124»

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

Imagine a world with no assholes.

WINNER
    that show I interpret the song.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-wkv8gW6k

You are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You are not your fucking khakis.
    I'm not passing judgement or saying I don't fall into the trap myself, but MANY, many people think that they are what they own.

I get it.

Thanks to my parents for teaching / demonstrating to me that character and integrity trump the material. Especially valuable being born and living in LA.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

To clarify things, this is my opinion of the song and why I feel the way I do about (thanks brianlux)

The world and ideas of the song Imagine when I really think about it, is a scary world. It's a world where we all agree on everything. I know people will say that's a rather large generalization. But imagining no religion, no boarders, no possessions are very large generalizations in themselves. Expecially if you you actually think of what each of those really are. Religion = personal choice to believe in anything they choose. Boarders = security. Your home, what makes you feel secure. Possessions = your things. The things that you work hard for to acquire. Goes beyond
    consumables, to things you want and you save for. The world of imagine being absent of these just three things, leaves us with what? It strikes me as a scary state to live in. I feel much more is lost in that society than is achieved.

Why over analyze the song ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,052
    Peace, man!
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    I lost my khakis, experienced an extreme existential crisis, became the straight jacket that I was for years and then re-entered the world naked and free.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    put some clothes on for petes sake, this is a family forum!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Damn you all and your khakis. I've now got that Seinfeld in my head with the cotton fucking dockers.
    hedonist said:

Damn you all and your khakis. I've now got that Seinfeld in my head with the cotton fucking dockers.

Don't remember that one. Dockers, perma-press shirts and Bic pens. God help us!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Jerry: (Looks at his pants) Tan pants. Why do I buy tan pants, Donna? I don't feel comfortable in them.

Donna: Are those Cotton Dockers?

Jerry: Oh, I can't begin to tell you how much I hate that commercial.

Donna: Really? I like that commercial. (Jerry pauses)

Jerry: You like that commercial?

Donna: Yeah, it's clever.

Jerry: Now wait a second, you mean the one where the guys are all standing around, supposedly being very casual and witty?

Donna: Yeah, that's the one.

Jerry: What could you possibly like about that?

Donna: I don't know, I like the guys.

Jerry: Yeah, they're so funny and so comfortable with each other, and I could be comfortable too, if I had pants like that. I could sit on a porch and wrestle around, and maybe even be part of a real bull session.

Donna: Hey, I know guys like that. To me the dialogue rings true.

Jerry: (Shrugs. Pause) Even if the dialogue did ring true. Even if somehow somewhere men actually talk like that, what does that have to do with the pants? Doesn't that bother you?

Donna: (Increasingly annoyed) That's the idea. That's what's clever about it, that they're not talking about the pants.

Jerry: But they're talking about nothing.

Donna: That's the point.

Jerry: I know the point.

Donna: No one is telling you to like it.

Jerry: I mean, all those quick shots of the pants, just pants, pants,,pants, pants, pants, pants, pants. What is that supposed to be?
    ^^^ pants, just pants, pants,,pants, pants, pants, pants, pants :-))

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    edited October 2014
    I don't have the energy to get too into it, but my biggest takeaway from the song Imagine is the concept of worldwide Atheism. Not worldwide non-spiritualism, but a world without religion (necessitating Atheism btw - no such thing as no religion and belief in god - humans can't manage that). It's this concept that makes me think that Lennon was really onto something. I hope someday..... because it would go so far to get closer to peace. After that, we'd all.have to address the greed problem. X_X
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    JWPearl said:

I think the world can live in peace like a musical masterpiece or heaps of them , harmoniously composed with no chaotic mess ups, yes I can imagine it a possibility, there's an old dance song I don't really like but it's true "" rhythm is a dancer"" by Snap when things turn out nicely you never say I could get sick of this, just like you don't get sick of your meals,shit and sleep each day.. That's my 2 bob

sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-wkv8gW6k

You are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You are not your fucking khakis.
    I'm not passing judgement or saying I don't fall into the trap myself, but MANY, many people think that they are what they own.

I disagree with that because , your car,money,khaki pants or someone elses all contribute to what your doing, whether its going to a show, or your first ride with mates to see your girlfriend etc, all contributes to harmony and rhythm, i think,
    but the theory of who you are is what essentially matters, if thats what you mean then I'd agree with you totally