Options

Irritating Office Behavior

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I like knocking people off their high horse. Let me work for her for a week; she will be the one crying.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    ^^^ :lol: it doesn't take much for her to cry...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    RKCNDY said:

People who force friendships...

It was the only way I could get you to be my friend. :cow:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    RKCNDY said:

She never really let me answer, she went off on how I never answer my phone on my day off and made me agree to answer my phone 'at a pre-determined time'.

Sounds like this is really going down the wrong road..... Get out while you can. She has no right to ask you to answer your phone on your day off, or to provide personal info.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

RKCNDY said:

People who force friendships...

It was the only way I could get you to be my friend. :cow:
    there was no forcing in this one! :heart:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    RK, your boss sounds like she's about 15 emotionally. I can't understand employers who want to get into your private life that much. I'd have probably bailed a long time ago.

My current office irritation: People who come to work and sleep. Every day. And act like you're rude when you unintentionally wake them up in the normal course of doing your work.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I can't even imagine a job where that's possible. ^^
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited October 2015

RK, your boss sounds like she's about 15 emotionally. I can't understand employers who want to get into your private life that much. I'd have probably bailed a long time ago.

My current office irritation: People who come to work and sleep. Every day. And act like you're rude when you unintentionally wake them up in the normal course of doing your work.

It kind of sounds like she figured out what she wanted in an assistant by watching Entourage.

Re the sleep thing.... You mean they sleep when they should be working?? Where are they sleeping? My office does have a little room with a bed in it so that people can take naps, but they would only go for a nap during their own time, i.e. on their lunch break.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Re the sleep thing.... You mean they sleep when they should be working?? Where are they sleeping? My office does have a little room with a bed in it so that people can take naps, but they would only go for a nap during their own time, i.e. on their lunch break.

At their cube. When a supervisor isn't around. To respond to Ident, I wouldn't have imagined it either. I guess it's pointless to wonder if they've ever heard of the concept of work ethic or even owing your employer 8 hours of work a day.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

PJ_Soul said:

At their cube. When a supervisor isn't around. To respond to Ident, I wouldn't have imagined it either. I guess it's pointless to wonder if they've ever heard of the concept of work ethic or even owing your employer 8 hours of work a day.
    And I mean how disrespectful is that to the rest of your coworkers too!?! Even if you work 100% independently where no one is picking up anyone else's slack, it's still unbelievably rude.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

And I mean how disrespectful is that to the rest of your coworkers too!?! Even if you work 100% independently where no one is picking up anyone else's slack, it's still unbelievably rude.
    It is pretty fucked up. I knew that perhaps some people might close the door to their own office and put their heads down if they are just dying of tired, but I have never heard of people doing it out in the open in their cubicals where other people can see them, lol. That is a bold move, haha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

It absolutely boggles my mind. And I feel like such an old fart saying so, but it's very young employees doing it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

ldent42 said:

It absolutely boggles my mind. And I feel like such an old fart saying so, but it's very young employees doing it.
    Generation Me is incredibly lazy and self-serving.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208

ldent42 said:

sleeping at their desks really? that's crazy. what the hell is wrong with people? i sometimes (only sometimes) feel bad for surfing the net during work hours but I only do that when we are not really busy (and it's a trade off since sometimes we are super busy and have to work up to like 12 hours a day). i wonder how people get like that.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

ldent42 said:

I'm not sure that's fair. There are several people that age in my office, and they are all really great employees. Sounds to me more like the person doing the hiring is the one with the real problem. There are plenty of young people out there who aren't like that. WP's boss just doesn't seem to know how to tell the difference.
  • Options
    To be fair, we have other young, just out of college employees who are hard workers. Most of the people in my department are much younger than I am.

Everybody has a day occasionally when they didn't sleep well the night before, or they're not feeling well and it might be hard to stay awake. It's just weird to me to see someone come to work and sleep. If you don't have enough work, ask somebody for something to do. It just seems to be a different perspective.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

I'm not sure that's fair. There are several people that age in my office, and they are all really great employees. Sounds to me more like the person doing the hiring is the one with the real problem. There are plenty of young people out there who aren't like that. WP's boss just doesn't seem to know how to tell the difference.
    well of course it's just a mass generalization, but the point is, this current generation has been brought up having a lot of things in life done for them by their parents (the helicopter parents). are every single one of them like this? of course not. but my wife hires a lot from this generation, some are great, but she finds many are just clueless that the boss's job is not to accomodate their every whim. she has actually dealt with parents of employees calling her to set up doctor appointments for time off, etc. my HR department has dealt with parents asking if they can attend the interview, etc. it's bizarre.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Yes, she

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options

To be fair, we have other young, just out of college employees who are hard workers. Most of the people in my department are much younger than I am.

Everybody has a day occasionally when they didn't sleep well the night before, or they're not feeling well and it might be hard to stay awake. It's just weird to me to see someone come to work and sleep. If you don't have enough work, ask somebody for something to do. It just seems to be a different perspective.

part of the issue, I find, as well is that it is so difficult to fire people these days without fearing a lawsuit, so people get away with so much more and seem to think it is their right to do so.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

yes, she's had a few meltdowns/temper tantrums. I am hoping she mellows out now that there is another person there. I stick around because doubt I could find another job that pays as well and is as flexible.

I've been treated worse.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

yes, she's had a few meltdowns/temper tantrums. I am hoping she mellows out now that there is another person there. I stick around because doubt I could find another job that pays as well and is as flexible.

I've been treated worse.
    she reminds me of Rachel's boss from Friends. the one who got hit by a truck and died (and dated Chandler).
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RKCNDY said:

I've been treated worse.
    Having that perspective is helpful. After some of the bosses/work situations I've had, I can roll with most things.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

well of course it's just a mass generalization, but the point is, this current generation has been brought up having a lot of things in life done for them by their parents (the helicopter parents). are every single one of them like this? of course not. but my wife hires a lot from this generation, some are great, but she finds many are just clueless that the boss's job is not to accomodate their every whim. she has actually dealt with parents of employees calling her to set up doctor appointments for time off, etc. my HR department has dealt with parents asking if they can attend the interview, etc. it's bizarre.

Well for sure. I work at a university, so deal with people of this age daily, and have for years, so it's been interesting to see how people have changed over the years, and it is definitely the relationship with their parents that is the most obvious thing (second is that they seem to think that rules don't apply to them). The parents are definitely generally more involved until an older age now, which I think is ridiculous. Shame on the parents. I think my point was more that yes, there are plenty of young people who have been rendered fairly useless by their dumb-ass parents now, but that doesn't mean people have to hire them. Somehow, employers need to figure out ways to distinguish between the ones who think it's reasonable to nap at their desk and have their mommies bring their lunch to them at work, and the ones who are self-sufficient and responsible. There are enough of the second group for a savvy hiring manager to be able to pick and choose.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Well for sure. I work at a university, so deal with people of this age daily, and have for years, so it's been interesting to see how people have changed over the years, and it is definitely the relationship with their parents that is the most obvious thing (second is that they seem to think that rules don't apply to them). The parents are definitely generally more involved until an older age now, which I think is ridiculous. Shame on the parents. I think my point was more that yes, there are plenty of young people who have been rendered fairly useless by their dumb-ass parents now, but that doesn't mean people have to hire them. Somehow, employers need to figure out ways to distinguish between the ones who think it's reasonable to nap at their desk and have their mommies bring their lunch to them at work, and the ones who are self-sufficient and responsible. There are enough of the second group for a savvy hiring manager to be able to pick and choose.
    not necessarily. in certain industries, good help is indeed hard to come by.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

So at least hire shitty employees over the age of 30 to avoid these particular issues? All I see happening now is managers hiring these young wusses and actually bending to their way of thinking. These people wouldn't act like that if the managers found a way to make it impossible. But instead, there are now courses on how managers can learn how to coddle these people. Not kidding. It's insane.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Agree with this, though the industry I'm in (real estate) just requires some smarts, basic skills, and a willingness to learn and pay some dues in the process.

Having an applicant's parent get involved would be a HUGE red flag for me. Glad I'm not in charge of hiring here. We've gone through a few so far who just didn't want or were unable to get it.

Shit, I went to my first interview at 17 and nailed it.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

So at least hire shitty employees over the age of 30 to avoid these particular issues? All I see happening now is managers hiring these young wusses and actually bending to their way of thinking. These people wouldn't act like that if the managers found a way to make it impossible. But instead, there are now courses on how managers can learn how to coddle these people. Not kidding. It's insane.
    my wife doesn't bend to them if they turn out to be that way. she gets rid of them.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

my wife doesn't bend to them if they turn out to be that way. she gets rid of them.

Okay. Same diff then. Don't hire them or fire them.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    We went through 5 people in our office to fill a job. One was so bad but my boss knew her father and didn't want to fire her. Out of a year she came to work on time 3 mornings, in a YEAR. She sucked at the job and did not get along with any of us. She didn't show up to our holiday dinner near Christmas and he told us he was finally getting rid of her. It was the best Christmas present I got last year!!!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    Notices of a cancelled meeting at a time when most people in the meeting are already on their way!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17