Options

what song or songs that most PJ fans love, that you can't stand to listen to?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848

I DONT WANT TO SEE LIVE,JUST BREATHE..EVER AGAIN

Is this for real?

i saw it in 20 shows in the row live..gives nothing to the show,same style,same feeling,same spot at setlist..is an eddie song solo ,that was end up at pj album and a song guys get some rest at the encore..
    fair enough.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

I DONT WANT TO SEE LIVE,JUST BREATHE..EVER AGAIN

Is this for real?

i saw it in 20 shows in the row live..gives nothing to the show,same style,same feeling,same spot at setlist..is an eddie song solo ,that was end up at pj album and a song guys get some rest at the encore..
    I kind of feel the same way about Do The Evolution...
    I've had it at almost EVERY show since the song was released!!
    I sure wish they'd put it away for a while!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

It is weird how different we all hear these songs. Blood is my favorite EVER! Hard to believe some don't like it. And Porch being mentioned is just ridiculous to me.

absolutely. Porch is one of the best live songs for this band, ever, including Blood, and RVM. but hey, to each their own. whatever works for you.

Some of the instrumentals during Porch over the last year have been insane. Pretty much since the Baltimore gig when Stone started putting in a really groovy riff.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Crazy Mary, Leatherman, Love Boat captain, Man of the hour, dissident, I am Mine, sleight of hand, got some, unthought known, cropduster... oh and present tense...

Got Some? What's wrong with you chris? Haha
    Meh, I do clap to it with the crowd though Nart!!!
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    Blasphemy :)

Parachutes

"thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Hearing parachutes live is about as exciting as watching paint dry.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Wow some brutal yet amusing posts^^^^^^^.

So now wonder if there are any songs that someone doesn't hate???

Given 2 Fly????
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    callen said:

Given 2 Fly????

is it possible to hate "release"?

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Lately its been Pendulumorphisis or however you spell that holiday single! I think it's been a pretty overwhelming 'I love it' reaction, but it just isn't my favorite :/

Of the Earth, too. I feel a lot of people really dig it, but I'm not too into it either.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns

This. I know its blasphemous and all but the song never did anything for me.
    MLB never did anything for me at all. it's not blasphemous. they were a completely different band. my personal take on it is pearl jam hadn't come out of the ashes of MLB, most people wouldn't give two shits about MLB. I think people just like MLB because they think SHOULD like MLB.

There are a couple MLB's I like because I do like some of their music.

There are some fans in this club that have followed since Green River.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    callen said:

Given 2 Fly????

I will say that I am bored of the recorded version and prefer a more up beat live version
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smg97791smg97791 Posts: 151
    Deep
    State of Love and Trust
    Crazy Mary - I know its a cover, its just that there is a pretty decent chance I'll hear it at any show I go to and it sucks
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,535
    RP112579 said:

If this thread keeps hanging around on the first page long enough, eventually every song they've ever recorded is going to get mentioned ;)

true..and funny
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    To add to my earlier list of two: Smile.

I know a lot of people love this one. The crowd went nuts for it in London two summers ago.
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    So really? No one mentioned Don´t Give Me No Lip before? Maybe I´ve just missed it...ha

In Berlin last year I was in crazy fear as this `let Stone sing!´ thing was started....you know he just did´t do it there...lucky me I thought...
    This song is the worst for me and I can´t tell you how shocked I was as I got this one at my second and last gig in Leeds!
    It almost cuts this otherwise overwhelming gig in two peaces for me so I banned it off of my playlist.
    Just saw this little gem was only played 12 f..g times in all these years! What can I say...it was the only one I did hope I would not get lol :blush: Karma is the word! hehe

But really great is to see how different our choices are here !
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,978
    smarchee said:

edocon said:

Maybe not a PJ song everyone likes...but I can't stand the chorus in Pilate. The intro and bridge have so much promise and the chorus is just so unrelated to the rest of the song, for me.

I am with you 100%, the chorus is cringe-worthy, instant skip
    I have a severe dislike for Pilate. Seems to be cropping up more regularly on setlists too and it just kills the vibe for me.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    edited February 2015
    Jesus you guys are brutal! Blood, Smile, Porch, and Of the Earth!?!??? Someone just needs to throw in I Got Shit and there's pretty much my 5 favorites.
  • Options
    I have noticed that a lot of the songs that I would skip are on the bands don't really play list. That being said one of those songs being Pilate, I have seen 4 out of the 26 times it has been played. After hearing it twice live it started to not bother me when it came on. I don't have a explanation for the change other than maybe I now make an association with the concerts and events of that night. Though seen Leatherman 3 times still does nothing for me. The end of the song with all the leathermans and he's leatherman reminds me of the old here comes the Spider-Man cartoon theme.
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Last Kiss
    Dissident
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    Maybe it isn't listed yet because it's not a fan favorite...

Lightning Bolt. This has to be their worst song, and I'm not forgetting about Sweet Lew or Mind Your Manners.

"You gotta know you'll never let her go
    She's a lightning bolt"

Seriously? I don't know, but I never thought lightning bolts were that easy to catch or to hold on to. Foxy Mop is WB Yeats compared to this. I was hoping hearing it live and on bootlegs I'd warm up to this song. All that did was intensify my hatred.

When it comes to shows, I am sick of Given to Fly. I can't even listen to the album version anymore. I am about one bad night of sleep away from hating this song too. This song just hits me as pompous arena rock.

There are obviously the PJ tunes I feel are overplayed at shows, but they aren't bad songs. And if we weren't spoiled fans and go to a million shows a year it wouldn't be an issue. So I won't hold it against the song that I got to see it so many times.

But yeah, Lightning Bolt sucks. I didn't think a PJ song could be this crappy unless I put one of my dog's turds on a record.
  • Options

Lightning Bolt. This has to be their worst song, and I'm not forgetting about Sweet Lew or Mind Your Manners.

She's a lightning bolt"

Seriously? I don't know, but I never thought lightning bolts were that easy to catch or to hold on to. Foxy Mop is WB Yeats compared to this. I was hoping hearing it live and on bootlegs I'd warm up to this song. All that did was intensify my hatred.

When it comes to shows, I am sick of Given to Fly. I can't even listen to the album version anymore. I am about one bad night of sleep away from hating this song too. This song just hits me as pompous arena rock.

There are obviously the PJ tunes I feel are overplayed at shows, but they aren't bad songs. And if we weren't spoiled fans and go to a million shows a year it wouldn't be an issue. So I won't hold it against the song that I got to see it so many times.

But yeah, Lightning Bolt sucks. I didn't think a PJ song could be this crappy unless I put one of my dog's turds on a record.

this post isn't very clear. please elaborate.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    kce8 said:

So really? No one mentioned Don´t Give Me No Lip before? Maybe I´ve just missed it...ha

In Berlin last year I was in crazy fear as this `let Stone sing!´ thing was started....you know he just did´t do it there...lucky me I thought...
    This song is the worst for me and I can´t tell you how shocked I was as I got this one at my second and last gig in Leeds!
    It almost cuts this otherwise overwhelming gig in two peaces for me so I banned it off of my playlist.
    Just saw this little gem was only played 12 f..g times in all these years! What can I say...it was the only one I did hope I would not get lol :blush: Karma is the word! hehe

But really great is to see how different our choices are here !

probably because I don't know if it's on any "fan favourite" lists. I actually like that song. I like some of PJ's oddballs. I still can't figure out why they've never played Happy When I'm Crying. And that there's no mass movement to get it played live. it's a good song. Sure, it's Jack, but so what. Would Matt care? who knows.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns

This. I know its blasphemous and all but the song never did anything for me.
    MLB never did anything for me at all. it's not blasphemous. they were a completely different band. my personal take on it is pearl jam hadn't come out of the ashes of MLB, most people wouldn't give two shits about MLB. I think people just like MLB because they think SHOULD like MLB.

There are a couple MLB's I like because I do like some of their music.

There are some fans in this club that have followed since Green River.
    yes, of course. there are people who genuinely like MLB. I just think a lot of people get caught up in the hype of it because it was Jeff and Stone. Myself included. I listened to it for a while, then realized, "hey, forget who the band members are, would I listen to this independent of knowing who they are?". the answer was no. I don't like glam rock. And that's what they were. I actually like Green River way more than MLB. But I didn't at first. I bought Green River off ebay without ever hearing them, and back then, I didn't like anything like that. I hated it. But now I listen to it all the time.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

She's a lightning bolt"

She's a lightning bolt"

I don't think it's meant literally - but I didn't write the song :tongue: - and of course you have the right to your own interpretation.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options

She's a lightning bolt"

Seriously? I don't know, but I never thought lightning bolts were that easy to catch or to hold on to.

actually, that lyric makes perfect sense if you recall the song "caught a bolt of lightning, cursed the day he let it go".

he's saying if you let her go, you'll never get her back. lightning doesn't strike twice kinda thing.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

actually, that lyric makes perfect sense if you recall the song "caught a bolt of lightning, cursed the day he let it go".

he's saying if you let her go, you'll never get her back. lightning doesn't strike twice kinda thing.

That one lyric isn't the only reason I hate the song. I hate everything about it. Even without that line this song would still be grating. I just mentioned that line cause I think it is the worst one.

The whole album is weird for me, it is the only album of the last 3 that has any all-time favorites, but it also has a majority of my disliked PJ tunes.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354

Jesus you guys are brutal! Blood, Smile, Porch, and Of the Earth!?!??? Someone just needs to throw in I Got Shit and there's pretty much my 5 favorites.

I don't think anyone could possibly put in "I Got Shit" - its one of their best songs!
  • Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 647
    DTE/Wishlist are not two of my favs.
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ