Options

Hair and Beauty Tips

Comments

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    SD48277 said:

PJ_Soul said:

SD48277 said:

Sorry PJ_Soul, I tried to find some B&B Deep in my local stores, but no luck.

The whole world is tapped. :( But wow, that is so nice that you thought to check! Thank you! :)
    I just tried to send you a PM, and it went on your wall by mistake. Sorry. I can ask Kat or Sea to remove it, if you want.
    Here's a beauty tip for one's own wall :wink:....you can delete anything on your wall no matter who put it up by hovering the mouse in the upper right hand corner and clicking the x.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2015
    If you apply shampoo then lather, rinse and repeat your hair gets cleaned.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    I learned some things from my hair-dresser yesterday. I went there with a wet head and she wanted to know what the *#)@ I put in my hair.

"I didn't put nothing in my @*#$-ing hair!", I replied.

"Your hair is stiff as a *@)#-ing board" was her retort. I then told her that I used coconut water shampoo. She yanked out one of my hairs. "#&$@!" I said. Then she yanked out one of her own. I felt no consolation.

She did a demonstration where she pulled her hair between her fingers, and because it was elastic, it went with the pull. Mine snapped right away.

To make a long story short, here is a re-cap of what I learned.

For people who use color on their hair or have dry, brittle hair, stay away from "clarifying" shampoos. What you want to look for is "moisture". No matter what the hair type, stay away from suave, white rain, and pantene. Pantene used to be decent but they changed it she said. Shampoo for people who color their hair will always have the moisture feature and can also be good for people with hair that breaks easily or is dry.

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Thanks rollings ^^^

Anyone know of an excellent foot/heel cream??? I have one I've been using but hate but using because I paid for it. It's finally almost gone. This time I'd rather purchase something that works. Imagine that.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,585
    edited November 2015
    FoxyRedLa said:

Thanks rollings ^^^

Anyone know of an excellent foot/heel cream??? I have one I've been using but hate but using because I paid for it. It's finally almost gone. This time I'd rather purchase something that works. Imagine that.

I just use Freeman's Barefoot Repair for cracked heels. It's cheap and works well IMO. The instructions say to use twice a day until a cracked heel issue is healed, but I just use it on a semi-regular basis all over my feet as a moisturizer and it keeps my feet soft in combination with the Dr. Scholl's foot sander or whatever it is, lol. Works great. Replacement rolls are pricey, but not nearly as much as pedicures.
    I'm sure there is probably better foot cream out there, but this stuff works fine applied daily or a few times a week, and it's only around $6 or something for a tube that lasts at least a couple of months.
    Generally, anything made for severe foot dryness/cracking will work great for general moisturizing as well. But what do you hate about the stuff you've been using? Doesn't work? Or something else?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Ok, Mr. RK's friend told me about this...a guy, and he swears by it.

Baby Foot... http://babyfoot.com/
    WARNING THERE ARE GROSS PICS ON THE SITE!
    I bought it, washed my feet, soaked them in a warm foot bath for 20 minutes, put the booties on my feet, put on some slipper socks over the booties, sat on the couch for an hour and a half. The booties have a gel in them so you don't want to walk around too much...it's squishy.
    After my time was up, I took off the socks, washed my feet and went about my day. DO NOT put lotion on, you are waiting for them to peel. Every day I soaked my feet in a hot water bath for half an hour. After a few days huge sheets of skin came off, all of my callouses and cracks disappeared. It took about a week for all the skin to peel off. My feet were so soft...they were amazing. You do want to wear socks to let your feet sweat, it helps them peel. I have tried everything, Shea butter, cocoa butter, Vaseline, grasps, files, everything. This was the best thing ever. I put lotion on every day, and my feet are still soft. Take off polish if you have it on your toes, the peel will melt the polish. My skin is very sensitive and dru and I didn't have any adverse reactions to the peel.

If you Google pictures, be prepared to be grossed out. I'm going to do it again before summer. Best $20 foot treatment ever.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ^^ Hardcore! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    let me tell you folks what drives me absolutely bananas... hair-dryers

son of a bitch
    i'm actually having a fit right now just typing this out

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    chadwick said:

let me tell you folks what drives me absolutely bananas... hair-dryers

son of a bitch
    i'm actually having a fit right now just typing this out

What is it about hair-dryers that drives you nuts?
    They are an unfortunate necessity for me! Huge pain in the butt, but if I didn't use one every single day I'd look like a Yetti.
  • Options
    i just dislike them
    can't say much more or i'll be banned

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    PJ_Soul said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Thanks rollings ^^^

I just use Freeman's Barefoot Repair for cracked heels. It's cheap and works well IMO. The instructions say to use twice a day until a cracked heel issue is healed, but I just use it on a semi-regular basis all over my feet as a moisturizer and it keeps my feet soft in combination with the Dr. Scholl's foot sander or whatever it is, lol. Works great. Replacement rolls are pricey, but not nearly as much as pedicures.
    I'm sure there is probably better foot cream out there, but this stuff works fine applied daily or a few times a week, and it's only around $6 or something for a tube that lasts at least a couple of months.
    Generally, anything made for severe foot dryness/cracking will work great for general moisturizing as well. But what do you hate about the stuff you've been using? Doesn't work? Or something else?
    Terrific! I'll give it a try thanks!

Yes I don't like it. Doesn't work. It's specific for rough feet and it's like putting water on.
    RKCNDY said:

I bought it, washed my feet, soaked them in a warm foot bath for 20 minutes, put the booties on my feet, put on some slipper socks over the booties, sat on the couch for an hour and a half. The booties have a gel in them so you don't want to walk around too much...it's squishy.
    After my time was up, I took off the socks, washed my feet and went about my day. DO NOT put lotion on, you are waiting for them to peel. Every day I soaked my feet in a hot water bath for half an hour. After a few days huge sheets of skin came off, all of my callouses and cracks disappeared. It took about a week for all the skin to peel off. My feet were so soft...they were amazing. You do want to wear socks to let your feet sweat, it helps them peel. I have tried everything, Shea butter, cocoa butter, Vaseline, grasps, files, everything. This was the best thing ever. I put lotion on every day, and my feet are still soft. Take off polish if you have it on your toes, the peel will melt the polish. My skin is very sensitive and dru and I didn't have any adverse reactions to the peel.

If you Google pictures, be prepared to be grossed out. I'm going to do it again before summer. Best $20 foot treatment ever.

Wow. I don't know what to say :lol: However, I have a newborn in the house and won't be able to try this out right away. I have to be quick on my feet. But I will keep this in mind and try it!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,754
    My sister swears by this stuff.
    http://www.footlogix.com/
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited December 2015
    As one who typically goes barefoot at home, I'm always up for the tootsie softening stuff. Pretty sure my pussy-ass can't handle the peeling side of it though.

Sorry, RK, think I'm gonna try out our Canadian friend's suggestion :)

An aside, I was thinking about this thread the other day and that Egyptian face stuff mentioned earlier. Might give that a go too (with a big fat screw-you to Neutrogena).
  • Options
    it's cool Hedo...I didn't want to try it at first, I researched it and it basically forces your skin to let go of the dry cracked stuff and renew faster. Doesn't hurt...it's like peeling off the skin when you have a sunburn, kinda morbid but oh so fun!

As soon as I finish off some of my lotion collection I will get the Egyptian cream stuff too...pretty sure I saw it at Costco.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    RKCNDY said:

it's cool Hedo...I didn't want to try it at first, I researched it and it basically forces your skin to let go of the dry cracked stuff and renew faster. Doesn't hurt...it's like peeling off the skin when you have a sunburn, kinda morbid but oh so fun!

As soon as I finish off some of my lotion collection I will get the Egyptian cream stuff too...pretty sure I saw it at Costco.

I was on that website for a good 15 minutes when you first posted it. I just can't see myself using the stuff though. I have carpet, so what am I going to do? Sit in the bathroom for an hour and a half? More importantly it's rare that I'll be able to go 90 minutes without having to get up for some reason, and impossible for me to soak my feet every day.

I might do a paraffin treatment next time I get a pedicure. Unlikely, cuz I think it takes like an hour - but I might consider it. I do hate my feet now though, so win for the cosmetics industry!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

I was on that website for a good 15 minutes when you first posted it. I just can't see myself using the stuff though. I have carpet, so what am I going to do? Sit in the bathroom for an hour and a half? More importantly it's rare that I'll be able to go 90 minutes without having to get up for some reason, and impossible for me to soak my feet every day.

I might do a paraffin treatment next time I get a pedicure. Unlikely, cuz I think it takes like an hour - but I might consider it. I do hate my feet now though, so win for the cosmetics industry!
    I suppose you could put shoes on over the socks. I sat on the couch for that long and hobbled to the bathroom to wash off. You don't *really* have to soak your feet every day, it just speeds up the process. It can take up to 2 weeks if you don't. Some reviewers said that just plugging the drain while showering was a good enough soak. It's just the concept of when you sit in the bath for a long time and your skin gets all wrinkly...the gel peel just helps your skin peel off.

They are having a 2-for-1 sale today on the site, so I placed an order. My skin tends to dry out in the winter because of the cold.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    RKCNDY said:

My sister and I have what I call Flintstone Feet...Rectangular with a really big Big Toe! LOL...They look just like my dads!!! Anyway, we get a callous on that big toe that we're forever filing or shaving with a blade. I actually like my feet, but they need maintenance! After a pedicure they look adorable! My friend used babyfeet and didn't have much success but since they did a BOGO yesterday I went for it. One for me, one for her. As long as I get it soon I'll try mine before Christmas :-)
    Thanks for the recommendation!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    anyone have corns?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Sprunkn...I read that the daily soaks really help with the peeling. I was having fun grossing out Mr. RK peeling the skin off...your friend might have a better outcome the second time around too. Mr. RK's friend did it twice since his feet were so bad.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Don't forget about the gadget I spouted off about in the summer. It works really well (anything similar would too I imagine). This thing combined with a good foot moisturizer is way more effective than paraffin treatments Ident. I've done paraffin treatments, and have always been disappointing, especially when it comes to how long the effects last, which is not at all beyond a couple of days (and these were good treatments at good spas).

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    RKCNDY said:

Sprunkn...I read that the daily soaks really help with the peeling. I was having fun grossing out Mr. RK peeling the skin off...your friend might have a better outcome the second time around too. Mr. RK's friend did it twice since his feet were so bad.

I talked to her today and she got the imitation stuff that comes in Japanese...lol.
    I'll def do the soaking once a night to help speed things up.

Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    we always used to put beer in our hair now i know why i should continue with it
    thought id share
    http://thescienceofeating.com/2015/11/27/8-myths-about-beauty-youve-never-believed-but-are-actually-true/
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

we always used to put beer in our hair now i know why i should continue with it
    thought id share
    http://thescienceofeating.com/2015/11/27/8-myths-about-beauty-youve-never-believed-but-are-actually-true/

Whoa. Is that photo of the long hair an example of what washing with beer can do??? Because that is pretty dramatic! But wouldn't your hair smell like beer, which is pretty gross?
  • Options
    once you wash and condition your hair you cant smell it
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

once you wash and condition your hair you cant smell it

Oh, it said in the article that the effect only lasts until your next shampoo, so I figured you can't shampoo and condition after the beer treatment. They should have explained the procedure!
  • Options
    no the vitamins still enrich your hair but we used to leave it in our hair for an hour or so then wash it out without shampoo but use conditioner
    its an old remedy my mum used when she was in her teens
    shes 72 now
  • Options
    How do I find/choose/pick out a face skin cream?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,754
    You want to know what kind of skin you have(dry, oily or combination) and what you want out of your face cream(spf, skin firming, day cream or night Cream, etc.).
    I use Eminence, sold through spas that do facials etc., which I find really good but it's pricey. Anyway if you go into a spa and talk to someone there they should be able to provide you with samples. This will allow you to try out the product and how it reacts with your chemistry.
    Stay away from drug store creams, they are usually crap.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Aww crap. The only spa in the neighborhood just bounced like two weeks ago. How do I find out what sort of skin I have? Or is that something the spa is supposed to tell you?
  • Options
    You can take some tissue paper (or one of those toilet seat covers) and press it against your face. Make sure you press against your forehead, nose chin and cheeks. Remove tissue, and examine it. Do you see an oily face print? Or do you see splotches of oil mostly around your forehead and nose? The former would indicate oily skin, the latter combination. Little to no oily residue means normal, we all have some natural oil on our face. if your face feels dry, papery, or looks dull, you have dry skin.
    Don't use Kleenex, it will absorb the oil too fast. You can go from there. Try to stay away from parabens.

- Christopher McCandless