Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited January 2017

PJ_Soul said:

It remains to be seen if the punishment will be swift though. It usually isn't. But the guy seems to have been trying to get the DP (which is an argument against this sentence IMO), so perhaps there won't be a bunch of appeals, which would drag this out for years. Plus the federal government has only put 3 other people to death since the federal death penalty was reinstated in the '80s. The Justice Department has actually declared a moratorium on federal executions anyhow, while they review the policy.
    Isn't it ironic that the Church in which the victims were killed actually opposes the death penalty? Also, 65% of black people polled oppose the death sentence for Roof, while only 35% of white people polled oppose it. Huh.
    The process is too long given what we have here- irrefutable guilt. Just march him downstairs, erase his blemish on society, and let his moment become a memory.

Critics are speaking to the fact that the ensuing trials will cause additional pain and suffering by survivors. The same pain and suffering occurs when news of him applying for parole... or getting married to some idiot happens as well.

If the punishment meant prison for life- and by life I mean life where he dies in prison- and with no measures to make his stay comfortable such as protective custody... I'd be okay with that.
    He would never be eligible for parole, and I seriously doubt he'd be able to do shit like get married either. He'd be kept in a cell 23.5 hours a day. Those kinds of prisoners don't get the kinds of perks you're talking about. Not sure what you mean by protective custody. He'd be locked up alone all the time as punishment, not as a favour. Sounds as though you'd like for him to be in general population so he can be murdered, but I'm sure you see the flaw in that idea.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

god bless america is close to the stupidest and most arrogant thing a human can muster.

Allah wills it ranks up there.
    at least they aren't shouting for allah to bless a man-made geographical area. that is just such a stupid concept to me.
    Don't get me wrong... I'm not in disagreement with you.
    Makes me cringe as well.
    "And may God continue to bless the United States of America." Obama, 1/10/17
    If anything, God would be pissed off at the United States of America (if God existed), and Jesus would be rolling in his grave.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

god bless america is close to the stupidest and most arrogant thing a human can muster.

Allah wills it ranks up there.
    at least they aren't shouting for allah to bless a man-made geographical area. that is just such a stupid concept to me.
    Don't get me wrong... I'm not in disagreement with you.
    Makes me cringe as well.
    "And may God continue to bless the United States of America." Obama, 1/10/17
    If anything, God would be pissed off at the United States of America (if God existed), and Jesus would be rolling in his grave.
    of course She would be, you know everything... OH CANADA!!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It remains to be seen if the punishment will be swift though. It usually isn't. But the guy seems to have been trying to get the DP (which is an argument against this sentence IMO), so perhaps there won't be a bunch of appeals, which would drag this out for years. Plus the federal government has only put 3 other people to death since the federal death penalty was reinstated in the '80s. The Justice Department has actually declared a moratorium on federal executions anyhow, while they review the policy.
    Isn't it ironic that the Church in which the victims were killed actually opposes the death penalty? Also, 65% of black people polled oppose the death sentence for Roof, while only 35% of white people polled oppose it. Huh.
    The process is too long given what we have here- irrefutable guilt. Just march him downstairs, erase his blemish on society, and let his moment become a memory.

Critics are speaking to the fact that the ensuing trials will cause additional pain and suffering by survivors. The same pain and suffering occurs when news of him applying for parole... or getting married to some idiot happens as well.

If the punishment meant prison for life- and by life I mean life where he dies in prison- and with no measures to make his stay comfortable such as protective custody... I'd be okay with that.
    He would never be eligible for parole, and I seriously doubt he'd be able to do shit like get married either. He'd be kept in a cell 23.5 hours a day. Those kinds of prisoners don't get the kinds of perks you're talking about. Not sure what you mean by protective custody. He'd be locked up alone all the time as punishment, not as a favour. Sounds as though you'd like for him to be in general population so he can be murdered, but I'm sure you see the flaw in that idea.
    Those kinds of prisoners do get the perks I'm talking about. They've been referenced several times. For gawds sakes... Charles Manson was married behind bars.

Yah. I don't think we have any obligation to not only extend mercy by imprisoning some mutant mass murderer instead of executing him let alone protect him more than we would any other 'normal' prisoner because we are worried about his welfare in prison.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited January 2017

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Those kinds of prisoners do get the perks I'm talking about. They've been referenced several times. For gawds sakes... Charles Manson was married behind bars.

Yah. I don't think we have any obligation to not only extend mercy by imprisoning some mutant mass murderer instead of executing him let alone protect him more than we would any other 'normal' prisoner because we are worried about his welfare in prison.
    Charles Manson hasn't had the same prison experience as Roof would; not even close. Manson never even actually murdered anyone in fact. He just convinced other people to.

As for supermax lockdown... keeping someone in a cell for the rest of his life isn't done for protection. It's done for punishment. But it also doesn't serve anyone else in the general population to allow someone into it who will be murdered. Throwing a man at them to be killed is harmful to other people there. Anyway, seems to me that Roof wants to be executed. I figure when someone wants to be executed, those who are into murdering murderers should refuse them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Charles Manson hasn't had the same prison experience as Roof would. Manson never even actually murdered anyone in fact. He just convinced other people to.
    Clifford Olsen then.

Want a few more? How about David Shearing? Just talking off the top of my head and regionally.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

how do you know?
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Different continent but that piece of shit in Norway that killed all those kids at the camp plays video games, has tv, etc...sheesh.

This guy dylann deserves not even the most basic pleasures..off him asap
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Charles Manson hasn't had the same prison experience as Roof would. Manson never even actually murdered anyone in fact. He just convinced other people to.
    how do you know? please enlighten. thanks....
  • Options

Families of Charleston victims grapple with forgiveness and death:
    https://theintercept.com/2017/01/10/would-dylann-roofs-execution-bring-justice-families-of-victims-grapple-with-forgiveness-and-death/

Just an interesting article that some might want to read. Many perspectives when it comes to this story.
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

Different continent but that piece of shit in Norway that killed all those kids at the camp plays video games, has tv, etc...sheesh.

Yah... but the video games aren't that fantastic- that's why he went on a hunger strike (to protest). Further... he has to wait a whole 20 years before applying for parole.

And it was only 70 young people he killed. It's not like he killed a 100 or something like that.
  • Options

Wma31394 said:

Yah... but the video games aren't that fantastic- that's why he went on a hunger strike (to protest). Further... he has to wait a whole 20 years before applying for parole.

And it was only 70 young people he killed. It's not like he killed a 100 or something like that.
    ? Norway doesn't have the death penalty, and, just like in Canada, it doesn't have a sentence of life without parole. He got the maximum sentence possible. If he'd killed 300 he would have received the same sentence. That doesn't mean he'll get parole obviously.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

? Norway doesn't have the death penalty, and, just like in Canada, it doesn't have a sentence of life without parole. He got the maximum sentence possible. If he'd killed 300 he would have received the same sentence. That doesn't mean he'll get parole obviously.
    Oh I know.

My point is: my they sure have been fair with him, eh? It's extreme. Short of making him say "sorry"... this is leniency at its finest.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

My point is: my they sure have been fair with him, eh? It's extreme. Short of making him say "sorry"... this is leniency at its finest.
    Well, they don't deal with him the way they do for his sake. They are like that for their own sakes. They are pretty big believers in the idea that the treatment of prisoners is a direct reflection of them as a people, and that treating prisoners relatively well (while keeping citizens safe) is actually more beneficial for their society (and souls, if you will) than treating prisoners with a strong sense of revenge would be. I personally agree with that idea. I know that you don't.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

Well, they don't deal with him the way they do for his sake. They are like that for their own sakes. They are pretty big believers in the idea that the treatment of prisoners is a direct reflection of them as a people, and that treating prisoners relatively well (while keeping citizens safe) is actually more beneficial for their society (and souls, if you will) than treating prisoners with a strong sense of revenge would be. I personally agree with that idea. I know that you don't.
    exactly my philosophy.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

No. I don't. I don't give two shits about some sane shithead that kills 70 of our children to make a political statement. It is worse for society to hear of his musings and hear of his antics behind bars than it is to erase him from society. Every time he complains that his video games aren't the ones he wants... it is a reminder of a horrific event and of the failure of the judicial system to do what it is supposed to do- deliver justice.

His country club is the farthest thing imaginable from justice- a term confused with 'revenge' on the part of those eager to display they're heightened levels of enlightenment. 70 kids decompose... and he gets state paid university degrees, hot meals, video games, and kayaking.

Are you f**king serious? (asked to nobody)
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

No. I don't. I don't give two shits about some sane shithead that kills 70 of our children to make a political statement. It is worse for society to hear of his musings and hear of his antics behind bars than it is to erase him from society. Every time he complains that his video games aren't the ones he wants... it is a reminder of a horrific event and of the failure of the judicial system to do what it is supposed to do- deliver justice.

His country club is the farthest thing imaginable from justice- a term confused with 'revenge' on the part of those eager to display they're heightened levels of enlightenment. 70 kids decompose... and he gets state paid university degrees, hot meals, video games, and kayaking.

Yea what a fucking joke...unreal.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    TB should we bring the DP to Canada starting tomorrow?
  • Options

TB should we bring the DP to Canada starting tomorrow?

Yup
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

maybe one last time will do the trick: IT'S. NOT. ABOUT. THE. PRISONERS. IT'S. ABOUT. SOCIETY.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

maybe one last time will do the trick: IT'S. NOT. ABOUT. THE. PRISONERS. IT'S. ABOUT. SOCIETY.
    MAYBE. YOU. CAN. TRY. READING.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

In particular... this part of my post that speaks to what is better for society: It is worse for society to hear of his musings and hear of his antics behind bars than it is to erase him from society. Every time he complains that his video games aren't the ones he wants... it is a reminder of a horrific event and of the failure of the judicial system to do what it is supposed to do- deliver justice.

And don't forget this part that speaks to 'justice': His country club is the farthest thing imaginable from justice- a term confused with 'revenge' on the part of those eager to display they're heightened levels of enlightenment. 70 kids decompose... and he gets state paid university degrees, hot meals, video games, and kayaking.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

In particular... this part of my post that speaks to what is better for society: It is worse for society to hear of his musings and hear of his antics behind bars than it is to erase him from society. Every time he complains that his video games aren't the ones he wants... it is a reminder of a horrific event and of the failure of the judicial system to do what it is supposed to do- deliver justice.

And don't forget this part that speaks to 'justice': His country club is the farthest thing imaginable from justice- a term confused with 'revenge' on the part of those eager to display they're heightened levels of enlightenment. 70 kids decompose... and he gets state paid university degrees, hot meals, video games, and kayaking.
    And yet, overall, their justice system works far better than that of the USA. It does a far better job of protecting its citizens from these incidents, which is really the point, isn't it?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

And yet, overall, their justice system works far better than that of the USA. It does a far better job of protecting its citizens from these incidents, which is really the point, isn't it?
    You're crediting Norway's justice system for their safer society?

I'm not. I'd be crediting their public health, education, and social services much before I'd credit their open prison system.
  • Options
    And no... some might insist that the point of locking people up for murdering 70 kids is to make sure the mass murderer doesn't do it again... others think the point of locking him up is to administer justice (which, as I have said, has not been achieved).
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

I did read it. I just don't agree with it.

a wise man once said "he who forgets the past is doomed to repeat it". if your objective of executing him is to forget the incident, the tragedy, the 70 kids that are gone, forgetting what he did and how the justice system failed accomplishes nothing. if anything it's counter-productive to the very thing you wish to see: justice.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

a wise man once said "he who forgets the past is doomed to repeat it". if your objective of executing him is to forget the incident, the tragedy, the 70 kids that are gone, forgetting what he did and how the justice system failed accomplishes nothing. if anything it's counter-productive to the very thing you wish to see: justice.
    So... judging from this discussion... you feel that state funded university degrees, hot meals, kayaking, and video games in Norway's open prison system is an appropriate form of justice for a mass murderer that executed 70 children on a shooting spree?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

So... judging from this discussion... you feel that state funded university degrees, hot meals, kayaking, and video games in Norway's open prison system is an appropriate form of justice for a mass murderer that executed 70 children on a shooting spree?
    nope. we've covered this many times. if that is what he really gets to do, then that's a big fat NOPE.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

nope. we've covered this many times. if that is what he really gets to do, then that's a big fat NOPE.
    That's what he really gets to do.

So at a minimum, we are in agreement with the fact that Norway's response to his obscenity is a far cry from justice.

If we limit the choices to the extreme positions... in response to the mass murder of 70 children... do you think Norway's society is better served for:

1. Housing Anders, paying for university degrees, giving him video games and offering recreational pursuits such as kayaking?

or

2. Executing him?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

You're crediting Norway's justice system for their safer society?

I'm not. I'd be crediting their public health, education, and social services much before I'd credit their open prison system.
    Their justice system is part of a whole system of thought that is driven by their values and goals as a society. It's inextricably interwoven with their public health, education and social services, because they understand how any one of those affects the others. It doesn't stand alone. And yes, their approach has an evidence base supporting its efficacy in reducing crime.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

That's what he really gets to do.

So at a minimum, we are in agreement with the fact that Norway's response to his obscenity is a far cry from justice.

If we limit the choices to the extreme positions... in response to the mass murder of 70 children... do you think Norway's society is better served for:

1. Housing Anders, paying for university degrees, giving him video games and offering recreational pursuits such as kayaking?

or

2. Executing him?
    you know what my answer is. #1, every single time. as much as it angers me, #1.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com