Options

What the hell happened in Wisconsin?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,776
    edited March 2015
    Fail.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Why should this be shut down? And why now? I've been singled out here and there in a weird way but would never consider it bullying nor worthy of stifling the conversation.
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited March 2015

brianlux said:

Serious issues sometimes call for serious emotions. I don't see what's wrong with that.

But sweeping ridiculous false statements like bsl keeps spewing get annoying after a while. "Apathy for life", "regarding cops as saints". To be blunt, it's fucking stupid and childish to make statements like this to try to just get a reaction from others, especially when the evidence points to the direct opposite. We can discuss without half the thread being many of us refuting these ridiculous claims.
    So what exactly do you call justification for ending one's life when one is on the ground and there are 4 cops on you? Justify the killing a 12 year old with a toy gun. That is APATHY for life. Some of you talk like you view the police can do no wrong and does the term "pledge allegiance" sound familiar? It's only been mentioned by me and Gambs several times in this thread regarding the common thread with many of the unquestioning the police people.

And the "evidence points to the direct opposite". Laughable. Show me the evidence.
    Jesus Christ, man.

Give it up. You are like the human embodiment of Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: you keep making entries that say the same fucking thing. If your purpose is to annoy people to the point they want to stick pins in their eyeballs... you are inching nearer to success.

One last time from me... get ready... if you've been skimming to this point stop skimming now and really concentrate 'cause here it comes... the points you need to hear:

1. There are cases where cops have acted poorly in the line of duty. In these cases, cops need to be held accountable. Nobody is pleased that Tamir Rice was gunned down while playing in the park- it was unbelievably poor police work that should lead to dismissals, but not necessarily murder. In extreme cases, criminal charges should be laid (Thomas).

2. Cops are human and prone to error. They have a difficult job to do... it's much tougher than your job (whatever that might be... maybe it's no job?). When they make errors while performing under pressure and in tense moments we can't simply throw therm off a cliff. We have to afford a measure of appreciation and understanding for the challenges they face. Anyone of us might make errors in the same position.

3. If anybody tries to reach for a cop's gun in a scuffle... they can expect to be shot. What do you think the victim was trying to get the gun for? It's self defense. Period.

4. Blaming cops, at the point of trouble is like blaming the car directly in front of you for a traffic jam. They are not to blame for the racial divide. Look at your corporate machine and the unbelievable inequity in wealth as a more significant factor contributing to what you have such a problem with.

There's more, but that's all I care to reiterate for now. If you are going to persist with going on about how awesome you and RG are and how shitty 'the rest of us are'... I might have to take the gloves off.

Have a nice day.

Fuck ya thirty bills!
    At least this one isn't the same as all the other ones.

But, to be fair, this is not an original submission. It's been presented already in the MT.

Look... you seem like a decent person and I'm tired of arguing with you. Here's all I have for an olive branch: I get and respect your passion and compassion for those people subjected to unfair police treatment. I'm there with you in some cases as well. All I ask is you look at these situations from an individual cop's perspective at times too. These people do a tough job and at the end of the day... they want to come home, hug their kids, have a glass of wine, and listen to Pearl Jam just like all of us. Wearing the uniform doesn't make them subhuman.

I know you'll say I DO... but if you do... you do so with such a teeny weeny little font and with so few words that one is hardly left with the impression you have things in complete perspective.

* Edit: My apologies BSL. I erroneously thought this was your response to mine. I stand by my 'olive branch' though.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Wow this thread... when the bullying posturing starts up it's time to shut this fucker down.

Good grief and GOOD NIGHT!

Brian... you've written as many inflammatory things as anyone in this thread.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,871
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Serious issues sometimes call for serious emotions. I don't see what's wrong with that.

But sweeping ridiculous false statements like bsl keeps spewing get annoying after a while. "Apathy for life", "regarding cops as saints". To be blunt, it's fucking stupid and childish to make statements like this to try to just get a reaction from others, especially when the evidence points to the direct opposite. We can discuss without half the thread being many of us refuting these ridiculous claims.
    Emotional I get but, really, "sweeping ridiculous false statements", "fucking stupid", "childish", "ridiculous claims"? What could be said about those sentiments, Hugh?

Emotional... right!

We are a passionate bunch, I'll grant that.

Not emotional, at all. Just my opinion.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

brianlux said:

So what exactly do you call justification for ending one's life when one is on the ground and there are 4 cops on you? Justify the killing a 12 year old with a toy gun. That is APATHY for life. Many here have said that criminal scumbags deserve death, tell me how that isn't apathy of life. Tell me, on what terms should a victim of police be allowed to live? Where does this fine line fall? And why don't the police actively exercise letting someone live? Oh, that's right, because it is law that if an officer said that they aimed to injure, that they'd be subject to a civil suit. Shooting to kill saves them from all of that, so they train to shoot for the chest… but don't be a fool, they call it "shoot to harm".

Some of you talk like you view the police can do no wrong and does the term "pledge allegiance" sound familiar? (yeah, saintly) It's only been mentioned by me and Gambs several times in this thread regarding the common thread with many of the 'unquestioning the police' people. But bedamned us people who dare question our authority… Again, why we're leaning towards a police state.

Reaction from others, you really think I am REPEATING MYSELF CONSTANTLY because I want reaction? How many times does the same point have to be made before one actually hears it? And the "evidence points to the direct opposite". Laughable. Show me the evidence.

This is reality. Police brutality combined with racism = major US problem. Justifying death in for a 12 year old's death? Apathy.
    I really dont know what the fuck you are on. Seriously. I never justified the shooting of a 12 year old.

Just because we dont agree with your point, does not mean it went unnoticed or misunderstood. It just isnt agreed with. Try grasping the fact that all of our points are opinions, yours holds no more weight than anyone else's. We are here to discuss, not to learn from you.

The evidence points to the direct opposite statement was in regards to my views, and how you seem to have zero clue what my actual position is. You are choosing not to because you just want to shout from the rooftops that no one is listening to you, even when someone agrees with you.

By all means. Keep on shouting.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited March 2015
    brianlux said:

Wow this thread... when the bullying posturing starts up it's time to shut this fucker down.

No shit. I'm out. There is no room for reasoned debate here.

• Options

brianlux said:

So what exactly do you call justification for ending one's life when one is on the ground and there are 4 cops on you? Justify the killing a 12 year old with a toy gun. That is APATHY for life. Many here have said that criminal scumbags deserve death, tell me how that isn't apathy of life. Tell me, on what terms should a victim of police be allowed to live? Where does this fine line fall? And why don't the police actively exercise letting someone live? Oh, that's right, because it is law that if an officer said that they aimed to injure, that they'd be subject to a civil suit. Shooting to kill saves them from all of that, so they train to shoot for the chest… but don't be a fool, they call it "shoot to harm".

Some of you talk like you view the police can do no wrong and does the term "pledge allegiance" sound familiar? (yeah, saintly) It's only been mentioned by me and Gambs several times in this thread regarding the common thread with many of the 'unquestioning the police' people. But bedamned us people who dare question our authority… Again, why we're leaning towards a police state.

Reaction from others, you really think I am REPEATING MYSELF CONSTANTLY because I want reaction? How many times does the same point have to be made before one actually hears it? And the "evidence points to the direct opposite". Laughable. Show me the evidence.

This is reality. Police brutality combined with racism = major US problem. Justifying death in for a 12 year old's death? Apathy.
    And who is saying the police are above the law or beyond reproach? Nobody. This is an assumption and another silly accusation of yours.

Keep shouting.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Brian, I hope you know you weren't being attacked, and your specific post/comment questioned - fairly so. Again, even though you re-stated, there is no obsession. Surely you can see how that's an unfair assessment of those you respect (as is reciprocated by myself as well as I'm sure others.

There've been many incidents mentioned in this and other related threads, some seen as valid by no other choice, and others denounced, rightly so. The one here recently in LA had nothing to do with race, nor did Kelly Thomas - my opinions of which are vastly different.

I'll grant "obsessed" may be too strong a word. The point is, several here have dug in their heels with defending the trend toward "shoot first, ask questions later". At least that's how I read it. I'm not talking about a specific incident (and to be fair, that is what this thread is about) but rather the multiple incidents (we've talked about several of them on AMT) of people getting gunned down, choked to death etc.

I remember when the first person was killed by a police officer in Palo Alto, CA. That had never happened before. Ever! People were shocked. It was a big deal. Now it's just another shooting, ho hum... sad how things have changed.

Again, no one advocates for shoot first ask questions later. Do you really beleive what you are writing?

Bullshit. In the Czech Republic, as I already stated, the policy is to shoot only after fired upon. How many cases in the U.S. end up with a fatality only to find that it was a toy gun? knife? no weapon? That as what Brian means in shoot first, talk later. Cops jump the gun, assume their life is threatened and because the law is nothing like the CR, they don't have to wait. They can assume that the victim is reaching for the gun, so that gives them permission to fire. And not just fire, fire center mass, for the heart, shoot dead. Get away with murder.
    Andonce again, sure, if you Choose to cherry pick for point you are trying to make, yeah, the CR has a fabulous police policy of shooting the extremities first.

Except when the perp is shooting at them. Then they fucking execute them. Mafia style. Two in the chest. One in the head. Direct from the article you posted. Apathy for life, as you would say. You think that is a policy worth emulating?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I wonder what the police in the CR would do if someone were to reach for their gun? Bite them in the leg? Doubtful. I am guessing one between the eyes is probably their policy on that one.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

Bullying? Did I miss something?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

brianlux said:

The drama of the denial you people live in is really unbelievable. (Not specifically you, just all of you).

And yet you don't understand how this can be viewed as coming off as self-righteous? Really?

Explain how it is reality to believe that there is no police brutality especially with minority groups in the U.S.
    I dont believe there is no police brutality and issues with minority groups. I stated that very clearly a while back.

Keep shouting.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

Correct, you left reasoned debate page 3.
  • Options

The police of yesteryear were cool, decent people who were in it for the right reasons (meaning, not for the power trip). We never heard of police brutality, and in dealing with cops busting up our parties, or being pulled over for speeding, or anything else for that matter, it was never a problem. They treated us with respect as fellow human beings, we got along, and ultimately we tried to stay away from them. We didn't question them because, due to our mutual respect, they sometimes gave us a break for speeding once in a while, or getting into some other kind of trouble, having beer parties, etc.

The reason cops have a bad name now is because they overall stopped being those same decent people who gave us a break once in a while. Suddenly, some cops have a bone to pick with everyone, they have huge egos and they like carrying around a gun legally, and they like to show everyone who's boss. They stopped showing us respect, especially the white cops with minorities. They became more belligerent. They stopped letting us go with having a headlight out. Suddenly, now the police are using their gun to kill rather than to disarm and capture.

Does anyone see the trend here. One day we have Ponch and Jon of Chips patrolling our highway - the nice guys keeping our area safe, the next - we have a cop, first one, then another, and another... killing because "he can". He has "the authority to". So it seems to me that the supporters are supporters of a police state. Because that's pretty much what we've become.

Good 'ol USA society.

I was reading back in this thread to try to figure out when it all went sour, and I came across this. I truly believe that you have some wild misconception of some perceived difference in cops of today vs decades ago. All cops were decent back then? Seriously. I could probably pull any random black or hispanic person off the street who is 60 years old or more and virtually guarantee they'll have a much different perspective than the Barney Fife you presented here. This honestly is so pie in the sky, reading it again gave me a laugh.

If anything, cops now are less corrupt, less racist, less agressive than the cop of yesteryear. This notion that all cops were heroes back in the day is nothing more than a fantasy created by hollywood. It just is not based in any reality.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited March 2015

The police of yesteryear were cool, decent people who were in it for the right reasons (meaning, not for the power trip). We never heard of police brutality, and in dealing with cops busting up our parties, or being pulled over for speeding, or anything else for that matter, it was never a problem. They treated us with respect as fellow human beings, we got along, and ultimately we tried to stay away from them. We didn't question them because, due to our mutual respect, they sometimes gave us a break for speeding once in a while, or getting into some other kind of trouble, having beer parties, etc.

The reason cops have a bad name now is because they overall stopped being those same decent people who gave us a break once in a while. Suddenly, some cops have a bone to pick with everyone, they have huge egos and they like carrying around a gun legally, and they like to show everyone who's boss. They stopped showing us respect, especially the white cops with minorities. They became more belligerent. They stopped letting us go with having a headlight out. Suddenly, now the police are using their gun to kill rather than to disarm and capture.

Does anyone see the trend here. One day we have Ponch and Jon of Chips patrolling our highway - the nice guys keeping our area safe, the next - we have a cop, first one, then another, and another... killing because "he can". He has "the authority to". So it seems to me that the supporters are supporters of a police state. Because that's pretty much what we've become.

Good 'ol USA society.

I was reading back in this thread to try to figure out when it all went sour, and I came across this. I truly believe that you have some wild misconception of some perceived difference in cops of today vs decades ago. All cops were decent back then? Seriously. I could probably pull any random black or hispanic person off the street who is 60 years old or more and virtually guarantee they'll have a much different perspective than the Barney Fife you presented here. This honestly is so pie in the sky, reading it again gave me a laugh.

If anything, cops now are less corrupt, less racist, less agressive than the cop of yesteryear. This notion that all cops were heroes back in the day is nothing more than a fantasy created by hollywood. It just is not based in any reality.
    Wow, just wow. clearly in denial. That bolded statement just blows my mind how ignorant you really are to the situation. Before I let you continue to live under that rock, I'll just mention that not ONCE in this thread did ANY of you pro-police people post a backup article to justify your position. Therefore it's just your personal denial crap. Whereas I have posted plenty to back up my position, lots of stats, lots of info. And here's some more. Just for the record, I only post viable sources, as I know there are lots of incredible sources on the web.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/racism-unchecked-police-violence-american-epidemic/197618/
    Racism And Unchecked Police Violence: An American Epidemic

http://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/police-reasonable-force-brutality-race-research-review-statistics#
    Excessive or reasonable force by police? Research on law enforcement and racial conflict in the wake of Ferguson

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/8-horrible-truths-about-police-brutality-and-racism-america-laid-bare-ferguson
    8 Horrible Truths About Police Brutality and Racism in America Laid Bare by Ferguson
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    and 30, if I were to think of how it is for an individual officer, just trying to get by in life? It's a no brainer, I'd quit my job and find one that didn't require shooting to kill, when faced with an emergency. I actually have a conscience. Good night.
  • Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/22/ferguson-black-america_n_5694364.html

21 Numbers That Will Help You Understand Why Ferguson Is About More Than Michael Brown
  • Options

and 30, if I were to think of how it is for an individual officer, just trying to get by in life? It's a no brainer, I'd quit my job and find one that didn't require shooting to kill, when faced with an emergency. I actually have a conscience. Good night.

By Karumba.

Good night to you to ma'am. And sleep tight knowing people without a conscience are working to keep the streets nice and safe for you.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I forgot you had to have opinion articles backing up our opinions.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    Anyone have info on the police in the Slovak Republic?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,776
    edited March 2015
    Fail.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

OK, just to clarify. The "shut this fucker" down thing was a double entendre: shut down my computer/ shut down this thread. What did gimme say about beating these dead horse threads? But what the hey, carry on.

hedonist said:

Why should this be shut down? And why now? I've been singled out here and there in a weird way but would never consider it bullying nor worthy of stifling the conversation.

I realize that. We've all been targets. It's become a shooting match. I don't really care if this thread goes on... but I kinda doubt it will if it stays too personal.

brianlux said:

I will duly and sincerely apologize for anything thing I have said specifically to any individual here that can be characterized as a personal attack. Please, show me where.

Other than than, I'll move on.

Come on, man.

Comments made to a specific person... perhaps not. Comments directed towards a specific mindset... definitely. The people with that mindset understood what you succinctly implied.

You took a few shots. They weren't lost on anyone. It doesn't matter. This topic has been exhausted from my perspective. I think we all know where we all stand and fair enough... we don't have to agree. You are exceptional (even though you slip in fast food restaurants with your hippy sandals).

I would say, for the record, that whenever I find myself in opposition to Hugh... I really examine what it is I'm saying and if I should be saying it. He's had me reverse course at least once and in my estimation, he's probably the most balanced individual on this forum. I don't always agree with him or think he's correct, but I respect where he's at and how he's come to where he's at more often than not. So... something to think about at the least.

Hugh... don't puff your plume out too proudly. You have your moments too.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

brianlux said:

And who is saying the police are above the law or beyond reproach? Nobody. This is an assumption and another silly accusation of yours.

Keep shouting.

Regardless of whether anyone here says so or not, there is a widespread corruption among the system that holds police accountable professionally and criminally. We can all agree on cases where brutality is an issue, but even in those egregious cases the perps walk, hell skate, out of trouble.
    If criticism of police brutality is met as ferociously as it is here, imagine how it is in truly pro-cop and truly conservative environments. This amounts to enabling the culture of police not being held accountable in my opinion.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited March 2015

Absolutely you do, but not opinion articles, hard facts and statistics. This is about a huge issue, or what many on your side says, the lack of an issue. So prove it then! I've done my work, you do yours. Otherwise your opinion doesn't have a leg to stand on.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

You sure are special.
  • Options

brianlux said:

OK, just to clarify. The "shut this fucker" down thing was a double entendre: shut down my computer/ shut down this thread. What did gimme say about beating these dead horse threads? But what the hey, carry on.

hedonist said:

I realize that. We've all been targets. It's become a shooting match. I don't really care if this thread goes on... but I kinda doubt it will if it stays too personal.

brianlux said:

I will duly and sincerely apologize for anything thing I have said specifically to any individual here that can be characterized as a personal attack. Please, show me where.

Other than than, I'll move on.

Come on, man.

Comments made to a specific person... perhaps not. Comments directed towards a specific mindset... definitely. The people with that mindset understood what you succinctly implied.

You took a few shots. They weren't lost on anyone. It doesn't matter. This topic has been exhausted from my perspective. I think we all know where we all stand and fair enough... we don't have to agree. You are exceptional (even though you slip in fast food restaurants with your hippy sandals).

I would say, for the record, that whenever I find myself in opposition to Hugh... I really examine what it is I'm saying and if I should be saying it. He's had me reverse course at least once and in my estimation, he's probably the most balanced individual on this forum. I don't always agree with him or think he's correct, but I respect where he's at and how he's come to where he's at more often than not. So... something to think about at the least.

Hugh... don't puff your plume out too proudly. You have your moments too.
    yes, I absolutely have had my moments. I will readily admit that.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

+1

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Good 'ol USA society.

Wow, just wow. clearly in denial. That bolded statement just blows my mind how ignorant you really are to the situation. Before I let you continue to live under that rock, I'll just mention that not ONCE in this thread did ANY of you pro-police people post a backup article to justify your position. Therefore it's just your personal denial crap. Whereas I have posted plenty to back up my position, lots of stats, lots of info. And here's some more. Just for the record, I only post viable sources, as I know there are lots of incredible sources on the web.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/racism-unchecked-police-violence-american-epidemic/197618/
    Racism And Unchecked Police Violence: An American Epidemic

http://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/police-reasonable-force-brutality-race-research-review-statistics#
    Excessive or reasonable force by police? Research on law enforcement and racial conflict in the wake of Ferguson

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/8-horrible-truths-about-police-brutality-and-racism-america-laid-bare-ferguson
    8 Horrible Truths About Police Brutality and Racism in America Laid Bare by Ferguson
    I don't know how many credible studies have been done to disprove racism and police brutality. generally you don't do studies to disprove something. that's not how it works. of course it's opinion, just like your position.

is there truth to what you say? of course there is. but to say it's the ultimate truth and that the rest of us are just in denial is just plain bollocks.

here is something I've wondered for a long time, and tell me if it's a dumb question for reasons I'm not thinking of, but why don't police use rubber bullets? aren't they effective and non-lethal so as to incapacitate the "bad guy" long enough to subdue him and keep him alive?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I know I said I'm out, but I wanted to post this one last thing. Too bad these threads get so personal and toxic.

This is a two part series done by This American Life and is fantastic. It is so perfect for this conversation, but sadly I'm sure will largely be ignored. It shows both sides.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/547/cops-see-it-differently-part-one

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/548/cops-see-it-differently-part-two
  • Options
    dignin said:

I know I said I'm out, but I wanted to post this one last thing. Too bad these threads get so personal and toxic.

This is a two part series done by This American Life and is fantastic. It is so perfect for this conversation, but sadly I'm sure will largely be ignored. It shows both sides.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/547/cops-see-it-differently-part-one

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/548/cops-see-it-differently-part-two

I'll be checking this out when I'm at home. Thanks for posting.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com