Options

Hair and Beauty Tips

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited March 2016
    Oxyclean won't ruin your shit. Give it a try. I've found that it definitely works better than most other things. That doesn't mean it will take all stains out, but it's probably your best bet, and it's cheap.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    JWPearl said:

i thought everybody knew hairspray gets bubble gum out of hair

it also gets pen/ ink stains out of clothes. I watched a pen mark literally disappear off a silk blouse, like magic. where did the ink go? I don't know
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    PJ_Soul said:

Oxyclean won't ruin your shit. Give it a try. I've found that it definitely works better than most other things. That doesn't mean it will take all stains out, but it's probably your best bet, and it's cheap.

you figure in addition to my regular detergent or in lieu of?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

you figure in addition to my regular detergent or in lieu of?
    I add it to my laundry with the detergent. I also use it for soaking purposes if something is really dirty, then toss it in the wash.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    go easycareful please that
    & i'll tell you why
    today i got a haircut & a beard trimming, nose & ears trimming & my eyebrows sharpened up '

son of a mongrel!
    wow!

still long hair but fixed up nice
    4 inches of beard is in the alley trash can at this gal's hair cutting joint
    she now owns ear hairs coated in wax & thick xtra bulky eyebrows

good luck & goodbye
    till 2019
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    chadwick said:

& i'll tell you why
    today i got a haircut & a beard trimming, nose & ears trimming & my eyebrows sharpened up '

son of a mongrel!
    wow!

good luck & goodbye
    till 2019

see ya in 2019, chadwick.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    chadwick said:

& i'll tell you why

son of a mongrel!
    wow!

good luck & goodbye
    till 2019

It's not that bad man!
    Hang in there.
    Glad to see you cut your hair.
    You have a voice!
  • Options
    the reason for my posting - i've no idea what to do with my hands & mug. seems i always was playin w/ my whiskers. my beard chin area was just a bit longer than my hand is wide, can't do that now, i'm a 1/2 inch long tonight

guess i fidgeted w/ myself moreso than i realized
    this aint worth a shit as of yet

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    chadwick'll be back in beard-business/beard-country in a month. I'd put money on it!

My guy does that with his eyebrows when lost in thought. I tell him he's gonna end up like Bowie - minus the mullet and large hoops.

(note that my immature ass refrainedfrom joking about your half-inch comment =) )
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    oh i've a beard for sure, it's just nice & polite v' gnarly & fulla earthy materials. seems bowie fidgeted w/ his eyebrows one too many times. i myself was being immature when writing on my half inchness
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I'm going through this thread, and not really seeing it touched on too much, so I'm just going to go ahead and ask....
    I never had acne as a kid....I have it now as an adult....I eat well...I drink lots of water, I wash my face with good face wash that gets my face deep clean but I continue to break out...I've tried everything I can come up with....so I come to you guys...I have oily/combination skin.

Ideas?
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

I'm going through this thread, and not really seeing it touched on too much, so I'm just going to go ahead and ask....
    I never had acne as a kid....I have it now as an adult....I eat well...I drink lots of water, I wash my face with good face wash that gets my face deep clean but I continue to break out...I've tried everything I can come up with....so I come to you guys...I have oily/combination skin.

Ideas?

Stress can cause acne, I'm sorry to say. It causes imbalances in the hormones and leqds to all kinds of shit, as many of us know, and acne is one of those things (apparently it's a fairly common symptom). Unfortunately, i have no advice for that that you probably haven't already heard.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJSiren said:

Ideas?

Stress can cause acne, I'm sorry to say. It causes imbalances in the hormones and leqds to all kinds of shit, as many of us know, and acne is one of those things (apparently it's a fairly common symptom). Unfortunately, i have no advice for that that you probably haven't already heard.
    oh, and also overuse of deep cleansers can also over stress skin causing breakouts. Might want to use the deep cleaner every other day and use a gentle neutral cleanser in-between.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Hmmm, I didn't know that RK, it says for daily use...I'll use it one day, then my goat soap one and back and forth and see if that helps, thanks!

I thought about the stress too PJ_Soul....but I have the same breakouts even during times when I'm not going through stressful stuff, so I just don't know...I can't figure it out.

The acne started at around age 23/24....and I never had it growing up except for the occasional pimple...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    It does at the very least seem hormone related.... have you talked to a doctor? I knew a guy with terrible adult acne and he ended up on some prescription meds for it that he took religiously for 6 months and it really really helped. However, he couldn't drink while taking it, so that's a point against it, lol.
  • Options
    haha, I don't drink anyway....I had a horrible incident with whiskey about 2 years ago and I haven't been able to stomach alcohol since....

but no I haven't talked to one yet....that's my next step....I've been trying to solve it on my own.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    it's also a side effect of some medications. Maybe double check the side effects list of anything you're on. It might be all the way at the bottom but it could still effect you
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Yup, the three ladies above me have great input, PJS. All worth considering.

And, do NOT let them give you Accutane. Bad bad stuff.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    PJSiren said:

Ideas?

I started getting acne in my thirties. Went to the dermatologist, spent a shit ton on scripts Both pills and lotions. After a few years I finally bit the bullet and did Proactive. In 2 weeks my skin was clear. I used it for years b/c I was afraid to stop but when I did my face never broke out again. freakin miracle that stuff. I swear by it.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

PJSiren said:

Ideas?

I started getting acne in my thirties. Went to the dermatologist, spent a shit ton on scripts Both pills and lotions. After a few years I finally bit the bullet and did Proactive. In 2 weeks my skin was clear. I used it for years b/c I was afraid to stop but when I did my face never broke out again. freakin miracle that stuff. I swear by it.
    I tried proactive....It didn't work for me.....lol, see I've tried it all...I've used Proactive, I've used Cetaphil, Witch Hazel, Clinique, Neutrogena, Clearasil(sp?)(as well as all the other grocery store brands that I can't think of names), Mary Kay, Avon, tried the toothpaste trick, my regular doctor gave me a RX spot treatment when I lived in KY, it didn't do anything, I've used adult care spot treatment....I use only the best make ups because I can't use anything with parabens in them due to my migraines, so I never buy make up except mascara at the grocery store, I buy my make up at Ulta or Sephora. I try really hard not to touch my face through out the day....I drink a lot of water, I don't drink much soda....even though we can get free soda at work....I do splurge on chocolate on occasion, but I don't feel like it's often enough to be the problem....I eat fairly decently, I eat my veggies and salads, and stuff. I don't drink coffee, though I have no idea if that would be an acne causer or not, I drink tea sometimes. I looked up the medication I've been on since the issue started back when I was 23/24 which is the celexa, and it said way way way down almost buried acne, like it was an after thought side effect that was reported infrequently. So I don't know if that's got anything to do with it...I have been off the medication at times as well and still had the acne so I don't know.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJS, have you tried looking for a product with salicylic acid in it?

Benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria that cause pimples-so it's more of a preventative.
    Salicylic acid dries the skin to help with the oiliness of the skin.
    A good AHA or product with glycolic acid which exfoliates will also help.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited March 2016
    I have awful skin due to PCOS, I presume you don't suffer from this condition PJSiren? (You'd have very erratic periods)

I was prescribed the pill as a treatment for the acne but it was sod all help
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    I blend these two together in equal parts and then put it on before bed. You can wear it overnight(let it dry first) or for just 20 mins at a go. Clears up my skin and it feels so good afterwards. It is pricey but it doesn't take a lot so it lasts a while.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    I always thought that there is no hair and beauty tips.
    As you age there is nothing you can do to reverse it.
    Women products are insanely overpriced.
    There is no such thing as a wrinkle remover.
  • Options

Not about "reversing age" - about feeling good. My skins feels better when it gets the lotion - ha! Hair feels better with conditioner, etc.. This can't be a new concept?

Shit in general is overpriced for sure. Some is worth it, some not. Maybe part of the intent of this thread?
  • Options
    i feel better after a shower using body wash soap vs. bar soaps although dove works pretty good. also i must use conditioner in my hair or it can not be picked out worth a frigg. mrs. chadwick has been calling me little shirley temple. guess im a dick

another thing & it is lovely of her, 77% of the time she has to pick out this disastrous madness that is my hair. if i do not pick it out for a day or two therein lies these amazing tangles beginning the erecting of dreadlocks or some such shit

also i gotta use detangler everyday. currently using a kid's version as they quit selling the brand i was using. they both work nicely

life is good when you're the king

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick, I love it. Kid's stuff is great (I use a Sponge Bob toothbrush for god's sake), as is Frizz Ease.

And damned if Shirley Temple didn't make me think of her Good Ship Lollipop song and how some of the lyrics were hilariously inappropriate.

"Happy landing on a chocolate bar" indeed!

(not that there's anything wrong with that)
  • Options
    guess i'll play that song sometime soon. i do remember but not at all fully

does your sponge bob toothbrush kick seriously?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

It's nothing to do with ageing. My skin gets so bad I don't even feel I can leave the house. So these are much more than 'beauty tips' for some people, it's about self-esteem
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    PJ what about birth control pill. That outta do it! Regulates hormones and thats what it sounds like to me. After all the stuff you have tried maybe it's internal. Stress and or hormones?
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!