Options

I dont care about vinyl

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,093
    PJ_Soul said:

Ok. SOME vinyl people are snobby about it. And it isnt science. Its opinion.

Well no. The science of the equipment converting the info on the record into sound is what I'm talking about.
    oh, I thought you were saying the sound difference was scientific.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

PJ_Soul said:

Ok. SOME vinyl people are snobby about it. And it isnt science. Its opinion.

Well no. The science of the equipment converting the info on the record into sound is what I'm talking about.
    oh, I thought you were saying the sound difference was scientific.

Well it is. But I'm not saying that people's perceptions of the sound difference is scientific.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Not always about the sound or collecting - but the experience of sitting down and committing to listening to an entire work of art, no skipping around, sitting with the big artwork and a glass of tequila, reading lyrics. Some dig it, some don't.

"Lighting Bolt" finally hit me in a BIG way the other night. I finally sat down and gave it a good listen on vinyl, all the way through while staring at the artwork! Theres nothing like it unless you see them live. Im glad the CD came with a cool package too. Grammy haha!!! Badass Job PJ and Crew, you guys deserve it, the artwork really completes the experience with this one>
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    pearlnin said:

Not always about the sound or collecting - but the experience of sitting down and committing to listening to an entire work of art, no skipping around, sitting with the big artwork and a glass of tequila, reading lyrics. Some dig it, some don't.

"Lighting Bolt" finally hit me in a BIG way the other night. I finally sat down and gave it a good listen on vinyl, all the way through while staring at the artwork! Theres nothing like it unless you see them live. Im glad the CD came with a cool package too. Grammy haha!!! Badass Job PJ and Crew, you guys deserve it, the artwork really completes the experience with this one>
    It is cool that you enjoy the art work along with listening. I don't veg that either. I have read that here before and it does nothing for me. For you, how does looking at the pictures in the album cover enhance the songs?

(Again, I'm not knocking how you experience the album, I'm seriously curious..)
  • Options

pearlnin said:

It is cool that you enjoy the art work along with listening. I don't veg that either. I have read that here before and it does nothing for me. For you, how does looking at the pictures in the album cover enhance the songs?

That's a great question.
    The physical aspect of reading/looking at pictures and art of what the artist is putting down conveys a deeper listening.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

pearlnin said:

That's a great question.
    The physical aspect of reading/looking at pictures and art of what the artist is putting down conveys a deeper listening.
    I didn't ask you. The question wasn't directed at you. Why bother answering?
  • Options

pearlnin said:

That's a great question.
    Who were you asking?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

pearlnin said:

That's a great question.
    Who were you asking?
    I believe it was pearlnin
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073

PJ_Soul said:

And now I have an imagine 45 that I have no clue what to do with.

You make a compelling argument. I honestly think that sometimes I get caught up in the vinyl craze, when it isn't really me. You have inspired me to stop being that person. I will be going back to digital membership, and selling what little vinyl i have. Fuck it.

Soooo..... what do you have for sale?? =)
    Ten super box, jack white inverted lightning bolt sealed, tmr vault 12 opened, and the newest vault that will be arriving in 6-8 weeks. I am going to keep my local band vinyl. Probably give away my led zep 2 and john lennon imagine and guess who live. Send tea party live in oz to a buddy who loves them. Throw backspacer in the trash. Lol. Not sure what else i have. Not much. A few jack white dead weather singles and pj xmas singles.
    I'd be interested in that Jack White inverted and the Dead Weather singles depending which ones they are. If and when they come up for sale.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,093

pearlnin said:

That's a great question.
    Wow. Its a forum, not a one on one coversation. I dont get why people get all bent out of shape when answering a question, directed at them or not. It is just their take on it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    ^^ There is an ongoing problem between these two Paulonious. One won't quit quoting the other... it's all very dramatic, lol! :tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Loving the new banned avatar
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Loving the new banned avatar

Is that what the "prison bars" on the avatar mean?
    Noticed that earlier today too!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,524
    I'm pretty fortunate to live by a record store that has put a ton of used CDs on closeout. They are priced at 50 cents apiece, and sometimes they are "on sale" for a quarter apiece. They are a gamble, as some of them are scratched, some are missing the booklet, etc. But for such a low price, it's worth the gamble. Considering iTunes has these for as much as $9.99 in an inferior format, I feel like I'm getting a helluva deal. Even if they are scratched, at least part of the CD is usually error free, so I can get partial albums and singles. I've gotten the following albums this way:

Blind Melon - Self-Titled and Soup
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
    Portishead - Dummy and Self-Titled
    Sigur Ros - Takk... and ()
    Tegan and Sara - If It Was You and So Jealous
    No Doubt - Rock Steady
    R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
    Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
    Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
    Sir Mix-A-Lot - Mack Daddy
    Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Pearl Jam related:
    Hater - Self-Titled
    Weapon of Choice - Nut-Meg Sez "Bozo The Town" and Highperspice
    Paul Westerberg - Dyslexic Heart (Singles promo CD)
    Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows and The Remote Part

I will admit that I really enjoy listening to these discs, as I feel like I'm cheating the system. I will also admit that my enjoyment of these albums is increased because of how little I spent on them. Just like the enjoyment of vinyl listeners is probably enhanced by how much (or how little) they spent on them. There are other factors that go into the enjoyment of audio than just sound quality. A good deal is a good deal, no matter if it is vinyl or digital.