Options

Irritating Office Behavior

Comments

• Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    edited November 2015
    Sprunkn7 said:

My coworker (and friend) eats Chobani yogurt everyday. To me it smells...bad. I can smell it when she opens it and I'm all the way down the hall....That means a good 1/2 hour till I go near her desk. Any other Greek yogurt, fine fine fine...Chobani peeeeee uuuuu.

I agree with you, a guy that I worked with lit up his whole office with blueberry Chobani. It did smell sour, but he least he didn't expel flatulence, drink out of my tea or cut his finger nails. Before people could be sneaky at work and text from their phone to their friends without anyone hearing, my coworker talked on the phone when our boss went to meetings and I could hear her obnoxious laugh....then we had to share an office and I had to hear it from 2 feet away.
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

People who force friendships...

Or try to. ;) This is probably one of the very worst of the irritating office behaviours for me because the person often ends up being so fucking awkward about it when you reject their attempts because you're just not feeling it. I can't believe how many new people try to force a friendship. I don't mean being friendly and talking and enjoying working with one another (I'm pretty social at work generally). I'm talking being there 3 days and suddenly inviting you to their house to meet their family and have dinner, where they start talking about going on weekend trips together, lol. Too much too soon!!! If you get into that too fast and realize you're just not meant to be friends outside of work, it is SO hard to get out of that relationship. I have actually had to "friend dump" people who I have to continue working with because of their unrelenting quest to be BEST friends by the end of their first week on the job. It's awful.
    and that is my boss...she sat me down for a 'talk'. "You need to open up more to me, you can be a real hard ass about sharing personal information. The other day when I was asking you about what you were doing, it sounded like you were annoyed by my questions, you need to trust me, I want to be your friend, you have all my information, and you can ruin me, you need to be my friend"

uh, WTF am I supposed to say to that? The questions she was asking had nothing to do with her or my job. I don't willy-nilly share personal information because um...IT'S PERSONAL. She had tried to hire a friend of hers to work and they ended up having a huge blowout after the first week her friend worked...I guess she didn't learn anything.
    RKCNDY, you are a very patient woman to work for such a nosey psycho. I'm surprised she's not in trouble for her inappropriate behavior.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    You know what really irritates me... That my coworkers have to be coerced with incentives to do their fucking jobs. Um, shouldn't employment, a paycheck, and benefits be your fucking incentive? Apparently not. We have to do stupid shit like "If you sign up X number of customers for e-billing, you'll get a $25 gift card every month." Uhh, how about if you don't sign up X number of customers, you get a shitty performance review because you're not doing your god damn job, and when it's time for raises you won't get one. THAT SHOULD BE YOUR MOTIFUCKINGVATION TO DO YOUR SHIT.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

You know what really irritates me... That my coworkers have to be coerced with incentives to do their fucking jobs. Um, shouldn't employment, a paycheck, and benefits be your fucking incentive? Apparently not. We have to do stupid shit like "If you sign up X number of customers for e-billing, you'll get a $25 gift card every month." Uhh, how about if you don't sign up X number of customers, you get a shitty performance review because you're not doing your god damn job, and when it's time for raises you won't get one. THAT SHOULD BE YOUR MOTIFUCKINGVATION TO DO YOUR SHIT.

AMEN!

I don't disagree with performance incentives - especially if it encourages competition, ie the employee that signs the most customers for e-billing gets a $100 bonus every quarter! But not this participation trophy crap.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I hate that shit...when I worked at a major department store, we had to get so many people to sign up for the credit card each quarter...some people don't want to. Some people don't want to sign up for the free club card-they get offended when you keep pushing it.

I went to go buy a portable tv once, and the guy kept pushing the credit card, and pushing the extended warranty, I kept telling him 'no, I have the cash to pay for it now, can I get a cash discount?' Pushed the credit card for the 6th time, so I said, 'I don't want the credit card, and now I don't want the tv' and walked away.

At the cell phone company, it was easier...businesses throw money around like it's nothing, really depends on whose call you get. I got one guy that wanted to activate 75 phones and get everybody a car charger, case and headset. I won 'highest accessory sale add-ons' for the month...I didn't even try to sell him anything, "want a car charger? Or headset?" "yeah, gimmie a car charger and headset for everybody...you got cases? I want one of those for everybody too"
    Or sometimes you get the cheap people, they don't want anything, but you still have to ask, it's part of the script we were given.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited November 2015
    ldent42 said:

AMEN!

I don't disagree with performance incentives - especially if it encourages competition, ie the employee that signs the most customers for e-billing gets a $100 bonus every quarter! But not this participation trophy crap.
    From what I've read, monetary and competitive incentives do not actually create better, happier, more inspired employees (creating an atmosphere of competition seems to be more harmful than helpful). Goal oriented initiatives are apparently much more effective. Coaching, mentoring, a professional and personal development, shared accountability, and focusing on strengths rather than weaknesses supposedly works much better when trying to inspire employees to excel.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    If you are given a group of papers that are stapled together and you need to add something to it, why is it soooooooooooooooo fucking difficult to remove the original staple and re-staple everything together as one?

Every. Fucking. Time. I'm handed something with 3 or 4 god damn staples on various pages of a stack, I seriously want to just take all the extraneous staples I remove from the pile and scratch peoples' fucking eyeballs with them. That is the god damn epitome of laziness! It takes ~3 fucking seconds.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277

If you are given a group of papers that are stapled together and you need to add something to it, why is it soooooooooooooooo fucking difficult to remove the original staple and re-staple everything together as one?

Every. Fucking. Time. I'm handed something with 3 or 4 god damn staples on various pages of a stack, I seriously want to just take all the extraneous staples I remove from the pile and scratch peoples' fucking eyeballs with them. That is the god damn epitome of laziness! It takes ~3 fucking seconds.

HAHAHA...

Went to the kitchen for my lunch and there are paper towels on the roll. Just the empty tube. I know who it is,,,laziness!!!!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

I thought I was just being anal about this. there is one department that has usually about 7-10 staples in each pile, all in different sections of the pile (not just the first page) every single time it comes to me. it drives me nuts.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Because someone keeps stealing my staple remover! :wink:
    Sprunkn7 said:

HAHAHA...

Went to the kitchen for my lunch and there are paper towels on the roll. Just the empty tube. I know who it is,,,laziness!!!!
    We had a huge problem with that in the ladies bathroom - someone was leaving the empty toilet paper tube and not bringing in a new roll. It was a small office too, no cleaning staff. Every single woman had to do the penguin shuffle at one point out another to the closetto get TP.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    One of the Docs who I really like can be flat out rude. yesterday I was with a patient scheduling a test. While I was writing the order out she came over my shoulder and said "this needs to be called in" and plopped an open chart (of a different patient) on top of my paper and my hands while I was writing!!! The person I was helping looked at me and said "Really, did she not see me sitting here!" lol
    She is well known for talking to us when we are in a conversation with each other, on the phone with patients, other docs, doing precerts, talking with a patient that isn't hers or whatever... she doesn't care.
    It's rude!
  • Options
    GillycwGillycw Sydney Posts: 524
    We have a real piece of work in our office. She has complained about every single one of us at different times to head office. We now have human resources coming out to talk to us about bullying as she complained that someone sat at her desk. We rotate desks every week & in fact she was at the wrong one. I've never worked with someone who has tried to cause so much trouble. She's really a giant pain in the ass.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,846
    I've read through a few pages of this and most of the comments seem to come from US posters. As someone in the UK, I can confirm that pretty much all this shit happens over here too!
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I got an invite to a training for next Tuesday from the big boss, the training starts at 9am...I don't get to work until 10:30, so I emailed him and told him this and asked if I needed to be here at 9am because it would be difficult for me to get here because of the special needs child I have at home...he couldn't bother to reply to me...I was so aggravated by this...because ehe was at his desk available, and he replied to other emails, but not mine...I eventually asked my boss about it, and I do have to be here for it, but it's like seriously why couldn't they have taken everyone's schedule into consideration when they scheduled it, it's only for 5 of us and if they had put it at 11am, everyone going would still have been able to go and no have to be here early or late...

So I sent an email to both big bosses and CCed my boss and said that this is going to be very difficult for me to come in before 10am for anything because of the fact that I no have a special needs child at home that I have to get ready for school. My boss already knew about this, but I wanted him to be aware of what I sent to the big guys...I still never heard anything back, except from my boss...

Luckily I have someone to help me on that day, but I won't always have someone to help me because my friend is only going to be with us temporarily...for a few months probably but not much more...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    I have been trying to deal with the micromanagey quirks of my boss to hopefully get her to back the fuck off..."predict what they will want and take the initiative and complete tasks before being asked " okey-dokey, currently I am doing QuickBooks and entering her credit card charges for last year, her credit card receipts are all jumbled up and stuffed into one envelope while her old assistant's receipts are separated into envelopes filed by month. I'm done entering the charges, but it took so long for me to look through her receipts it was a huge waste of time. Her assistants receipts were so easy to go through.

So all of her 2015 receipts are crumpled up in a basket. I took the initiative and made an envelope for each month, and separated all her receipts. This made her flip out and I am to not touch any receipts for 2015.

How are you supposed to deal with a psychotic crazy boss? Huh? Where is the article on that?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    People being loud in a library.
  • Options
    My cube is next to one of the main meeting rooms. As if the traffic isnt bad enough, but it is incredibly disruptive when some douche leavs the meeting early and doesnt have the dcency to close the door behind him, so now i have to try to talk on the phone with 15 yahoos laughing 5 feet away.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    The office dullard CAN be beaten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYyjw-AQzFk
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    HOMESTAR!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I haven't watched a Homestar cartoon in ages!! Holy shit that made me :rofl:

• Options
    evsgjamm said:

The office dullard CAN be beaten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYyjw-AQzFk

LOL

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Strong Bad! Yeeeeah hahaha!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I have been trying to deal with the micromanagey quirks of my boss to hopefully get her to back the fuck off..."predict what they will want and take the initiative and complete tasks before being asked " okey-dokey, currently I am doing QuickBooks and entering her credit card charges for last year, her credit card receipts are all jumbled up and stuffed into one envelope while her old assistant's receipts are separated into envelopes filed by month. I'm done entering the charges, but it took so long for me to look through her receipts it was a huge waste of time. Her assistants receipts were so easy to go through.

So all of her 2015 receipts are crumpled up in a basket. I took the initiative and made an envelope for each month, and separated all her receipts. This made her flip out and I am to not touch any receipts for 2015.

How are you supposed to deal with a psychotic crazy boss? Huh? Where is the article on that?

DO you work for Amanda Priestly?? lol...What a nut job!
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

You took initiative? I was had a difficult boss once and when I was new, a coworker told me that the boss didn't like us/want us to take initiative. I had never heard of that before.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I sit in a cube farm... We aren't organized so that my entire branch sits together, there is a lot of overlap. One of the branches decided that today would be their branch thanksgiving lunch... It smells so good, but I am not invited... :angry:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Frankie, I can relate. Our accounting department (located all together but the rest of us regularly walk through their area) does the occasional potluck thing with their native foods...we're talking Korean, Filipino, Chinese, Portugese. Scents outta this world.

Not ONCE been offered even a fucking empenada.
  • Options
    weird. our cube farms are mixed departments. everyone is included in our pot lucks and treat days. the only thing we keep seperate is our departmental celebrations, which we do either out or in the privacy of a meeting room, and it's only once a year, if that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    There is a place in hell specifically reserved for people who bring fish into work for lunch. NOBODY WANTS TO SMELL ROTTEN FUCKING SNATCH ALL DAY!!! Keep your god damn salmon at home.
  • Options

There is a place in hell specifically reserved for people who bring fish into work for lunch. NOBODY WANTS TO SMELL ROTTEN FUCKING SNATCH ALL DAY!!! Keep your god damn salmon at home.

:rofl:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    iluvcats said:

RKCNDY said:

You took initiative? I was had a difficult boss once and when I was new, a coworker told me that the boss didn't like us/want us to take initiative. I had never heard of that before.
    Now my boss said "actually it was good you separated the receipts, it will save time when we have to go through them later"

but I am required to ask her if I can start a project on my own. Fuck that, I will no longer take initiative when completing tasks for her. I won't go the extra mile, I'll just do only what she asks, no more.

- Christopher McCandless