Options

The Global Citizen Festival 2015

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

how did Beyonce get to play 16 songs though and Pearl Jam only 12?

Because PJ shows are usually a sausage fest and most guys can tune out Bey's music and just watch her shake her boo-tay.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options

She doesn't play the full versions of her songs. They are like 2-3 minutes each at the most.
  • Options
    Great time in NYC!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291

best guess is PJ cut their set down because show was running late. they sure seemed to soundcheck at least 2 or 3 songs yesterday that weren't played tonight.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,255

She doesn't play the full versions of her songs. They are like 2-3 minutes each at the most.
    oh, i didn't even watch her set. Just saw on setlist.fm what she played.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited September 2015
    FoxyRedLa said:

Ok. So PJ did start on time? So we didn't get live feed? And I screwed up and should have watched it on Youtube!?? DAMN! I watched Ed and Beyonce and they did not have commercial breaks. Everyone could tell when PJ came on MSNBC it wasn't quite right. Especially waiting that long that was a huge red flag.

https://youtu.be/YAPukIWbYU0?t=2h51m19s

It starts at the 2h51m19s mark
    Post edited by Longueuil on
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191

Every song is not the same length. I thought it was a decent set. It seemed that Beyonce was on for about an hour and Pearl Jam was onstage longer than that.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    pjhawks said:

they sure seemed to soundcheck at least 2 or 3 songs yesterday that weren't played tonight.

Soundchecking a song isn't a guarantee that they plan to play it at the show.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    NeilJam said:

pjhawks said:

they sure seemed to soundcheck at least 2 or 3 songs yesterday that weren't played tonight.

Soundchecking a song isn't a guarantee that they plan to play it at the show.
    i understand that but seemed like 12 songs was kind of short when people were originally talking about a hour and 45 minutes. and surprised they didn't play sirens. either way would have been nice to get more than the 6 or 7 songs on MSNBC but oh well.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,098
    Why were so many people watching MSNBC when the official glblctzn.me link to us straight to youtube? Yeah, would have been nice to know there was gonna be a delay so I could go off and do laundry or whatever - it's not like they made us sit through 45 more minutes of advocacy, it was just musical highlights - but I'm glad we got the full gig eventually. Sure looked like e landmark show.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Right before Imagine - Eddie said to Stone - 'dropped it' - which may have been a song he asked about. Still not sure why there was such a delay - you could hear them tuning their guitars when Hugh Jackman was introducing people to discuss the global goals. So they were backstage, but didn't start playing for what seemed like almost an hour.

Imagine and Redemption Song really captured the spirit of the festival. Was very emotional - invoking Lennon, Marley and Mandela.

Also, out of 16 shows, I think today was the best Eddie sounded on "Alive" that I've ever seen in my shows

I agree that Eddie, and all the guys, were really on tonight. Loved how he sounded for the acoustic songs.

• Options

a5pj said:

Was that bill Nye the science guy?

Hell yeah, fanning stone and mikes guitars during their solos, dancing like a science center guy haha
    Bill Nye "The Pearl Jam Guy"

ok i stole that from someone else :lol:
    I loved watching Bill Nye!! He was singing with Eddie in the beginning and then was doing his adorably goofy dance watching Ed. Methinks Bill is a PJ fan.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Am I the only one here who thinks they sounded off? Seriously asking because they didn't sound THAT great.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    badbrains said:

Am I the only one here who thinks they sounded off? Seriously asking because they didn't sound THAT great.

Some of the best versions I have heard in a long time. Best webcast I have ever heard.

Maybe your PC speakers stink. :)
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    A bit of a surprise but ... I absolutely love this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9sIGpnpZeU

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Smellyman said:

badbrains said:

Some of the best versions I have heard in a long time. Best webcast I have ever heard.

Maybe your PC speakers stink. :)
    Watched it on tv, new TV. And others I know said the same thing. Just felt like they were off, even thought during LB that each member was playing a diff song. And vedder def sounded like he tried to hard to change up some of the songs the way he sang them. Just saying.
  • Options
    njnancy said:

Right before Imagine - Eddie said to Stone - 'dropped it' - which may have been a song he asked about. Still not sure why there was such a delay - you could hear them tuning their guitars when Hugh Jackman was introducing people to discuss the global goals. So they were backstage, but didn't start playing for what seemed like almost an hour.

Imagine and Redemption Song really captured the spirit of the festival. Was very emotional - invoking Lennon, Marley and Mandela.

Also, out of 16 shows, I think today was the best Eddie sounded on "Alive" that I've ever seen in my shows

I agree that Eddie, and all the guys, were really on tonight. Loved how he sounded for the acoustic songs.

The "dropped it" line was Stone asking "drop D?" to get the tuning right.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • Options
    thank you, that makes sense.
  • Options
    E.K said:

A bit of a surprise but ... I absolutely love this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9sIGpnpZeU

Agreed.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

Ariana Grande LOOOOL. Is this Coldplay thing serious?

The duet was lovely. Did you actually hear it? I enjoyed it very much and am not a fan of either.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    KC138045 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't like her music (besides that put a ring on it song, obviously, lol!), but Beyoncé is talented. She doesn't suck, she's just not for everyone.

No she sucks. So does Sheeran. Time for PJ to get on stage to show them what real music is.
    Neither of them suck. I thought both their sets were great. I'm not into their music but thoroughly enjoyed today.

If you're not aware, Ed Sheeran is on stage by himself and looping stuff on the guitar. He sold out 3 shows at Wembley, 90,000 capacity. It takes a lot of guts to be onstage by yourself and be able to entertain, all on your own, with just a guitar and loop pedals. You may not enjoy his music but you have to respect that.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, and PJ were great. Actually thought Beyoncés set was less appropriate for my kids than the PJ set.

Agree with Suziemay... Ed Sheeran is very good musician, rocks it all by himself, and my 4 and 5 yo kids dig his stuff (and PJ by default cause I'm obsessed).
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options

Get ready for Bono on rockin in the free world

I was so hoping for this.. he only talked for three minutes and that's it. Would've been cool...
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,990
    On such a global stage the boys really brought it. Loved every minute of that sat in bed this morning watching on my iPad. Redemption Song was awesome too, great to see Beyoncé joining in. Stone's solos too. Thanks PJ, positive start to the day.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    so um is there youtube global citizen of just pj lastnight dont think i could watch it all just pj in my spare time
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    I dig global citizen and all..

But I'm happy I didn't make an effort to go to this.

I thought the Web cast was cool. The highlight was definitely redemption song
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,948
    Reading some of the comments on facebook posts shows why PJ fans are seen as some of the douchiest fans out there. I know (hope) it's a very small percentage, but sweet Jesus. It's embarrassing.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,669
    Hit the road right after the show and just heard the rebroadcast of the set on PJ radio. I have to say the audio from the broadcast sounds much better than the audio mixed in my general direction in VIP2. The mix was just terrible, and from where I was positioned the band sounded awful until Given To Fly and even afterwards there were iffy moments here and there. The grand lawn is definitely not conducive to the type of live audio mixing we've come to expect from the band and it certainly isn't the band's and/or crew's fault. Just a shame.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited September 2015

Reading some of the comments on facebook posts shows why PJ fans are seen as some of the douchiest fans out there. I know (hope) it's a very small percentage, but sweet Jesus. It's embarrassing.

I'm gonna get crucified for this, but I swear to God, if one more person asks me what the first 3 digits of my 10c membership are, or how many shows this is for me, and thumbs their nose at the fact that I have absolutely no idea what the answer to either of those questions are I'm gonna vomit.

I have less than any interest in knowing or discussing what is certainly a very high 10c membership number. I only felt like joining recently. I don't keep track of how many shows I go to either. For one, I went to at least 2 or 3 way back in the day when I was young and stupid and had no idea that in 20 years this would wind up basically being the sole remaining intact band that I would love seeing more than anyone else. Like every 17-18 year old I had a million 'favorite bands' in high school. To tell some of the die hards that I've been to 'like 13 or 14 shows or something', and see that , 'Ummmm, so you don't know the exact number of shows you've seen? Pfft...'' look.... just urgh. It turns my stomach. It's like I don't deserve to even see them if I don't track every show I've seen or something.

I get how a lot of people take it all very seriously, and good for them. The eye rolls for the people that don't however are just hard to handle. To each their own.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

Ariana Grande LOOOOL. Is this Coldplay thing serious?

The duet was lovely. Did you actually hear it? I enjoyed it very much and am not a fan of either.
    No, I didn't hear it. I take my words back 100%. Liked to song. Sorry. It's just all of those 15 years old love her. Her audience doesn't go much further then 15+. But she did sing good and it was a good song alltogether.