Regal and other theatres pull "The Interview"

Comments

• backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited December 2014
    hedonist wrote: »
    I don't know, would you make a movie about "taking out" Putin? How do you think he'd take it?

I would if I had a good idea, and might not give more than a shit about that bad boy's feelings :smile:

A powerful dictator who has access to start a world war is more than likely not to be messed with. (sorry :))
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    edited December 2014

I put the burden of stupidity on the reaction of NK.

Yep.

I still can't believe that a movie (yes, a fucking movie) has led to all of this. Whether you agree with the subject of the movie is irrelevant. They are being censored based on the reactions of an insane dictator.

Key word being INSANE. What were they thinking?

So I guess every decision we make in the U.S. should be made with every crazy leader's opinions and feelings being kept in mind?

This just feels like a slippery slope to me. Now people can't even make movies about whatever subject they want? If it starts there, where will it end?
    Post edited by Indifference71 on

• hedonist wrote: »

Yep.

I still can't believe that a movie (yes, a fucking movie) has led to all of this. Whether you agree with the subject of the movie is irrelevant. They are being censored based on the reactions of an insane dictator.

So I guess every decision we make in the U.S. should be made with every crazy leader's opinions and feelings being kept in mind?

This just feels like a slipper slope to me. Now people can't even make movies about whatever subject they want? If it starts there, where will it end?

Ugh, yeah, if you want to keep peace somewhat in our country from the insanity of a dangerous man. It's a no-brainer. Don't we already live in a dangerous society? Hell, I'm afraid of the cops. Now that's bad enough. We shouldn't be messing with the idea of assassinating dangerous world leaders. Free speech is important… but so is class and intelligence and knowing whom not to mess with.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited December 2014

Yep.

This just feels like a slipper slope to me. Now people can't even make movies about whatever subject they want? If it starts there, where will it end?
    *edit - backseat (sorry! must've had Springsteen on the brain in typing "backstreet") I think this is key.

And if these people up in arms are doing so over (again) A MOVIE, maybe they have bigger fish to focus on frying.
    Post edited by hedonist on

Yep.

Ugh, yeah, if you want to keep peace somewhat in our country from the insanity of a dangerous man. It's a no-brainer. Don't we already live in a dangerous society? Hell, I'm afraid of the cops. Now that's bad enough. We shouldn't be messing with the idea of assassinating dangerous world leaders. Free speech is important… but so is class and intelligence and knowing whom not to mess with.
    But, making a stupid movie is in no way tantamount to actually messing with anyone.
  • hedonist wrote: »

Yep.

backstreet, I think this is key.

And if these people up in arms are doing so over (again) A MOVIE, maybe they have bigger fish to focus on frying.

I didn't say to make a law about it. How about just being smart about what you're making a movie about?

Yep.

Free speech is important… but so is class and intelligence and knowing whom not to mess with.

So I guess we should pick and choose our spots when free speech is appropriate? Just seems wrong to me.

It's still amazing to me that this has been taken so seriously. Is North Korea really going to bomb thousands of movie theaters all across the country over the subject matter of a silly comedy? Why North Korea is even acknowledged is a mystery to me let alone what they think about an American movie.
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited December 2014

Yep.

But, making a stupid movie is in no way tantamount to actually messing with anyone.

They are IMPLYING ASSASSINATION in the movie. I actually can understand how a dangerous, insane leader juts MIGHT take a bit offense to that and pull out all the stops with the country making the movie.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on

Yep.

They are IMPLYING ASSASSINATION.

It's a movie. It is not real. Who gives a shit what they are implying? All sorts of crazy things are implied in movies.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    edited December 2014
    All I'm gonna say is that if anyone made a movie where they were implying to murder me, I'd be SUPER PISSED. Comedy or not, implying to murder someone can cause some crazy reactions by people. I mean, let's not forget that we INVADED fucken Iraq in 2003 because one of the reasons was some "maddas" Arab threatened to assassinate a leader from the good old u s of a.

U guys forget already? I know some of you could've been a bit younger and not remember, but that shit happened.
    Post edited by badbrains on

Yep.

backstreet, I think this is key.

I didn't say to make a law about it. How about just being smart about what you're making a movie about?

But that is a rarity. We're talking about a narcissistic and ego-driven industry...which has been embraced and encouraged for years.

To focus on this idiocy now because of a pouty childman and his minions?

I don't take well to tantrums from children, let alone adults!
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

Yep.

They are IMPLYING ASSASSINATION in the movie. I actually can understand how a dangerous, insane leader juts MIGHT take a bit offense to that and pull out all the stops with the country making the movie.

Whiny fucking adolescent baby. (North Korea's leader, not you backseat)
  • badbrains wrote: »
    All I'm gonna say is that if anyone made a movie where they were implying to murder me, I'd be SUPER PISSED. Comedy or not, implying to murder someone can cause some crazy reactions by people. I mean, let's not forget that we INVADED fucken Iraq in 2003 because one of the reasons was some "maddas" Arab threatened to assassinate a leader from the good old u s of a.

U guys forget already? I know some of you could've been a bit younger and not remember, but that shit happened.

Thank you for seeing my point.
    badbrains wrote: »

But you're a regular good guy, BB. You're nowhere near KimJong-Il-Un territory. And even if pissed the fuck off, I doubt you'd take these kind of actions or make these kinds of threats.

I'm sure we can all come up with similar films, documentaries and the like that have been as ludicrous or exposing or stark as this silly movie.

No backlash of this sort...nor defense of backing off and keeping quiet.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    It's a Movie,Its a Movie,Its a Fucking Stoner comedy.
    First who the fuck cares if Kim-Jong Dosent like it.Fuck him if he can't take a joke.
    Second who sees a comedy or any work of comedic fiction and takes it seriously.(You have seen snakes on a plane right?)

The issue here Isnt the Movie or the publicity or the Threat.The real issue is with the big ass,very deep Hack these guys pulled off.What other breaches can be expected? Why Sony? This has more scare power then some juvenile threat to a theatre on Xmas.A real wake up call hopefully to those who safeguard the senses active info on our webs.
    rr165892 wrote: »
    Remember the death threats over South Park talking about Muhammad?Same stupid overreaction.......Or is it a perfectly orchestrated PR move to totally generate Buzz for the flick.Im gunna say the latter.Well done Sony.You probably increased box office sales opening weekend by 10-20 million.
    rr, I was just thinking about those guys.

Which in return made me think of the Mel Gibson,Mormon church,Jesus, and Tom Cruise episodes.I may need to partake in some viewing.A Refresher if you will.
    Nothing happened when this came out. It has come full circle. Seth Rogan is riding coattails.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Rhdwqjc1k

I knew it was out before.Couldnt remember what movie.thx
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    One less dumb American movie won't hurt my feelings (there are plenty of GOOD films out there to watch) but for those who want to see it, don't worry- copies will find their way on to DVD and flippers and pirates will have a field day.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    ........good grief, this Kim un Junk guy is a total mental basket case I think the whole world see's that and I just read this morning the hacking was linked to NK ....stupid little fucker is going to get him self in some serious trouble, he's made an ass of him self from day 1 and hasn't got tired of doing so yet, maybe the next president wont feel like putting up with his shit.

Godfather.
  • How many movies have we lived with where 'Merica wins in Vietnam???? If the world can live with that BS, we should be able to live with this movie.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• The leader of NK is slightly off, no? He's friends with Dennis Rodman. C'mon.
    I do remember South Park having sadam Hussein being a gay lover to Satan.
    I also remember propaganda cartoons with bugs bunny and very patriotic comic books with Hitler.
    Remember that Kim Jung likes to saber rattle.
    Remember the threats that sadam made? How'd those work out?
    Just sayin'.
    Like Aaron Rodgers said "five letters, R-E-L-A-X"...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Scary that a company like Sony, one of the world leaders in technology, can be breached by a country that lives life in a shitty 60's soviet era sitcom. A good reason to never store your personal information online.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    These Sony execs are just trying to stop the bleeding on these leaks. What a bunch of wimps. They new the subject matter when they were making the movie and now it's a problem. There's offensive shit all over the world. I'm glad short people aren't upset with the new Hobbit coming out.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    At least we know that even Sony realizes that Adam Sandler has been chucking out horse turds for the last 15 year. Profitable horse turds, but horse turds none the less.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited December 2014
    Trey Parker wouldn't wuss out.

I'm so ronrey........

Edit: Oops..point already made
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604

Yep.

Free speech is important… but so is class and intelligence and knowing whom not to mess with.

So I guess we should pick and choose our spots when free speech is appropriate? Just seems wrong to me.

It's still amazing to me that this has been taken so seriously. Is North Korea really going to bomb thousands of movie theaters all across the country over the subject matter of a silly comedy? Why North Korea is even acknowledged is a mystery to me let alone what they think about an American movie.

This is not a case of 'free speech'. The US Government or any local/state government did not ban the movie or imprison the creators.

This is a business decision by Regal, etc. There are credible threats out there to some degree. If they press ahead and show it and just 1 theater gets attacked (may not even be NK at that point could just be a local wacko now) then that previously successful and large company is completely done other than endless investigation and litigation. For what? Another unfunny Rogan/Franco flick that wont even net much money? Easy as that.

Sony seeing the writing on the wall wisely pulled the movie, adding to the hype and some sort of decent dvd/etc type release in the future. Probably will do much better than if they just showed it in theaters.

This is not America backing down, we do not lose the dick measuring contest.
    Smellyman wrote: »
    Trey Parker wouldn't wuss out.

I'm so ronrey........

Edit: Oops..point already made
    Has Southpark already made a parody of what is happening between Sony and North Korea? I haven't watch much of it this year but I imagine they would have by now.