Options

Beheaded by ISIS

Comments

• Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069

and if these radical muslims did by some weird chance turn the U.S into a muslim nation would you follow them at that point ..or would you be a real American and fight...somehow I doubt you would but please feel free to prove me wrong.

holy christ jesus what in the good fuck
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    The knife they used to saw was from the US, their training from the US, their weapons from the US.
    Killing is killing dead is dead, whether it be by knife, missile, bomb, rifle, gun all the same result.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,615
    fuck said:

and if these radical muslims did by some weird chance turn the U.S into a muslim nation would you follow them at that point ..or would you be a real American and fight...somehow I doubt you would but please feel free to prove me wrong.

Is this real life? Did someone really type that? Holy hell.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    fuck said:

I agree, fuck. No words.

I will be a real human at all costs, and I will fight injustices that aim to strip people of their voices or other basic human liberties.

Also, has America ever acted in radical ways to attempt to pivot the path of other nations to make them mirror America's own? They wouldn't do that, would they? By the way, since this is the internet and you probably can't see my incredulous face right now - I meant this to be dripping with sarcasm.

I pledge no allegiance to any flag.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    edited August 2014
    Based on the most recent news and news analysis, I believe the beheading was for the purpose of extorting the U.S. and likely Britain also, to pay ransom for American and Brit hostages as other countries are doing. They wanted to make a horrific demonstration to extort governments who won't pay. What's been happening is that the other countries who are paying millions for the return of their hostages are financing ISIS and their slaughtering ways. They are financing more murder. We don't pay ransoms and to go down that road would only add to the terrorism.

And GF, if you'd like me to change the subject line to Beheaded by ISIS, just let me know. It seems more accurate since ISIS is killing mostly Muslims and has beheaded more of them and the recent executioner is suspected of being a Brit. Have a good weekend.

Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    a bit out of line
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Kat said:

Based on the most recent news and news analysis, I believe the beheading was for the purpose of extorting the U.S. and likely Britain also, to pay ransom for American and Brit hostages as other countries are doing. They wanted to make a horrific demonstration to extort governments who won't pay. What's been happening is that the other countries who are paying millions for the return of their hostages are financing ISIS and their slaughtering ways. They are financing more murder. We don't pay ransoms and to go down that road would only add to the terrorism.

And GF, if you'd like me to change the subject line to Beheaded by ISIS, just let me know. It seems more accurate since ISIS is killing mostly Muslims and has beheaded more of them and the recent executioner is suspected of being a Brit. Have a good weekend.

Great to see you participating in non-strictly-administrative ways here, Kat! Coexistence between Pearl Jam fans and moderators is not a myth :D
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,675
    edited August 2014
    badbrains said:

No surprise here that you're the first to come and post this. 1.6 billion Muslims with 99.999999999999% who are PEACEFUL, but let's forget that and talk about a group that our military can wipe out in 3 mins. So what's the issue? Why not take them out? Why keep them around? Oh ya, we need a bad guy to keep the war machine going. Where's your crying GF on gaza? Why aren't you up and arms, screaming about all the dead INNOCENT children on the streets of Gaza. Shit, 3 were murdered just last night. Why no rage from you? Oh, that's right, cuz they're Muslim so it's OK to kill them. Pages and pages of slaughters happening against innocent civilians in gaza and GF posts something about Muslims beheading a journalist. Did you hear his voice,
    Sounds British to me. Mite want to attack England next for sending these guys over there.

I agree with your basic premise here. But 99.99999999999%? Not even close. More like 75%. It is now estimated that about 25% of Middle Eastern Muslims land on the extremist side.
    One thing I do think is that, while the majority of Muslims are peaceful, the majority is also very nonactive in countering the radical ones. The Muslim world should be doing a LOT more to quell radicalism. As it is, they do almost nothing. I don't understand why they don't. These radical Muslims hurt them all, yet there is close to no action against it within their own communities.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    uhhh i think the u.s. does pay ransoms with terrorists as i just watched a bit of a special on it the other day but sure as shit they don't want that info out there
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    They also trade prisoners for hostages, as we saw not long ago.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    right, pjsoul... & they are supposed al Qaeda shitheads

let's watch
    http://youtu.be/Xsfs73oBzMI

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

It is now estimated that about 25% of Middle Eastern Muslims land on the extremist side.

I'm not familiar with this study. Is this the one that was conducted by the think tank called "My Ass"?
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

It is now estimated that about 25% of Middle Eastern Muslims land on the extremist side.

I'm not familiar with this study. Is this the one that was conducted by the think tank called "My Ass"?
    If it really is 25% then u better get ready for a take over lol. That's what, 400,000,000 MILLION extreme Muslims. What army can beat that?
  • Options
    fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

It's estimated by polls conducted in Muslim nations, asking about who is concerned about terrorist groups, if they think suicide bombing is justified or not, etc. The results average out to around 25% supporting extremist actions (making those people extremists themselves... when I say they are extremists it doesn't mean they are necessarily the ones going around murdering people. it means their views are extremist views. I.e. supporting the Taliban, supporting terrorism and other extremist actions). Of course, this also means that a good 75% are very concerned about extremists in their countries. Now why that large majority doesn't do or say more against it, I do not know.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

It's estimated by polls conducted in Muslim nations, asking about who is concerned about terrorist groups, if they think suicide bombing is justified or not, etc. The results average out to around 25% supporting extremist actions (making those people extremists themselves... when I say they are extremists it doesn't mean they are necessarily the ones going around murdering people. it means their views are extremist views. I.e. supporting the Taliban, supporting terrorism and other extremist actions). Of course, this also means that a good 75% are very concerned about extremists in their countries. Now why that large majority doesn't do or say more against it, I do not know.

Ah, since you've neglected to mention, for the second time, who conducted these "polls", then I am left to assume it was My Ass! Thanks for clarifying.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm going to agree with fuck here: that is a tremendously large number, and saying "polls conducted in Muslim nations" has no validity unless you show the specific polls themselves.

EV
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ah, since you've neglected to mention, for the second time, who conducted these "polls", then I am left to assume it was My Ass! Thanks for clarifying.
    http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/01/concerns-about-islamic-extremism-on-the-rise-in-middle-east/

Again, the focus is on those who DON'T support extremist views, which is a good perspective.

Just wondering how anyone could claim that 99.9999999999% of Muslims are not extremists. That is blatantly ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/01/concerns-about-islamic-extremism-on-the-rise-in-middle-east/

Again, the focus is on those who DON'T support extremist views, which is a good perspective.

Just wondering how anyone could claim that 99.9999999999% of Muslims are not extremists. That is blatantly ridiculous.
    No more BLATANTLY ridiculous then claiming 25% are extreme. Again, that makes what, 400,000,000 MILLION. Think about it for a second, 400,000,000 MILLION. What's the population in America?
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    I think PJ Soul's claim is over the top. Just like Byrnzie's claim that 95% of Israelis support massacring Palestinians was.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    badbrains said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

No more BLATANTLY ridiculous then claiming 25% are extreme. Again, that makes what, 400,000,000 MILLION. Think about it for a second, 400,000,000 MILLION. What's the population in America?
    I don't see how 25% of them supporting extremist views is ridiculous. You have been paying attention to the fucking chaos going on in the Muslim world right now, right? That kind of chaos wouldn't be possible if as few people supported extremist views as other have guessed at (completely GUESSED... why am I the only one being told I'm talking out of my ass??? At least I posted an article with poll results to support what I said. Is it because this delusion about only 1% or whatever of Muslim are extremist is so much more pleasant?).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't see how 25% of them supporting extremist views is ridiculous. You have been paying attention to the fucking chaos going on in the Muslim world right now, right? That kind of chaos wouldn't be possible if as few people supported extremist views as other have guessed at (completely GUESSED... why am I the only one being told I'm talking out of my ass??? At least I posted an article with poll results to support what I said. Is it because this delusion about only 1% or whatever of Muslim are extremist is so much more pleasant?).
    Here, I'll change it for u, 87.99999999999% of Muslims are peaceful Muslims. U happy now? How's your peace and love thing working out for you? U seem very angry.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

PJ_Soul said:

badbrains said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

Here, I'll change it for u, 87.99999999999% of Muslims are peaceful Muslims. U happy now? How's your peace and love thing working out for you? U seem very angry.
    No idea what you're talking about. I am not one of the people you kept accusing of being members of the peace and love brigade.
    But I'm not angry at all. I'm just discussing this. What did I say to make me sound angry? :-/
  • Options
    I think there are probably around an equal percentage of nutty extremists within each ethnic/religious group.

That's one of the reasons why us Jews get so defensive - cuz there's so damn few of us.

Not an excuse for hurting people though.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

I find that semantics need to be considered for something like drawing conclusions from polls.

Your conclusion that you drew was that 25% of Middle Eastern Muslims support extremist actions. The poll which I assume you're referring to was the one asking "Are you concerned, or not concerned, about Islamic extremism in our country?". If you are a Muslim in a predominantly Islamic state, are you going to be concerned about Islamic extremism? I would personally assume not. From my perspective, I see this as a poll relating to tolerating extremist actions - not condoning them. I find this to be a significant distinction.

Some questions I would have liked to have seen posed:
    -If all people were granted equal rights, would you support the lifestyles of people from all religions (assuming their expressions of freedoms do not inhibit your own)?
    -Do you support the killing of people from outside of your own religion because they are not part of your own religion?
    -Do you support the forced conversions of people from outside of your own religion?

Also, for what it's worth, although the Global Attitudes Project is run by the Pew Research Center (whose claim is a nonpartisan existence) in Washington, D.C., there is truly no such thing as unbiased anything: even statistics are manipulated to favour one party over another on a fairly regular basis (and typically at great expense).

EV
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Kat said:

Was that ransom, at 132 million, even a legitimate demand though? My uneducated guess was that they just wanted the US to know who they are fucking with. Really, 132 million? I could see if they asked for 1 million or 3, or 5 million, but 132 million is just ludicrous. seemed like a ridiculous formality to send a message that the US cannot save their people perhaps.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

I think there are probably around an equal percentage of nutty extremists within each ethnic/religious group.

That's one of the reasons why us Jews get so defensive - cuz there's so damn few of us.

Not an excuse for hurting people though.

You think so? You don't think that Islamic extremism is on a different level when compared to most other ethnic or religious groups? It seems to me like it's a bigger problem than in other cases.....

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

Alright, finally you presented something that I can take apart.

There are several issues with this poll. From the outset though, I have to say that I still don't see where you got the "25% of Muslims are extremists" figure. It's nowhere in that poll.

As for the poll, it is extremely obvious that there is a political bias at play here. The questions asked do not allow for any actual contextualization. For instance, one very obvious point is the fact that it connects suicide bombing directly with "Islamic extremism". This is an absolutely false premise. The notion that suicide bombing comes from "Islamic extremism" was absolutely discredited by Robert Pape's book Dying to Win: http://www.amazon.com/Dying-Win-Strategic-Suicide-Terrorism/dp/0812973380

It's foolish to take suicide bombing as some sort of Islamic extremist ideology as opposed to one tied purely to resistance. Speaking of resistance, the poll does not actually allow for any explanation as to the reasons why people are against the different movements mentioned: for instance, Hamas is not disliked by people due to it being an Islamist movement (nevermind that the article casually associates Hamas and Hezbollah with Al Qaeda when there is a BIG difference between these movements). It is disliked by people due to the fact that it has not governed efficiently and effectively by many Palestinians' standards. Guess what? MOST governments that are voted in have popularity dips during their time governing. But support for Hamas' resistance wing remains very strong among Palestinians. On the other hand, Hamas was ALWAYS an Islamist movement, including when it was voted in office. It would be nonsensical to see their popularity dip be due to a rejection of "Islamic extremism".

Similarly, Hezbollah has had a massive popularity dip due to their role supporting Assad in Syria. Before, especially after the 2006 war with Israel, they had massive popularity throughout the Arab/Muslim world. This is not due to a support or rejection of "Islamic extremism". It is due to the fact that they are a movement resisting Israel's regional hegemony and occupation. And when they went into another regional conflict, their popularity dipped hugely.

NONE of this has anything to do with Islamic extremism. Even Al Qaeda, who are ACTUALLY extremists, are not solely identifiable by their extremism. They are definitely the most who are identified by their ideology (as opposed to solely resistance, social programs like those run by Hezbollah and Hamas, and so on), which is why their popularity is by far the lowest among all the groups.

This poll is extremely poor and its casual equating of Hamas/Hezbollah with Al Qaeda shows that it does not allow for any contextualization as to where these groups grew from, the various things that people may support about them, and the fact that to most Muslims in the Middle East they are not identified solely, or even primarily by their ideology. They are identified by what they ACTUALLY do which involves resistance, social programs such as charities, clinics and orphanages, the way they govern politically, and so on.

Despite all that, I still don't see where you got your numbers from. It's really bizarre, but not unexpected from you. Any excuse to present false information about Islam/Muslims to emphasize the point you've been making here for a while ("Islam is the worst of the religions!") which is pretty much the same as the nonsense the likes of Bill Maher have been promoting for a while. It's convenient for someone with this type of agenda, but unfortunately does not reflect reality. The Middle East is a much more complicated place than you seem to want to give it credit for.
  • Options
    benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

I find that semantics need to be considered for something like drawing conclusions from polls.

Your conclusion that you drew was that 25% of Middle Eastern Muslims support extremist actions. The poll which I assume you're referring to was the one asking "Are you concerned, or not concerned, about Islamic extremism in our country?". If you are a Muslim in a predominantly Islamic state, are you going to be concerned about Islamic extremism? I would personally assume not. From my perspective, I see this as a poll relating to tolerating extremist actions - not condoning them. I find this to be a significant distinction.

-If all people were granted equal rights, would you support the lifestyles of people from all religions (assuming their expressions of freedoms do not inhibit your own)?
    -Do you support the killing of people from outside of your own religion because they are not part of your own religion?
    -Do you support the forced conversions of people from outside of your own religion?

Also, for what it's worth, although the Global Attitudes Project is run by the Pew Research Center (whose claim is a nonpartisan existence) in Washington, D.C., there is truly no such thing as unbiased anything: even statistics are manipulated to favour one party over another on a fairly regular basis (and typically at great expense).

Well put. for those questions that you'd like to see asked, feel free to check out "Who Speaks for Islam?": http://www.amazon.com/Who-Speaks-Islam-Billion-Muslims/dp/1595620176/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408651485&sr=1-1&keywords=who+speaks+for+islam
  • Options
    fuck said:

benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

fuck said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well put. for those questions that you'd like to see asked, feel free to check out "Who Speaks for Islam?": http://www.amazon.com/Who-Speaks-Islam-Billion-Muslims/dp/1595620176/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408651485&sr=1-1&keywords=who+speaks+for+islam
    Thanks, fuck. I will be checking this book out, but I was wondering what you think of the negative comments in the Amazon reviews, alluding to some serious manipulation (and lack of transparency) of polling data on which the book is based. One of the comments linked to this, for example. http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/066chpzg.asp#

EV
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Kat, yes please do.
    Badbrains...still blown away by your post about the radical muslims that took some balls, you will never read any post from me questioning your personal faith again
    now excuse me while I have some humble pie. LOL !

Godfather.