Irritating Office Behavior

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565

RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

Is your boss the owner of the company?

Yes.

OK. I was thinking that if it was a manager with access to a corporate credit card they're walking a fine line with having the company buy them supplies for home. I know some places that would fire a person on the spot for abusing a corporate card. Her being the owner changes things though.
    So should I quit my bitching? I was hungry, and really wanted the pita chips. We're not supposed to eat any of her food without asking first. I suppose if she just told me she ate them it would have been fine, then I would know to buy more. She's supposed to tell me what she needs me to buy for her/office.
    No, you don't have to quit. I think it's poor form for your boss to have you buy stuff with the company card and then not have it available to anyone in the company besides her. If it's for your boss only, she should be getting it herself imo.
    I agree. Basically, she's getting you to do her personal shopping for her. Next thing you know she'll be asking you to pick up her dry cleaning and to buy a gift for her nephew's birthday party.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

Is your boss the owner of the company?

Yes.

OK. I was thinking that if it was a manager with access to a corporate credit card they're walking a fine line with having the company buy them supplies for home. I know some places that would fire a person on the spot for abusing a corporate card. Her being the owner changes things though.
    So should I quit my bitching? I was hungry, and really wanted the pita chips. We're not supposed to eat any of her food without asking first. I suppose if she just told me she ate them it would have been fine, then I would know to buy more. She's supposed to tell me what she needs me to buy for her/office.
    No, you don't have to quit. I think it's poor form for your boss to have you buy stuff with the company card and then not have it available to anyone in the company besides her. If it's for your boss only, she should be getting it herself imo.
    I agree. Basically, she's getting you to do her personal shopping for her. Next thing you know she'll be asking you to pick up her dry cleaning and to buy a gift for her nephew's birthday party.
    Technically I am her 'personal assistant' (but currently running the office part time), she does ask me to get some things for her when she needs them. So I do ask her regularly if she needs anything so I can get it for her.
    I have a corporate card and a personal card, so she did tell me, "get groceries for lunch with your corporate card, whatever you like to eat for lunch" so I asked her if I could get coffee too and she said 'yes'...so I got coffee, sugar, sparkling water, hummus and pita chips. She ate all my pita chips and took my coffee to her condo, I was in a grumpier mood when I couldn't find my coffee.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,741
    Why oh why does IT personnel persist in exemplifying their image as the laziest dumbest *expletive* on the planet.
    Do not send out an email containing "facts" about one of my site departments unless they are actually true. You are aware you just put this in writing right. So even if I wasn't on the original recipients list I can still read it when it is sent to me.
    I mean for the love, my site Dept. Head, myself and my Dept. have been trying to get this set up for over 6 months. Don't send out bogus emails because you have screwed the pooch over and over again with regards to this matter.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    When someone consolidates your work with the rest of the team's work, but copies without keeping the source formatting, so then you are made to look like the idiot because your comment doesn't make sense without the source formatting kept in tact....
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    The amount of laziness around me at work drives me up a fucking wall. Look, I don't want to be here just as much as you don't, but here we are, so we may as well do our jobs. Instead of fucking socializing all day, taking "breaks" in between your actual breaks, making a trip out to warehouse bathroom when the office bathroom is 30 feet away, etc, just do some fucking work.
    My job depends on my coworkers doing their jobs, and everyone fucks off all day long then suddenly want to get a days worth of work in from 330-500 making the end of my day completely fucking miserable every god damn day.
  • Options
    My boss called me yesterday...trying to guilt me into coming in today. Last week she told me to take this entire week off while she's at a convention...

her, "so, I don't know what's going on with the other office girl, so maybe you should come in for a few hours..."
    me, "uh, I have plans already"
    her, "oh you have plans already?"
    me, "yeah, I have plans..." I plan on not coming into work tomorrow...
    her, "oh, ok, well if you have plans, then come in early on Monday"
    me, "ok, see you then"

I should feel bad, but I don't...if I go in 'for a few hours', it will turn into a 9 hour day.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    I don't wok in an office but I do work with some real (male) bitches.

"leslie!!!! (gay boss), Rob didn't/did blah blah blah"
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    RKCNDY said:

My boss called me yesterday...trying to guilt me into coming in today. Last week she told me to take this entire week off while she's at a convention...

her, "so, I don't know what's going on with the other office girl, so maybe you should come in for a few hours..."
    me, "uh, I have plans already"
    her, "oh you have plans already?"
    me, "yeah, I have plans..." I plan on not coming into work tomorrow...
    her, "oh, ok, well if you have plans, then come in early on Monday"
    me, "ok, see you then"

I should feel bad, but I don't...if I go in 'for a few hours', it will turn into a 9 hour day.

You shouldn't feel bad at all, so it's good you don't.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    People who don't bother coming in to work or even call to say they can't make it in.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,741
    Is this the one you are looking for RK?
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    yes! thank-you!

I stayed late yesterday...worked 8 hours straight with no break. Today my boss just keeps coming up with stuff for me to do, and she has me sit on the phone while she's at home and logs into my computer and looks over the email box, "what are you going to do with this email? how are you going to respond?" "what's this? have you taken care of this?" "ok, this is important, write this down, this is how I want you to answer this person, write this down, are you writing this down?"

I *have* to write it all down, because then she comes in, "where is everything I told you to write down?" Then she asks me, "why haven't you got this done?" uhhh...because you had me sit on the phone with you for an hour while I had to go through each and every email with you...you do realize if I quit, you'd have nobody to do anything for you and you couldn't run your own company because you refuse to learn how your company is run...I've been here for 5 months now, I think I can handle the office.

there is so much more...sooooooooo much more.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    This one supervisor just can't do his job right and it is really annoying as hell...he's lazy and it shows and the drivers know it and he's nonchalant about his job and it's pathetic, and i just don't get why he hasn't been fired yet....it's not fair to the drivers who have him as a team leader, it's not fair to the other supervisors who have to pick up his slack, and it's not fair to me who also has to pick up his slack....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited August 2015
    Our company is nice enough to bring in lunch to celebrate birthdays each month.

Without fail, our accounting department descends on the food within a minute. OK, fine. Maybe working with numbers makes one extra-hungry. However, afterward they squirrel away the good amount of leftovers, leaving nothing for anyone else. They even did it with my b'day lunch stuff last month when I thought I maybe might bring home dinner for my guy and me.

Nothing left. They do this EVERY FUCKING MONTH.

Obviously not the end of the world, but irritating as hell!

(I may have posted about this before but it happened again today. Argh :pirate: )
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

I sent someone an email today with instructions on what needed to be done, the date it needed to be done for, and the file number. She emails back with "sure, I can do that for you. I'll just need the date you need it by and the file number".

?? So you stopped reading after the first six words or so and just blatted back a reply?

a girl I used to work with was like that. She was always asking questions that was verbatim in the original email. I once replied with "SCROLL DOWN" and highlighted the part she didn't fucking read. She replied "thanks a lot.....was that necessary?".

Obviously, it was.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonist said:

Without fail, our accounting department descends on the food within a minute. OK, fine. Maybe working with numbers makes one extra-hungry. However, afterward they squirrel away the good amount of leftovers, leaving nothing for anyone else. They even did it with my b'day lunch stuff last month when I thought I maybe might bring home dinner for my guy and me.

(I may have posted about this before but it happened again today. Argh :pirate: )

as an accounting professional, I can tell you, working with numbers does not make one extra hungry. it makes one extra thirsty.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

hedonist said:

as an accounting professional, I can tell you, working with numbers does not make one extra hungry. it makes one extra thirsty.

Ha! My husband is in your field as well and would likely agree (though he doesn't even drink).
  • Options

hedonist said:

:lol: I know that my drunkest week nights are definitely the ones that follow a day of reconciling and book balancing, lol.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Finding out about a management change through the grapevine before finding it out through my supervisor....
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Came in this morning to discover my ENTIRE huge block of sticky notes on another person's desk in my office....it's one thing that they use them...I understand that and don't care...but don't effing take them off my desk and not put them back, that shit pisses me off!!!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    The weird guy in my office who loves women with big biceps eats with his mouth open. And talks while eating.

I guess it's not so much irritating as it is disgusting (moreso in the morning when I'm just trying to put a schmear of cream cheese on my goddamn bagel).
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    hedonist said:

The weird guy in my office who loves women with big biceps eats with his mouth open. And talks while eating.

I guess it's not so much irritating as it is disgusting (moreso in the morning when I'm just trying to put a schmear of cream cheese on my goddamn bagel).

there are few things on earth more irritating than people who chew loudly/with their mouth open/while talking
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

there are few things on earth more irritating than people who chew loudly/with their mouth open/while talking
    I once flipped out on a friend of mine at work. He was smacking his entire mouth, eating like a bloody cow. I finally had enough and said "TREVOR! CLOSE YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU CHEW!". he looked at me like I was an alien. but it's fucking gross.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2015

ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

I once flipped out on a friend of mine at work. He was smacking his entire mouth, eating like a bloody cow. I finally had enough and said "TREVOR! CLOSE YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU CHEW!". he looked at me like I was an alien. but it's fucking gross.

I had to call out a friend who does this in public not too long ago. It was really awkward and his feelings were hurt I think, but it simply HAD to be said. It was so that I couldn't even eat with him because it was making me sick to my stomach, and it was extremely embarrassing too, since others in the restaurants can see and hear it ..... The brutal thing is that calling him out once wasn't enough. I had to call him out a again some time later. And even more brutal, he STILL does it at least half the time!! I guess eating with an open mouth and slurping and loudly sucking on fingers, etc etc can be an actual habit for some people, like nail biting, and habits can be hard to break. All I know for sure is that both his mother and his wife seriously dropped the ball.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    RKCNDY said:

People who don't bother coming in to work or even call to say they can't make it in.

This happened to me today actually. Unacceptable.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

I had to call out a friend who does this in public not too long ago. It was really awkward and his feelings were hurt I think, but it simply HAD to be said. It was so that I couldn't even eat with him because it was making me sick to my stomach, and it was extremely embarrassing too, since others in the restaurants can see and hear it ..... The brutal thing is that calling him out once wasn't enough. I had to call him out a again some time later. And even more brutal, he STILL does it at least half the time!! I guess eating with an open mouth and slurping and loudly sucking on fingers, etc etc can be an actual habit for some people, like nail biting, and habits can be hard to break. All I know for sure is that both his mother and his wife seriously dropped the ball.
    I've done that too. But I'm rude about it. cuz I'm kind of a jerk. But I'm also a giant hypocrite cuz I chew gum like a cow.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

I've done that too. But I'm rude about it. cuz I'm kind of a jerk. But I'm also a giant hypocrite cuz I chew gum like a cow.
    Really? Why do you do that?? :lol:
  • Options
    Environment bro.
    But then I'll catch myself doing it and consciously stop.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    People who constantly take conference calls at their desks. Get off your lazy ass and go to a conference room!
  • Options
    people who call to 'ask for a few questions' and eat while rambling on and on about work...for over half an hour.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ^^^and it's your day off.

- Christopher McCandless