Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    PJ_Soul said:

It remains to be seen if the punishment will be swift though. It usually isn't. But the guy seems to have been trying to get the DP (which is an argument against this sentence IMO), so perhaps there won't be a bunch of appeals, which would drag this out for years. Plus the federal government has only put 3 other people to death since the federal death penalty was reinstated in the '80s. The Justice Department has actually declared a moratorium on federal executions anyhow, while they review the policy.
    Isn't it ironic that the Church in which the victims were killed actually opposes the death penalty? Also, 65% of black people polled oppose the death sentence for Roof, while only 35% of white people polled oppose it. Huh.
    Who conducted that poll? I'm way behind in this thread, so sorry if you've answered it later on.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It remains to be seen if the punishment will be swift though. It usually isn't. But the guy seems to have been trying to get the DP (which is an argument against this sentence IMO), so perhaps there won't be a bunch of appeals, which would drag this out for years. Plus the federal government has only put 3 other people to death since the federal death penalty was reinstated in the '80s. The Justice Department has actually declared a moratorium on federal executions anyhow, while they review the policy.
    Isn't it ironic that the Church in which the victims were killed actually opposes the death penalty? Also, 65% of black people polled oppose the death sentence for Roof, while only 35% of white people polled oppose it. Huh.
    The process is too long given what we have here- irrefutable guilt. Just march him downstairs, erase his blemish on society, and let his moment become a memory.

Critics are speaking to the fact that the ensuing trials will cause additional pain and suffering by survivors. The same pain and suffering occurs when news of him applying for parole... or getting married to some idiot happens as well.

If the punishment meant prison for life- and by life I mean life where he dies in prison- and with no measures to make his stay comfortable such as protective custody... I'd be okay with that.
    He would never be eligible for parole, and I seriously doubt he'd be able to do shit like get married either. He'd be kept in a cell 23.5 hours a day. Those kinds of prisoners don't get the kinds of perks you're talking about. Not sure what you mean by protective custody. He'd be locked up alone all the time as punishment, not as a favour. Sounds as though you'd like for him to be in general population so he can be murdered, but I'm sure you see the flaw in that idea.
    Those kinds of prisoners do get the perks I'm talking about. They've been referenced several times. For gawds sakes... Charles Manson was married behind bars.

Yah. I don't think we have any obligation to not only extend mercy by imprisoning some mutant mass murderer instead of executing him let alone protect him more than we would any other 'normal' prisoner because we are worried about his welfare in prison.
    Charles Manson hasn't had the same prison experience as Roof would; not even close. Manson never even actually murdered anyone in fact. He just convinced other people to.

As for supermax lockdown... keeping someone in a cell for the rest of his life isn't done for protection. It's done for punishment. But it also doesn't serve anyone else in the general population to allow someone into it who will be murdered. Throwing a man at them to be killed is harmful to other people there. Anyway, seems to me that Roof wants to be executed. I figure when someone wants to be executed, those who are into murdering murderers should refuse them.
    If you think this kid wants to die, you're incredibly naive. If he wanted to die that badly, he never would have been arrested. He would have had the balls to put the gun in his mouth when he was finished.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Different continent but that piece of shit in Norway that killed all those kids at the camp plays video games, has tv, etc...sheesh.

This guy dylann deserves not even the most basic pleasures..off him asap

Yah... but the video games aren't that fantastic- that's why he went on a hunger strike (to protest). Further... he has to wait a whole 20 years before applying for parole.

And it was only 70 young people he killed. It's not like he killed a 100 or something like that.
    ? Norway doesn't have the death penalty, and, just like in Canada, it doesn't have a sentence of life without parole. He got the maximum sentence possible. If he'd killed 300 he would have received the same sentence. That doesn't mean he'll get parole obviously.
    Oh I know.

My point is: my they sure have been fair with him, eh? It's extreme. Short of making him say "sorry"... this is leniency at its finest.
    Well, they don't deal with him the way they do for his sake. They are like that for their own sakes. They are pretty big believers in the idea that the treatment of prisoners is a direct reflection of them as a people, and that treating prisoners relatively well (while keeping citizens safe) is actually more beneficial for their society (and souls, if you will) than treating prisoners with a strong sense of revenge would be. I personally agree with that idea. I know that you don't.
    exactly my philosophy.
    I don't disagree, but I simply do not think roof can be rehabilitated. That kind of hate and evil doesn't just go away.
  • Options
    Let's take some of the attention away from this asshole and remember these people:
    Rev. Clementa Pinckney, 41
    Cynthia Hurd, 54
    Rev. Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45
    Tywanza Sanders, 26
    Ethel Lance, 70
    Susie Jackson, 87
    Depayne Middleton Doctor, 49
    Rev. Daniel Simmons, 74
    Myra Thompson, 59
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

The process is too long given what we have here- irrefutable guilt. Just march him downstairs, erase his blemish on society, and let his moment become a memory.

Critics are speaking to the fact that the ensuing trials will cause additional pain and suffering by survivors. The same pain and suffering occurs when news of him applying for parole... or getting married to some idiot happens as well.

If the punishment meant prison for life- and by life I mean life where he dies in prison- and with no measures to make his stay comfortable such as protective custody... I'd be okay with that.
    He would never be eligible for parole, and I seriously doubt he'd be able to do shit like get married either. He'd be kept in a cell 23.5 hours a day. Those kinds of prisoners don't get the kinds of perks you're talking about. Not sure what you mean by protective custody. He'd be locked up alone all the time as punishment, not as a favour. Sounds as though you'd like for him to be in general population so he can be murdered, but I'm sure you see the flaw in that idea.
    Those kinds of prisoners do get the perks I'm talking about. They've been referenced several times. For gawds sakes... Charles Manson was married behind bars.

Yah. I don't think we have any obligation to not only extend mercy by imprisoning some mutant mass murderer instead of executing him let alone protect him more than we would any other 'normal' prisoner because we are worried about his welfare in prison.
    Charles Manson hasn't had the same prison experience as Roof would; not even close. Manson never even actually murdered anyone in fact. He just convinced other people to.

As for supermax lockdown... keeping someone in a cell for the rest of his life isn't done for protection. It's done for punishment. But it also doesn't serve anyone else in the general population to allow someone into it who will be murdered. Throwing a man at them to be killed is harmful to other people there. Anyway, seems to me that Roof wants to be executed. I figure when someone wants to be executed, those who are into murdering murderers should refuse them.
    If you think this kid wants to die, you're incredibly naive. If he wanted to die that badly, he never would have been arrested. He would have had the balls to put the gun in his mouth when he was finished.
    I don't think I'm naive, but I believe he does want to die. maybe not offing himself was part of his MO, so he could be seen and heard after the dust had settled. maybe to inspire more to continute his work of inciting a race war. his entire trial defence strategy was self-defeating. there's no way, in my opinion, intended to spend his life in prison.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Different continent but that piece of shit in Norway that killed all those kids at the camp plays video games, has tv, etc...sheesh.

Yah... but the video games aren't that fantastic- that's why he went on a hunger strike (to protest). Further... he has to wait a whole 20 years before applying for parole.

And it was only 70 young people he killed. It's not like he killed a 100 or something like that.
    ? Norway doesn't have the death penalty, and, just like in Canada, it doesn't have a sentence of life without parole. He got the maximum sentence possible. If he'd killed 300 he would have received the same sentence. That doesn't mean he'll get parole obviously.
    Oh I know.

My point is: my they sure have been fair with him, eh? It's extreme. Short of making him say "sorry"... this is leniency at its finest.
    Well, they don't deal with him the way they do for his sake. They are like that for their own sakes. They are pretty big believers in the idea that the treatment of prisoners is a direct reflection of them as a people, and that treating prisoners relatively well (while keeping citizens safe) is actually more beneficial for their society (and souls, if you will) than treating prisoners with a strong sense of revenge would be. I personally agree with that idea. I know that you don't.
    No. I don't. I don't give two shits about some sane shithead that kills 70 of our children to make a political statement. It is worse for society to hear of his musings and hear of his antics behind bars than it is to erase him from society. Every time he complains that his video games aren't the ones he wants... it is a reminder of a horrific event and of the failure of the judicial system to do what it is supposed to do- deliver justice.

His country club is the farthest thing imaginable from justice- a term confused with 'revenge' on the part of those eager to display they're heightened levels of enlightenment. 70 kids decompose... and he gets state paid university degrees, hot meals, video games, and kayaking.

Are you f**king serious? (asked to nobody)
    maybe one last time will do the trick: IT'S. NOT. ABOUT. THE. PRISONERS. IT'S. ABOUT. SOCIETY.
    MAYBE. YOU. CAN. TRY. READING.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

In particular... this part of my post that speaks to what is better for society: It is worse for society to hear of his musings and hear of his antics behind bars than it is to erase him from society. Every time he complains that his video games aren't the ones he wants... it is a reminder of a horrific event and of the failure of the judicial system to do what it is supposed to do- deliver justice.

And don't forget this part that speaks to 'justice': His country club is the farthest thing imaginable from justice- a term confused with 'revenge' on the part of those eager to display they're heightened levels of enlightenment. 70 kids decompose... and he gets state paid university degrees, hot meals, video games, and kayaking.
    I did read it. I just don't agree with it.

a wise man once said "he who forgets the past is doomed to repeat it". if your objective of executing him is to forget the incident, the tragedy, the 70 kids that are gone, forgetting what he did and how the justice system failed accomplishes nothing. if anything it's counter-productive to the very thing you wish to see: justice.
    So... judging from this discussion... you feel that state funded university degrees, hot meals, kayaking, and video games in Norway's open prison system is an appropriate form of justice for a mass murderer that executed 70 children on a shooting spree?
    nope. we've covered this many times. if that is what he really gets to do, then that's a big fat NOPE.
    That's what he really gets to do.

So at a minimum, we are in agreement with the fact that Norway's response to his obscenity is a far cry from justice.

If we limit the choices to the extreme positions... in response to the mass murder of 70 children... do you think Norway's society is better served for:

1. Housing Anders, paying for university degrees, giving him video games and offering recreational pursuits such as kayaking?

or

2. Executing him?
    you know what my answer is. #1, every single time. as much as it angers me, #1.
    hugh dillon, didn't i see you type yesterday that you aren't a liberal? you must have been joking, right?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

No. I don't. I don't give two shits about some sane shithead that kills 70 of our children to make a political statement. It is worse for society to hear of his musings and hear of his antics behind bars than it is to erase him from society. Every time he complains that his video games aren't the ones he wants... it is a reminder of a horrific event and of the failure of the judicial system to do what it is supposed to do- deliver justice.

His country club is the farthest thing imaginable from justice- a term confused with 'revenge' on the part of those eager to display they're heightened levels of enlightenment. 70 kids decompose... and he gets state paid university degrees, hot meals, video games, and kayaking.

maybe one last time will do the trick: IT'S. NOT. ABOUT. THE. PRISONERS. IT'S. ABOUT. SOCIETY.
    MAYBE. YOU. CAN. TRY. READING.

IT. IS. ABOUT. SOCIETY.

In particular... this part of my post that speaks to what is better for society: It is worse for society to hear of his musings and hear of his antics behind bars than it is to erase him from society. Every time he complains that his video games aren't the ones he wants... it is a reminder of a horrific event and of the failure of the judicial system to do what it is supposed to do- deliver justice.

And don't forget this part that speaks to 'justice': His country club is the farthest thing imaginable from justice- a term confused with 'revenge' on the part of those eager to display they're heightened levels of enlightenment. 70 kids decompose... and he gets state paid university degrees, hot meals, video games, and kayaking.
    I did read it. I just don't agree with it.

a wise man once said "he who forgets the past is doomed to repeat it". if your objective of executing him is to forget the incident, the tragedy, the 70 kids that are gone, forgetting what he did and how the justice system failed accomplishes nothing. if anything it's counter-productive to the very thing you wish to see: justice.
    So... judging from this discussion... you feel that state funded university degrees, hot meals, kayaking, and video games in Norway's open prison system is an appropriate form of justice for a mass murderer that executed 70 children on a shooting spree?
    nope. we've covered this many times. if that is what he really gets to do, then that's a big fat NOPE.
    That's what he really gets to do.

So at a minimum, we are in agreement with the fact that Norway's response to his obscenity is a far cry from justice.

If we limit the choices to the extreme positions... in response to the mass murder of 70 children... do you think Norway's society is better served for:

1. Housing Anders, paying for university degrees, giving him video games and offering recreational pursuits such as kayaking?

or

2. Executing him?
    you know what my answer is. #1, every single time. as much as it angers me, #1.
    hugh dillon, didn't i see you type yesterday that you aren't a liberal? you must have been joking, right?
    I prefer not to box myself into any specific ideology. depends on the issue.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't think I'm naive, but I believe he does want to die. maybe not offing himself was part of his MO, so he could be seen and heard after the dust had settled. maybe to inspire more to continute his work of inciting a race war. his entire trial defence strategy was self-defeating. there's no way, in my opinion, intended to spend his life in prison.
    I guess it's possible that this guy could inspire others but I really don't see it that way. He's no Charles Manson by any means.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

Sigh. Again you keep talking about the criminal. You just don't get it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

No... I get it very well.

Of course I'm talking about the criminal. It's all about the criminal (and his victims).

You want me to buy fluff about society becoming dignified by extending mercy to a mass murderer? I prefer to look at the world more pragmatically.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

Of course I'm talking about the criminal. It's all about the criminal (and his victims).

You want me to buy fluff about society becoming dignified by extending mercy to a mass murderer? I prefer to look at the world more pragmatically.
    This. And, I would also add, the criminal's family. I have a family member who knows Roof's uncle and his family. Their lives are forever changed, too.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

This. And, I would also add, the criminal's family. I have a family member who knows Roof's uncle and his family. Their lives are forever changed, too.
    Whenever I speak of victims... I mean to include the surviving victims as well.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

Its not extending mercy to a mass murderer. Its about not becoming him.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

We're not becoming mass murderers by punishing him for his crimes and seeking justice for the victims. It's a stretch to suggest so.

By the same logic... we'd be kidnapping him by imprisoning him.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

We're not becoming mass murderers by punishing him for his crimes and seeking justice for the victims. It's a stretch to suggest so.

Lol. That was a good analogy dirty!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ^^^
    TB, just as I was losing faith in your posts you pull this out.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

I obviously wasnt suggesting that society would literally become mass murderers.

We've been over the kidnapping analogy as well. Its fundamentally flawed in that keeping him in prison is the least that needs to be done to keep society safe. Anything less is not an option. Again, as is my M.O, putting society first.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

I obviously wasnt suggesting that society would literally become mass murderers.

We've been over the kidnapping analogy as well. Its fundamentally flawed in that keeping him in prison is the least that needs to be done to keep society safe. Anything less is not an option. Again, as is my M.O, putting society first.

Sure... if keeping society safe was the agenda, but the agenda is actually administering justice.

We don't say, "Holy f**k... that dude just shot nine people in a church. Let's lock him up so he doesn't shoot nine more." We place that dude on trial, let him face the magnitude of his crime, and administer a punishment that most accurately serves as justice for the victims and reflects our level of disdain for the crime.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

Sure... if keeping society safe was the agenda, but the agenda is actually administering justice.

We don't say, "Holy f**k... that dude just shot nine people in a church. Let's lock him up so he doesn't shoot nine more." We place that dude on trial, let him face the magnitude of his crime, and administer a punishment that most accurately serves as justice for the victims and reflects our level of disdain for the crime.
    That's a very dark and archaic view of the process.
    If the kidnapping analogy flies then it should fly that this is only a half a step away from Hammurabi.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

If the kidnapping analogy flies then it should fly that this is only a half a step away from Hammurabi.
    the bolded, dramatic fluff made me vomit.
  • Options

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

I made a Trumpster vomit?

Most excellent!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

The kidnapping analogy is goofy- just like the 'we become murderers too' analogy. I only used it to extend the logic and display its weakness.

Whats dark are the crimes we are left to clean up. Unfortunately, some people drag us into the mud with their obscenity. It would be nice if we didn't have to deal with Mushroom Head because he never killed nine people in a church, but given he has... our hand has been forced.

There are consequences for your actions. Nothing archaic about that.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

Most excellent!
    (heard picturing you in your blue suit with your long fingers intertwined with each other)

Hahaha
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

Most excellent!
    what does The Donald have to do with radical fluff? he stinks. now could you pass me the Greeeey Poupooonn?
  • Options
    Great references fellas!

A classic MT dust up.
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

Most excellent!
    (heard picturing you in your blue suit with your long fingers intertwined with each other)

Hahaha
    Yep lol
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

the agenda is actually a healthy mix of both.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited January 2017

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

Oh I know.

I am pragmatic too. Pragmatism has nothing to do with your attitude. If anything, the anti-DP crew is more pragmatic than you are about it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^^^

No. Which of the following statements is more 'pragmatic' (dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations)?

1. Anti crew asserts "It's about society and how executing someone for murdering a whole whack of people makes us feel."

2. Pro crew asserts "It's about the criminal and the victims and the need to administer justice so that it fits the crime."
  • Options

^^^

No. Which of the following statements is more 'pragmatic' (dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations)?

1. Anti crew asserts "It's about society and how executing someone for murdering a whole whack of people makes us feel."

2. Pro crew asserts "It's about the criminal and the victims and the need to administer justice so that it fits the crime."

HAHA. that's funny. want to try making those two statements a little less biased?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com