Options

Yield

Comments

• Options
    You win

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    RockKing wrote:
    Very interesting. I must admit, I'm more than a little curious what the follow up to YIELD would have been had Jack stuck around. I know a lot of people love Bimaural around here, but for me it's always left me feeling like I'm in search of something more. But, to be fair, they had just finished making the greatest album of all time, so I'm not sure how they should have followed it up. :)
    i agree with all of this.but it sucks we will never know just had good the follow up to yield could of been
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    Lots to digest here...I must meditate whilst listening to IN HIDING.

Rawk on, brothers.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Lots to digest here...I must meditate whilst listening to IN HIDING.

Rawk on, brothers.

Quit your job...we need our YIELD-leader...at least one of them.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Been to 4 shows this tour, didnt hear my dearest In Hiding :(
    And then they play it in Dusseldorf, one show after my last stop in London.
    Im sad i didnt get to hear my fave song this time around, but got the last years boots ;)

PS I heard Low Light at Wembley so i cant complain I guess :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    Been to 4 shows this tour, didnt hear my dearest In Hiding :(
    And then they play it in Dusseldorf, one show after my last stop in London.
    Im sad i didnt get to hear my fave song this time around, but got the last years boots ;)

PS I heard Low Light at Wembley so i cant complain I guess :)
    See, there you go...
    I think the sets this tour have gotten much better as they got into it.
    Especially the last couple weeks, lots of Hidings, Faithfulls, a Braino and a Light for good measure.

6/8 Lisbon, Portugal - DTE, GTF
    6/9 Madrid, Spain - GTF
    6/12 Munich, Germany - GTF, DTE
    6/13 Katowice, Poland - GTF, Leatherman
    6/15 Venice, Italy - canceled
    6/16 Vienna, Austria - MFC, GTF, DTE
    6/18 London, England - GTF, Low Light, Faithfull, DTE
    6/21 Dusseldorf, Germany - Braino, DTE, In Hiding, GTF
    6/23 Neuhausen ob Eck, Germany - DTE, GTF,
    6/24 Scheessel, Germany - Faithfull, GTF
    6/26 Copenhagen, Denmark - DTE, In Hiding, GTF
    6/28 Nijmegen, Holland
    6/29 Werchter, Belgium
    8/5 Chicago, Illinois
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    See, there you go...
    Especially the last couple weeks, lots of Hidings, Faithfulls, a Braino and a Light for good measure.

6/8 Lisbon, Portugal - DTE, GTF
    6/9 Madrid, Spain - GTF
    6/12 Munich, Germany - GTF, DTE
    6/13 Katowice, Poland - GTF, Leatherman
    6/15 Venice, Italy - canceled
    6/16 Vienna, Austria - MFC, GTF, DTE
    6/18 London, England - GTF, Low Light, Faithfull, DTE
    6/21 Dusseldorf, Germany - Braino, DTE, In Hiding, GTF
    6/23 Neuhausen ob Eck, Germany - DTE, GTF,
    6/24 Scheessel, Germany - Faithfull, GTF
    6/26 Copenhagen, Denmark - DTE, In Hiding, GTF
    6/28 Nijmegen, Holland
    6/29 Werchter, Belgium
    8/5 Chicago, Illinois

I got plenty of GTF's and DTE's :D
    I guess London was the Yield night ;) 4 songs :eek:
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    I got plenty of GTF's and DTE's :D

Next to Corduroy, I think DTE is Ed's pet song.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Quit your job...we need our YIELD-leader...at least one of them.

PBM

I agree. There HAS to be a good job SOMEWHERE in Des Moines, doesn't there???

And by good job, I clearly mean "job where they let you post on message boards all day."
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    See, there you go...

I kinda catch myself hoping that Faithfull turns into the new Present Tense, a song that didn't originally get a lot of play but then turned into a bit of a staple. I know, I know....it takes away a little bit of the 'specialness' of getting to hear it, but goddamn...when they played it in Cleveland, it just tore me apart. A fucking GREAT song to hear live.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I kinda catch myself hoping that Faithfull turns into the new Present Tense, a song that didn't originally get a lot of play but then turned into a bit of a staple. I know, I know....it takes away a little bit of the 'specialness' of getting to hear it, but goddamn...when they played it in Cleveland, it just tore me apart. A fucking GREAT song to hear live.
    Yeah, I hear that.
    I heard it in Philly in 05, which is, gulp, almost two years ago now.

PT live is great, because of how it builds and the jam, similar to Faithfull.
    But I like how PT has subtly evolved over the years...the best part now is Stone's fills on the outro jam. Usually mind-blowing.
    I'll have to hear Faithfull from this tour, oh wait...
  • Options
    But I like how PT has subtly evolved over the years...the best part now is Stone's fills on the outro jam. Usually mind-blowing.

I still say Stone is quietly underrated as a guitarist. He's not flashy, but the man has an ear for the perfect little fills that just kill you. And, he is of course, the riff-master.
    I'll have to hear Faithfull from this tour, oh wait...

It's like salt in an open wound.

• Options
    Ok, I found braino's explanation of Furry Thing:
    BrainOfJD wrote:

It's mostly in the last verse:

M.Y.T.H. is
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear

I think this line refers to the mythology that "Mother Culture" whispers in our ear - the myth that the earth was created for man to do with as he sees fit. The "box of fear" line - and the chorus, atucally - is a reference to the Taker cultures' searches for prophets, etc, to teach them the right way to live. It
    may also refer to the fact that man suffers from violence, depression, drug abuse, etc.

We never listen
    Voice inside so drowned out
    Drowned you are, you are, you are a furry thing
    And everything is you
    Me you, you me, it's all related

This seems to back up the idea that man is NOT above the other species on the planet - "you are a furry thing." The laws of how to live on the planet are inside every creature, including man, but they have been drowned out by the voice of Mother Culture. The law has to do with the fact that "It's all related" - diversity of species and cultures is integral to the survival of the planet, so destorying other species for the sake of your own survival is ultimately a bad strategy.

• Options
    It's been such a long time since I read Ishmael...I need to revisit it...along with Story of B and My Ishmael.

PBM

• Options
    Thinking of YIELD topics...did we want to revisit the 'sister-song' idea, but instead of using PJ songs, you can use any song by any band, with a little explanation.
    I think it will do two things - cut to the core of why we like YIELD, in explaining how song 'x' relates to the YIELD track and expose everyone to some new music.

If it sounds cool, let's do it, otherwise, forget it.

YIELD Other band, track name
    Brain of J
    Faithfull
    No Way
    Given to Fly
    Wishlist
    Pilate
    Do the Evolution
    Dot
    MFC
    Low Light
    In Hiding
    Push Me, Pull Me
    All Those Yesterdays
  • Options
    Thinking of YIELD topics...did we want to revisit the 'sister-song' idea, but instead of using PJ songs, you can use any song by any band, with a little explanation.
    I think it will do two things - cut to the core of why we like YIELD, in explaining how song 'x' relates to the YIELD track and expose everyone to some new music.

Brain of J
    Faithfull
    No Way
    Given to Fly
    Wishlist
    Pilate
    Do the Evolution
    Dot
    MFC
    Low Light
    In Hiding
    Push Me, Pull Me
    All Those Yesterdays

Excellent idea. Let's do this. I gotta think of some answers. I'll get back with you.

• Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131

Brain of J
    Faithfull
    No Way
    Given to Fly
    Wishlist
    Pilate
    Do the Evolution
    Dot
    MFC
    Low Light
    In Hiding
    Push Me, Pull Me
    All Those Yesterdays

awesome idea! yet sometimes difficult to do! ok we are comparring them by similar lyrical content correct? this will take me a while..i'll get it done eventually
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    awesome idea! yet sometimes difficult to do! ok we are comparring them by similar lyrical content correct? this will take me a while..i'll get it done eventually
    I'd say we're comparing them by whatever means you want.
    Lyrics, sound, vibe, etc.
    I guess the point is to make a record that embodies the core values of YIELD while still maintaining some semblance of a cohesive record.

Each song should get a one or two sentence explanation, I reckon.
  • Options
    Here's my first draft, just to get everyone going.

Brain of J - 'Joe's Head' - Kings of Leon

Another catchy song about someone getting shot in the head. I could've gone with 'Ace of Spades' here, but held back.

Faithfull - x

No Way - 'Hurt Like Mine' - The Black Keys

I'm going with the sound here on this one, it's got that real funky groove. Probably too bluesy for YIELD, but an idea.

Given to Fly - 'Man in Me' - Bob Dylan

Had to squeeze some Lebowksi in here somewhere. The Dude flies on his rug during this point in the film, just as the character in the song rises above the Nihilists trying to cut off his johnson. Or something like that.

Wishlist - 'Chinese Translation' - M. Ward (w/ Neko Case and Jim James)

A great song here about a young man asking a wise man three important questions. So you've got the list thing going on. In YIELD themes, this song cuts to his three questions: what do I do with the pieces of a broken heart?, how does a man like me remain in the light?, if life is really as short as they say, why is the night so long? Musically, it kicks ass, and I think the questions get to the essence of YIELD in questioning how one should live one's life.

Pilate - 'Jesus, etc.' - Wilco

Strange religious themes, and an unbearable chorus. A winning combination...I think this one has some of what Pilate gets at for me, which is when Tweedy sings about "Our love is all we have..." that gets to the characters in Master and Margarita and their motives.

Do the Evolution - 'Smallpox Champion' - Fugazi

Had to be loud and political. Also gets to the issues about European colonization and the Native Americans, so this seemed like an easy one to me.

Dot - x

MFC - "Urge for Going" - Dave van Ronk

Actually an old Joni Mitchell song, but Dave van Ronk does an amazing version of it. It's a bout getting the hell out of town when the feeling hits, and van Ronk's rendition is stark and gorgeous.

Low Light - 'Golden' - My Morning Jacket

This has to be a pretty song, and I really had to tie it into M&M as well. Jim James ends this one with "On heaven's golden shore we'll lay our heads" and I think that's what Jeff was trying to get at in Low Light with the characters in that book and like Pilate, explain their motives.

In Hiding - 'Change' - Blind Melon

Great, great upbeat song about turning things around. I think that's what In Hiding is about to me too...taking stock, taking some time off and away and putting all the pieces together. Change isn't as powerful a riff and as huge and as sonic as In Hiding, but thematically I see it as very close.

Push Me, Pull Me - 'All Must Pay' - Joe Lally

Great track off his solo record from 2006..Joe played bass in Fugazi, most notably. Rambling, bass driven spoken word/mumbled singing track about "All must live, all must pay." This one just jumped out at me, a great one, I think matches both the lyrics and vibe of PMPM very well.

All Those Yesterdays - x

Still got a few to work on and these may change, but it's a start.
  • Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,841
    8/5 Chicago, Illinois -- DTE.

I have an odd feeling this will happen.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    I have an odd feeling this will happen.
    I heard they are going to play Riot Act in its entirety and walk off the stage.
  • Options
    I heard they are going to play Riot Act in its entirety and walk off the stage.

Cincy was last year. ;)

PBM

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Cincy was last year. ;)

PBM

Wiping his ass with YIELD postcards, telling us that Pearl Jam is a band, not an album from 1998.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Here's my first draft, just to get everyone going.

Brain of J - 'Joe's Head' - Kings of Leon

Another catchy song about someone getting shot in the head. I could've gone with 'Ace of Spades' here, but held back.

Faithfull - x

No Way - 'Hurt Like Mine' - The Black Keys

I'm going with the sound here on this one, it's got that real funky groove. Probably too bluesy for YIELD, but an idea.

Given to Fly - 'Man in Me' - Bob Dylan

Had to squeeze some Lebowksi in here somewhere. The Dude flies on his rug during this point in the film, just as the character in the song rises above the Nihilists trying to cut off his johnson. Or something like that.

Wishlist - 'Chinese Translation' - M. Ward (w/ Neko Case and Jim James)

A great song here about a young man asking a wise man three important questions. So you've got the list thing going on. In YIELD themes, this song cuts to his three questions: what do I do with the pieces of a broken heart?, how does a man like me remain in the light?, if life is really as short as they say, why is the night so long? Musically, it kicks ass, and I think the questions get to the essence of YIELD in questioning how one should live one's life.

Pilate - 'Jesus, etc.' - Wilco

Strange religious themes, and an unbearable chorus. A winning combination...I think this one has some of what Pilate gets at for me, which is when Tweedy sings about "Our love is all we have..." that gets to the characters in Master and Margarita and their motives.

Do the Evolution - 'Smallpox Champion' - Fugazi

Had to be loud and political. Also gets to the issues about European colonization and the Native Americans, so this seemed like an easy one to me.

Dot - x

MFC - "Urge for Going" - Dave van Ronk

Actually an old Joni Mitchell song, but Dave van Ronk does an amazing version of it. It's a bout getting the hell out of town when the feeling hits, and van Ronk's rendition is stark and gorgeous.

Low Light - 'Golden' - My Morning Jacket

This has to be a pretty song, and I really had to tie it into M&M as well. Jim James ends this one with "On heaven's golden shore we'll lay our heads" and I think that's what Jeff was trying to get at in Low Light with the characters in that book and like Pilate, explain their motives.

In Hiding - 'Change' - Blind Melon

Great, great upbeat song about turning things around. I think that's what In Hiding is about to me too...taking stock, taking some time off and away and putting all the pieces together. Change isn't as powerful a riff and as huge and as sonic as In Hiding, but thematically I see it as very close.

Push Me, Pull Me - 'All Must Pay' - Joe Lally

Great track off his solo record from 2006..Joe played bass in Fugazi, most notably. Rambling, bass driven spoken word/mumbled singing track about "All must live, all must pay." This one just jumped out at me, a great one, I think matches both the lyrics and vibe of PMPM very well.

All Those Yesterdays - x

Still got a few to work on and these may change, but it's a start.

Very nice Will. Especially In Hiding and DTE. Your picks for those are perfect. Anyway, I've been busy all yesterday afternoon and haven't had a lot of time to think too deeply about this, but I'll take a stab at a few of them off the top of my head.

Brain Of J - "Behind Closed Doors" by Rise Against

This song has a similar punk style verses with the catchier chorus structure, but lyrically is where I really connect the 2: "About the time we gave up hoping / We'd ever find these locks still open / Stumbling on stones unturned / The hurt we feel, we all have earned / The lines we cross in search of change / but all they see is treason...Although we have no obligation to stay alive / On broken backs we beg for mercy, we will survive / (Break out) I won't be left here / Behind closed doors." To me, it fits the theme of Brain Of J (for me) which is the pressure of external forces breaking us down to the point of needing change.

Faithfull - "Jesus Christ" by Brand New

In the same way Faithfull so delicately balances the themes of relationships and religion, so too, does "Jesus Christ". It starts out completely dealing with relationship issues and then suddenly but seemlessly begins to deeply discuss the narrator's battle with religion/spirituality. It also has a killer bridge. "I know you're coming for the people like me / But we all got wood and nails / And we turn out hate in factories" Kind of a twisted take on the whole "we all believe" thing.

No Way - Not sure on this one yet

GTF - "Going to California" by Led Zeppelin

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Wishlist - "I Wish" by Skee-Lo

I wish I was little bit taller,
    I wish I was a baller,
    I wish I had a girl who looked good
    I would call her
    I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
    and a six four Impala

Pilate - ...

DTE - I have to stick with your pick here. Smallpox Champion is such an obvious choice, I wish I woulda thought of it myself.

Red Dot - ...

MFC - ...

Low Light - "There Is" by Box Car Racer

I think this one deals with love, which is a departure from Low Light, but where I find the connection is the bridge between the past and the future that I get in Low Light. "There Is" is all about looking back at the past, reflecting on how you got away from it, and where it might lead you in the future. The yearning is so real in both songs.

In Hiding -

I'm tempted to just agree with you here, too, because I think "Change" is perfect. But I need to think about this one a little bit more.

Push Me, Pull Me - "Disconnected" by Rollins Band

Again, another spoken word classic, Henry talks quite vivdly about the disconnect between being an analytical person and the mental toll it takes on us. Not an apples to apples comparison to PMPM (for one thing, Disconnected lacks the resolution that can be found in PMPM), but I think both songs are EXCELLENT in the way they deal with inner conflicts and the effects it has on external forces.

All Those Yesterdays -

This one is gonna be tough. I really have to think this one through.

Anyway, it's a start. I love this topic, I just have too much music to pour through to find the best fit for each song.

• Options
    RK...good stuff.

I like the "I wish I was a little bit taller...", now there's a good one...

;)

I'll have to think of a serious one for GTF...
    Faithfull and ATY will be most challenging for me, because musically they are both unique and lyrically chock full of so many things, it's hard to pick something that's on equal footing.

I really feel like a MMJ song has to take ATY for me, just because they match the space it creates...how huge the sound is, especially that last riff.
    But Golden works so well for me at Low Light, and I'm trying to branch out.

Good start, I'll have to check out the ones I'm not familiar with on your list.
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Excellent idea. Let's do this. I gotta think of some answers. I'll get back with you.

Dude, what's it like being the "Rock King"?
  • Options
    RK...good stuff.

I like the "I wish I was a little bit taller...", now there's a good one...

;)

I'll have to think of a serious one for GTF...
    Faithfull and ATY will be most challenging for me, because musically they are both unique and lyrically chock full of so many things, it's hard to pick something that's on equal footing.

I really feel like a MMJ song has to take ATY for me, just because they match the space it creates...how huge the sound is, especially that last riff.
    But Golden works so well for me at Low Light, and I'm trying to branch out.

Good start, I'll have to check out the ones I'm not familiar with on your list.

Yeah, Wishlist was just screaming for me to pick Skee-Lo.

It's hard to find songs that match both musically and lyrically, so I tended to focus on lyrically while trying to find something that was at least in the same ballpark musically, at least from a stylistic point of view.

I think ATY is by far the toughest to do because it's such a perfect song. Every time I try to compare a song to ATY, it just feels....not sacriligious, but shallow....like it's laughable at how far short it falls of ATY.

• Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Dude, what's it like being the "Rock King"?

I think Run DMC summed my life up pretty well:

I'm the king of rock, there is none higher
    Sucker MC's should call me sire
    To burn my kingdom, you must use fire
    I won't stop rockin' till I retire

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    I think Run DMC summed my life up pretty well:

I'm the king of rock, there is none higher
    Sucker MC's should call me sire
    To burn my kingdom, you must use fire
    I won't stop rockin' till I retire

Awesome!

Anyone remember when DAYZ came on the juke at the Beer Sellar before the Cincy show? That was a moment.
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Awesome!

Anyone remember when DAYZ came on the juke at the Beer Sellar before the Cincy show? That was a moment.

I remember it only because I knew I was in a room with people who actually get the song as much as I do.