The Donald for President

Comments

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Oh the thread that keeps on giving.

Great cartoon Gern.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,674
  • KatKat Posts: 4,840
    All ages forum.
    Sexism is not ok.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Yeah it's crazy. They have created an entire class of no information voter that is so far out of bounds they will no longer vote for the establishment GOP candidates. Serves them right.

• http://www.vox.com/2016/2/24/11103704/the-republican-party-is-broken
    Parties are vehicles for structuring information. Their role is literally to help voters decide by helping them choose whom to trust. The fact that Republican voters seem to prefer candidates whom their party is screaming not to trust reveals a profound failure in the GOP's core role. The Republican Party is broken.

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Know many republicans and they are all mum on current political climate.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • KatKat Posts: 4,840
    It's really a mess and could even get worse.

Mitt Romney predicts Donald Trump 'bombshell' in his taxes
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/24/politics/mitt-romney-donald-trump-taxes/
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    They tend to not post here
  • Kat said:

i doubt that this would hurt him. his supporters would view tax evasion as "sticking it to the man" and would make them support him even more. you know, because they feel that the democrats would overtax people in his tax bracket and all.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Kat said:

Interesting...I remember Trump being asked about his returns a week or so ago and he made some comments about them that made me think there is some BS on there. I'm guessing he has massive losses from some of his ventures that might make for an embarrassing tax return.

Not that it matters....his base doesn't watch the news

• callen said:

Yeah it's funny because the most rabid republicans that I know can't stand Trump. Go figure.

I had my brother in law pegged as a Trump guy but he's not...blew my mind.

Kat said:

Trump has already said that his tax returns are "beautiful"
  • Kat said:

Trump has already said that his tax returns are "beautiful"
    what HE says, and what his returns say, and what tax laws say can be entirely different things.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891

callen said:

Yeah it's funny because the most rabid republicans that I know can't stand Trump. Go figure.

I had my brother in law pegged as a Trump guy but he's not...blew my mind.
    :lol: Congrats re your bro-in-law. ;)
    Maybe republicans don't like him because of this kind of thing: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/28/does-trump-like-hillary-more-than-vets.html
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Mitt Romney is still waiting for FOX News to call the 2012 election for him.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Does anyone really think that he evaded taxes, against the tax law? Come on. If he took advantage of loopholes, shelters etc that were legal, more power to him.

tuh
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891

Does anyone really think that he evaded taxes, against the tax law? Come on. If he took advantage of loopholes, shelters etc that were legal, more power to him.

tuh

No, I don't think that. I'm sure all of his finances are in order. Again, he's not stupid. I don't think he would leave anything shady open to scrutiny, and don't think he would be running if there was anything like that for someone to find. He's got accountants and shit, and has likely done everything above board as far as his business dealings and personal taxes go. He has proven himself as a perfectly legitimate business man (which, FTR, means absolutely nothing as far as his ability to be the POTUS goes IMO).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Interesting piece by Tiabbi in Rolling Stone today called How America Made Donald Trump Unstoppable. There are a number of good sections in the article, especially the way the Republicans are killing themselves by not consolidating the field:

One GOP strategist put it this way: "Maybe 34 [percent] is Trump's ceiling. But 34 in a five-person race wins."

The numbers simply don't work, unless the field unexpectedly narrows before March. Trump has a chokehold on somewhere between 25 and 40 percent of the Republican vote, scoring in one poll across every category: young and old, educated and less so, hardcore conservatives and registered Democrats, with men and with women, Megyn Kelly's "wherever" notwithstanding. Trump the Builder of Anti-Rapist Walls even earns an estimated 25 percent of the GOP Latino vote.

Moreover, there's evidence that human polling undercounts Trump's votes, as people support him in larger numbers when they don't have to admit their leanings to a live human being. Like autoerotic asphyxiation, supporting Donald Trump is an activity many people prefer to enjoy in a private setting, like in a shower or a voting booth.

The path to unseating Trump is consolidation of opposition, forcing him into a two- or three-person race. Things seemed headed that way after Iowa, when Ted Cruz won and Marco Rubio came in third.
    [...]

But Trump's thin-skinned dealings with reporters didn't fully explain the media's efforts to prop up his opponents. We've long been engaged in our own version of the high school put-down game, battering nerds and outsiders like Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich while elevating "electable," party-approved candidates like John McCain and John Kerry.

Thus it was no surprise that after Iowa, columnists tried to sell the country on the loathsome "Marcomentum" narrative, a paean to the good old days when reporters got to tell the public who was hot and who wasn't – the days of the "Straight Talk Express," "Joementum," etc.

"Marco Rubio Was the Real Winner in Iowa," blared CNN. "Marco Rubio's Iowa Mojo," chimed in Politico. "Forget Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio Is the Real Winner of the Iowa Caucuses," agreed Vanity Fair.

Rubio, we were told, had zoomed to the front of the "establishment lane" in timely enough fashion to stop Trump. Of course, in the real world, nobody cares about what happens in the "establishment lane" except other journalists. But even the other candidates seemed to believe the narrative. Ohio Gov. John Kasich staggered out of Iowa in eighth place and was finishing up his 90th lonely appearance in New Hampshire when Boston-based reporters caught up to him.

"If we get smoked up there, I'm going back to Ohio," he lamented. Kasich in person puts on a brave face, but he also frequently rolls his eyes in an expression of ostentatious misanthropy that says, "I can't believe I'm losing to these idiots."

But then Rubio went onstage at St. Anselm College in the eighth GOP debate and blew himself up. Within just a few minutes of a vicious exchange with haran​guing now-former candidate Chris Christie, he twice delivered the exact same canned 25-second spiel about how Barack Obama "knows exactly what he's doing."

Rubio's face-plant brilliantly reprised Sir Ian Holm's performance in Alien, as a malfunctioning, disembodied robot head stammering, "I admire its purity," while covered in milky android goo. It was everything we hate about scripted mannequin candidates captured in a brief crack in the political façade.

Rubio plummeted in the polls, and Kasich, already mentally checked out, was the surprise second-place finisher in New Hampshire, with 15.8 percent of the vote.

"Something big happened tonight," Kasich said vaguely, not seeming sure what that thing was exactly. Even worse from a Republican point of view, Dinkley McBush somehow finished fourth, above Rubio and in a virtual tie with Iowa winner Ted Cruz.

Now none of the three "establishment lane" candidates could drop out. And the next major contest, South Carolina, was deemed by horse-race experts to have too tiny an "establishment lane" vote to decide which two out of that group should off themselves in time for the third to mount a viable "Stop Trump" campaign.

All of which virtually guarantees Trump will probably enjoy at least a five-horse race through Super Tuesday. So he might have this thing sewn up before the others even figure out in what order they should quit. It's hard to recall a dumber situation in American presidential politics.

"If you're Trump, you're sending flowers to all of them for staying in," the GOP strategist tells me. "The more the merrier. And they're running out of time to figure it out."
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Does anyone really think that he evaded taxes, against the tax law? Come on. If he took advantage of loopholes, shelters etc that were legal, more power to him.

tuh

No I think he has some really bizarre losses/credits, maybe foreign transactions that will embarrass the shit out of him.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,674
    edited February 2016

tuh

No I think he has some really bizarre losses/credits, maybe foreign transactions that will embarrass the shit out of him.
    I'm sure he writes off all the plastic surgery for himself and his family members

And probably all the makeup and hair care products as well
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    At the risk of sounding paranoid...has anyone else worried that someone may take a shot at him? On one hand he has made plenty of enemies with his rhetoric. On the other he is the candidate the party of the military and the intelligence community don't want but are stuck with. Not gonna lie the thought has crossed my mind many times.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Pearl Jam Skateboard guy...

“People feel isolated, helpless, victim of powerful forces that they do not understand and cannot influence," MIT professor Noam Chomsky said when asked to comment on Donald Trump's campaign success thus far. | Getty

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/02/noam-chomsky-donald-trump-fear-219723#ixzz418Wp5qfB
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,694
    "Steal a little and they throw you in jail/
    Steal a lot and they make you king [president?]"
    -Bob Dylan
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I listened to Trump's Nevada victory speech on C-Span this morning and cracked up all the way to work. My favorite part: When talking about who voted for him, according to the polls, "We won the highly-educated . . .we won the poorly educated . . . I love the poorly educated. They're great, the poorly educated."

I'm starting to come to terms with the possibility that this ass-hat could be our next president.
  • JimmyV said:

At the risk of sounding paranoid...has anyone else worried that someone may take a shot at him? On one hand he has made plenty of enemies with his rhetoric. On the other he is the candidate the party of the military and the intelligence community don't want but are stuck with. Not gonna lie the thought has crossed my mind many times.

no i am not worried about it. he is under secret service protection. those guys will make sure he is protected.

i am more concerned about obama's safety than trump's. the right wing crazies and obama haters are coming out of the woodwork and are only emboldened by trump's rhetoric.

Tuh
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Is anyone suprised that someone as childish and embarrassing as Trump is leading the GOP?
    Half their constituents LITERALLY believe that 2 penguins walked from Antarctica, plus a few million other animals, to get on an impossibly large boat built by a 500 year old man.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
This discussion has been closed.