Yield

Comments

• RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Arainea wrote:
    I had a lovely Yield moment today. I want to share it with you in case you find yourself in the situation that I was in...you'll know what to do!

The fitness club where I exercise has a line of TVs at the front of the room, and all the treadmills, stair climbers, etc. face the TVs. On one channel, they broadcast music videos, which are also playing over the PA system. Because they're trying to appeal to the largest number of people, the videos are primarily whatever pop music is currently being played on the radio, along with some golden oldies. I have NEVER seen a PJ video. Usually I wear my headphones so I can listen to whatever I want, and I run on a treadmill in front of the TV that has CNN on, so I can read the news while I run. Today, however, I got stuck on a machine in a direct line of sight with the music videos. Well, I popped Yield into my disc player and set out...and I don't know if it was the endorphin high or what, but I swear it started to look like the people in the videos were singing along with the Yield songs. Really...some rapper doing Evolution...Nellie somebody doing LowLight...Gwen Stefani (sorry if I'm getting these names wrong) singing Given to Fly. And you know what? Everyone looks better when they're singing along with Yield.

So, if you find yourself stuck in a spiritually-unhealthy media enviroment, you now know what to do.

Blessings,
    Arainea

This is precisely what this thread is all about. I love it! Thanks for sharing. The world just looks better in general when seen through the prism of YIELD.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    RockKing wrote:
    Yeah, I think I know what you're getting at. Like, Led Zeppelin made Physical Graffiti with the intention of it being their masterpiece.

I'm not so sure about that. most of the Physical Graffiti songs were left overs from past sessions. Bron-Yr-Aur was recorded around the time of Zeppelin III. Down by the Seaside, Boogie With Stu, and Night Flight were all rejected from the Zeppelin IV sessions. and Black Mountain Woman, The Rover, and Houses of the Holy (the song) were recorded during the Houses of the Holy sessions. so while the "new" songs for the album were epic (Time of Dying, Kashmir, In the Light among others), it's hard for this to be considered a masterpiece "album" in the true sense of the word.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I'm not so sure about that. most of the Physical Graffiti songs were left overs from past sessions. Bron-Yr-Aur was recorded around the time of Zeppelin III. Down by the Seaside, Boogie With Stu, and Night Flight were all rejected from the Zeppelin IV sessions. and Black Mountain Woman, The Rover, and Houses of the Holy (the song) were recorded during the Houses of the Holy sessions. so while the "new" songs for the album were epic (Time of Dying, Kashmir, In the Light among others), it's hard for this to be considered a masterpiece "album" in the true sense of the word.

I suppose I get what you're saying, but when the band was recording the album, their intention was to create something epic, and they only included "leftover" songs that fit their vision of what Physical Graffiti was going to be. They knew they were trying to do something different, something bigger...that's my point.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • AraineaArainea Posts: 58
    TrixieCat
    Love Boat Captain Join Date: Nov 2006

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a5pj
    if by no code you mean yield, but that might just be for pj guys

What the hell is it with you guys (read: males) and Yield? If you play it backwards does it give you the secret location of our REAL g-spot??? lol
    You men love that album. lol
    Oh, and PJ girls rule.

I just read the above quote in another thread. I don't post on the boards very often, though I am a serious PJ fan. I laughed when I read it because I think it's supposed to be a joke. However, since I dearly love YIELD, I thought I'd bring the quote over here for a formal rebuttal by the women on this thread.
    Arainea wrote:
    TrixieCat

Quote:

What the hell is it with you guys (read: males) and Yield? If you play it backwards does it give you the secret location of our REAL g-spot??? lol
    Oh, and PJ girls rule.

I just read the above quote in another thread. I don't post on the boards very often, though I am a serious PJ fan. I laughed when I read it because I think it's supposed to be a joke. However, since I dearly love YIELD, I thought I'd bring the quote over here for a formal rebuttal by the women on this thread.

I think we lost all the women in this thread in the great genocide of last fall. We need more female perspective in this thread.

RockKing wrote:
    I think we lost all the women in this thread in the great genocide of last fall. We need more female perspective in this thread.

Oh goodness, the female perspective can't be just me! I, unlike many jammers, do not have the kind of job where I can both work and post at the same time. I'm in the classroom most days attempting to teach grumpy college freshmen how to write even one coherent paragraph in English. Since there are no classes today, I'm at home trying to convince a grumpy toddler to eat something besides cheerios! That's the only reason I can post right now. But I seem to remember posting on an old Yield thread a few times before...wasn't there a woman named Grace? Where did she go?
    You know, it surprises me that there aren't more women posting to this thread. I would think YIELD would be popular with women, but then again I don't know many other PJ fans other than my husband.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    So, what's this discussion about? Yield Haiku?

Ok. Try to work with this? It may be a little different than what you are used to. First, think of a Yield song, the moment of flash, just one. An individual moment, just one, where the peripheral vision of your mind expands. Then look at something within the straight line of your sight. Write between 9-15 syllables of the peripheral vision of your mind verses the actual vision within your sight, and you'll have what's very close to an actual haiku. Here's an example using a Given to Fly moment

crashing wave
    the darkness
    within an office

Want to try? A flash moment within a song of Yield translated into your daily routine. Your turn.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    So, what's this discussion about?

Well, I am attempting to recruit women to this thread! :-)
    Except, you know what? I don't think, in the context of YIELD, that gender matters much.
    Arainea wrote:
    Sorry, I was originally being goofy-sarcastic to the thread, not to you. Ooops, doesn't translate well in a post. Sorry. :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Arainea wrote:
    TrixieCat

Quote:

Oh, and PJ girls rule.

Um..yeah, it was a joke. Thanks. :) I can't even explain to you how funny this is but the people that I chat with will find it amusing.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Um..yeah, it was a joke. Thanks. :) I can't even explain to you how funny this is but the people that I chat with will find it amusing.

I know. :-) But I just thought it would be interesting to hear what the women on this thread would say. However, it turns out that there aren't any.
    the work day clock
    another second
    again and again

ooooo, I LOVE this!
  • BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    RockKing wrote:

sigh. yes. "the exodus" if you will. there were women in this land, once. they were driven when our folk was persecuted. but we hold no grudge- we YIELD to the natural ebb of message boards.
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
    Arainea wrote:
    Oh goodness, the female perspective can't be just me! I, unlike many jammers, do not have the kind of job where I can both work and post at the same time. I'm in the classroom most days attempting to teach grumpy college freshmen how to write even one coherent paragraph in English. Since there are no classes today, I'm at home trying to convince a grumpy toddler to eat something besides cheerios! That's the only reason I can post right now. But I seem to remember posting on an old Yield thread a few times before...wasn't there a woman named Grace? Where did she go?

*Grace6697*
    Arainea wrote:

YIELD is all about the divine feminine- the goddess, mother earth, Gaia, etc. bring them on!

But if they come, we invite them to participate in the "suggestions" of the YFC or YIELD Fan Club. Such as: everytime you type YIELD, capitalize it. It reads/sounds better that way. You can just hear it on the screen.

-YFC S-A-A
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

Ok. Try to work with this? It may be a little different than what you are used to. First, think of a Yield song, the moment of flash, just one. An individual moment, just one, where the peripheral vision of your mind expands. Then look at something within the straight line of your sight. Write between 9-15 syllables of the peripheral vision of your mind verses the actual vision within your sight, and you'll have what's very close to an actual haiku. Here's an example using a Given to Fly moment

crashing wave
    the darkness
    within an office

Want to try? A flash moment within a song of Yield translated into your daily routine. Your turn.

The pinnacle of the YIELD thread was Haiku Day. :(
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
    The pinnacle of the YIELD thread was Haiku Day. :(
    Time for another YIELD haiku day! Yippee!

Haiku - Do the Evolution

cars at stop lights
    summer leaves
    herd the exhaust
  • The pinnacle of the YIELD thread was Haiku Day. :(
    You're goddamn right it was.

A road traffic sign
    that brings us all together
    the power of YIELD
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    In Hiding has a lot of culinary images

Haiku - In Hiding

tofu order
    paid with plastic
    agribusiness
  • YIELD Other band, track name
    Brain of J - 'Joe's Head' - Kings of Leon

Another catchy song about someone getting shot in the head. Seemed to fit well kicking off the album, and they have opened for PJ, so it all makes sense.

Faithfull - 'Holy Moses' - The Drams

A great song by a band that builds and has some great points in it about asking Moses to 'send down some angels for me...one beside, one below and one above.'

No Way - 'I Burn Today ' - Frank Black

Off of one of his solo records, this little acoustic ditty is delightfully weird and all about learning and frustrations...'I will burn/for the times/I did not learn.' As much as making a difference is about trying again, so is the core of this song.

Given to Fly - 'Powderfinger' - Neil Young

This one was hard, since I wanted to capture all that is good about GTF. Powderfinger is great because it is so mysterious, and I find that to be true with GTF as well; I don't see any one clear meaning in it, other than a young man dealing with growing up and going out there and facing a crisis. Musically, I think it has the transcendence of GTF too, especially in Neil's solo before the fourth verse and then brings you back down.

Wishlist - 'Chinese Translation' - M. Ward (w/ Neko Case and Jim James)

A great song here about a young man asking a wise man three important questions. So you've got the list thing going on. In YIELD themes, this song cuts to his three questions: what do I do with the pieces of a broken heart?, how does a man like me remain in the light?, if life is really as short as they say, why is the night so long? Musically, it kicks ass, and I think the questions get to the essence of YIELD in questioning how one should live one's life.

Pilate - 'Jesus, etc.' - Wilco

Strange religious themes, and an unbearable chorus. A winning combination...I think this one has some of what Pilate gets at for me, which is when Tweedy sings about "Our love is all we have..." that gets to the characters in Master and Margarita and their motives.

Do the Evolution - 'Smallpox Champion' - Fugazi

Had to be loud and political. Also gets to the issues about European colonization and the Native Americans, so this seemed like an easy one to me.

Dot - 'No Matter' - Cat Power

This is a little short instrumental on one of her records, which just breaks up the monotony of all her sad songs. So, it serves the same purpose as dot, as a bridge, and keeps everything flowing well.

MFC - "Urge for Going" - Dave van Ronk

Actually an old Joni Mitchell song, but Dave van Ronk does an amazing version of it. It's a bout getting the hell out of town when the feeling hits, and van Ronk's rendition is stark and gorgeous.

Low Light - 'Golden' - My Morning Jacket

This has to be a pretty song, and I really had to tie it into M&M as well. Jim James ends this one with "On heaven's golden shore we'll lay our heads" and I think that's what Jeff was trying to get at in Low Light with the characters in that book and like Pilate, explain their motives.

In Hiding - 'Change' - Blind Melon

Great, great upbeat song about turning things around. I think that's what In Hiding is about to me too...taking stock, taking some time off and away and putting all the pieces together. Change isn't as powerful a riff and as huge and as sonic as In Hiding, but thematically I see it as very close.

Push Me, Pull Me - 'All Must Pay' - Joe Lally

Great track off his solo record from 2006..Joe played bass in Fugazi, most notably. Rambling, bass driven spoken word/mumbled singing track about "All must live, all must pay." This one just jumped out at me, a great one, I think matches both the lyrics and vibe of PMPM very well.

All Those Yesterdays - ' Let There Be Rock' - Drive-By Truckers

As RK said, this and GTF were the toughest... I picked this one, because it's a story of Patterson Hood's yesterdays and how "rock and roll saved his life as a teenager." And I think for me, YIELD filled that void in my youth, so this wraps it up symbolically for me and also, like ATY, is one of those songs that just gets your blood flowing and cracks a smile, no matter what. It makes you want to go listen to the whole record again from the start.

So, there it is, my new YIELD.
  • Just so everyone knows, what a great day in the YIELD thread.

Blkflg was keeping it real all day, as always. Good work. The being/becoming thing was genius.

RK was bringing insight all over the place, well done.

The 'YIELD moment' was great...not so much for the story (which was great) but that you phrased it as a "YIELD moment."
    We thank you.

More women folk are needed, that's probably true. Any theories on the YIELD/testosterone ties? It was made at the height of the steroid era...

Also, bringing back YIELD Haikus, awesome. I pissed everyone off for a week doing that. Thanks for reminding me.
    ;)

And, to wrap it all up, YIH made a pointless post.

So, everything is back to normal is YIELD world.
    YIELD Other band, track name
    Brain of J - 'Joe's Head' - Kings of Leon

Another catchy song about someone getting shot in the head. Seemed to fit well kicking off the album, and they have opened for PJ, so it all makes sense.

Faithfull - 'Holy Moses' - The Drams

A great song by a band that builds and has some great points in it about asking Moses to 'send down some angels for me...one beside, one below and one above.'

No Way - 'I Burn Today ' - Frank Black

Off of one of his solo records, this little acoustic ditty is delightfully weird and all about learning and frustrations...'I will burn/for the times/I did not learn.' As much as making a difference is about trying again, so is the core of this song.

Given to Fly - 'Powderfinger' - Neil Young

This one was hard, since I wanted to capture all that is good about GTF. Powderfinger is great because it is so mysterious, and I find that to be true with GTF as well; I don't see any one clear meaning in it, other than a young man dealing with growing up and going out there and facing a crisis. Musically, I think it has the transcendence of GTF too, especially in Neil's solo before the fourth verse and then brings you back down.

Wishlist - 'Chinese Translation' - M. Ward (w/ Neko Case and Jim James)

A great song here about a young man asking a wise man three important questions. So you've got the list thing going on. In YIELD themes, this song cuts to his three questions: what do I do with the pieces of a broken heart?, how does a man like me remain in the light?, if life is really as short as they say, why is the night so long? Musically, it kicks ass, and I think the questions get to the essence of YIELD in questioning how one should live one's life.

Pilate - 'Jesus, etc.' - Wilco

Strange religious themes, and an unbearable chorus. A winning combination...I think this one has some of what Pilate gets at for me, which is when Tweedy sings about "Our love is all we have..." that gets to the characters in Master and Margarita and their motives.

Do the Evolution - 'Smallpox Champion' - Fugazi

Had to be loud and political. Also gets to the issues about European colonization and the Native Americans, so this seemed like an easy one to me.

Dot - 'No Matter' - Cat Power

This is a little short instrumental on one of her records, which just breaks up the monotony of all her sad songs. So, it serves the same purpose as dot, as a bridge, and keeps everything flowing well.

MFC - "Urge for Going" - Dave van Ronk

Actually an old Joni Mitchell song, but Dave van Ronk does an amazing version of it. It's a bout getting the hell out of town when the feeling hits, and van Ronk's rendition is stark and gorgeous.

Low Light - 'Golden' - My Morning Jacket

This has to be a pretty song, and I really had to tie it into M&M as well. Jim James ends this one with "On heaven's golden shore we'll lay our heads" and I think that's what Jeff was trying to get at in Low Light with the characters in that book and like Pilate, explain their motives.

In Hiding - 'Change' - Blind Melon

Great, great upbeat song about turning things around. I think that's what In Hiding is about to me too...taking stock, taking some time off and away and putting all the pieces together. Change isn't as powerful a riff and as huge and as sonic as In Hiding, but thematically I see it as very close.

Push Me, Pull Me - 'All Must Pay' - Joe Lally

Great track off his solo record from 2006..Joe played bass in Fugazi, most notably. Rambling, bass driven spoken word/mumbled singing track about "All must live, all must pay." This one just jumped out at me, a great one, I think matches both the lyrics and vibe of PMPM very well.

All Those Yesterdays - ' Let There Be Rock' - Drive-By Truckers

As RK said, this and GTF were the toughest... I picked this one, because it's a story of Patterson Hood's yesterdays and how "rock and roll saved his life as a teenager." And I think for me, YIELD filled that void in my youth, so this wraps it up symbolically for me and also, like ATY, is one of those songs that just gets your blood flowing and cracks a smile, no matter what. It makes you want to go listen to the whole record again from the start.

So, there it is, my new YIELD.
    two thumbs up on the M. Ward. I get it. beautiful song.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

crashing wave
    the darkness
    within an office

Oh my, haiku AND YIELD?! I've found my happy place...I went to another thread yesterday that I thought looked interesting...they were talking about jello enemas, I KID YOU NOT! Well, to each their own, I guess, but this thread is a much better fit for me. :-)

Here's mine. I used LowLight because of the imagery of the clouds rolling by. The setting is a camping trip in Arizona from a few years ago.

Lightening strikes the sand
    The Painted Desert darkens
    Creatures wait in vain
    Wow, I missed quite a bit after I left on Tuesday. Kudos to Arainea for bringing in the ladies' perspective.

I dig the YIELD list, Will. There are a couple songs I'm not familiar with, so I'll have to check them out. But overall, that's a pretty solid and complete list. I'll have to get on my game and get my list finalized and figured out.

A road traffic sign
    that brings us all together
    the power of YIELD

Brilliant.

Arainea wrote:
    Except, you know what? I don't think, in the context of YIELD, that gender matters much.

I was thinking about this. Obviously the themes and principles of YIELD are universal. Age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, social status.....none of it matters. YIELD is about everything that surrounds us all. The balance between the external forces that drive us and those that oppose us. The internal demons that haunt us and the internal determination that pushes us to overcome.

I've said this before, but one of the most powerful elements of YIELD is it's ability to give us exactly what we need, no matter what state of mind we are in. I've listened to YIELD in some of my darkest moments in life, and it's been medicinal in it's ability to inspire me to overcome. At the same time, there's nothing better than listening to YIELD when things are at their best, as it feels like a drug in its ability to make me feel like I'm on top of the world.

So, in a round about way, what I'm getting at is that I see no reason why YIELD would lend itself better to one sex over another. I know this is pretentious of me to say, but I DO think YIELD lends itself better to those who enjoy immersing themselves in critical thought, and that's why I love this thread so much. Everyone here is working as one, but providing their own unique insights and perspectives about YIELD. And that's more of the reason why we need more females in this thread....it's another point of view to take into consideration. If there's one thing I think we've all learned from this thread (well, maybe moreso the original YIELD thread, but you know what I mean), is that the power of collaboration in breaking down this album and deciphering every aspect of it FAR surpasses anything we ever could have accomplished on our own.

Haiku - Brain of J

melted ice cream
    on the sidewalk
    4th of July flag
    I'm listening to Yield right now. I don't find a common theme between the songs. I could probably find a common theme if I try really hard, but with TEN and Avocado Blue it is easier. The songs are more parts of the whole. I don't know if I can say those two albums are *concept album* as that may be disrespectful to an artist. However, what common themes in content do you find within the songs? Is there one? Is there a method to the order?

Maybe David vs Goliath? Some are David, some are Goliath, and some are David against Goliath. I guess that's just standard PJ theme, though, eh?