Options

Time to start limiting sticker purchases

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited October 2014

i'm trying to wrap my mind around how buying enough $2 stickers to trade for other $2 stickers is flipping. how else do you complete a sticker set from shows you didn't attend?

What in the world does everyone do with all these stickers?? Just stick them in an drawer? Stick them all over a wall? Not sure how one displays a huge collection of stickers. Do grown ups use photo albums like we did when we were little kids for the scratch n sniffs?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    im buying 23 stickers in Austin- 10 for a non-profit cause, 12 for 7 others, and 1 for me.... fuck you all if you don't like it
  • Options
    i seem to be missing the correlation between an individual's maturity level and collecting stickers...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    so when someone or several others asks you to grab them a sticker or 2, the response should be " sorry, I have to think about the others in line"?? that's ridiculous. I had multiple people I have never met in my life ask me for stickers, and I cant imagine refusing help with a sticker or 2- or 12, period... get a fuckin grip
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

i'm trying to wrap my mind around how buying enough $2 stickers to trade for other $2 stickers is flipping. how else do you complete a sticker set from shows you didn't attend?

What in the world does everyone do with all these stickers?? Just stick them in an drawer? Stick them all over a wall? Not sure how one displays a huge collection of stickers. Do grown ups use photo albums like we did when we were little kids for the scratch n sniffs?
    you have to collect them to find out, eh....
  • Options
    if collecting stickers is childish, as some of you proud parents claim, then what does crying and bitching about stickers constitute? pussies??
  • Options
    Paul-JamPaul-Jam Posts: 136
    mcgruff10 said:

Seriously grown adults are buying more than 20 stickers to trade away? I mean there's 12 shows this tour, how bout limiting it to 12 stickers?

Careful with that word "adult". I was chastised for saying the exact same thing earlier in another post. I was accused of calling people who collect stuff as being "childish". It takes all kinds I guess.
    2006  July-6               Las Vegas
    2006  July-18             San Francisco 3
    2009  October-6         Los Angeles 3
    2013  November-21   San Diego
    2013  November-26   Oakland
    2014  October-22       Denver
    2016  August-5           Fenway 1
    2016  August-7           Fenway 2
    2016  November-11    Temple of The Dog- San Francisco 1
    2018  August-18         Wrigley 1
    2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
  • Options
    how immature of eddie vedder, he puts stickers on his belongings. his kids should be doing that, while he bitches and complains and judges others
  • Options
    foxkids4 said:

People just need to think about others that are attending the shows....they may want 1 or 2, too. The "early bird does get the worm"--but buying an excessive amount of stickers is excessive....I'm assuming the "merch gods" will be setting a limit...

HERE HERE!!!!! let's hope the gods have an ear open.
  • Options

im buying 23 stickers in Austin- 10 for a non-profit cause, 12 for 7 others, and 1 for me.... fuck you all if you don't like it

That's the spirit my good man. you show us all who is boss.
  • Options
    im 36 years young. I have stickers on my car, guitars, guitar cases, amps, snowboards, skateboards, refrigerator, garage walls, and in books like children. we are all different. we don't all long for fresh polo tops and changing shitty diapers....
  • Options
    Paul-Jam said:

im no boss, im just buying 23 stickers
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited October 2014
    I didn't say it was childish btw. I was legitimately asking Wtf people do with them all, and remember that everyone who collected them when I was a kid kept them in photo albums. I have acquired almost no stickers, got a few onto my luggage, a couple more found a place... I'm tapped. I have a guitar but don't want to regret my sticker placement since I'm scared removing them would damage the finish... But it seems like a lot of people must have hundreds and hundreds of them. That's a lot of stickers.
    And yeah, buying up 30 at a time seems really inconsiderate.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Paul-Jam said:

yeah, we get it buddy. your just a speed racin', guitar shred din', half pipe grindin', ollie poppin' dude. Enjoy your 23.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    I listen to stickers all the time. The 2013 Pittsburgh Sticker says some wild shit. You should try it...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I have a pretty super awesome plan for what to do with mine. I have collected the complete BDO set and the complete Europe set. I attended 4/6 BDOs, & 6/12 Europe shows. I kept the wrist bands and tickets that were not the print at home kind. I'm going to put each set in a frame with the ticket & wristband & any other momentos that I choose (like a bookmark or postcard from the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, for example, because I collect those too.) And they're gonna get hung up like art prints or pictures.
    I'm going to do the same with the shows I went to on the east coast last year. I didn't want to collect a whole set because there was just too many.
    I can understand why people think it's childish to collect stickers. When I joined this forum I had a very similar impression of the tour poster collectors. Like most misunderstandings, that was borne out of ignorance. I had no idea the posters were actual artworks, screen printed on thick stock and all that, because I thought posters were the things sold in cellophane wrapped tubes at the back of a store that sells c.d.s., like Coconuts or Tower or whatever else. I think when most people think of stickers they think of the activity books & whatever else where children get them and stick them on your refrigerator as a form of entertainment without realizing they're not really going to stick to it cuz of the texture and they get knocked off and stuck to the floor and stomped on by tiny feet so that by the time they're gone and you see the damage the only way to get that shit off is by sitting there with a scraper being super careful not to scratch the actual floor. Sigh.
    To some extant they are comparable but they're usually bigger than business card size and they're pretty thick, so sticking them on anything is a commitment. I don't own anything I'm that committed to so I'm framing instead. If you still want to think of stickers only as a child's play thing then that's fine. I mean that's basically what people said about baseball cards and comic books and action figures right? You know all the shit that's worth a gazillion dollars now?

I've written this explanation in the interest of understanding because I think most people on here are open minded so I hope I've provided a little insight into the sticker collecting mentality. I do have a question though. What sort of thing are adults allowed to collect? Or are they not allowed to do any collecting because collecting anything at all is way too pokemon for adults? Unless you're retired, then stamps. Outside of the Pearl Jam stickers I also have bookmarks and souvenir penny/coins. Because they're small, they travel well, and they're usually cheap. I've tried to do Christmas ornaments as well but it's no where near as easily done. I am curious what hobbies adults are allowed to have. And how many of them involve alcohol.

This post has nothing at all to do with me waking up at 2am unable to go back to sleep. Honest.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    What does everyone do with their $400 Avacado vinyl they bought? Listen to it to feel smug like you can appreciate that small difference in sound quality when the CD sounds fucking fine? We could question a lot of things but at the end of the day it is about collecting. Some people do it and some people don't.
  • Options

What does everyone do with their $400 Avacado vinyl they bought? Listen to it to feel smug like you can appreciate that small difference in sound quality when the CD sounds fucking fine? We could question a lot of things but at the end of the day it is about collecting. Some people do it and some people don't.

thank you
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    JSBachJSBach Posts: 108
    An alternative solution:

Ten club, add a couple of bucks to the cost of the tickets and put the stickers in the envelope with the tickets... every and each ten club member will have his own sticker and who wants to buy them in bulk can still do it (for profit, non-profit, public and private)...

LK
    Sift everything, hold on to what is good!
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    JSBach said:

An alternative solution:

Ten club, add a couple of bucks to the cost of the tickets and put the stickers in the envelope with the tickets... every and each ten club member will have his own sticker and who wants to buy them in bulk can still do it (for profit, non-profit, public and private)...

LK

This. Or a limit of 10 per person at a time. Need more? You get to ride the line ride again.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547

JSBach said:

An alternative solution:

LK

This. Or a limit of 10 per person at a time. Need more? You get to ride the line ride again.
    I would be for that. Once the band starts playing buy what you want, but before that time put some limits in place (and make sure the vendors stick to it). Unless they just print more stickers...
  • Options
    WhoDeyFanWhoDeyFan Columbus, Ohio Posts: 25
    Agreed! It's getting a bit ridiculous. Anything over 4 or 5 should not be allowed. Don't be greedy, people...

----------------------------
    May 6, 2010 - Nationwide Arena, Columbus, OH
    May 9, 2010 - Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, OH
    July 19, 2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    October 12, 2013 - First Niagara Center, Buffalo, NY
    October 1, 2014 - US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH
    October 5, 2014 - Austin City Limits Music Festival, Austin, TX
    October 16, 2014 - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, MI
    April 26, 2016 - Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
    June 11, 2016 - Bonnaroo Music Festival, Manchester, TN
    August 20, 2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    August 22, 2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    August 8, 2018 - Safeco Field,  Seattle, WA
    August 10, 2018 - Safeco Field, Seattle WA
    August 20, 2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    September 2, 2018 - Fenway Park, Boston, MA
    September 4, 2018 - Fenway Park, Boston, MA

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    edited October 2014

JSBach said:

An alternative solution:

LK

I would be for that. Once the band starts playing buy what you want, but before that time put some limits in place (and make sure the vendors stick to it). Unless they just print more stickers...
    And print more. They can easily move excess stickers in the shop.

Plus stickers are ridiculously cheap to print. I work for a trucking company and design decals for our trucks. The last stickers I had printed, which were three-color, 3x4", on vinyl (same as PJ sticks). I had 1,000 printed and shipped for $158.00 usd. I'm guessing PJ probably gets a better price break for volume. But it's still less than a couple of pennies to print a sticker.

I'm cool with people collecting whatever, just don't be a greedy dick about doing it.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911

im 36 years young. I have stickers on my car, guitars, guitar cases, amps, snowboards, skateboards, refrigerator, garage walls, and in books like children. we are all different. we don't all long for fresh polo tops and changing shitty diapers....

Man you really are defending your sticker collection. Cool.
    Just to let you know, five year olds are usually potty trained and don't shit in diapers any more . ;) But you re right, it was the highlight of my day! Knowing my kids weren't constipated was a beautiful thing.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Paul-Jam said:

Paul-Jam said:

yeah, we get it buddy. your just a speed racin', guitar shred din', half pipe grindin', ollie poppin' dude. Enjoy your 23.
    wana have a beer this tour, Paul?
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    mcgruff10 said:

Just to let you know, five year olds are usually potty trained and don't shit in diapers any more . ;) But you re right, it was the highlight of my day! Knowing my kids weren't constipated was a beautiful thing.
    Sometimes...
    the "little" things turn out to be the "BIG THINGS"
    That's a good view to have about a "dirty diaper" & it sounds like you're a great dad!!!
    :-bd
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:

mcgruff10 said:

Sometimes...
    That's a good view to have about a "dirty diaper" & it sounds like you're a great dad!!!
    Thanks bud. Why aren't you in the St. Louis thread with the final countdown?! You re slipping my man.

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    JSBach said:

An alternative solution:

LK

I was just going to suggest this.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    mcgruff10 said:

derbydave said:

mcgruff10 said:

Sometimes...
    Thanks bud. Why aren't you in the St. Louis thread with the final countdown?! You re slipping my man.

We are on the road to St. Louis!!
    I have a hard time posting pictures from my phone!!
    See you TONIGHT BUDDY!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    No excuses. Adapt and overcome!