Options

Regal and other theatres pull "The Interview"

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Idris wrote: »
    Jason P wrote: »
    Even Obama is calling Sony out for being a bunch of wussies.

"I wish [Sony] had spoken to me first. I would have told them do not get into a pattern where you're intimidated by these kinds of criminal attacks."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-sony-made-a-mistake-2014-12#ixzz3MNHm341X

What do you mean 'even'...Obama? Cause Obama is a wuss himself?...So, 'even obama (a wuss) is calling sony out for being 'wussies'.

No. I wasn't slamming Mr. Obama. He said what a POTUS should have said.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    rgambs wrote: »
    I cant believe this thread is still going and some folks are so passionate about such a silly topic...meanwhile the banksters screwed us again and....crickets....

I don't think that a hermit nation imposing will against the first amendment is silly. It sets a precedent as noted with the Billy Madison reference above.
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Ah, alright. Too bad. I like to see war criminal hypocrites called out.
    -
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Once again, I don't live in a bubble. I don't care if it's a good or a bad movie. This isn't the first movie ever made about killing world leader. Bowing down to terrorists is the absurd part of this. Its just a movie.

• Options
    You do. Because you think that you can imply a message whether offensive or not, and hide behind the "it's a movie" excuse. There's messages everywhere, regardless if they're in a fictional movie, an advertisement, or in a joke (or anywhere else for that matter). And this one just happened to be about the death of the wrong guy.
  • Options
    Once again, I don't live in a bubble. I don't care if it's a good or a bad movie. This isn't the first movie ever made about killing world leader. Bowing down to terrorists is the absurd part of this. Its just a movie.

Yep!
    -
    But not sure about that last point of yours,

Bowing down to terrorists is the absurd part of this. Its just a movie.

I mean, today at work I came across many many many people talking about this, "how dare they not show the movie" "the terrorists won!"...I mean come on,

NSA spying, Patriot act, all in the guise of protecting our freedoms, we stay fairly silent, but touch our mindless cinema...'oh helllzzz no!'

Just, funny to me. Maybe more sad than funny. (Most of my post was general and not directed towards you 'Last-12)

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    You do. Because you think that you can imply a message whether offensive or not, and hide behind the "it's a movie" excuse. There's messages everywhere, regardless if they're in a fictional movie, an advertisement, or in a joke (or anywhere else for that matter). And this one just happened to be about the death of the wrong guy.

Actually it is about the death of the right guy. Are you telling me we can't say anything or do anything here in this country that might offend that crazy little piece of shit? Why are we worried about the dear leader's feelings? Sony doesn't speak for us anyway. Had Sony actually released the movie, we could have agreed or disagreed with their decision by choosing whether or not we saw it.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Anyone know Kim-Jongs 10 club #.Cmon You know he has one.Hell he's friends with Rodman.I personally think he should get the ban.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jeffbr wrote: »

Are you telling me we can't say anything or do anything here in this country that might offend that crazy little piece of shit? Why are we worried about the dear leader's feelings? Sony doesn't speak for us anyway. Had Sony actually released the movie, we could have agreed or disagreed with their decision by choosing whether or not we saw it.

Absolutely!
  • Options

Actually it is about the death of the right guy. Are you telling me we can't say anything or do anything here in this country that might offend that crazy little piece of shit? Why are we worried about the dear leader's feelings? Sony doesn't speak for us anyway. Had Sony actually released the movie, we could have agreed or disagreed with their decision by choosing whether or not we saw it.

Good God. Reread the entire thread, I'm not going to go around in circles with another one.
  • Options
    rr165892 wrote: »
    Anyone know Kim-Jongs 10 club #.Cmon You know he has one.Hell he's friends with Rodman.I personally think he should get the ban.

If he's in the ten club, half this board may get banned for breaking the rules...Bummer.
  • Options

Good God. Reread the entire thread, I'm not going to go around in circles with another one.

I've followed this since the first post. You started on the very 1st page, and have continued since to have some irrational fear of upsetting the lil' fella. Of course we don't live in a bubble, but I also don't live in a place where I spend any time worry about Kim Jong Il. He's a wacky dictator, who will do whatever he wants for whatever reasons pop into his funny looking head. To base our actions on fear about his emotional instability makes no sense to me. You seem to be very passionate about not hurting his feelings, but I just don't understand why. I couldn't give 2 shits about the guy other than using him as the butt of jokes.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited December 2014

I've followed this since the first post. You started on the very 1st page, and have continued since to have some irrational fear of upsetting the lil' fella. Of course we don't live in a bubble, but I also don't live in a place where I spend any time worry about Kim Jong Il. He's a wacky dictator, who will do whatever he wants for whatever reasons pop into his funny looking head. To base our actions on fear about his emotional instability makes no sense to me. You seem to be very passionate about not hurting his feelings, but I just don't understand why. I couldn't give 2 shits about the guy other than using him as the butt of jokes.

Amen. To be honest, by the same absurd logic presented back in page one, we should all be afraid for the things we've posted about the lunatic.

Without further ado, here's my abridged script for a satirical movie about Kim Jong-un's assassination.

Kim Jong-un: "America is very bad. Kimchi is VERY GREAT!"

Me: "Kimchi is NOT very great! Kim Jong-un, prepare to die." **trigger gunfire sound effects. Shoots Kim Jong-un.**

Kim Jong-un: "Gaaaahhhhh!!! I'm dying!" *Kim Jong-un proceeds to die.

Me: "Don't worry America. Now kimchi will never make it here as a mainstream condiment!"

**roll credits**

See? Once again - I wasn't struck down by lightning, nor bombed.

Like the movie - in bad taste? Most likely. Necessary of withholding? Hell no.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited December 2014
    Never mind. I'll go talk to more open minded and intelligent people.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options

I live in a bubble because I think I can imply what's offensive? Thats insane. That's not at all what I'm saying. I could care less that it offends anybody. How many movies have been made that has offended somebody? Bowing to terrorist is the offensive aspect of this entire story. Now, anytime these hackers, or NK doesn't like a movie Sony is releasing, they will threaten Sony with more attacks. Fuck them. Release the movie. There won't be any 9/11 style attacks. Even the great Kim Jong knows that wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    You're all idiots not seeing my point.

:-B Must be the glasses I'm wearing.

I'm trying to enter a lottery for tickets to an early screening of benjs' epic Kimchi mockumentary. =D>
  • Options
    And they won't release that movie. You can bet on that.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    So now people who don't agree with you are close minded and unintelligent? That seems pretty umm....close minded...
  • Options
    So now people who don't agree with you are close minded and unintelligent? That seems pretty umm....close minded...

Refusing to see someone else's point is closed mindedness. Any idiot would see that implying assassination of a living and unstable world leader isn't very smart. Nor is it using any common sense.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Oh the irony
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I'm trying to enter a lottery for tickets to an early screening of benjs' epic Kimchi mockumentary. =D>
    I'm with ya :-$

backseat - I thought you were above name-calling. Disagreeing isn't being close-minded and certainly not idiotic.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    I like how open minded somehow = intelligent.

I'm getting in line for the Kimchi Showdown.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

Sounds like it will be pretty short. We can probably fit in several showings before the theatre blows up.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

I've got $50 that says it will be released in some form or another. PPV, Straight to DVD, possibly theatres.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Never mind. I'll go talk to more open minded and intelligent people.

I'm still not sure how reiterating your point nearly verbatim time and time again while people explain to you how your premises are flawed - then refuse to counter them - somehow leaves us as the dumb, closed-minded people.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

I've got $50 that says it will be released in some form or another. PPV, Straight to DVD, possibly theatres.

See how everyone makes money in this?
    What a fantastic marketing scheme.
    I've got your $50 that says this will be premiered in a most grandiose setting.
  • Options

See how everyone makes money in this?
    What a fantastic marketing scheme.
    I've got your $50 that says this will be premiered in a most grandiose setting.

Sounds like we are betting.on the same thing.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Wait, Bens making a movie? I don't give a fuck what it's about, I want to go. Put me on the list Ben, I'll bring the nuggs buddy.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    How will the movie industry handle the next threat from this point forward ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I watched an interesting piece on the news about the whole Salmon Rushdie thing in the 80's. The major book stores in the U.S. refused to sell his book because of the threats that were made. It didn't take long for people to come to their senses and decide the leader of Iran wasn't going to dictate what the American public were going to consume. I imagine it won't take long for a similar response to this.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on