Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

jeffbr said:

god bless america is close to the stupidest and most arrogant thing a human can muster.

Allah wills it ranks up there.
    at least they aren't shouting for allah to bless a man-made geographical area. that is just such a stupid concept to me.
    Don't get me wrong... I'm not in disagreement with you.
    Makes me cringe as well.
    "And may God continue to bless the United States of America." Obama, 1/10/17
    yeah, I get the heebie jeebies no matter whose mouth it comes from.

sometimes I wonder how many politicians (democrats) hate saying that, but have to, as they'd be villified if they didn't.
    well you seem to hate America and Americans, so this isnt a surprise. God Bless Canada to , eh....
    what an idiotic statement. as I have stated repeatedly, it is impossible for any reasonably intelligent person to hate a country. I like visiting America, and some of my family are Americans.
    sure....
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

jeffbr said:

god bless america is close to the stupidest and most arrogant thing a human can muster.

at least they aren't shouting for allah to bless a man-made geographical area. that is just such a stupid concept to me.
    Makes me cringe as well.

sometimes I wonder how many politicians (democrats) hate saying that, but have to, as they'd be villified if they didn't.
    well you seem to hate America and Americans, so this isnt a surprise. God Bless Canada to , eh....
    I don't hate America. It's the nation into which I was born and still live, but I dislike politicians referencing mythical characters and hoping those mythical characters will somehow bless this country. Why not call on Zeuss or Hades or someone? And why America? Why not bless the world so that we can move past petty nationalism?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

what an idiotic statement. as I have stated repeatedly, it is impossible for any reasonably intelligent person to hate a country. I like visiting America, and some of my family are Americans.
    sure....
    it's the same moronic statements that fans say to Ed (or anyone) that he hates america because he criticizes the government, and he should love it or leave it. it's just so stupid. if america fails, we all fail. I want what's best for america as that directly impacts what's best for the rest of the world.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

I don't hate America. It's the nation into which I was born and still live, but I dislike politicians referencing mythical characters and hoping those mythical characters will somehow bless this country. Why not call on Zeuss or Hades or someone? And why America? Why not bless the world so that we can move past petty nationalism?
    Thor Bless the World
  • Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

Thor Bless the World
    :rofl:

I am so going to use that!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

Thor Bless the World
    Now you're talking!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

sure....
    it's the same moronic statements that fans say to Ed (or anyone) that he hates america because he criticizes the government, and he should love it or leave it. it's just so stupid. if america fails, we all fail. I want what's best for america as that directly impacts what's best for the rest of the world.
    your interweb banter has nothing to do with eddie vedder. but you can keep believing that. ed... i love it.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

Maybe it would be helpful if you understood the meaning behind the phrase and the song before calling it stupid or arrogant. Should we dissect all countries phrases, songs, ideals, etc?

http://performingsongwriter.com/god-bless-america/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

Maybe it would be helpful if you understood the meaning behind the phrase and the song before calling it stupid or arrogant. Should we dissect all countries phrases, songs, ideals, etc?

yeah, because that's the context people use it in today. spouting god bless america after a person is sentenced to death does not invoke what was intended when it was written.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

sure....
    your interweb banter has nothing to do with eddie vedder. but you can keep believing that. ed... i love it.
    huh? I was just using it as an example. the whole bushleaguer thing.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

and go for it. I was responding to someone using that phrase. if I make a similar statement, calling for a god to bless my country while praising someone's upcoming execution, feel free to call me out on it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

yeah, because that's the context people use it in today. spouting god bless america after a person is sentenced to death does not invoke what was intended when it was written.
    I agree. That doesn't mean it's stupid or arrogant. Saying God Bless America to a death sentence and singing it at his execution; completely stupid. It's about the context and the person using the phrase. Our soon to be president has made it clear how much difference there is in the meaning of "some words when spoken" by different people under different context.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

I agree. That doesn't mean it's stupid or arrogant. Saying God Bless America to a death sentence and singing it at his execution; completely stupid. It's about the context and the person using the phrase. Our soon to be president has made it clear how much difference there is in the meaning of "some words when spoken" by different people under different context.
    I would say the same if someone in Canada said something similar. I am not a patriot. I am happy to live in Canada and know how fortunate I am to do so. But I think nationalism and patriotism are odd. we're all human.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

thank you berg...
  • Options

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

I would say the same if someone in Canada said something similar. I am not a patriot. I am happy to live in Canada and know how fortunate I am to do so. But I think nationalism and patriotism are odd. we're all human.
    show some pride.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

thank you berg...
    see above.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

i bet if you were American you'd be a patriot.
  • Options

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

nope. but you go on believing your imaginary lines are better than someone else's.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

nope. but you go on believing your imaginary lines are better than someone else's.
    stay fluffy my friends....
  • Options

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

patriotism was created, like a religion, to brainwash people into fighting for their country. simple as that. it only exists in countries with a vast military interest.

now, back to Roof.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

patriotism was created, like a religion, to brainwash people into fighting for their country. simple as that. it only exists in countries with a vast military interest.

now, back to Roof.
    He needs to die asap
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

now, back to Roof.
    He needs to die asap
    and the rush is what exactly?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

now, back to Roof.
    you are just a wealth of knowledge, hugh dillon. where would TDF be without you, eh?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Is it the continental US being blessed or do Alaska and Hawaii get in on that?
    What about Puerto Rico?
    Guam?

Is it all the Americas, or just the US?

Invoking a mythical being to offer special treatment to an arbitrarily designated plot of land which is already the most "blessed" in the world...you can't fix stupid.

A real Christian would ask God to bless Africa or the Middle East, where people suffer and die in futility, they wouldn't being asking God to bless the land of SUV's and obesity.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Wma31394 said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

now, back to Roof.
    He needs to die asap
    why not? please grace us with your intellectualism.
  • Options

Wma31394 said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

now, back to Roof.
    He needs to die asap
    Hearings..tax payers money..etc...oh and the FACT that he is a total piece of shit murderer of 9 innocent people..good enough reasons to expedite?
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

now, back to Roof.
    He needs to die asap
    Hearings..tax payers money..etc...oh and the FACT that he is a total piece of shit murderer of 9 innocent people..good enough reasons to expedite?
    obviously there's no doubt about guilt. obviously the guy wants to die. just "asap" doesn't sit well.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

now, back to Roof.
    He needs to die asap
    obviously there's no doubt about guilt. obviously the guy wants to die. just "asap" doesn't sit well.
    big surprise.
  • Options

Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

now, back to Roof.
    He needs to die asap
    Sits well with me..
  • Options

Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

jeffbr said:

Makes me cringe as well.

now, back to Roof.
    He needs to die asap
    big surprise.
    well no shit sherlock. with me being against the death penalty and all.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com