Options

Yield

Comments

• Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    I'd agree with that.

Excellent. Where are The Others?
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
    Ohhhhhhk.

What's happening people. YIH, can you post the original charter in the thread, please? pretty please?

also, all of you "new people", do any of you remember how hard the old thread rocked? the philosophy! the depth! the humor! the natty!

It s too bad stratty and grace can't be a part of this.

YIELD, bitches.

-YFC Sergeant-At-Arms
    YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
  • Options
    I think it was one of the first Pj albums I myself purchased. Live on Two Legs was the first and I think Yield might have been the second. Vitalogy was the first one I listened to though.
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • Options
    oh yeah.....In Hiding i think tells the story of chapter 1 and two of my life....its one of my favs
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    Yeah I could do that...

Although, maybe we need to see some dedication from others before we give them the goods. ;)
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Follow me here.

After the tough times of the No Code recording sessions...YIELD is what you would call "Make Up Sex".

...and it is good.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    Ohhhhhhk.

What's happening people. YIH, can you post the original charter in the thread, please? pretty please?

also, all of you "new people", do any of you remember how hard the old thread rocked? the philosophy! the depth! the humor! the natty!

It s too bad stratty and grace can't be a part of this.

YIELD, bitches.

-YFC Sergeant-At-Arms

you have risen, where did you go to yield boot camp
    or did you go on a trans campaign, I actually miss reading your crazy shit

peace

yes yield is great
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    you have risen, where did you go to yield boot camp
    or did you go on a trans campaign, I actually miss reading your crazy shit

peace

yes yield is great

ahh yes, i have missed you too nowway. I have been on "hiatus" as they say. thanks for reminding me of TRANS.
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    ahh yes, i have missed you too nowway. I have been on "hiatus" as they say. thanks for reminding me of TRANS.

Hows your boy dahlen been, is he living over at the new yield board

no more shows
  • Options

Keep it on topic....

MFC is a good driving song.
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    i have been listening to yield an it isn't all that!
    i don't get it?

vs. and vitalogy are way better and the new album rocks way more than yield!

still don't get it i must be missing something? i have all the albums, seen them a ton of times, and ten, vs. vit. and riot act and soe of no code kill!! but yield doesn't do it for me???????
    one love

respect
  • Options
    hiding wrote:
    i have been listening to yield an it isn't all that!
    i don't get it?

vs. and vitalogy are way better and the new album rocks way more than yield!

still don't get it i must be missing something? i have all the albums, seen them a ton of times, and ten, vs. vit. and riot act and soe of no code kill!! but yield doesn't do it for me???????

Even if you dont get what everyone hypes this album over, it still kicks ass just on pure songs alone.
    Faithfull
    No Way
    In hiding
    GTF
    are among pjs best work
    Than you get a classic song like dte
    and a great off color tune like push me pull me, which is cool lyrically even without considering the music.
    Than cool intsrumental music.
    So this is an album that stacks up on all levels.
    Studio sound
    song writing is tight and well thought out
    it has solos
    even instrument input
    cool lyrics
    good vibe on drums
    it did well commercially, and was not cheesey, like cough cough some song on vitalogy
    it did the band well
    so to not get it is possible because I dont know shit about ishmael
    but on my high standards of rock albums it is super.

no more shows
  • Options
    Keep it on topic....

MFC is a good driving song.

Yes but faithfull owns mfc.

no more shows
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    it did well commercially, and was not cheesey, like cough cough some song on vitalogy

What song are you talking about because Vitalogy has no cheesey songs IMO... and is a different but better album any way you slice it.

I think Vitalogy is a classic album...whereas Yield is a cult favorite.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    What song are you talking about because Vitalogy has no cheesey songs IMO... and is a different but better album any way you slice it.

I think Vitalogy is a classic album...whereas Yield is a cult favorite.

Comercially betterman is cheesey a lil bit, I didnt come into this post trying to diss vitalogy, I just think Yield was a lil cooler.
    And slicing Vitalogy up is great, but I honestly wasnt as impressed with Daves drumming on it like I was wwith vs, than no code and yield. So it drops below a notch, its still great, Not for you is a gem. The heavy tunes are also great.

no more shows
  • Options
    Yes but faithfull owns mfc.

No arguing that. Agreed.
  • Options
    No arguing that. Agreed.

Thats why you are the boss of yield.

I think a sopranos theme for yield might not be a bad idea for a spring yield theme.

Just kiddin, I think darth vader would knock soprano off in a second.

Spring has always been a big time for yield for me, I can remeber when tickets went on sale in philly during like may. Such fond memories.

no more shows
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Comercially betterman is cheesey a lil bit, I didnt come into this post trying to diss vitalogy, I just think Yield was a lil cooler.
    And slicing Vitalogy up is great, but I honestly wasnt as impressed with Daves drumming on it like I was wwith vs, than no code and yield. So it drops below a notch, its still great, Not for you is a gem. The heavy tunes are also great.

Not dissing...just dicussing.

I hear you on the Betterman point...but knowing what the song is about and how it was written through the eyes of the child (Ed of course) takes away any cheesey aspect for me...commercial or not.

The songs aren't as condusive to Dave A's drumming style as they were on Vs...I'll give you that...but surely nothing to sneeze at.

I Love Yield...but I'll always have a connection with the edginess of Vitalogy.

I didn't mean to hijack this Yield thread...so commence discussing the greatness that is In Hiding.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    In Hiding ----

great video section for that song on Single Video Theory...
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options

he's hanging out at the "90's era Clapton board". Rip Dahlen, he can't even fight back. Ha.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    yield is awesome, to me it marks that point in pearl jam's career where they where donig exactly what they wanted and had a grasp on it, where as no code, where they did what they felt like doing...but it seems like it was new to them and they just had a lot of unexperienced fun with it.

no code rocks like hell too :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    hiding wrote:
    still don't get it i must be missing something?

It's a collective album where the album is the sum of all of it's parts.

"The studio's fun... you know when you're all getting along and people are just creating and creating... no matter what it sounds like... I know where you're trying to take it, so let me do what you need... you know totally selfless just to the song and to music... so that's like pure creative process"

Indeed.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    yield is awesome, to me it marks that point in pearl jam's career where they where donig exactly what they wanted and had a grasp on it, where as no code, where they did what they felt like doing...but it seems like it was new to them and they just had a lot of unexperienced fun with it.

no code rocks like hell too :)

yes, it was the "release" after the question of No Code and the tension of the four previous albums. joyous, climactic, and fun....
  • Options
    Not dissing...just dicussing.

I hear you on the Betterman point...but knowing what the song is about and how it was written through the eyes of the child (Ed of course) takes away any cheesey aspect for me...commercial or not.

The songs aren't as condusive to Dave A's drumming style as they were on Vs...I'll give you that...but surely nothing to sneeze at.

I Love Yield...but I'll always have a connection with the edginess of Vitalogy.

I didn't mean to hijack this Yield thread...so commence discussing the greatness that is In Hiding.

You are dead on with the edgeness, and without the other albums Yield has no compettion.

HAHA just kidding, we agree you just like that album better.

no more shows
  • Options
    BlkFlg wrote:
    he's hanging out at the "90's era Clapton board". Rip Dahlen, he can't even fight back. Ha.

Yes I was going to call him rip, that was a funny thread, I miss him.

Side note on Yield, the fucking lil sounds and effects stone pulls off also add to the albums texture. They seem to work well as comparred to the rest of his tricks on other albums, except severed hand that has some yield features.

no more shows
  • Options
    BUMP for a great day to listen to YIELD. Cloudy in the morning with rain, then after work, sunny and 70. Awesome.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    because I dont know shit about ishmael

Dear YIELD enthusiasts,

Perhaps some of you can help me out by explaining the connection between Daniel Quinn's Ishmael and the writing/recording of YIELD. I vaguely remember that several (if not all) of the band members were reading the book at the time of the YIELD recording sessions.

I have a renewed curiosity about the book after having seen it referenced in a most-unexpected place. Can you shed some light on what themes, ideas, or relevance the book has in common with the album? Is it possible upon reading the book to draw parallels to the album (or to at least pinpoint what inspired the band members)?

I'll probably pick up the book later this year when I've moved down my reading list a little bit. Looking forward to the experience as we prep for YIELD's 10th Birthday in February.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Perhaps some of you can help me out by explaining the connection between Daniel Quinn's Ishmael and the writing/recording of YIELD.

It's been a couple of years since I read the book, but the general feeling is that there are two types of people:

•Those who believe the world belongs to man...Takers

•Those who believe man belongs to the world...Leavers

Daniel Quinn responds to the Ishmael / YIELD connection.

It's a great thought-provoking book.

PBM

• Options
    In the old days, this thread would always be at the top.

*Overdramatic tear drop*

PBM