9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• We (SC) didn't even give Susan Smith the death penalty for killing her own kids.

That was before I moved down here. But remember hearing about it and thinking it was odd that she didn't get the DP. Not only did she get to live, but got pregnant from a guard in prison.

One thing this state does not lack is horrendous crimes. Susan Smith may be the only rival to dylan roof when it comes to heinous acts committed in this state since slavery.
    Donald Henry "Pee Wee" Gaskins, Jr

He has to be the most notorious when it comes to heinous acts in South Carolina. He committed his in the 60s/70s and was executed in the early 90s, so it's understandable how he could be overlooked. The things he did were truly disturbing.
    Have you seen the SCETV documentary on Pee Wee? Fascinating stuff. Dude was batshit crazy and even killed his niece. My grandmother actually knew him. There's also Larry Gene Bell who was executed in the 90's.
    I'm through with screaming
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119

We (SC) didn't even give Susan Smith the death penalty for killing her own kids.

That was before I moved down here. But remember hearing about it and thinking it was odd that she didn't get the DP. Not only did she get to live, but got pregnant from a guard in prison.

One thing this state does not lack is horrendous crimes. Susan Smith may be the only rival to dylan roof when it comes to heinous acts committed in this state since slavery.

He has to be the most notorious when it comes to heinous acts in South Carolina. He committed his in the 60s/70s and was executed in the early 90s, so it's understandable how he could be overlooked. The things he did were truly disturbing.
    Have you seen the SCETV documentary on Pee Wee? Fascinating stuff. Dude was batshit crazy and even killed his niece. My grandmother actually knew him. There's also Larry Gene Bell who was executed in the 90's.
    I've seen a documentary on him, but I'm not sure if it's one on SCETV.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

We (SC) didn't even give Susan Smith the death penalty for killing her own kids.

I've heard stories of that guy. I hear he killed a few people from the area I live.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place

I've heard stories of that guy. I hear he killed a few people from the area I live.
    He probably did, if all of his claims were true.
    Back to the trial:

Live tweets state that Roof laments that his mental competency hearings will become public knowledge and said "there's nothing wrong with me psychologically."

Prosecutor is calling victims' family to stand, starting with Sen. Pinckney's wife.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,741
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/charleston-church-shooter-i-would-like-to-make-it-crystal-clear-i-do-not-regret-what-i-did/2017/01/04/05b0061e-d1da-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.f5ee8b6382d9

CHARLESTON — Six weeks after he shot and killed nine people at a Charleston church, Dylann Roof lamented in a jailhouse journal that he could no longer go to the movies or eat good food. But he still felt the massacre was “worth it” because of what he perceived as the wrongs perpetrated by the black community.

“I would like to make it crystal clear, I do not regret what I did,” Roof wrote. “I am not sorry.”
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/charleston-church-shooter-i-would-like-to-make-it-crystal-clear-i-do-not-regret-what-i-did/2017/01/04/05b0061e-d1da-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.f5ee8b6382d9

CHARLESTON — Six weeks after he shot and killed nine people at a Charleston church, Dylann Roof lamented in a jailhouse journal that he could no longer go to the movies or eat good food. But he still felt the massacre was “worth it” because of what he perceived as the wrongs perpetrated by the black community.

“I would like to make it crystal clear, I do not regret what I did,” Roof wrote. “I am not sorry.”

And neither are we to see you go, Mushroom Head, you sad sad little man.

Nice try at life, rodent.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522

mickeyrat said:

he is obviously intentionally going for the DP. he knows, as a racist who murdered 9 black people, he is in for a world of pain and agony in prison where there is a disproportionate amount of black people. he wants death, but before that, solitary. that's the only way his bung hole survives.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited January 2017

mickeyrat said:

he is obviously intentionally going for the DP. he knows, as a racist who murdered 9 black people, he is in for a world of pain and agony in prison where there is a disproportionate amount of black people. he wants death, but before that, solitary. that's the only way his bung hole survives.
    Not if the white supremacists gangs protected him, which they probably would. Come on, you've seen American History X. ;)
    No, but seriously, he would be in isolation 23 hours of the day with an hour along in a concrete courtyard. I don't think there would be opportunity for others to attack him, would there?? Pretty sure they have armed guards all over the place in those supermax prisons. Total lockdown, basically.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

Not if the white supremacists gangs protected him, which they probably would. Come on, you've seen American History X. ;)
    No, but seriously, he would be in isolation 23 hours of the day with an hour along in a concrete courtyard. I don't think there would be opportunity for others to attack him, would there?? Pretty sure they have armed guards all over the place in those supermax prisons. Total lockdown, basically.
    not sure. are you assuming he'd get solitary?

www.headstonesband.com

PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

not sure. are you assuming he'd get solitary?
    Well yeah, I think this guy would get sent to a supermax prison where he is kept alone in a cell basically all the time. Don't you think that, considering his crime??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I couldn't see authorities not taking all precautions to ensure Mushroom Head's safety in prison.

Prison officials likely don't want the aftermath of a high profile loser such as this dying in their custody.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561

I couldn't see authorities not taking all precautions to ensure Mushroom Head's safety in prison.

Prison officials likely don't want the aftermath of a high profile loser such as this dying in their custody.

Not that anyone would probably care. Dahmer didn't create much of a stir.

Either way, he needs to rot in solitary. Gen pop allows protection from gangs and other comforts they smuggle in.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663

I couldn't see authorities not taking all precautions to ensure Mushroom Head's safety in prison.

As I mentioned earlier, if he ends up in federal lockup, it will mostly likely be Supermax here in Colorado. 23.5 hours per day in solitary cell and 30 minutes in a yard by himself.

As I mentioned earlier, if he ends up in federal lockup, it will mostly likely be Supermax here in Colorado. 23.5 hours per day in solitary cell and 30 minutes in a yard by himself.
    Exactly. Someone who commits a crime like that would never be in general population.
  • tbergs said:

Either way, he needs to rot in solitary. Gen pop allows protection from gangs and other comforts they smuggle in.
    Most cheered when Dahmer met his end.

Think of his situation: he's placed in a cell with a cell mate. The guy who killed him (his cell mate) likely thought he had no choice. Are you sleeping soundly at night with that freak in the same locked cell?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561

tbergs said:

Think of his situation: he's placed in a cell with a cell mate. The guy who killed him (his cell mate) likely thought he had no choice. Are you sleeping soundly at night with that freak in the same locked cell?
    Nope. Not a chance anyone wanted to be in a dark confined area with that guy. Ain't no rest for the wicked....
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946

tbergs said:

How do you figure most cheered? I also always think it's a sad display of the darker side of people when they stand outside a prison when someone is executed. I know it's not how Dahmer went, but it just made me think of that.
  • tbergs said:

How do you figure most cheered? I also always think it's a sad display of the darker side of people when they stand outside a prison when someone is executed. I know it's not how Dahmer went, but it just made me think of that.
    I didn't mean literally.

I meant to say that nobody lost any sleep when they discovered a guy who drugged, raped, tortured and mutilated young men for kicks was killed in prison. He should have been executed the moment he was convicted for his crimes and sentenced. At a bare minimum... it would have saved his cell mate from having to take matter into his own hands.

mickeyrat said:

Probably so. He's already been beaten up at least once while incarcerated already. He should have just gone ahead and killed himself though.
  • If I can recall correctly and completely aside from the topic of the thread (but in line with the current flow of conversation):

Two cops were called to a scene where a naked, incoherent (he was drugged) and bleeding youth was wandering the street that Dahmer lived on. Two pedestrians called for police support.

Dahmer... realizing his victim had escaped... ran out of his house, came upon the scene, and convinced the officers the youth was his gay lover and he had too much to drink. The cops went into the home and, despite a rank odor, left the victim with Dahmer- ultimately buying the story. You can guess the rest.

F**king idiots. There's been some big blunders in the vast span of history... but that's as big as they get.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

In many cases, it isn't a yard. It's another small room, but with indoor windows.
    Sunlight and open sky aren't seen at all.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

tbergs said:

I agree. It's gruesome.
  • PJ_Soul said:

tbergs said:

I agree. It's gruesome.
    Some people are just happy that justice is served and show up to demonstrate their support for such justice as well as pay respect to the deceased. It's closure. Pure and simple.

It's tough for some to see it that way- especially if they concern themselves too much for a cannibal kid killer. They should try looking at it from a slightly more pragmatic approach vs a philosophical ideal.
    edited January 2017
    What is the matter with you Thirty? AGAIN you act like we care about killers, despite how many times we've so clearly explained that that is not the case.
  • PJ_Soul said:

What is the matter with you Thirty? AGAIN you act like we care about killers, despite how many times we've so clearly explained that that is not the case.

I said for some. Whether that meant you or not is up for you to decide.

I thought when we went over this last time... I explained to you exactly some of the comments that were made in this forum where people ACTUALLY DO CARE about killers (remember the "it would be far worse to await execution than be the victim of a murder" statement made, supported, and argued?).

And even with that said... if you do lament a child killer's execution for his crimes... you do care at least a little. To this... you've actually never clearly explained. Not at all.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

PJ_Soul said:

tbergs said:

I agree. It's gruesome.
    Some people are just happy that justice is served and show up to demonstrate their support for such justice as well as pay respect to the deceased. It's closure. Pure and simple.

It's tough for some to see it that way- especially if they concern themselves too much for a cannibal kid killer. They should try looking at it from a slightly more pragmatic approach vs a philosophical ideal.
    Hahaha only Thirty would try to spin tailgating an execution into a pragmatic paying of respect to the deceased!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

PJ_Soul said:

I said for some. Whether that meant you or not is up for you to decide.

I thought when we went over this last time... I explained to you exactly some of the comments that were made in this forum where people ACTUALLY DO CARE about killers (remember the "it would be far worse to await execution than be the victim of a murder" statement made, supported, and argued?).

And even with that said... if you do lament a child killer's execution for his crimes... you do care at least a little. To this... you've actually never clearly explained. Not at all.
    no, you still aren't getting it. we don't care about the individual. it's bigger than that. we care about society as a whole, and the path it takes when going down the road you suggest.

www.headstonesband.com

PJ_Soul said:

tbergs said:

I agree. It's gruesome.

some people just have a sick idea of what support for the justice system constitutes.

whether that meant you or not is up for you to decide.

www.headstonesband.com

• rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

tbergs said:

I agree. It's gruesome.

Hahaha only Thirty would try to spin tailgating an execution into a pragmatic paying of respect to the deceased!
    Hahaha like you spin looting and rioting part of an honourable display against a nation wide inherently corrupt and racist police force?

What I said isn't far fetched at all. Some of those intimately affected by horrific crimes need that type of closure, RG. You do know the majority of people want the DP right?