Options

Regal and other theatres pull "The Interview"

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Eh don't think Kim is insane.

Movie pulled from distribution.

My quote feature not working so in response to Last12 post bout let them try 9/11 act on us. Ha. Right. Not that I condone violence.

There are many many skits making fun if Kim and his daddy.

We should not censor. Think N Korea has more juicy stuff about Sony though.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Jason P wrote: »
    Smellyman wrote: »
    Trey Parker wouldn't wuss out.

I'm so ronrey........

Edit: Oops..point already made
    Has Southpark already made a parody of what is happening between Sony and North Korea? I haven't watch much of it this year but I imagine they would have by now.

South Park's season finale was Dec 10th this year, so they haven't. But they did do a similar thing for their 200th/201st episode, poking fun at mohammed, and they had to sensor that heavily because of threats...

THere is a clip about violence and how threatening violence allows them to win.. It's pretty much exactly what happened here.. https://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ka3nKBR2mIU&feature=youtu.be
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Fuck you, James Franco.

th?id=HN.608043300792567207&pid=15.1&P=0
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2014
    Jason your on a roll. Hahaha. And comment on baseball players from Cuba.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    MayDay10 wrote: »
    hedonist wrote: »

I put the burden of stupidity on the reaction of NK.

Yep.

I still can't believe that a movie (yes, a fucking movie) has led to all of this. Whether you agree with the subject of the movie is irrelevant. They are being censored based on the reactions of an insane dictator.

Key word being INSANE. What were they thinking?

So I guess every decision we make in the U.S. should be made with every crazy leader's opinions and feelings being kept in mind?

This just feels like a slipper slope to me. Now people can't even make movies about whatever subject they want? If it starts there, where will it end?

Free speech is important… but so is class and intelligence and knowing whom not to mess with.

So I guess we should pick and choose our spots when free speech is appropriate? Just seems wrong to me.

It's still amazing to me that this has been taken so seriously. Is North Korea really going to bomb thousands of movie theaters all across the country over the subject matter of a silly comedy? Why North Korea is even acknowledged is a mystery to me let alone what they think about an American movie.

This is not a case of 'free speech'. The US Government or any local/state government did not ban the movie or imprison the creators.

This is a business decision by Regal, etc. There are credible threats out there to some degree. If they press ahead and show it and just 1 theater gets attacked (may not even be NK at that point could just be a local wacko now) then that previously successful and large company is completely done other than endless investigation and litigation. For what? Another unfunny Rogan/Franco flick that wont even net much money? Easy as that.

Sony seeing the writing on the wall wisely pulled the movie, adding to the hype and some sort of decent dvd/etc type release in the future. Probably will do much better than if they just showed it in theaters.

This is not America backing down, we do not lose the dick measuring contest.

I know the government didn't shut this down, but it still feels like a free speech issue. And it sure feels like we're backing down and losing the dick measuring contest to some little jerkoff from NK.

I think this is just Sony being afraid of what else these hackers will release. Like someone else said in this thread, how fucked up is it that Sony can get hacked like that??? Crazy.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    edited December 2014
    Good think Saddam didn't employ any cyber terrorists. Imagine the blow back on Charlie Sheen for those Hot films?

http://youtu.be/1lJ8n2xSGno

/sarcasm
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited December 2014
    A couple points and the quotes are being a pain the ass so I am sorry.

There have been no credible threats against movie theaters, the only thing that has and will happen is the hacking shit they have been doing.

I don't think South park censored themselves over the Mohammad cartoon, I believe comedy central did. (Could be wrong)

I agree Sony pulling the movie is more about protecting themselves from more hacked info being released, not about safety one bit. When was the last time fundamentalist North Koreans launched a terror attack?

This whole thing is ridiculous and censoring art/entertainment because of what some oppressive dictator thinks is absurd. That being said, I'm sure it's a steaming pile of poo of a movie and I wouldn't pay to see it.

If something good can come of this, maybe companies will start taking cyber security a little more seriously. A big problem a lot of these companies have is, they work around and disable important functions of their firewalls for the sake of network speed and efficiency.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Since North Korea has essentially made Sony its bitch, here's hoping they next demand the return of Spider-Man's film rights to Marvel.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Hahaha
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    IMO this isnt a case of censorship. Its a business decision by various theater companies to mitigate risk. Someone (who hacked Sony) essentially called in a bomb threat to one or more of 1,000s of movie theaters. It doesnt make business sense to take that risk and show this dumb movie.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/alamo-drafthouse-team-america_n_6345156.html

Alamo Drafthouse In Dallas/Fort Worth To Show 'Team America' Instead Of 'The Interview'

Sony may have pulled "The Interview" in wake of hacker threats, but at least one movie theater isn't letting North Korea off the hook. The Alamo Drafthouse is planning to run "Team America: World Police" in its place at its Dallas/Forth Worth location.

"We're just trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation," creative manager and programmer James Wallace of the Richardson, Tex., theater told The Hollywood Reporter.

The 2004 musical by "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone features an all-puppet cast, with a puppet version of North Korea's then-dictator Kim Jong Il as its foul-mouthed main villain.
    (Continued in link)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    JimmyV wrote: »
    Since North Korea has essentially made Sony its bitch, here's hoping they next demand the return of Spider-Man's film rights to Marvel.

And that they stop letting Adam Sandler make movies...
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    FrankieG wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/alamo-drafthouse-team-america_n_6345156.html

Alamo Drafthouse In Dallas/Fort Worth To Show 'Team America' Instead Of 'The Interview'

Sony may have pulled "The Interview" in wake of hacker threats, but at least one movie theater isn't letting North Korea off the hook. The Alamo Drafthouse is planning to run "Team America: World Police" in its place at its Dallas/Forth Worth location.

"We're just trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation," creative manager and programmer James Wallace of the Richardson, Tex., theater told The Hollywood Reporter.

The 2004 musical by "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone features an all-puppet cast, with a puppet version of North Korea's then-dictator Kim Jong Il as its foul-mouthed main villain.
    (Continued in link)

Awesome. Every cinema should do this.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    This whole thing is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,970
    I would bet a million bucks that some producer saw this coming and suggested that they make this about a fictional character that might just happen to look/act like KJ rather than the actual person.

Bad idea...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    To provoke a dictator of another country by suggesting assassination, in a society already riddled with world-wide terrorism, through a bad comedy movie obviously is the WRONG move.

This isn't about kidding around, stupid movie antics. Sony movies are messing with a real life dictator and you'd think they'd know that before filming. We don't live in a safe world anymore, we all know that. This just makes America look even more stupid than we already are. They could have been careful… But then, the scene they chose to use for publicity purposes? It was the scene with the woman suggesting to Seth Rogan and the other guy that they "take the leader of N. Korea out". And they respond? "What, we take him out… to dinner?" And so on. Just so stupid on their part.

We live a bubble here in this 1st world country. When we mess with other countries' leaders, even though it's supposed to be in jest, doesn't mean that they take it in jest.

wow.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Mark my words, this movie WILL BE released and shatter box office records. Sony, what an awesome PR move.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I'm late to this discussion - it's a busy time of year - but I can see bsl12's point. Sometimes it seems to me that this whole idea of "I can say whatever the hell I want and who gives a flying f**k what you think about it!" is a big part of the reason why the world is the way it is. This applies to little issues in our day to day lives and big issues on the world stage. I don't personally care about this movie, and I would think that any offense taken about it would be overblown, but it isn't all about what I think, or what the rest of us on this board think.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    badbrains wrote: »
    Mark my words, this movie WILL BE released and shatter box office records. Sony, what an awesome PR move.

I believe it, bb. Just look at all the attention out there. You couldn't ask for a better marketing scheme.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

agreed !

Godfather.

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    To provoke a dictator of another country by suggesting assassination, in a society already riddled with world-wide terrorism, through a bad comedy movie obviously is the WRONG move.

This isn't about kidding around, stupid movie antics. Sony movies are messing with a real life dictator and you'd think they'd know that before filming. We don't live in a safe world anymore, we all know that. This just makes America look even more stupid than we already are. They could have been careful… But then, the scene they chose to use for publicity purposes? It was the scene with the woman suggesting to Seth Rogan and the other guy that they "take the leader of N. Korea out". And they respond? "What, we take him out… to dinner?" And so on. Just so stupid on their part.

We live a bubble here in this 1st world country. When we mess with other countries' leaders, even though it's supposed to be in jest, doesn't mean that they take it in jest.

wow.

Assassinated by talk show hosts!!!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Brian, I can almost guarantee you that they had a meeting about this (sony) and they came up with this shtick for PR. People get paid HEAVILY to come up with PR ideas and someone just got a HUGE raise in the wallet and a HUGE raise in his pants.
  • Options
    I'm late to this discussion - it's a busy time of year - but I can see bsl12's point. Sometimes it seems to me that this whole idea of "I can say whatever the hell I want and who gives a flying f**k what you think about it!" is a big part of the reason why the world is the way it is. This applies to little issues in our day to day lives and big issues on the world stage. I don't personally care about this movie, and I would think that any offense taken about it would be overblown, but it isn't all about what I think, or what the rest of us on this board think.

Bingo.
  • Options
    If it was just because of a threat, maybe so. But Sony Pictures is pretty much fucked for the next several years across the board due to the cyber attack. Lots of bridges are already burning and it's just the tip of the iceberg of the amount of material that was stolen.

50 scripts alone were leaked online today.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    Brian, I can almost guarantee you that they had a meeting about this (sony) and they came up with this shtick for PR. People get paid HEAVILY to come up with PR ideas and someone just got a HUGE raise in the wallet and a HUGE raise in his pants.

Yeah, it's almost funny. I'd love to see a parody of this with a couple of these Sony reps played by Keith Morris and Henry Rollins, and starring H.R. as Kim screaming and doing crazy shit. yFJzr0B.gif

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    brianlux wrote: »

I believe it, bb. Just look at all the attention out there. You couldn't ask for a better marketing scheme.

I would buy that if it was Sony pulling the movie. But the theatres were refusing to play it. Sony can't be in bed with ALL of those companies.
  • Options
    I wonder what world problem story is getting covered up because of this one?
  • Options
    The collapse of the Russian economy.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited December 2014

Fracking being banned in NYS. But that's not a problem story that's an actual rare solution story being covered up. (and not surprisingly)
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    I was reading the latest Rolling Stone last night with Seth Rogan on the cover. He and the other guy (don't remember his name) actually wrote the film, and why? Because he didn't want to just write another stoner comedy, he wanted to write about something involving current events. I hope he's happy with the turnout.

What an idiot.