Options

Yield

Comments

• Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    You know what? Fuck it. I fucking feel like talking about YIELD again.

If Braino was still around, he woulda had a great answer for that last question about connections between Ishmael and YIELD. His explanation of the "furry thing" line in Faithfull and how it relates to Ishmael was mind-blowing.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    RockKing wrote:
    If Braino was still around, he woulda had a great answer for that last question about connections between Ishmael and YIELD. His explanation of the "furry thing" line in Faithfull and how it relates to Ishmael was mind-blowing.

I thought I explained it rather well. ;)

We are a dying breed.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options

We are a dying breed.

PBM

We are indeed.

And your answer was good....It's just that Braino's "furry thing" explanation is still one of my favorite highlights from the old thread.

I'm trying to find it in my archive. I'll post it once I find it.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    I've been on a unofficial Pearl Jam-hiatus as of late...but last night, I heard In My Tree from Kitchener '05 and it reminded me of how much I love their live performances.

The Jack-era songs are clearly the better ones.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    The Jack-era songs are clearly the better ones.

Hahahahaha.....I love it.

Yeah, I've been on such a hiatus lately. But I was telling YIH today that I think it's coming back. I was talking about how much I actually kinda like Vitalogy, and it sparked something in me. Combine that with the abundance of music in the Gorge box set, and I feel a revival coming.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Yeah, I've been on such a hiatus lately. But I was telling YIH today that I think it's coming back. I was talking about how much I actually kinda like Vitalogy, and it sparked something in me. Combine that with the abundance of music in the Gorge box set, and I feel a revival coming.

If they could just harness the YIELD philosophies of 1998...I would be happy.

"It's not about you...it's the consumer"

Irony.

PBM

• Options
    When I post in this thread, I feel like Chris Farley at the end of that SNL Chippendales Dance Off Skit.

"You see, it's just that, at Chippendales, our dancers have traditionally had that lean, muscular, healthy physique - like Adrian's - whereas yours is.. well, fat and flabby. [ Barney starts to vamp ] No, Barney. No, no, no. Barney, we've made our decision."

PBM

• Options
    deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i love yield , it will always feel like a new album when i listen to it
    someone once wrote that yield was mint and that feeling has stuck with me throught the years

peace and love to everyone
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Options
    If they could just harness the YIELD philosophies of 1998...I would be happy.

"It's not about you...it's the consumer"

Irony.

PBM

I'm with you there, naturally. The whole dynamic of the band, fans, everything....was just perfect in 1998. It really was the perfect storm.

• Options
    This thread isn't the same without 6697, YIH, Fanch and Will.

We will, however, leave a light on for you.

PBM

• Options
    deadnote wrote:
    i love yield , it will always feel like a new album when i listen to it
    someone once wrote that yield was mint and that feeling has stuck with me throught the years

peace and love to everyone

I think I know what you mean by that. I think that's why it resonates so strongly with me. There are so many layers, so much depth, so much dichotomy (not just lyrically, but musically as well) that it seems like every time I listen to it, I discover something new or think about a song in a new way. It's completely exhilarating and no other PJ album quite does that to me.

No Code is close to doing that for me. Again, it's in the complexity that I find meaning. This goes to what PBM was saying about the Jack era.

• Options
    This thread isn't the same without 6697, YIH, Fanch and Will.

We will, however, leave a light on for you.

PBM

No, things will never ever be the same as last summer. But I'm going to do my best to keep doing my part. It's all I can really do.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I discover something new or think about a song in a new way. It's completely exhilarating and no other PJ album quite does that to me.

Each new life cycle you enter, the songs take on different meaning.

The songs in 1998 have a different meaning for me today in 2007. It really is about evolving.

PBM

• Options
    Each new life cycle you enter, the songs take on different meaning.

The songs in 1998 have a different meaning for me today in 2007. It really is about evolving.

PBM

I'd really like to go back and revisit my thoughts just from a year ago. At the time, when I was yearning for change in my life, I really connected to the whole "give way" theme. But now that I have my new job and am starting to find some contentment, I'd be curious to see what "give way" means to me now.

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002

We are a dying breed.

PBM
    were still out there listening and rocking out to YIELD
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    were still out there listening and rocking out to YIELD

Always good to see a familiar name. How's it going metsy? Good to see you're still keeping up the good fight.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I'd really like to go back and revisit my thoughts just from a year ago. At the time, when I was yearning for change in my life, I really connected to the whole "give way" theme. But now that I have my new job and am starting to find some contentment, I'd be curious to see what "give way" means to me now.

It seems at certain times, we all yearn for change and then become complacent. It's a cycle.

"There's still time to escape..."

PBM

• Options
    It seems at certain times, we all yearn for change and then become complacent. It's a cycle.

"There's still time to escape..."

PBM

What's funny is that there's really 2 ways of looking at that. The glass-half-full person says this means that things will always get better. The glass-half-empty person says this means that the good times are only temporary relief from life's constant kicks. Fascinating stuff. I love YIELD.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    The glass-half-empty person says this means that the good times are only temporary relief from life's constant kicks.

I've always considered myself a "glass-half-full" kind of person...but the outlook you've brought forth is really more a reality.

PBM

• Options
    I was always "the glass needs more beer" kinda guy...I think this cuts to the core of Fanch's 'Low Light' theory.

;)
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    I've always considered myself a "glass-half-full" kind of person...but the outlook you've brought forth is really more a reality.

PBM

I don't know which I am. I'm a half-full guy when life is going well and a half-empty guy when life sucks. How's that for an easy answer? :)

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    RockKing wrote:
    Always good to see a familiar name. How's it going metsy? Good to see you're still keeping up the good fight.
    im good RK, really fucking hot here. i had some good times with the yield people last year.sad the mods took that away from us. i have to echo what PBM said bout the jack era of pj. his work was amazing for what he bought to this band., had he stuck around forever, i think this band would of made alot better cds then the last 3.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    I was always "the glass needs more beer" kinda guy...I think this cuts to the core of Fanch's 'Low Light' theory.

;)

Excellent analysis. And I agree about the glass needing more beer. I've never seen the glass that doesn't.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I don't know which I am. I'm a half-full guy when life is going well and a half-empty guy when life sucks. How's that for an easy answer? :)

The sweet isn't as sweet without the sour.

PBM

• Options
    im good RK, really fucking hot here. i had some good times with the yield people last year.sad the mods took that away from us. i have to echo what PBM said bout the jack era of pj. his work was amazing for what he bought to this band., had he stuck around forever, i think this band would of made alot better cds then the last 3.
    Weird to consider, with all of the contributions Matt brings in terms of songwriting and how he infects the sound with sharp rigidness, whereas Jack let it roll a bit more. They would have been different, certainly.
  • Options
    with all of the contributions Matt brings in terms of songwriting and how he infects the sound with sharp rigidness

Square peg, round hole. It will fit if you smash it in. ;)

PBM

• Options

Very interesting. I must admit, I'm more than a little curious what the follow up to YIELD would have been had Jack stuck around. I know a lot of people love Bimaural around here, but for me it's always left me feeling like I'm in search of something more. But, to be fair, they had just finished making the greatest album of all time, so I'm not sure how they should have followed it up. :)

• Options
    Square peg, round hole. It will fit if you smash it in. ;)

PBM
    haha, well, yeah.
    I guess I just mean that his songs are very angular, in a way...Unemployable, what have you, there's such a stop and start, and this direction and that direction, which is very cool...and I dig the Wellwater stuff, but I think Jack just kinda sat back and let it flow, then hit his spots when they came.
    Matt's much more of a human metronome both in his playing and the sounds he creates.

And there's points to both styles.
  • Options
    The sweet isn't as sweet without the sour.

PBM

Touche. We wouldn't learn anything about ourselves without the bad times, either.

The thing about YIELD, though, is that it definitely offers something for everyone, no matter how full (or empty) their glass is at the moment. I've always found that to a particularly remarkable truth.

• Options
    And there's points to both styles.

The difference between Jack and Matt:

"So if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientations, the whole works, right? But I'll bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling; seen that. If I ask you about women, you'd probably give me a syllabus about your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy."

PBM