Imagine, really imagine what the world would be

Comments

• I love diversity. I love not agreeing with my friends on things and having conversations about them. I'm afraid of a world in which we all just agree. I don't think that's that hard to imagine. Take away the romance of Lennon writing the song, and now Eddie covering it, and seriously think about the lyrics. I know that won't happen, but imagine depicts a world I don't think any of you people woukd like
  • rgambs said:

I don't understand how you make the quantum leap from everyone living in peace to everyone being the same and there being no disagreement at all?

Do you know the song? No leap.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I love diversity. I love not agreeing with my friends on things and having conversations about them. I'm afraid of a world in which we all just agree. I don't think that's that hard to imagine. Take away the romance of Lennon writing the song, and now Eddie covering it, and seriously think about the lyrics. I know that won't happen, but imagine depicts a world I don't think any of you people woukd like

That's the problem here, it's the lyrics that you are stretching. Your imagination is running wild and leaving the lyrics behind. It's "Nothing to kill or die for", not "Nothing to disagree about"
    "And no religion too" not "and nothing to believe in". You don't think John believed in the power of music and altruism??
    "No need for greed or hunger" not "you have to use the same toothbrush"

You are stretching like a yoga instructor...please illuminate us as to how the lyrics break down into us all being automatons
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited October 2014

Do you ever reply with a real answer or just an entrenchment?

rgambs said:

I don't understand how you make the quantum leap from everyone living in peace to everyone being the same and there being no disagreement at all?

Post edited by rgambs on
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    In addition to what rgambs said... If ever there was a song which indicated that it should not be taken as 100% literal, it's probably one called "Imagine".
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,052
    edited October 2014
    If you're getting a 1984, Brave New World-y, The Hunger Games, Obamacare death panel type of dystopia from the lyrics of John Lennon's Imagine, I'm going out on a limb and saying you're in the minority. Good luck with that argument. To me, it doesn't make sense.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    benjs said:

In addition to what rgambs said... If ever there was a song which indicated that it should not be taken as 100% literal, it's probably one called "Imagine".

Yes there is such a thing as art, and it is different from essays which are taken literally...golly geez
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited October 2014
    All songs are open for individual interpretation, of course. But John Lennon did NOT intend it to mean anything that the OP thinks it does.

Open you mind, man, instead of closing it completely. Which you are doing.
    rgambs said:

That's the problem here, it's the lyrics that you are stretching. Your imagination is running wild and leaving the lyrics behind. It's "Nothing to kill or die for", not "Nothing to disagree about"
    "And no religion too" not "and nothing to believe in". You don't think John believed in the power of music and altruism??
    "No need for greed or hunger" not "you have to use the same toothbrush"

/\/\/\ This /\/\/\

• What I find humorus is I've listened to the song. Many many times. Great song. Great idea. Great melody. But when I imagine the world that is described, it's a world I don't want to live in. It's my opinion. It's what I take from the song. Imagine someone interpreting a song, a bit different from you? Are you going to argue, or just shake their hand?
    edited October 2014
    "Imagine" John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one
    And the world will live as one

Sounds miserable. Fuck that shit.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • You are picking and choosing what is in depth vs what's just a line. It's picking and choosing. Seem some just fit the lyrics around their beliefs? "Oh yea, no religion. But hey, no possessions? C'mon he didn't really mean no possesions". I find many of these replies and peoples arguments here hilarious.

It's amazing what fans/self appointed intellects/ and people that just argue things will ignore and standby.

What I find humorus is I've listened to the song. Many many times. Great song. Great idea. Great melody. But when I imagine the world that is described, it's a world I don't want to live in. It's my opinion. It's what I take from the song. Imagine someone interpreting a song, a bit different from you? Are you going to argue, or just shake their hand?

I'm going to argue, then shake their hand
    when we have said our piece. Not going to slug 'em and go to war. Sounds like there is room for this in Imagine.
  • rgambs said:

What I find humorus is I've listened to the song. Many many times. Great song. Great idea. Great melody. But when I imagine the world that is described, it's a world I don't want to live in. It's my opinion. It's what I take from the song. Imagine someone interpreting a song, a bit different from you? Are you going to argue, or just shake their hand?

when we have said our piece. Not going to slug 'em and go to war. Sounds like there is room for this in Imagine.
    Yea, I was kind of thinking man, that's actually a pretty awesome line. Haha
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    benjs said:

:))
    And I thought I was a cynic...
    Even if this song WAS meant literally, it says nothing about taking your possessions, it doesn't say anything about ideology, or about group think. But if anyone points this out to you matts, you get pissy and call them know it alls?

Personally, if I was the only person who saw an issue my way...if not one person agreed with any of the premises I used to form my opinion...I would not continually lash out and double down. But I'm a know it all, so maybe I take basic logic for granted.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    edited October 2014
    rgambs said:

Much to take in throughout the thread, but I like this nutshell. Plus, it doesn't have to (shouldn't be) either/or - argue or become a sycophant, have animosity or hug, etc. There will, thankfully, always be differing views, practices, actions. It's how we choose to deal with them.

Living in peace is in no way equal to complacency or being a bunch of Stepfords.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

But I'm not the only one
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one
    And the world will live as one

I think the "possessions" thing is the root of it all.

we do want for ourselves
    we do want for our families
    we do want for our towns
    our states
    our countries.

If there was another whole world to fight, maybe THEN we'd all get along
    edited October 2014
    either that or let's give away our possessions. then we can talk and not just imagine
    look at everyone up on the porch. "dear Pear Jam, play my favorite song, no play MY favorite song., no play my favorite song PLEEEEAAASSSEEE" All people do is want, want, want. Good luck with that imagined world image
    A brotherhood of man

This too.

In the film "Imagine", there's a scene that struck me from the first time I watched it. A homeless man walks up to Lennon's house (nothing like would happen today - imagine that!), talking to him about his interpretation of one of John's songs. They chat for a bit, then Lennon asks if the man is hungry.

Next scene is the man sitting at John's table (George was there too), sharing a meal with all of them.

edited October 2014
    Possessions does seem to be the hang up, but look where it is in the structure of the song, the hardest pill to swallow comes in the last verse. The more I think about this song, the more I like it. Plus...every time I open the site (in October of 2014) it says IMAGINE with Ed's hand sticking up in a peace sign.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Yep, he says,
    Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
    then
    imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do

but for
    imagine there's no possessions
    he says
    I wonder if you can

......or maybe it just rhymed real good with "man" image
  • rgambs said:

Do you ever reply with a real answer or just an entrenchment?

rgambs said:

I don't know what real answer you want? Yes I know the song?
    Nothing wrong with possessions; we've worked hard for what we have, both needs and (some of) the wants. Not stolen from anyone but earned. They're not my world, but I appreciate them unapologetically.

rollings, I agree with you on the "want want" side of things. I also wonder about the idolization of, say, lots of pop stars who flaunt themselves with all that money can buy. The jewelry, cars, homes...even that stupid bling shit for the teeth. It's ironic, I guess. Maybe hypocritical too.
    where does the song say "no differences"?
  • All songs are open for individual interpretation, of course. But John Lennon did NOT intend it to mean anything that the OP thinks it does.

Open you mind, man, instead of closing it completely. Which you are doing.

I would say I'm more open minded to the song and lyrics than most. Im getting bashed for actually having a different interpretation than others. Yes, I am closed minded...
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    ?what would john do

i was asked this in 2nd or 5th grade. the school bell rang, i ran to the bus & tripped over a bicyclist
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

You are picking and choosing what is in depth vs what's just a line. It's picking and choosing. Seem some just fit the lyrics around their beliefs? "Oh yea, no religion. But hey, no possessions? C'mon he didn't really mean no possesions". I find many of these replies and peoples arguments here hilarious.

It's amazing what fans/self appointed intellects/ and people that just argue things will ignore and standby.

See, I have no problem with your interpreting anything in any way you see fit. It IS "Imagine", right?

It's the kind of response I quoted that's kind of irritating. Not what you say, but to belittle in the process? Not sure why.
  • Possessions does seem to be the hang up, but look where it is in the structure of the song, the hardest pill to swallow comes in the last verse. The more I think about this song, the more I like it. Plus...every time I open the site (in October of 2014) it says IMAGINE with Ed's hand sticking up in a peace sign.

I disagree
    hedonist said:

You are picking and choosing what is in depth vs what's just a line. It's picking and choosing. Seem some just fit the lyrics around their beliefs? "Oh yea, no religion. But hey, no possessions? C'mon he didn't really mean no possesions". I find many of these replies and peoples arguments here hilarious.

See, I have no problem with your interpreting anything in any way you see fit. It IS "Imagine", right?

It's the kind of response I quoted that's kind of irritating. Not what you say, but to belittle in the process? Not sure why.
    I'm not sure the point you are trying to make.