Options

Better Call Saul WARNING Spoiler Alert

Comments

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,238
    This show has me struggling every season. When it crosses into the BB world with Gus and the cartels, Lalo and all those good scenes in Mexico it is outstanding. The Kim/Saul storyline has been dragging on for too long. I get her demise will push jimmy to full on Saul but it could have wrapped up already. Also, the cinematography in BB was groundbreaking and used so well. Sometimes I feel BCS uses it when it’s not necessary. Great show but it’s no BB and it ain’t even close.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Brilliant episode(s)!  Goddamn that 2.5 hours went by quick!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    This show has me struggling every season. When it crosses into the BB world with Gus and the cartels, Lalo and all those good scenes in Mexico it is outstanding. The Kim/Saul storyline has been dragging on for too long. I get her demise will push jimmy to full on Saul but it could have wrapped up already. Also, the cinematography in BB was groundbreaking and used so well. Sometimes I feel BCS uses it when it’s not necessary. Great show but it’s no BB and it ain’t even close.
    I get it, and agree with Kim a bit... but I feel her demise will be pretty epic this season and likely be tied into everything that results in Lalo being neutralized, whatever happens with Nacho, and Fring ending up on top.... and a segway into some entry-point of BB as well as whatever is going to happen in the Omaha scenes.  

As the show has moved on, it has immersed more into the Breaking Bad drug-world prequel than the Saul Goodman story, which is a good thing.  I do think they have intertwined Saul into it the perfect amount to make the events in BB hold up still (as far as we know in BB, he still has some degree of separation from Fring and even Mike).  There is only so-much Saul that can be provided while they are moving on with the BB prequel.

While the show isnt BB, it does approach it at times.  They have created some more great characters independent of this show as well as enhance some of the best in BB.  All in all it has exceeded my wildest expectations.  I would have never thought they could pull off a prequel as well as they have.  
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    I feel BCS has caught up to if not passed BB as far as quality of show.  Just my opinion.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    mca47 said:
    I feel BCS has caught up to if not passed BB as far as quality of show.  Just my opinion.
    more understated and less over the top than walter white.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    mca47 said:
    Brilliant episode(s)!  Goddamn that 2.5 hours went by quick!
    agreed! Although it didn't really feel like 2 episodes just one to me anyway.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    kim is pretty fucking ruthless
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    mca47 said:
    BCS > BB 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    I sort of forget why they are so hellbent on ruining Hamlin's life
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    It's over the top.  They are well into the area of "unnecessarily vindictive".  

I agree with the comments.  I never loved this storyline to start.  In fact, I almost abandoned the series a few seasons ago when 80% of the story was Jimmy and his brother.  If it wasn't for the nuggets of violence, I probably would have.  I'm all in now again, ever since Lalo joined and it really picked up.  He's a great character.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Isn't it revenge for kicking Jimmy out of the firm? And didn't Jimmy fell like they turned his brother against him?  

There is a Kim angle there too.  She hated Hamlin when she worked for him.  He put her in the basement.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    What an episode/scene.  Shitballs
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    yeah....crazy shit
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Fuck. What an ending. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Man... I really liked Nacho's character. 

Part of me is disappointed, Michael Mando was great... but what a way to go. 

I'm trying to recall... what was Mike & Gus' relationship like in Breaking Bad? I would think the way the Nacho situation went down would loom large over their future relationship. 

RE: Kim, Jimmy, Howard etc... every time someone knocks Jimmy, Kim gets more resentful & vengeful. The DA gave them an out for his association  w/ the cartel, and she replied by correcting her about Jimmy's new name. Even Jimmy / Saul seems to be concerned w/ what she's doing. 

The Howard thing IS over the top, and mostly driven by Kim... Jimmy / Saul was ready to abandon it a few times over. 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

I'm trying to recall... what was Mike & Gus' relationship like in Breaking Bad? I would think the way the Nacho situation went down would loom large over their future relationship. 

RE: Kim, Jimmy, Howard etc... every time someone knocks Jimmy, Kim gets more resentful & vengeful. The DA gave them an out for his association  w/ the cartel, and she replied by correcting her about Jimmy's new name. Even Jimmy / Saul seems to be concerned w/ what she's doing. 

The Howard thing IS over the top, and mostly driven by Kim... Jimmy / Saul was ready to abandon it a few times over. 
    Yeah he was a great character and Michael Mando was outstanding.  Fitting ending for him to protect his father.  What a great scene at the end when he told Hector it was him who put him in the wheelchair.  

Mike and Gus seemed to have a pretty good relationship in BB.  I think BCS is currently 3-4 years behind that timeframe so they obviously had a few years to work with each other.  Feels like the way he handled the Nacho situation would make Gus trust him even more since it saved Gus's ass and avoid a war.
  • Options

I don't think they really get into too many 1 on 1 interactions/scenes in BB.  You can see that Mike is a very trusted high-level operative in that time-frame.  Mike also appears to be very loyal in season 4 when Walt tried so get him to turn on Gus.  

I think the Nacho situation was tense, but the solution was satisfying for all parties.  Gus got everything he wanted and (apparently) tied up the loose end.  He also saw that Mike's intuition was correct at most junctures.   
    Mike's wish for someone 'not in the game' to avoid being punished (Nacho's dad) was granted.  Gus also acknowledged respect for Nacho and Nacho got to end things on his own terms.   I'm sure Mike's character realized there was little other alternative in this situation and they were backed into a corner.  

The Howard thing is something that irked me since last season.  He isnt a character I dislike, I would have preferred they leave him alone. In this show/season, it is kind of an uninteresting plot.  I hope it really ties into the rest of the story perfectly and not just a device to keep Jimmy and Kim busy through these episodes while the Cartel/Gus stuff plays out.
  • Options

I don't refute that Gus probably has more admiration for Mike after the Nacho situation, I guess my question was more intended from Mike's perspective... he didn't like the way Gus was involving Nacho's father.... I'm wondering why Mike doesn't just walk away after this. I guess we'll have to see how the rest of this season plays out. 

RE: Howard - I love his character, and love how Patrick Fabian plays him. The scenes between him & Chuck / Michael McKean were far & away my favorite, and I was legit disappointed when Chuck died... similar to my disappointment w/ Nacho. Great way to go out, I'll just miss watching these characters played by these actors. 

We also still don't know who was following Kim & Jimmy after they pulled away from the Kettlemans' tax company two episodes ago. 

3 episodes in and I'm loving this season. 
  • Options
    goddamn thats good television.

the shit with saul has ALWAYS been a slow burn. From the beginning.  I think at heart he's just a small time von artist doing shit , in part, because he can.  in a way, he's  the innocent surrounded by vultures.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    goddamn thats good television.

the shit with saul has ALWAYS been a slow burn. From the beginning.  I think at heart he's just a small time von artist doing shit , in part, because he can.  in a way, he's  the innocent surrounded by vultures.
    Agreed... to my point, Kim's dragging Jimmy down, not the other way around. 

He still has some good in his heart, but that's dying. Whereas Kim.... IDK what's in her heart, but man... it's dark. 
  • Options

Yeah he was a great character and Michael Mando was outstanding.  Fitting ending for him to protect his father.  What a great scene at the end when he told Hector it was him who put him in the wheelchair.  

Mike and Gus seemed to have a pretty good relationship in BB.  I think BCS is currently 3-4 years behind that timeframe so they obviously had a few years to work with each other.  Feels like the way he handled the Nacho situation would make Gus trust him even more since it saved Gus's ass and avoid a war.

He was my favorite character along with Mike., I wanted his character to stay around longer but deep down i knew he was going to be a goner sometime this season.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    The Nacho ending was well done. The full circle on that opening scene where the piece of glass was exposed by the rain with the symbolism of the flower among the brown dry lifelessness of the desert. He then took the decision out of everyone else's hands after gloating about what he'd done. He didn't let Mike get exposed and blow his cover, which could have been an issue for future operations. The Salamanca's had to resort to letting Hector shoot his pistol at an already dead body after carrying him over in his wheelchair. Gruesome, pathetic and laughable all-in-one. Great episode and hated to see him go. Has me really concerned for Kim. She's going to end up in a barrel in the desert.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Yep, poor Nacho. But that was a great way to go out.

I still don't get why Jimmy and Kim are so hellbent on destroying Hamlin's life though. lol 
    Seems like Kim is more into it than Jimmy at this point....maybe that leads to her downfall. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Yep, poor Nacho. But that was a great way to go out.

I still don't get why Jimmy and Kim are so hellbent on destroying Hamlin's life though. lol 
    Seems like Kim is more into it than Jimmy at this point....maybe that leads to her downfall. 

Sandpiper

• Options
    Read an interview of Michael Mando (Nacho) where he made the point that's his final scene is supported by a bunch of dead man walking. We know that everyone of those characters is killed in BB. Nacho was the only character we didnt know the ending to. Pretty crazy.

Also, the more I thought about it, I think that opening scene with the flower and glass in the rain was set in the future, after Nacho's death. Most likely in the Gene timeline. Not sure if there is significance to that.

Also read somewhere about the significance of the color blue and what it means in relation to deaths of characters in the BCS and BB universe.
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    The flower grew where Nacho died
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    I didn’t like the way Nacho went out. I get he figured he was a dead man anyway and he was trying to protect his dad. But still didn’t like it. He also died protecting everyone who screwed him over and tried to kill him. Turn the gun on Gus and go out in a blaze of glory or something. Or start a new life somewhere. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    mace1229 said:
    I didn’t like the way Nacho went out. I get he figured he was a dead man anyway and he was trying to protect his dad. But still didn’t like it. He also died protecting everyone who screwed him over and tried to kill him. Turn the gun on Gus and go out in a blaze of glory or something. Or start a new life somewhere. 
    Well....Breaking Bad would've been a whole hell of a lot different, to say the least, had that happened. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    forgot it was on last night (was watching the sixers game). so i just watched it today. Pretty good episode, much slower paced than last week's.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    mace1229 said:

That was the best possible way for him to go out. If he tries to run, the murder twins catch him and make his death miserable. 
    Can't turn on Gus because he gave him his word, through Mike, that his dad was safe. There's also that whole Breaking Bad show that Gus was prominent in.