Options

Waco-How Long Before....................

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

to put this in perspective....had it been 9 black guys killed in this.....we wouldn't be patiently waiting to see whose bullets they were.........

Great point!
    Hugh...

Can you please clarify exactly what you are implying here?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm implying that if it were black "bikers" shot, and police were on hand during that, the general public would not have waited for the results of who shot whom. Riots would have ensued immediately with everyone assuming the cops were somehow involved. Guaranteed.

It is a comment on the current state of race relations in the US, not on anything but that.

I think that is way off base, considering this was an active gang war. Do you really think a 200 man gang rumble would spawn riots? Guaranteed? Maybe that says something about race relations, when you assume the worst possible reaction from a race, guaranteed.

I agreed because I thought you were implying that everyone (media and social media) would assume the blacks shot each other instead of waiting to see whose bullets they were.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    rgambs said:

what's sad is that every fucking thing that happens turns into a race issue...(if he was white he would still be alive or if he was black the cops would have killed him) I'm really burnt out on the race bating bullshit.

Godfather.

So what? You are burnt out. Who cares? Your feelings don't change the reality of the situation.
    ummmmmmmmm good point, but my feeling is that the race card is over played.

Godfather.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

to put this in perspective....had it been 9 black guys killed in this.....we wouldn't be patiently waiting to see whose bullets they were.........

Great point!
    Hugh...

Can you please clarify exactly what you are implying here?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm implying that if it were black "bikers" shot, and police were on hand during that, the general public would not have waited for the results of who shot whom. Riots would have ensued immediately with everyone assuming the cops were somehow involved. Guaranteed.

It is a comment on the current state of race relations in the US, not on anything but that.

I think that is way off base, considering this was an active gang war. Do you really think a 200 man gang rumble would spawn riots? Guaranteed? Maybe that says something about race relations, when you assume the worst possible reaction from a race, guaranteed.

I agreed because I thought you were implying that everyone (media and social media) would assume the blacks shot each other instead of waiting to see whose bullets they were.
    yes, if it had been 200 gang bangers fighting, and the cops showed up and many of said gang bangers ended up dead, I think the public would have been very quick to blame the cops for shooting without probable cause before even knowing if the cops shot anyone at all, given how everything has gone down lately, what with cops actually shooting black people with no cause.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    edited May 2015
    Post edited by OMGkatwoman on
  • Options
  • Options

rgambs said:

what's sad is that every fucking thing that happens turns into a race issue...(if he was white he would still be alive or if he was black the cops would have killed him) I'm really burnt out on the race bating bullshit.

Godfather.

So what? You are burnt out. Who cares? Your feelings don't change the reality of the situation.

Godfather.

I think it's a very real and serious issue, however I feel it is 'misplayed' more than it is over played.

For example, I find myself drawn to watch 48hrs every now and then. Without fail, the murders that are investigated feature black victims and black offenders- without exaggerating... it's likely 9 of 10 incidents.

To me, the content of what the media delivers should be challenged much more than the decision of, say, a white officer to shoot a black male that has attempted to flee from a pullover, fought with the officer, stolen the officer's gun, and tasered the officer as well.

I'm not sure how a show such as the one I presented (or any other for that matter) can get away which such blatant racial profiling given the fact we know white on white crime happens with the same frequency?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I think it's a very real and serious issue, however I feel it is 'misplayed' more than it is over played.

For example, I find myself drawn to watch 48hrs every now and then. Without fail, the murders that are investigated feature black victims and black offenders- without exaggerating... it's likely 9 of 10 incidents.

To me, the content of what the media delivers should be challenged much more than the decision of, say, a white officer to shoot a black male that has attempted to flee from a pullover, fought with the officer, stolen the officer's gun, and tasered the officer as well.

I'm not sure how a show such as the one I presented (or any other for that matter) can get away which such blatant racial profiling given the fact we know white on white crime happens with the same frequency?
    I was just thinking this.......can you imagine if an episode of Cops was shown in a prominent white neighbourhood? a guy in a tattered armani suit getting arrested on his Lexus, with his plastic wife holding her broken champagne flute screaming in the background?

the only reason it doesn't happen is because Fox doesn't have enough money to pay people like that to sign the release.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I have a buddy that got arrested and the whole thing was ON COPS, I laughed my butt off especially when the whole thing could of been avoided if he had just kept quiet( if you have ever seen the epasode when the biker in springvally ca. along with a few friends gets pulled over and he takes the photo op as good time tell the cops what he thinks of them(bad idea...he ended up with 1 or 2 years) hahhahhahhahhahahha.

Godfather
  • Options

I have a buddy that got arrested and the whole thing was ON COPS, I laughed my butt off especially when the whole thing could of been avoided if he had just kept quiet( if you have ever seen the epasode when the biker in springvally ca. along with a few friends gets pulled over and he takes the photo op as good time tell the cops what he thinks of them(bad idea...he ended up with 1 or 2 years) hahhahhahhahhahahha.

Godfather

He should be the poster child of when to keep his mouth shut! LOL!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited May 2015
    Be very interesting to see who was shot by whom. They know already.

And most will walk with no charges.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

I would be surprised if that information would be released before the ROT (Republic of Texas)Rally coming up. Not that they are expecting trouble, but with at least 50,000 riding in they're probably a little nervous.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited May 2015

callen said:

I would be surprised if that information would be released before the ROT (Republic of Texas)Rally coming up. Not that they are expecting trouble, but with at least 50,000 riding in they're probably a little nervous.
    Good point. Didn't realize big rally coming up. In Waco area?
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    callen said:

callen said:

Good point. Didn't realize big rally coming up. In Waco area?
    About an hour and half away in Austin, but most likely long lines of bikes riding through Waco is bound to make people nervous after what happened on Sunday.
  • Options
    I'd be willing to bet local people will be less worried then you think when a run comes thru thier town, the meaning of the word biker has changed a lot sense the 90's with all the weekend warriors coming out to ride and get close the clubs they see and hear about, we're talking about motorcycle clubs not gang bangers.

Godfather.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I'd be willing to bet local people will be less worried then you think when a run comes thru thier town, the meaning of the word biker has changed a lot sense the 90's with all the weekend warriors coming out to ride and get close the clubs they see and hear about, we're talking about motorcycle clubs not gang bangers.

Godfather.

I stand by my statement Godfather, I don't know if you watched the news but, yesterday early evening on CNN the sheriff from Waco phoned in asking for a stand down after they put out an alert to law enforcement across the country about some alleged threats, more serious this time. They are claiming that some of the soldiers that ride within a few of the clubs are supplying hand grenades and C4 for attacks on law enforcement and their families. Pretty serious stuff . When you have the local sheriff phoning in to media outlets, and the( often times) misinformation that the media spews out, it's bound to make some people nervous. I still ride on the back of someone's bike and my own 883 so I know the meaning of biker has changed, been around both bikers and clubs to know the difference, my ex was in a club and had all the major ones at our parties wearing their colors , some with rockers, so believe I know.
  • Options

Godfather.

I stand by my statement Godfather, I don't know if you watched the news but, yesterday early evening on CNN the sheriff from Waco phoned in asking for a stand down after they put out an alert to law enforcement across the country about some alleged threats, more serious this time. They are claiming that some of the soldiers that ride within a few of the clubs are supplying hand grenades and C4 for attacks on law enforcement and their families. Pretty serious stuff . When you have the local sheriff phoning in to media outlets, and the( often times) misinformation that the media spews out, it's bound to make some people nervous. I still ride on the back of someone's bike and my own 883 so I know the meaning of biker has changed, been around both bikers and clubs to know the difference, my ex was in a club and had all the major ones at our parties wearing their colors , some with rockers, so believe I know.
    wow what a shame, if any club goes to war with the police there will only be one winner and a war like that could totally wipe a club in that area and inflict heavy damage on all its other chapters, the best way to handle this would be in court...man a war of that kind could be real trouble for bikers everywhere, I have been pulled over just so the officer could check out my bike because come to find out they (2 officers were looking to buy H.D's) just wanted to ask what kind of bike was a good starter,best value etc. and I've been thrown to ground but that was quite a while back. I hope this doessn't turn into a combat situation. but then again the media loves this kind of shit and loves to stoke the fire.

Godfather.

• Options
    DALLAS – In the hours after a deadly shootout involving two motorcycle gangs, about 170 people were arrested at a Texas restaurant. Depending on who is asked, the suspects are gang members or innocents who merely belong to motorcycle clubs or both.

But surveillance video viewed by The Associated Press shows dozens of bikers at the Twin Peaks restaurant who were not involved in the altercation that led to Sunday's shooting in Waco. The video calls into question why so many were arrested and then jailed on unusually high bail.

Here's an explanation of the charges, bail and other factors at play in the case:

___

WHY ARE SO MANY CHARGED WITH ENGAGING IN ORGANIZED CRIMINAL ACTIVITY?

Texas law says a person participates in organized crime when that person commits any number of offenses as a member of a "criminal street gang."

David LaBahn, president and CEO of the Association of Prosecuting Attorneys in Washington, D.C., said Texas is one of a handful of states with this charge on its books. The charge is meant to disrupt gang activity and is often applied when multiple crimes occur simultaneously.

Suspects don't necessarily have to commit a criminal act to be charged with engaging in organized crime. They can be culpable if they essentially allowed the crime to happen, LaBahn said.

He also said arresting 170 people is not unusual. As a prosecutor in California, he saw protests at abortion clinics where large numbers of demonstrators were arrested for failing to disperse.

Many of those jailed in Texas will probably see their charges reduced, if not dismissed, as prosecutors sort out which bikers participated in the violence, which were bystanders and which cooperated with authorities, LaBahn said.

___

IS THE BAIL REASONABLE?

McLennan County Justice of the Peace W.H. Peterson told the Temple Daily Telegram that he wanted to send a message when he imposed the $1 million bail for each person arrested Sunday.

"The atrocity of the incident, the impact on the community and a bunch of other things figured in, but the main thing was the high death count," Peterson said. "Nine people were killed. It was all brought on by a brawl."

Concern that more violence could follow if the bikers were able to leave jail quickly was probably another reason for the high bail, according to Amanda Peters, an associate professor at South Texas College of Law who previously worked as a prosecutor in Harris County.

Bail is not meant "to be a tool of oppression of the government," she said. Instead it's intended to ensure that a defendant returns to court.

"I have seen bail amounts set this high in high-profile cases," Peters said. "And it's usually set this high to allow authorities to determine what's going on."

But other considerations in establishing bail are a person's criminal background and likelihood of fleeing. She said bail will probably drop significantly as defense attorneys challenge the amount.

Judges have guidelines that are used to determine bail, Peters and others say, but they can also use their personal discretion.

___

HOW MUCH MONEY DO THE BIKERS HAVE TO POST TO BE RELEASED?

Unless a judge reduces their $1 million bail, the bikers will have to post at least 10 percent of that amount, or $100,000, to be freed. They will have to work with a bondsman who will put up the other 90 percent. A bondsman will often require collateral, such as a car or a home, before accepting a client, Peters said.

___

COULD POLICE HAVE INTERVENED EARLIER TO PREVENT THE GATHERING AND SHOOTOUT?

Earlier this week, Waco police said that prior to the shootout, authorities received intelligence that the motorcycle gangs would be gathering at Twin Peaks for a meeting.

But, said Police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton, police could not have prevented the gathering, or the subsequent violence because the meeting occurred at a private business.

The Constitution guarantees the right to assemble peacefully.

"We really don't want police to go in anytime we don't like a gathering of people," said Cynthia Alkon, an associate professor of criminal law and dispute resolution at Texas A&M University.

Police have to know of a crime or conspiracy that's being planned or expected to occur before they can disrupt an event, she said.

"Folks simply gathering who are not a liked group of people doesn't rise to the level of a criminal conspiracy," Alkon said.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

The perps are referred to as "thugs?" Anywhere?

Great point, and a really interesting thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Godfather.

wow what a shame, if any club goes to war with the police there will only be one winner and a war like that could totally wipe a club in that area and inflict heavy damage on all its other chapters, the best way to handle this would be in court...man a war of that kind could be real trouble for bikers everywhere, I have been pulled over just so the officer could check out my bike because come to find out they (2 officers were looking to buy H.D's) just wanted to ask what kind of bike was a good starter,best value etc. and I've been thrown to ground but that was quite a while back. I hope this doessn't turn into a combat situation. but then again the media loves this kind of shit and loves to stoke the fire.

Godfather.

My ex stated the exact same thing and we couldn't agree more, there's only gonna be one winner, and bad, bad ,bad for the rest of the clubs and chapters. We are hoping things don't come down to that and they just lawyer up. Media is claiming it's the Bandidos and Black Widows making the threat, we can't believe that they're that stupid. Nevertheless...

Cops were cool with me. One time while out on a run, when coming up on a curve, I hit a patch of sand and went down, the only thing stopping me from total disaster was the guardrail, but in the slide my leg was pinned between my bike and the rail, when I was able to pull out of it just enough I let go of my Harley and flung myself off and the bike went completely down on it's side messing up my paint job. Pretty shaken, I hobbled over to my bike and jumped back on and we rode to the nearest watering hole. A few of the guys helped me inside, and was giving me crap when one took his broken wings pin and put it on my jacket. Then the cops showed up because a passerby saw the accident and called it in and all the cops had to do was look for a bunch of bikes yeah, at the closest watering hole. They asked if I needed an ambulance, and were pretty insistent in trying to call one. I refused the ambulance but, assured them I would go in and be checked. So we agreed on that but, what was pretty nice of them was that they let us finish our drinks and gave us an escort clearing the intersections and lights to the nearest E.R. The staff at the hospital was a little thrown off with the amount of bikes pulling in with a police escort, had my leg x-rayed and checked, but was lucky with no broken bones, just bad swelling and bruising.
    For thread integrity, the cops know that not all bikers and clubs are "thugs".
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

My ex stated the exact same thing and we couldn't agree more, there's only gonna be one winner, and bad, bad ,bad for the rest of the clubs and chapters. We are hoping things don't come down to that and they just lawyer up. Media is claiming it's the Bandidos and Black Widows making the threat, we can't believe that they're that stupid. Nevertheless...

Cops were cool with me. One time while out on a run, when coming up on a curve, I hit a patch of sand and went down, the only thing stopping me from total disaster was the guardrail, but in the slide my leg was pinned between my bike and the rail, when I was able to pull out of it just enough I let go of my Harley and flung myself off and the bike went completely down on it's side messing up my paint job. Pretty shaken, I hobbled over to my bike and jumped back on and we rode to the nearest watering hole. A few of the guys helped me inside, and was giving me crap when one took his broken wings pin and put it on my jacket. Then the cops showed up because a passerby saw the accident and called it in and all the cops had to do was look for a bunch of bikes yeah, at the closest watering hole. They asked if I needed an ambulance, and were pretty insistent in trying to call one. I refused the ambulance but, assured them I would go in and be checked. So we agreed on that but, what was pretty nice of them was that they let us finish our drinks and gave us an escort clearing the intersections and lights to the nearest E.R. The staff at the hospital was a little thrown off with the amount of bikes pulling in with a police escort, had my leg x-rayed and checked, but was lucky with no broken bones, just bad swelling and bruising.

You, my dear, are one badass chick :)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

You, my dear, are one badass chick :)
    Haha, yep, that's me, 5'2 of sheer terror, or at least that's what my ex claims! :peace:
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited May 2015
    I called them thugs.
  • Options

I called them thugs.

After you expressed your opinion that this thread belonged in the rejected thread topics thread. I'm not convinced that you think this is worth discussing. I still have yet to see the media portray these thugs as thugs like they did after Baltimore, Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. I guess it's just me that sees the inherent racial bias in the media and on these boards.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

I called them thugs.

After you expressed your opinion that this thread belonged in the rejected thread topics thread. I'm not convinced that you think this is worth discussing. I still have yet to see the media portray these thugs as thugs like they did after Baltimore, Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. I guess it's just me that sees the inherent racial bias in the media and on these boards.
    It's not that I'm not convinced this isn't worth discussing. Im just not sure what you guys want. There are differences between this event and the Baltimore events. You guys are comparing apples to meatloaf.
  • Options
    White America’s Waco insanity: The shocking realities it ignores about racism & violence
    The response to the Twin Peaks shootout says everything you need to know about how white privilege really works

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/20/white_americas_waco_insanity_the_shocking_realities_it_ignores_about_racism_violence/
  • Options

I called them thugs.

I guess it's just me that sees the inherent racial bias in the media and on these boards.
    Many if not most see it.

• Options

I called them thugs.

It's not that I'm not convinced this isn't worth discussing. Im just not sure what you guys want. There are differences between this event and the Baltimore events. You guys are comparing apples to meatloaf.
    Read the Salon piece that dignin posted above. It speaks to what "us guys" want.

Very interesting article dignin. Thanks for posting it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    dignin said:

I called them thugs.

I guess it's just me that sees the inherent racial bias in the media and on these boards.
    Many if not most see it.

So you think I'm racist?

Rephrased question out of curiosity: Do you think I'm a racist?
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    dignin said:

White America’s Waco insanity: The shocking realities it ignores about racism & violence
    The response to the Twin Peaks shootout says everything you need to know about how white privilege really works

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/20/white_americas_waco_insanity_the_shocking_realities_it_ignores_about_racism_violence/

What are the shocking realities in this article? The police didn't respond in riot gear. That's the argument? You want CNN and Fox to label these biker gangs as thugs? Ok.

Let's keep race in the news by making up a racial divide in every news worthy story.