Options

Better Call Saul WARNING Spoiler Alert

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    edited May 2022
    Jumb0 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I didn’t like the way Nacho went out. I get he figured he was a dead man anyway and he was trying to protect his dad. But still didn’t like it. He also died protecting everyone who screwed him over and tried to kill him. Turn the gun on Gus and go out in a blaze of glory or something. Or start a new life somewhere. 

That was the best possible way for him to go out. If he tries to run, the murder twins catch him and make his death miserable. 
    Can't turn on Gus because he gave him his word, through Mike, that his dad was safe. There's also that whole Breaking Bad show that Gus was prominent in.

Yeah I get he couldn’t actually have killed Gus because of BB. But maybe he tries and Mike protects him or something. I just didn’t buy the whole turn the gun on yourself to protect the people that just tried to kill you because you think maybe they won’t kill your dad now. So what they promised to not kill your dad now. Gus and also Mike’s word should mean nothing to Nacho at that point. Mike betrayed him just as much as Gus, even if he was just taking orders. He just proved his word means nothing if he’s taking orders from Gus. That’s why Mike told Gus loyalty goes both ways. Killing Gus was really the only way to protect his dad. So if he was willing to die to protect his dad, try to kill him. Shoot gus and let Mike or the drug lords kill you, or then use it on yourself after Gus is dead. Obviously it couldn’t have played out like that because of BB, but Nacho didn’t know this was a prequel with characters that couldn’t be killed.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    mace1229 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I didn’t like the way Nacho went out. I get he figured he was a dead man anyway and he was trying to protect his dad. But still didn’t like it. He also died protecting everyone who screwed him over and tried to kill him. Turn the gun on Gus and go out in a blaze of glory or something. Or start a new life somewhere. 

That was the best possible way for him to go out. If he tries to run, the murder twins catch him and make his death miserable. 
    Can't turn on Gus because he gave him his word, through Mike, that his dad was safe. There's also that whole Breaking Bad show that Gus was prominent in.

Yeah I get he couldn’t actually have killed Gus because of BB. But maybe he tries and Mike protects him or something. I just didn’t buy the whole turn the gun on yourself to protect the people that just tried to kill you because you think maybe they won’t kill your dad now. So what they promised to not kill your dad now. Gus and also Mike’s word should mean nothing to Nacho at that point. That’s why Mike told Gus loyalty goes both ways. Killing Gus was really the only way to protect his dad. So if he was willing to die to protect his dad, try to kill him. Shoot gus and let Mike or the drug lords kill you, or then use it on yourself after Gus is dead. Obviously it couldn’t have played out like that because of BB, but Nacho didn’t know this was a prequel with characters that couldn’t be killed.

They made enough of a point with Mike and Nacho's dad to say with certainty he's safe. And we don't know what was said when Mike and Nacho have a drink the night before but it's apparent that it was instructing Nacho to audible and kill himself. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I think there was a deal of trust and respect with Mike/Nacho.  I remember too when Mike returned money without being prompted because he had to get Tuco's sentence reduced.  
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    nice episode last night. The boxing fight between J9immy and Howard was funny. I didn't get what the thing at the beginning was with what looked like a sculpture of some sorts and towards the end when Lalo and that one German woman were talking and somehow she has/had that sculpture.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    I know this show has always been a slow burn but last night's episode was pretty damn boring.  Only 9 episodes left....feels like things need to start happening here.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    I know this show has always been a slow burn but last night's episode was pretty damn boring.  Only 9 episodes left....feels like things need to start happening here.

we see the room gus is building. and lalo clues in to the german architect midbuild?

howard is on to jimmy. so thats heating up more than before.

imo they moved forward a few steps.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251

I think they still have time to work with so I don't mind the silly side-plots.
    I think come the second half they'll need to start focusing on end-game.
    I was hoping to see more Gene scenes, but I also think those we'll see more toward the end. 
  • Options
    There's a time jump coming at some point. BCS is in early 2005 at this point and BB begins in 2008. 

I'm wondering if these last 2 first half episodes "wrap up" the current time and then the 2nd half is BB Saul and Gene time
  • Options
    How do you know the current time? I’ve been curious exactly how much before the Walter white meeting this all is, but didn’t know for sure.
    i found this last episode to be a little slow too. The whole Howard plot seems to really drag out. Knowing the lab is fully operational in BB, I can’t see what the big deal is with Lalo investigating it. There’s already enough as blood, so it’s not like they need a motive for a war.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    How do you know the current time? I’ve been curious exactly how much before the Walter white meeting this all is, but didn’t know for sure.

From all of the other internet sleuths that way over analyze ever single facet of the show. 
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,234
    mace1229 said:
    i found this last episode to be a little slow too. The whole Howard plot seems to really drag out. Knowing the lab is fully operational in BB, I can’t see what the big deal is with Lalo investigating it. There’s already enough as blood, so it’s not like they need a motive for a war.
    Howard’s license plate had a registration sticker dated Dec 05.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Howard’s license plate had a registration sticker dated Dec 05.
    I totally noticed that. I just assumed a greedy lawyer doesn’t pay his registration fees.
  • Options
    A little slow the past 2 weeks obviously setting up for a (hopefully) big mid season finale. 

The Lalo does Germany thing is still confusing and a stretch for me. 
  • Options
    Very little to do with the cartel lately. That has always been this shows problem. When it resembles breaking bad it is top notch….running with the Kim angle is just not that interesting. I may change my mind when we finally, FINALLY and finally end her story. Shits been going on forever.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    Holy $hit. Still trembling.
  • Options

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Awesome. 

Can't wait until July. 
  • Options

I was beyond tired of the "Saul & Kim going after Howard" plot, but what they did last night was pretty friggin' great. 
  • Options
    The misdirection. The cockaroach. The flickering flame. Unparalleled. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    tell me again how slow this is?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Damn.  2 characters that are so far removed from each other....would never expect them to be on screen together.  That was wild.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    Was not expecting that ending at all, WOW!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    That was fantastic!  When the candle flickered and the background was blurry, I honestly didn't think "Lalo".  For some reason my initial thought was that it was someone Howard knew....maybe a "gotcha" moment.  That was wild!

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Masterpiece 

Feel so bad for Howard. He didn't deserve anything that happened to him and was about the only person in the BB/BCS universe that actually improved as a person over his timeline.
    Post edited by Jumb0 on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    its a tough one.  Howard is probably the one on the show(s) I empathized with the most, ever since it was revealed that his apparent dickishness was him just backing Chuck.  I always thought the show would end with him and HHM in the gutter.  Didnt think he would be offed by a Salamanca
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    Speechless. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    tell me again how slow this is?

The slowness is the brilliance. They had the audience super focused in one expected event which was building for weeks, applied a last second audible and went in an incredibly different unexpected and violent event, up there with any of the stunners from BB…be it Jessie’s gf, Todd , etc. And made total sense. Jimmy n Kim so carefree, loving and happy recently went onscreen in seconds to totally terrified. The sudden shift of that acting was incredible.

Gilligan’s team at its best.
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    Masterpiece 

Feel so bad for Howard. He didn't deserve anything that happened to him and was about the only person in the BB/BCS universe that actually improved as a person over his timeline.

That’s part of the brilliance. They made Howard almost likable recently.

But let’s not forget Hamlin got involved in a family decision, picked sides, and was aggressive in his disrespect for Jimmy over the years. The bad luck being he didn’t  know Jimmy was involved with kingpins. Hamlin helped mold Jimmy into the person he was and paid the price. The disrespect of Jimmy over the years was the reason Jimmy was merciless  in his retaliation and the reason why Hamlin was compelled to go to Jimmies at the worst time imaginable. 

I can go one step further and contend people like Hamlin create people like Jimmy, pushing him into the fringe of his beloved profession. There’s a reason people like Jimmy have to scrape by. People like Howard.

Lets do a good job picking our friends, but be very careful picking our enemies. Words many of us don’t utilize.
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    Masterpiece 

But let’s not forget Hamlin got involved in a family decision, picked sides, and was aggressive in his disrespect for Jimmy over the years. The bad luck being he didn’t  know Jimmy was involved with kingpins. Hamlin helped mold Jimmy into the person he was and paid the price. The disrespect of Jimmy over the years was the reason Jimmy was merciless  in his retaliation and the reason why Hamlin was compelled to go to Jimmies at the worst time imaginable. 

He didn't deserve to have his career and reputation destroyed because of that. Not to mention he spent a lot of time the last few seasons trying to atone for those early actions. Jimmy was already the way he was before Howard. Hell, most of the reason Chuck didn't want him in the firm was because of Slippin Jimmy. 

Kim was the fuel to the fire that molded Jimmy to Saul. 
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    Masterpiece 

He didn't deserve to have his career and reputation destroyed because of that. Not to mention he spent a lot of time the last few seasons trying to atone for those early actions. Jimmy was already the way he was before Howard. Hell, most of the reason Chuck didn't want him in the firm was because of Slippin Jimmy. 

Kim was the fuel to the fire that molded Jimmy to Saul. 
    Agreed on pretty much every point... I came around on Howard as a character towards the end of S3 when Chuck was in his downward spiral. Patrick Fabian was fantastic in the role, and the more I watched the more I appreciated him. 

The moment he had w/ the intern in this most recent episode was one of the great things about this show... despite all his stiffness and arrogance etc, he was a good guy deep down, happy to help the new kid along w/ some advice. I was sorry to see him meet the end he did, despite his flaws. 

& You're spot on about Kim... Jimmy tried pulling back a couple times on bringing down Howard, but it was Kim who pushed him. The only person to realize that Kim is a wolf in sheep's clothing was Mike. Everyone else thinks she's the voice of reason & Jimmy's the bad influence.