Options

I dont care about vinyl

Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

I dont understand the phrase "warm sound of vinyl". I hear that said all the time, but have never understood the meaning. Maybe if i heard a good vinyl setup and then the same song on cd or ipod i might get it, but so far, i aint hearing it.

I'm actually with you on that. I hear more depth, better sound stage, but I'm not sure what warmth is either.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    More depth in sound, more warm, fuzzy feelings as a result.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

More depth in sound, more warm, fuzzy feelings as a result.

I get that warm fuzzy feeling from a bottle of Scotch also.
  • Options
    Also good while listening to vinyl. Maybe that's what PJSoul was referring to?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    i have gone from vinyl to cassette to cd. i still buy some vinyl, but not much. love colored vinyl
    i cant stand owning digital files(only) but love my ipod and don't need a $300 pono
    i'm all about cds these days because of the convenience. sound-wise i am totally fine with cds.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,225
    You will never play a vinyl record in your car on long road trips! In 20 years my PJ cds will become a gold mine.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    joseph33 said:

You will never play a vinyl record in your car on long road trips! In 20 years my PJ cds will become a gold mine.

Actually, cd's will deteriorate and break down over time. Vinyl is forever!
  • Options
    Sure, 75 to 100 years right? Hahaha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Sure, 75 to 100 years right? Hahaha!

Yeah, more or less haha
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,093
    do digital files ever break down?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Voyager 1 sent a golden record into space. Not a golden tape. Not a golden cd. A golden goddamn record. So, my point is that vinyl (especially vinyl made out of gold...) is best!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    october22 said:

joseph33 said:

True...
    Library of Congress preferred method for storage of audio is..... you guessed it- vinyl.
    because like October said- cd's deteriorate

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    lolobugg said:

october22 said:

joseph33 said:

True...
    Library of Congress preferred method for storage of audio is..... you guessed it- vinyl.
    And when End of Days comes, there won't be any electricity, and I've never heard of a hand crank CD player. We need vinyl for our post-apocalypse music enjoyment. =)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

october22 said:

joseph33 said:

True...
    And when End of Days comes, there won't be any electricity, and I've never heard of a hand crank CD player. We need vinyl for our post-apocalypse music enjoyment. =)
    Thanks PJ_Soul
    you just reminded me that I need to stash a Victrola in a bunker
    we can have our own episode of Doomsday Preppers or whatever that shit is called.
    Toilet paper. can food... aaaaaaaaaand..... Records!!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    :rock_on:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

No, they get deleted

• Options
    my2hands said:

No, they get deleted

I was being serious. a buddy of mine once told me that digital files do actually break down, but I wasn't sure if this was true or not.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

my2hands said:

No, they get deleted

I was being serious. a buddy of mine once told me that digital files do actually break down, but I wasn't sure if this was true or not.

I know that the old hard drives would break down after a while.
    I have seen some just shatter while spinning.
    not sure about the new solid state ones.
    shit, who am I kidding. I don't know what I talking about....
    I still spin plastic.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    october22 said:

Voyager 1 sent a golden record into space. Not a golden tape. Not a golden cd. A golden goddamn record. So, my point is that vinyl (especially vinyl made out of gold...) is best!

Hahahaha!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

my2hands said:

No, they get deleted

The files themselves don't degrade. The equipment they are stored on does.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

my2hands said:

No, they get deleted

The files themselves don't degrade. The equipment they are stored on does.
    gotcha.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

october22 said:

Hahahaha!!!
    Vger (pronounced "VEE-jer")

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    So kids, store your files across multiple sources if possible if you want to listen to your mp3s when you're 60.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited February 2015

So kids, store your files across multiple sources if possible if you want to listen to your mp3s when you're 60.

Yup. Back up everything on an external hard drive, and transfer to a new external hard drive every, oh, 6 years or so, and you should be fine. (not that a hard drive is going to physically degrade in 6 years - it's just good to keep the technology current if you want to be 100% safe about it).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    I felt like the only guy buying vinyl around 2000-2001 and had a hard time trying to get record stores to order me a vinyl copy of a record. I was so glad PJ was staying committed to vinyl and fighting the good fight. I thought we were in a losing battle to CDs and low and behold vinyl has come back and I'm so glad I never stopped collecting vinyl records or sold them off or donated them to Goodwill (thanks to all those people who did though). I got a lot of great vinyl for cheap back then from the thrift stores. Playing a whole album, holding the album cover, looking at the artwork, reading the lyrics, flipping the record over, dropping the needle down, cleaning a record, hearing deeper bass notes, playing a secret message backwards on a turntable, so many things to about vinyl. If the LP is cut and mastered well, it sounds better than a CD.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    And now I have an imagine 45 that I have no clue what to do with.
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,356
    RD101189 said:

I felt like the only guy buying vinyl around 2000-2001 and had a hard time trying to get record stores to order me a vinyl copy of a record. I was so glad PJ was staying committed to vinyl and fighting the good fight. I thought we were in a losing battle to CDs and low and behold vinyl has come back and I'm so glad I never stopped collecting vinyl records or sold them off or donated them to Goodwill (thanks to all those people who did though). I got a lot of great vinyl for cheap back then from the thrift stores. Playing a whole album, holding the album cover, looking at the artwork, reading the lyrics, flipping the record over, dropping the needle down, cleaning a record, hearing deeper bass notes, playing a secret message backwards on a turntable, so many things to about vinyl. If the LP is cut and mastered well, it sounds better than a CD.

I also don't concern myself with vinyl as it doesn't seem to be a durable, convenient, mobile way to listen to music. I do understand collectors liking the artwork and presentation features inherent in purchasing records. The points made above in the second last sentence come across as 'fair enough to me' - to each their own... do what makes you happy.
    What I don't understand is why people get hot and bothered for the opportunity to pay exorbitant amounts of amounts for 'hard-to-get' vinyl when there are equal quality sounding CD's readily available? For instance, paying ridiculous sums of money for a Benaroya Hall vinyl set, when the CD is easily purchased at a fraction of the cost.
    Over the past three years I have been fortunate to acquire some posters that I've been after as I'm new to this poster collecting thing. Fortunately, I've never had to pay more than $125 for a poster that I wanted. Now, many people would say that collecting posters is a similar habit to collecting vinyl - a position that I'd agree with. However, posters - to the best of my knowledge - don't have comparable equals out on the market, like records do with CD's ......
    'enjoy the music everyone - however you choose to listen to it
  • Options

You make a compelling argument. I honestly think that sometimes I get caught up in the vinyl craze, when it isn't really me. You have inspired me to stop being that person. I will be going back to digital membership, and selling what little vinyl i have. Fuck it.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

You make a compelling argument. I honestly think that sometimes I get caught up in the vinyl craze, when it isn't really me. You have inspired me to stop being that person. I will be going back to digital membership, and selling what little vinyl i have. Fuck it.

What what what? Somehow I feel like a bad person now....
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Soooo..... what do you have for sale?? =)