Options

Record Store Day Mystery Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but just wondering if they plan on stopping orders as soon as the requisite number of pairs are bought up, or if they plan on letting us all complete the orders and then just cancel most of them randomly (which would amount to a lottery). I am wondering about the second option just because of the statement about having the right to cancel orders for any reason. I would personally prefer option number two. I like lotteries, and not a huge fan of being an F5 victim. But it looks like the assumption is that we'll just see "sold out" at about 10:03am.

WIth option #2, I was thinking the same thing. I'm cautiously optimistic the majority of us will get through to checkout without hassle at 10 AM, then have our orders cancelled throughout the day as the bundles are assembled, basically making this opportunity to purchase a "lottery".

Regardless, I still love this opportunity to get some out-of-print material at a very reasonable price to listen, feel and experience while knowing that is more likely than not of getting a black Backspacer + 2011 Christmas single.

5 more days!
    ...just got a fresh bottle.
  • Options
    BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    301 comments and 11 pages, with everyone worrying, whining and freaking out about something that hasn't even happened yet. Crazy PJ fans!!! :)
  • Options

301 comments and 11 pages, with everyone worrying, whining and freaking out about something that hasn't even happened yet. Crazy PJ fans!!! :)

Not to mention already making deals based on what they might receive! Lol.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

Hopefully this is letting some steam out of the post mystery sale bitching. I'd like to think that everybody is gonna get a choices piece, whether it's full album or single. I just think the values of the packages are gonna be all over the place so many are gonna feel shortchanged, even if they get their $50 worth.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,867
    DewieCox said:

Hopefully this is letting some steam out of the post mystery sale bitching. I'd like to think that everybody is gonna get a choices piece, whether it's full album or single. I just think the values of the packages are gonna be all over the place so many are gonna feel shortchanged, even if they get their $50 worth.
    There is going to be quite a bit of complaining of ppl whose orders didn't go through...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    a5pj said:

DewieCox said:

There is going to be quite a bit of complaining of ppl whose orders didn't go through...
    I'm not sure it is going to be that fast of a sellout. I could see the board really over hyping this.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,385

a5pj said:

DewieCox said:

I'm not sure it is going to be that fast of a sellout. I could see the board really over hyping this.
    The fact that there's a chance to score a Benny vinyl, it'll sell out fast. But it might throw away many international 10club members when they check out their order. I added a 12" & 7" vinyl in the store & shipping rate was $20.99. That's $70.99 US. So $89.46 CDN. Many might not want to try their luck because of that price.

Though I still believe these Mystery Vinyls will be capped 1 per mailing address. More then 1 shipped to the same mailing address will be canceled.
  • Options
    In the spirit of continued excitement leading up to Saturday, I threw together a quick spreadsheet with estimated odds assuming you can land one of the mystery packages.

I resorted everything based on PJ vs. Other and tried my best to put things inline with their release time-frame.

Just my $0.02 so take it for what it is worth.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cpe-e6O0pm0WinLlsjbga7H_y6bizXYPc0Gz-aAmyno/edit?usp=sharing

...just got a fresh bottle.
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    AndySlash said:

Sarava said:

This is going to sell out in like 2 minutes, isn't it?

i'd bank on it.
    I give it under 30 seconds
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Yep, Most won't even get it into the cart.
  • Options
    jaykay20jaykay20 Mannheim, Germany Posts: 379

In the spirit of continued excitement leading up to Saturday, I threw together a quick spreadsheet with estimated odds assuming you can land one of the mystery packages.

I resorted everything based on PJ vs. Other and tried my best to put things inline with their release time-frame.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cpe-e6O0pm0WinLlsjbga7H_y6bizXYPc0Gz-aAmyno/edit?usp=sharing

Great effort, thanks!
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,010
    As much as I'd like to be excited about this. I have lost out every time there's been something that was an item to sell that would sell out in 1 minute or two.

If I remember right, what has maybe gotten me the last few times is when you hit proceed to checkout. The next page you have to enter your shipping. Hitting continue before the shipping cost shows up puts you in a loop if I remember right. When you do this at a normal time like now, it comes up in like half a second. When the system is lagged, it takes a while. I'll tyr to wait this time and see what happens. This might have affected others as well.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,512
    I doubt they're going to let all the orders go through and then randomly cancel people. That's way too much work and the complaining would reach epic proportions.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Hope I score a vinyl pack. Good luck to everyone. Just remember to log in and order at 10:01a...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,564

Thanks for this! Looks like almost a 50/50 chance of getting an lp thats still for sale in the shop?
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,867
    Be nice if you could buy it now and then they do a lottery to decide who gets to buy, then charged immediately (kinda like tickets).

But like another poster, hopefully it takes a while like the mystery boxes due to the price. Those boxes hung around for a week or so if I remember right.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,971

I think we're all very, very sick, because I hate to think about how many odds spreadsheets have been created for this (yours and mine included, of course).

The way I see it, it'd be pretty easy for PJ to release exact quantities of how many of each product they have. To know that a product had between five and ten in stock, they'd need to know that there are seven in total. In that case, there's probably a reason they're giving the range - and that's likely to round up where convenient (rare products), and round down where inconvenient (commodity-like products). In that case, I'd guess a game being played, and likely the odds of getting a commodity-like item are greater than even our most conservative estimates, and the odds of getting a rarer item are less than our most conservative estimates.

Going through engineering has left me entirely skeptical about numbers and their true meanings: too often, we think of numbers as 'firm' and 'without bias', but their presentations do change those all the time.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    As some already said, its about $25 worth of excitement and mystery, and $25 in vinyl for most cases. Most of the vinyl offered can be purchased for $15. And like the previous mystery bundles, I can add up the total cost of the items and they amount to about half of what I paid, and are still for sale on the website.
    That being said, I still always sign up. Its worth the extra $25 to know for sure that I didn't get the Benny than to wonder...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    mace1229 said:

As some already said, its about $25 worth of excitement and mystery, and $25 in vinyl for most cases. Most of the vinyl offered can be purchased for $15. And like the previous mystery bundles, I can add up the total cost of the items and they amount to about half of what I paid, and are still for sale on the website.
    That being said, I still always sign up. Its worth the extra $25 to know for sure that I didn't get the Benny than to wonder...

That's the way I see it! :plus_one:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,950
    on2legs said:

Anyone not going to try for this?

me

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    benjs said:

I think we're all very, very sick, because I hate to think about how many odds spreadsheets have been created for this (yours and mine included, of course).

The way I see it, it'd be pretty easy for PJ to release exact quantities of how many of each product they have. To know that a product had between five and ten in stock, they'd need to know that there are seven in total. In that case, there's probably a reason they're giving the range - and that's likely to round up where convenient (rare products), and round down where inconvenient (commodity-like products). In that case, I'd guess a game being played, and likely the odds of getting a commodity-like item are greater than even our most conservative estimates, and the odds of getting a rarer item are less than our most conservative estimates.

Going through engineering has left me entirely skeptical about numbers and their true meanings: too often, we think of numbers as 'firm' and 'without bias', but their presentations do change those all the time.
    This
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    KP198228KP198228 Posts: 8
    Wow, this is exciting! Sorry but I have some strong feeling on this that I would like to express. First off, this is a really cool idea and the best thing about RSD IMO. Now having said that $50.. plus shipping is a bit of a rip off. period. $35/$40 makes more sense to me. As a fan this is not the pearl jam of old. What happen to the band that tried to lower ticket prices for their fans? It just smacks of being taken advantage of to me. I can't help but say it feels like they (PJ and their people) have become what they use to fight against and that is disappointing. At the end of the day we are talking about $70 plus dollars for an LP and single!!! and that's on the cheap end. I also believe that not much care will be put into the selection. I think most of us will get 2 of what we'd rather not have, and that is disappointing. But... the concept is brilliant, and I love to gamble a bit, so the anticipation (just like with gambling) will most likely be better than the outcome...which is why you get this rant from me, cus it's me having fun. So I'm in (reluctantly) and OK if I lose out. Now, if I was to snatch an LP that I actually wanted.... then it will be a great experience. If I don't get in, or don't get something I love, or learn to love.... then it's the same feeling I get after buying a scratch ticket... in hind sight, hardly worth it. Sorry if I bored you but thanks for listening!

Now.. what is with all the Benaroual talk, why is that the one a lot posters want? Is it the collect- ability or the actual performance that is sought?

Love the "this is what I want" posts... here's mine and maybe we could keep this up.

3 LP's I would love to land... plus 2 honorable mentions:

Lost Dogs
    Avocado "Self Titled"
    Mad Season

Coke Bottle Ten
    Yield

Single's:

Sevens box set
    2003 Annual 7" single
    Mother Love Bone "Hold Your Head Up"

Mad Season River of Deceit
    Merkin Ball

You see the only LP of PJ's I have is Vitalogy and I'm more into what I like rather then what is rare.

Lastly, Thank you to everyone that submitted an odds chart. Those are awesome and really get you thinking.

• Options
    Santos, any idea how quick the shipping turnaround will be? Curious if I should save some money and ship to my sister in Los Angeles and have my mom bring the vinyl back with her on the plane.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,950
    not another "this is not the pearl jam of old" comment. ugh.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited April 2015
    KP198228 said:

Now.. what is with all the Benaroual talk, why is that the one a lot posters want? Is it the collect- ability or the actual performance that is sought?

Well, I can't talk for everybody, but in my opinion the Benaroya Hall show is one of the most beautiful recordings the band have done. From beginning to end. This is why I would like one. So bad. Sigh. Many posters would like it because it is not easy to come by. There were allegedly only 2000 made, so the demand exceeds the supply. I cannot justify to drop a grand or more on a vinyl album. I am a normal person.
    PJ needs to start reissuing stuff :relaxed:
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Yeah. Boo hoo. How dare they charge $50 for chance to get some rare vinyl, some of which has market value of $750-1200. I cannot believe it!!
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    Is international shipment really $70? Pff, I can almost buy Yield or No Code with that kind of money....
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710

Is international shipment really $70? Pff, I can almost buy Yield or No Code with that kind of money.... can anyone confirm this?

• Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    I guess the best way is to expect the worst possible scenario and be surprised if anything rare arrives. In my case, I'll just expect to get Lightning Bolt Black and the 2012 X-Mas Single. I have friends I could give them to as gifts.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Too much thinking. Too much!!
    www.cluthelee.com