Options

I dont care about vinyl

Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
Back in the day, I had records. Several AC/DC, Aerosmith, Ozzy, and others. I even had a turntable. But as I grew older, I just didn't care for them. I had the opportunity to buy the no code record at the wooden nickel in Fort Wayne during the midnight release. But I said to myself "why?" I guess from the collector standpoint, I should have bought it just to have. But I really don't like to even listen to records. It's a poor sound quality.

Sorry, just wanted to say that.

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    edited February 2015
    Not always about the sound or collecting - but the experience of sitting down and committing to listening to an entire work of art, no skipping around, sitting with the big artwork and a glass of tequila, reading lyrics. Some dig it, some don't.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    as for my opinion,
    with the right set-up.. the sound is far superior to digital if the product is recorded and mixed correctly- Pearl Jam is not really the best gauge of vinyl.
    also like Feign said- it is the ritual of it. the physical disc. the larger artwork.
    but ya gotta crank that shit up too. the physical power of volume.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Maybe the OP will host the next...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CP1751wJA
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    When I got my record player back in Germany and started getting albums and listening to them, my neighbour, who never had any problem started knocking on my door. He asked "Do you have a new cd player or something? It's so loud suddenly!". I giggled and said: "No, I just started listening to music on vinyl". He loves his vinyl too, so we both laughed. I thought it was amazing how much more sound comes out of an LP. I was mostly listening to audience boots and music from my computer before that. So it was a huge difference. It sounded as if it would go up to 15! :lol:

I'm with the two other posters. The haptic experience of even just holding an lp in your hands is so different than CDs, cassettes or (lol) mp3. To each their own, I'm sold to vinyl records. I also love how well they stand the test of time. I needed to throw CDs away because they started becoming translucent and not playable anymore, for example...
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Nobody cares Scott. Or should I say IDGAF what you think of vinyl. A€€h@|£
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    George Bush doesn't care about black vinyl.
  • Options
    I am late to the vinyl party. I had ALL vinyl back in the day. (Yeah...I'm old..) And when CDs came out I sold all of my vinyl (No need to hate on me for this...I hate myself more..) and went with CDs solely. Over the years I have missed the art and, yeah, holding album sleeves and reading liner notes without a microscope. And I do feel that it is a rich, warmer sound. So I have started to collect vinyl again. I have not acquired a turntable just yet but plan to soon. I have been able to get the newer PJ albums on vinyl along with some of the re-releases. I have also been able to get the available Vault albums. I have little/no hope of getting No Code, Yield, etc unless they re-release those. Still...I am excited to spin what I have some day and will continue to collect the albums I long to hear on vinyl (Thrilled about the Led Zeppelin remasters/re-releases) and willhope for more re-releases from Pearl Jam. Viva la Vinyl!!
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options

I am late to the vinyl party. I had ALL vinyl back in the day. (Yeah...I'm old..) And when CDs came out I sold all of my vinyl (No need to hate on me for this...I hate myself more..) and went with CDs solely. Over the years I have missed the art and, yeah, holding album sleeves and reading liner notes without a microscope. And I do feel that it is a rich, warmer sound. So I have started to collect vinyl again. I have not acquired a turntable just yet but plan to soon. I have been able to get the newer PJ albums on vinyl along with some of the re-releases. I have also been able to get the available Vault albums. I have little/no hope of getting No Code, Yield, etc unless they re-release those. Still...I am excited to spin what I have some day and will continue to collect the albums I long to hear on vinyl (Thrilled about the Led Zeppelin remasters/re-releases) and willhope for more re-releases from Pearl Jam. Viva la Vinyl!!

Don't feel bad. I switched too. most people I know did. Sony's marketing of the Compact Disc was excellent. I can't believe I gave away all of my Mom's records. I hate myself for that too.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    I go back and forth. I don't have a good setup, so it's not about the sound for me at this point. it's, as chris said, sitting back and listening and doing nothing else.
    but for the amount of money it costs, fuck me if I don't turn around and sell some of it when I need the coin. I have bought and sold probably 5 Drop In The Parks. and my VS/Vitalogy super box. and now I can't buy it again because they won't ship it to Canada for some reason. it's annoying. I hate that there is a secondary market that is sometimes too tempting to resist. and it's so frustrating that my favourite band won't stock their catalogue on vinyl. they make their fans go to the secondary market and pay ridiculous prices to do it. for a band that wrote a song about spinning records, it blows me away that they don't want their music out there available to their fans on their own favourite format. it's bizarre.
    and don't get me started on all of this "limited" bullshit.
    right now I try to keep my vinyl purchases to PJ and local bands. everything else, except canadian bands, is digital. I buy way too much music to do it any other way.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Lightning Bolt at my local record store is $34.99. Seriously. buying it in the shop here is about the same after shipping. I mean, I know it won a grammy and everything, but......
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,612
    lolobugg said:

as for my opinion,
    with the right set-up.. the sound is far superior to digital if the product is recorded and mixed correctly- Pearl Jam is not really the best gauge of vinyl.
    also like Feign said- it is the ritual of it. the physical disc. the larger artwork.

Honestly, even if it's not recorded correctly (but still done well, relatively), it sounds way better for me, since my TT set up is FAR superior to my CD player set up, which sucks, and my mp3 player, which sucks even more.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Nobody cares Scott. Or should I say IDGAF what you think of vinyl. A€€h@|£

Improv.....good one
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

George Bush doesn't care about black vinyl.

=)
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Ok.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    lolobugg said:

as for my opinion,

I agree, and I think the Mastering means so much to an album. A poorly mastered vinyl is prolly much worse than CD.
  • Options
    The Zep reissues are amazing!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,047

The Beatles Mono box set is too!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    I guess you just have to be a fan. Because in no way do I think that the scratchy sound of vinyl is better than a cd.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

I guess you just have to be a fan. Because in no way do I think that the scratchy sound of vinyl is better than a cd.

Nicely pressed vinyl are as quiet as any CD, with more depth.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

It has been 20 years since I have played a record.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    To each, their own. I started collecting when I went to college because I had been listening to my Dad play records all my life.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    MedozK said:

^this

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    time to change that OP!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483
    edited February 2015
    It's like dating.

Vinyl is the slightly out-of-reach, expensive, and high maintenance date. You put a lot of time, effort, and pressure on yourself to make it work. It makes you feel better about yourself, even when you realize you're not being yourself. And as the relationship gets deeper and deeper, it starts constantly complaining that you don't spend enough time with it at home.

Digital is the cheap date with no expectations. You can take it to Burger King and it doesn't mind in the slightest.
    Post edited by darthvedder on
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533

The Beatles Mono box set is literally the most quiet, beautiful sounding vinyl I've ever heard. I was blown away.

For people who "don't get" vinyl, spend a day sitting around with that box set, listening to it and looking at the gatefolds while reading the lyrics and liner notes and tell me if the cd experience compares in any way.
  • Options
    why is mono now better than stereo?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    I've been collecting vinyl since the late 90s. Lucky enough to have bought all but one PJ LPs new. I bought CDs for a while and was more selective in my vinyl purchases but kicking myself over a few records I bought on CD instead of vinyl. Now it is very rare that I buy a CD but I have to say its a hobby that costs an absolute fortune. Even though more vinyl is being pressed I have a fear that it will go out of print if I don't buy it immediately which I hate. I have 1000+ records but occassionally I am so tempted to sell the lot.
  • Options

That was the way it was originally recorded by the Beatles

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    october22 said:

The Beatles Mono box set is literally the most quiet, beautiful sounding vinyl I've ever heard. I was blown away.

For people who "don't get" vinyl, spend a day sitting around with that box set, listening to it and looking at the gatefolds while reading the lyrics and liner notes and tell me if the cd experience compares in any way.
    I am so jealous... I WANT that boxset.
    have to make do with the new Wilco Boxset.... it is also Beautiful sounding with great liner notes.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

That was the way it was originally recorded by the Beatles
    oh, so it's not better, it's just that was how it was originally done? I just see Jack White recording stuff in mono, and was wondering why that seems to be preferred for vinyl somehow?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com