Options

What the hell happened in Wisconsin?

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

I know I said I'm out, but I wanted to post this one last thing. Too bad these threads get so personal and toxic.

This is a two part series done by This American Life and is fantastic. It is so perfect for this conversation, but sadly I'm sure will largely be ignored. It shows both sides.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/547/cops-see-it-differently-part-one

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/548/cops-see-it-differently-part-two

I'll be checking this out when I'm at home. Thanks for posting.

No problem Hugh, and thanks for taking the time. Let me know what you think.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,871
    here is a link to a finding from a police agency in EUROPE:

http://www.pfoa.co.uk/110/shooting-to-wound

an excerpt from the bottom of the article:

The experts we consulted agreed that advocates who push a shoot-to-wound agenda appear to understand little about human dynamics, ballistics, tactics, force legalities or the challenges officers face on the street. Chudwin has found that these critics of police practices can often be enlightened if they are invited to experience force decision-making scenarios on a firearms simulator.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dignin said:

dignin said:

I know I said I'm out, but I wanted to post this one last thing. Too bad these threads get so personal and toxic.

This is a two part series done by This American Life and is fantastic. It is so perfect for this conversation, but sadly I'm sure will largely be ignored. It shows both sides.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/547/cops-see-it-differently-part-one

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/548/cops-see-it-differently-part-two

No problem Hugh, and thanks for taking the time. Let me know what you think.

I too appreciate any open-sided contribution. No venom, finger-pointing or labels.

(unfortunately, the link isn't loading here)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,776
    edited March 2015
    Fail.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

OK, just to clarify. The "shut this fucker" down thing was a double entendre: shut down my computer/ shut down this thread. What did gimme say about beating these dead horse threads? But what the hey, carry on.

hedonist said:

Why should this be shut down? And why now? I've been singled out here and there in a weird way but would never consider it bullying nor worthy of stifling the conversation.

I realize that. We've all been targets. It's become a shooting match. I don't really care if this thread goes on... but I kinda doubt it will if it stays too personal.

brianlux said:

Wow this thread... when the bullying posturing starts up it's time to shut this fucker down.

Good grief and GOOD NIGHT!

Brian... you've written as many inflammatory things as anyone in this thread.
    I will duly and sincerely apologize for anything thing I have said specifically to any individual here that can be characterized as a personal attack. Please, show me where.

Other than than, I'll move on.

Come on, man.

Comments made to a specific person... perhaps not. Comments directed towards a specific mindset... definitely. The people with that mindset understood what you succinctly implied.

You took a few shots. They weren't lost on anyone. It doesn't matter. This topic has been exhausted from my perspective. I think we all know where we all stand and fair enough... we don't have to agree. You are exceptional (even though you slip in fast food restaurants with your hippy sandals).

I would say, for the record, that whenever I find myself in opposition to Hugh... I really examine what it is I'm saying and if I should be saying it. He's had me reverse course at least once and in my estimation, he's probably the most balanced individual on this forum. I don't always agree with him or think he's correct, but I respect where he's at and how he's come to where he's at more often than not. So... something to think about at the least.

Hugh... don't puff your plume out too proudly. You have your moments too.
    Just as I thought- you can't come up with any specific comment I made that was disparaging to any particular individual.

But we know you are better. It's quite clear that you don't take personal stabs at others. It is clear a day that your "even though you slip in fast food restaurants with your hippy sandals" was intended as a compliment to me. Hey man, nicely done there. Thank you so very much. Thank you for such wonderful empathy regarding that accident. I can't tell you how cool it is to still, to this day to be experiencing these trippy headaches and groovy migraines ever since that accident that gave me a concussion! Far out! They're better than LSD. They're so far out ma-a-a--a-a-a-n.

Oh, and just so your next little personal jab is more accurate, I don't wear sandals and I'm not a hippy.
    brian, I believe the comment he's referring to is the one that you made about us "being obsessed with killing" or whatever it was, that you later admitted was worded incorrectly, etc.

let's hit the lounge car! LOL

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Fail.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

And I totally admitted that was a poor choice of words. God damn it fucking hot under the microscope. But I never took any personal jabs.

Thanks for the invite but, please excuse me, I need to go break things.

I know you did. I mentioned that. I felt it was personal. Apparently I wasn't the only one. But it's done, it's over. it's all good brian. at least on my end.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Fail.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

dignin said:

Ditto for me also Dig.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

OK, just to clarify. The "shut this fucker" down thing was a double entendre: shut down my computer/ shut down this thread. What did gimme say about beating these dead horse threads? But what the hey, carry on.

hedonist said:

Why should this be shut down? And why now? I've been singled out here and there in a weird way but would never consider it bullying nor worthy of stifling the conversation.

I realize that. We've all been targets. It's become a shooting match. I don't really care if this thread goes on... but I kinda doubt it will if it stays too personal.

brianlux said:

Wow this thread... when the bullying posturing starts up it's time to shut this fucker down.

I will duly and sincerely apologize for anything thing I have said specifically to any individual here that can be characterized as a personal attack. Please, show me where.

Come on, man.

Comments made to a specific person... perhaps not. Comments directed towards a specific mindset... definitely. The people with that mindset understood what you succinctly implied.

You took a few shots. They weren't lost on anyone. It doesn't matter. This topic has been exhausted from my perspective. I think we all know where we all stand and fair enough... we don't have to agree. You are exceptional (even though you slip in fast food restaurants with your hippy sandals).

I would say, for the record, that whenever I find myself in opposition to Hugh... I really examine what it is I'm saying and if I should be saying it. He's had me reverse course at least once and in my estimation, he's probably the most balanced individual on this forum. I don't always agree with him or think he's correct, but I respect where he's at and how he's come to where he's at more often than not. So... something to think about at the least.

Just as I thought- you can't come up with any specific comment I made that was disparaging to any particular individual.

But we know you are better. It's quite clear that you don't take personal stabs at others. It is clear a day that your "even though you slip in fast food restaurants with your hippy sandals" was intended as a compliment to me. Hey man, nicely done there. Thank you so very much. Thank you for such wonderful empathy regarding that accident. I can't tell you how cool it is to still, to this day to be experiencing these trippy headaches and groovy migraines ever since that accident that gave me a concussion! Far out! They're better than LSD. They're so far out ma-a-a--a-a-a-n.

Oh, and just so your next little personal jab is more accurate, I don't wear sandals and I'm not a hippy.
    You sound like Tomlinson from Randy Wayne Whites Doc Ford Novels.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Come on, man.

Wow Brian.

I'm not sure how such a comment could ever be construed as an effort towards paying somebody a compliment? You and I shared a chuckle over that incident a period of time ago. I offered it as levity assuming that could take us to a happier place.

I'll leave you alone. Sorry.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    And just for the record, Brian... I said you have made 'inflammatory' things.

Meaning: you wrote some things that had the effect of riling a few people up. I didn't particularly care for some things you wrote. I know Hedo never did. Hugh just expressed the same. I'm not sure how writing such was met with a challenge to find where you made a comment directed at a specific individual.

And again... it's a mountain from a mole hill. I might not have cared for your words, but I never stopped caring for the person that wrote them. This is all the love I have today, Brian. If you still think I'm a prick, there's nothing more I can do.
  • Options

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Come on, man.

yes, I absolutely have had my moments. I will readily admit that.

Nobody said you wouldn't. There was a pretty significant compliment in there as well, Hugh.

I seriously need to work on either my writing skills or my personality. Or, I need to not write anything after having red wine. There is obviously a major malfunction with this private.
  • Options

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Come on, man.

yes, I absolutely have had my moments. I will readily admit that.

Nobody said you wouldn't. There was a pretty significant compliment in there as well, Hugh.

I seriously need to work on either my writing skills or my personality. Or, I need to not write anything after having red wine. There is obviously a major malfunction with this private.
    I appreciated that compliment, 30. I just don't take compliments well (fault of mine), so that's why I didn't really address it. But it's appreciated.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Fail.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    ok goodnight then

https://youtu.be/p3SemYQH-8o
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    This is a bizarre thread.
    Kudos to all.
    Great seeing the passion.Isnt that what's so great about our little community?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Thanks Hedo and rr. I would also like to hear what you guys think of the links when you get the time to hear them. Great to listen to while doing the dishes or cleaning up.
  • Options
    Dig,While working away this evening I put on the podcast.I made it thru an hour.If there is more I will have to go back and listen.
    It was an interesting look behind the curtain.Although I'm not sure any new ground was covered,or at least new opinions formed.I did feel as though I took away a deeper understanding of the importance of "Community" policing.
    I thought some of the Ideas the Cheif implemented were very creative and common sense based.
    I did like the new perspective the cop who worked the graveyard shift had when he transferred to 2nd shift.Some new thinking could be gained from some stuff like that.
    Thank you for taking the time to post the link.

I still believe regardless of race anyone who makes a threatening move toward an officer and or their weapon,will have to deal with the consequences.Regardless of the bigger picture of why that individual was interacting with the police in the first place.

• Options
    Unrelated observation.I saw a heartwarming clip of a white officer in Louisville KY, come to the aid of a Black woman who was running in a marathon after loosing 225 lbs the year prior.
    The woman had a goal to run and finish this race.She was with her young son.She gave it a good go but her body started to quit on her in the the tail end.She was ready to quit when this white cop who she calls her Angel,saw her giving it her all but no way to finish ,so he dropped his stuff ran to her,put her arm around her and said he would help her finish.And they did.He held her up and encouraged her until the finish line.True class and that is the spirit of what's right.

http://www.brobible.com/life/article/cop-helps-woman-cross-finish-line-marathon/

Click on link just look at the picture.You See BSL it's not all broken and cops aren't the evil gastapo you imply.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    rr165892 said:

Unrelated observation.I saw a heartwarming clip of a white officer in Louisville KY, come to the aid of a Black woman who was running in a marathon after loosing 225 lbs the year prior.
    The woman had a goal to run and finish this race.She was with her young son.She gave it a good go but her body started to quit on her in the the tail end.She was ready to quit when this white cop who she calls her Angel,saw her giving it her all but no way to finish ,so he dropped his stuff ran to her,put her arm around her and said he would help her finish.And they did.He held her up and encouraged her until the finish line.True class and that is the spirit of what's right.

http://www.brobible.com/life/article/cop-helps-woman-cross-finish-line-marathon/

Click on link just look at the picture.You See BSL it's not all broken and cops aren't the evil gastapo you imply.

I saw that as well. They were interviewed on CNN. A little cheesy, but a good deed.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Fail

• Options
    brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

I saw that as well. They were interviewed on CNN. A little cheesy, but a good deed.
    Who doesn't love these stories! They are truly wonderful and inspiring. But I have to say this too (I'm sorry, I can't help it, but this question does come to mind) I also sometimes get the feeling that these stories are used to sugar coat things. I really want to be wrong about that. And really, isn't the truth somewhere between all evil gestapo and warm and fuzzy? And toward which end of this spectrum are we moving?

No Bri,the question is which way do You want to go? I choose to go toward warm and fuzzy.That glass half full shit dosent get us closer to moving the conversation in a positive way.

Ps- sorry you are dealing with those headaches.They are a fucking bitch.Quick healing hopefully for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Fail

• Options
    brianlux said:

I actually do believe that the most realistic picture is the most positive. I personally feel like we have a chance to make positive changes when we see things from reality, from seeing things for what they are. I'm not afraid of the truth.

And I'm not saying those warm and fuzzy stories aren't sweet in their own right, but that's a side topic. That doesn't change anything about this thread's subject matter.

Maybe we do need a warm and fuzzy thread. A few here including myslef have tried to start positivity type threads in the past. None of them ever got anywhere near the attention all these gun/shooting/cop threads get.

Which begs the question- was my statement about obsession with death and killing so very far off base after all?

Hey thanks for empathy re. headaches. I'm getting good at toughing it out. :smile:

B, yes - I do think it was off-base.

Stories like the one rr posted DO reflect some positive change - it's how these things are chosen to be seen, and appreciated. I'm not a fan of sweetening something for purposes of imagery or hiding the truth, but when something seemingly-genuine happens, I value it. I hope it opens some eyes that these things happen all the time, just no camera or phone around to document it. It's enough for me that it does happen. I'm for that as much as I am for recognizing and chipping away at the uglier side.

And also sorry for the noggin hurting. Headaches are a bitch - pain in general, actually.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Fail.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

Who doesn't love these stories! They are truly wonderful and inspiring. But I have to say this too (I'm sorry, I can't help it, but this question does come to mind) I also sometimes get the feeling that these stories are used to sugar coat things. I really want to be wrong about that. And really, isn't the truth somewhere between all evil gestapo and warm and fuzzy? And toward which end of this spectrum are we moving?

No Bri,the question is which way do You want to go? I choose to go toward warm and fuzzy.That glass half full shit dosent get us closer to moving the conversation in a positive way.

Ps- sorry you are dealing with those headaches.They are a fucking bitch.Quick healing hopefully for you.
    I actually do believe that the most realistic picture is the most positive. I personally feel like we have a chance to make positive changes when we see things from reality, from seeing things for what they are. I'm not afraid of the truth.

And I'm not saying those warm and fuzzy stories aren't sweet in their own right, but that's a side topic. That doesn't change anything about this thread's subject matter.

Maybe we do need a warm and fuzzy thread. A few here including myslef have tried to start positivity type threads in the past. None of them ever got anywhere near the attention all these gun/shooting/cop threads get.

Which begs the question- was my statement about obsession with death and killing so very far off base after all?

Hey thanks for empathy re. headaches. I'm getting good at toughing it out. :smile:

There were, and are, comments made that make me feel the same way Brian.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited March 2015
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

There were, and are, comments made that make me feel the same way Brian.
    For all of you who think I'm all gloom and doom, AGAIN, you're welcome to reread the entire thread. Tell me how many times I have said that all cops aren't bad. But I'll say it one more time. You only read what you want to read, you want to see me as the devil and that's all you see. You live a life not in reality of real issues and problems we face, but the denial of pretending the real world isn't there. That our fantasy worlds are real. Reading only warm and fuzzy police stories keep you in your cocoon, how sweet. Good luck all with that mind frame. You are a delusional group, aside from Brian and Rgambs and anyone else seeing this problem for what it is.

And I fully support Brian's obsession statement. The only reason you guys took it so poorly, is because there is an air of truth in it, and it comes from a friend. So what do you do? Jump on the poor guy. I guess it tells me that you just can't bear the heart of the problem (which is apparent throughout the entire thread). That killing a man, woman, child, is an acceptable and justified punishment by cops. That racism and the police isn't a major problem. You all back it up without fully coming out and admitting it. And Brian just happened to hit the nail on the head causing chaos.

I am done here, it's not a fair and open minded debating place. Good luck everyone.

Peace.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    Here come da judge!

There's a difference between calling someone on a comment - as is done here regularly and typically without rancor (gasp!) - and "jumping on" someone. Maybe there's some denial on your part as well, given the sweeping accusations and declarations of how those who disagree with you live in a ridiculous fantasy world.

"Peace" indeed.
  • Options
    Oh and Dignin, I listened to about 15 or so minutes or the 1st link and you're right, it is very good. What I find astounding is that police really don't see how they are treating minorities differently. Kinda how many here think that there is no police/minority problem. It's great to hear that their eyes open when taking the 2nd shift rather than the 3rd and see the families, see how people really live.