pj has a mostly older fanbase, maybe its worth $250 to show up way closer to pj's time than line up for hours all day just to get within a football field of the band. and chances are if they pony up for vip theyll be located near a lot more serious fans, aka non talkers, than if theyre all the way in the back. maybe that person works all week long and wants to spend the whole day with their kids instead of spending all day lining up and listening to music they dont neccessarily love in order to have a decent concert experience. to many, its worth $200 to both see your kids and see pj on a saturday. tickets are usually around $100 anyway, and a lot of people fly to see pj. since this show is within an hour or so train ride for more than 20 million people, it does make sense, even for an abbreviated set.

This is the exact reason pj needs to get rid of ga next North America tour. I work full time and have a family. I don't have the time to line up for hours/days.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    benjs said:

Suziemay said:

MUZIK said:

And tax-deductible!
    om, where does it say this ticket is tax deductable anywhere?
    i think you may be mistaken there, just in case anyone does try and write this off, you will probably get in some trouble with the irs..

• Options
    nycrats said:

benjs said:

Suziemay said:

MUZIK said:

And tax-deductible!
    i think you may be mistaken there, just in case anyone does try and write this off, you will probably get in some trouble with the irs..

Global Poverty Project (the organization that runs the Global Citizen campaign) is a registered not-for-profit, and charity events are tax deductible with the exception of food and drink, I thought... Not sure if this document is accurate, but this implies it would be.. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2237232-can-i-deduct-the-cost-of-tickets-purchased-for-a-charity-concert-event
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PB196385PB196385 Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Can anyone believe I land in New York from Australia on the 25th of September fir a 7 day visit and scored 2 tickets in VIP3 .... Thank you thank you thank you TEN CLUB !!!
    Only issue is I have my wife who is massive PJ fan and 2 young daughters who love all the other performers - surey DAD wins ?
    Post edited by PB196385 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Suziemay said:

MUZIK said:

This, except it was $150 each for me.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    benjs said:

nycrats said:

benjs said:

Suziemay said:

MUZIK said:

And tax-deductible!

Global Poverty Project (the organization that runs the Global Citizen campaign) is a registered not-for-profit, and charity events are tax deductible with the exception of food and drink, I thought... Not sure if this document is accurate, but this implies it would be.. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2237232-can-i-deduct-the-cost-of-tickets-purchased-for-a-charity-concert-event
    So if you get nothing in VIP 2 or 3 other than to be close up, and all other tickets are given away free...can you deduct the full amount???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

benjs said:

nycrats said:

benjs said:

Suziemay said:

MUZIK said:

And tax-deductible!

So if you get nothing in VIP 2 or 3 other than to be close up, and all other tickets are given away free...can you deduct the full amount???
    i dont know for sure but i would be careful. these tickets were bought at ticketmaster and no where does it say this is a charitable donation. the "value" is being close and having a special
    entrance. i think you would be falsely declaring goods purchased as a write off
  • Options
    nycrats said:

PP193448 said:

benjs said:

nycrats said:

benjs said:

Suziemay said:

MUZIK said:

And tax-deductible!

i dont know for sure but i would be careful. these tickets were bought at ticketmaster and no where does it say this is a charitable donation. the "value" is being close and having a special
    entrance. i think you would be falsely declaring goods purchased as a write off
    At the end of the day - I'm not an accountant, so I'd also second this caution, and suggest if you have one, it's worth asking (and reporting back to us all here :) )

EV
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    MUZIK said:

MUZIK said:

Who said I wasn't going?

smh

Well since none of the random free tickets have been released yet, as of this moment I am saying that.

gyj or some other stupid initials that are intended to make someone else feel stupid even though generally its misdirected.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652

MUZIK said:

MUZIK said:

Who said I wasn't going?

smh

Well since none of the random free tickets have been released yet, as of this moment I am saying that.

gyj or some other stupid initials that are intended to make someone else feel stupid even though generally its misdirected.
    :rofl:
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    ISO 2 VIP tickets please pm.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

This is the exact reason pj needs to get rid of ga next North America tour. I work full time and have a family. I don't have the time to line up for hours/days.
    then don't go for GA, go for seats or get tickets through ticketmaster or look for someone with seats on the board. Not that hard to avoid GA. GA has done surprisingly well for pj barring the line list people, thankfully that shit stopped as it was the most elitist idiotic thing I've ever seen a fanbase of a band do.

Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    edited July 2015

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

then don't go for GA, go for seats or get tickets through ticketmaster or look for someone with seats on the board. Not that hard to avoid GA. GA has done surprisingly well for pj barring the line list people, thankfully that shit stopped as it was the most elitist idiotic thing I've ever seen a fanbase of a band do.

Thanks for the advice. I m quite nervous as the global citizens festival will be my first ga/ Pearl jam show ever.
    And just wondering, how do you know ga has done surprisingly well for pj? Any facts/figures to back that up or just pure speculation?
    By the way, posada was the better catcher compared to carter.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice. I m quite nervous as the global citizens festival will be my first ga/ Pearl jam show ever.
    And just wondering, how do you know ga has done surprisingly well for pj? Any facts/figures to back that up or just pure speculation?
    I went to MIA and it was a piece of cake. Not sure if this was the same but I hadn't been to a GA PJ show since Indio 93 prior to that one. (Which was largely a shit show with some gang bangers there) It appears they pen people off in different areas so if you want to be at the front of your pen I am sure you will be sandwiched. If you are fine being toward the back of the pen I am sure you can just chill and have your own space. Been to some wide open GA shows and depending on the band it was fun or crappy. The crowd for this event should be pretty tame overall.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

I went to MIA and it was a piece of cake. Not sure if this was the same but I hadn't been to a GA PJ show since Indio 93 prior to that one. (Which was largely a shit show with some gang bangers there) It appears they pen people off in different areas so if you want to be at the front of your pen I am sure you will be sandwiched. If you are fine being toward the back of the pen I am sure you can just chill and have your own space. Been to some wide open GA shows and depending on the band it was fun or crappy. The crowd for this event should be pretty tame overall.
    We were at the front of our pen in 2012 and weren't sandwiched at all. I think it was because because people realized they couldn't get any closer and just settled in where they were. No illusions or subconscious ideas that they can make it up front.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

so the band has to get rid of GA because you work full time and have a family and don't have time to line up? comical. take a vacation day then... GAFORLIFE
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

:lol:
    Mookie Wilson or Lenny Dykstra?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853
    lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Close one. Gotta go w/ Nails (the player, not the businessman, ha :who_me:)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

so the band has to get rid of GA because you work full time and have a family and don't have time to line up? comical. take a vacation day then... GAFORLIFE
    yeah having a family and a full time job like many of you just complicates things. Even though I could take a day off I still have to make sure kids are taken care of all day. I miss the days of seating on the floor. And for what it s worth, I didn't see any difference at all in terms of energy level at the ga shows these past two tours as compared to other tours with seating.
    It would be nice if pj did ga like bruce.
    Oh and I m glad you thought I was comical. It made my day.
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Mookie all the way.
  • Options
    seats in front of a rock stage is weak
  • Options
    edited July 2015

seats in front of a rock stage is weak

So I guess all pj shows from 98 to 2011 were weak?
    I saw over 45 shows in that time frame and I can think of one weak pj show: Hershey 03.
  • Options
    who said anything about show quality between '98-'11?? seats in front of a rock stage is weak.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

Thanks for the advice.

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

MUZIK said:

yeah having a family and a full time job like many of you just complicates things. Even though I could take a day off I still have to make sure kids are taken care of all day. I miss the days of seating on the floor. And for what it s worth, I didn't see any difference at all in terms of energy level at the ga shows these past two tours as compared to other tours with seating.
    It would be nice if pj did ga like bruce.
    Oh and I m glad you thought I was comical. It made my day.
    I saw a total difference in energy levels at GA shows compared to previous seated tours!

At the end of the day though, your desire to not have GA and others' desire to have GA are just opinions. GA has its advantages, and its drawbacks, and neither method is perfect. How about one half of the floor is GA, and the other half has seats, and they alternate each show? Maybe then they could gate off the area between the two sides of the floor, and treat it like an extended stage like U2 did on their most recent tour? It really gave everyone a chance to have the "Front Row" experience!

EV