Police abuse

Comments

• callen said:

Cops know what to say to s

dignin said:
    Man that's a lot of crime.

Think of all the criminals that don't get shot too.

People need to stop committing crimes.
    So how do we keep people from committing crimes. Arrests and incarceration isn't working so have to spend energy on education, jobs, family and social justice.
    You're not going to get an argument from me here, Callen.

If we spent more money on the front end being proactive and less on the back end reacting... we'd stand a chance of curbing crime.

People need hope. Without it... some resort to horrendous behaviours that hurt themselves and, worse, others. Those not born to good fortune need exceptional luck to overcome their disadvantaged place in life. Those born to privilege need to recognize the gift they've been given and not resist things like taxes for social safety nets.

We have good social programs in Canada and I wouldn't want it any other way. Yes... there is abuse and yes... there are some shortcomings, however the general mentality is that we all lead pretty good lives and we need to concern ourselves for the people who struggle.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

Haha. I'm glad someone has it all figured out. ;)
    My brain's a good brain.

Do you know where that's from? I'll give you a hint (don't freakin' Google it)... stupid movie.
    Idiocracy? I really have no idea....
    Tropic Thunder.
    Oh, I saw that movie when it first came out. Don't remember if it was good or not.
    Me and my stupid friends got a kick out of it at the time. I'm not recommending it... I just wanted you to know that I wasn't some kind of guy that walks around telling people 'my brain is a good brain'.

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

My brain's a good brain.

Do you know where that's from? I'll give you a hint (don't freakin' Google it)... stupid movie.
    Tropic Thunder.
    Oh, I saw that movie when it first came out. Don't remember if it was good or not.
    Me and my stupid friends got a kick out of it at the time. I'm not recommending it... I just wanted you to know that I wasn't some kind of guy that walks around telling people 'my brain is a good brain'.
    You should recommend it 30.I love Tropic Thunder.IMO One of Tom Cruises greatest roles.
    Ever since that movie ,anytime we meet a girl named Amanda or talk about a Panda we break into."You killed Amanda"No aPanda" Schtick .Also Robert Downey was great.
    Now I'm going have to fire it up again this weekend.

dignin said:

I like this.Just think of all the idiot criminals cops haven't shot.See that's good or right there.
  • rr165892 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

My brain's a good brain.

Tropic Thunder.

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

My brain's a good brain.

Tropic Thunder.
    You should recommend it 30.I love Tropic Thunder.IMO One of Tom Cruises greatest roles.
    Ever since that movie ,anytime we meet a girl named Amanda or talk about a Panda we break into."You killed Amanda"No aPanda" Schtick .Also Robert Downey was great.
    Now I'm going have to fire it up again this weekend.
    "It ain't nothin' but a thing." LOL

I might have to check it out again too. The more I think about it... the more I start to laugh my ass off.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Had to chime in on Tropic Thunder. LOVED it. Always dig off/inappropriate humor. McCaughnahey (sure I butchered his name) was great in it too.
    hedonist said:

Had to chime in on Tropic Thunder. LOVED it. Always dig off/inappropriate humor. McCaughnahey (sure I butchered his name) was great in it too.

G5.......Tuggernaut...........yeah he was great also
    hedo,the movies with inappropriate hum our always seem to capture my attention and resonate the longest.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The only thing I remember about it was that I laughed more than I thought I would, and there was a serious case of blackface.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    edited September 2015
    What do you think about police actions here....
    No, seriously.........warning this could be brutal.

http://youtu.be/O7VreBFUons

The story behind this story....
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/09/25/delaware-officers-involved-shooting-man-wheelchair/72790200/

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/09/25/delaware-officers-involved-shooting-man-wheelchair/72790200/

Peace

Sure is sad. Looked like he was trying to pull something out. Even the camera man said "he's reaching". Obviously nobody wants to see someone killed, but what choice did he give the police?
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

g under p said:

Peace

Sure is sad. Looked like he was trying to pull something out. Even the camera man said "he's reaching". Obviously nobody wants to see someone killed, but what choice did he give the police?
    He already tried shooting himself. Do t blame the police.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    edited September 2015
    http://youtu.be/RtgKtBAsk34

Not Even Motherhood Evokes Empathy

"http://blog.simplejustice.us/2015/09/29/not-even-motherhood-evokes-empathy/#comments 3 Comments
    Contrary to popular belief, the idea that compassion and empathy are missing from police training is https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDsQFjAEahUKEwjw6oaaiZzIAhVDVj4KHTWvCwM&url=http://www.policeone.com/standoff/articles/77225-Compassion-and-empathy/&usg=AFQjCNHpA1zF_D5PhQU3VZusAcfolIWHHQ&sig2=BUkcxvTkfK7KFouaRMB5YA"]hardly a new idea[/url]. And, ironically, much of the concern isn’t about police empathy toward others, but the [url="https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CGQQFjAJahUKEwjw6oaaiZzIAhVDVj4KHTWvCwM&url=http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=3059&issue_id=92013&usg=AFQjCNHdezmR56nb86jzI5WdOXV3E7G4BQ&sig2=l4OI3foWNIQep0H5g52i9Q lack of compassion and empathy shown police. For those inclined toward emotional solutions, the idea that things will get better if we all share a big group hug seems sound.
    And yet, what situation could be more universal, more susceptible to compassion and empathy, than a woman being rushed to the hospital to give birth?
    The cops who stopped the car, guns drawn, ready to kill, fell https://news.vice.com/article/video-shows-cops-pulling-guns-on-indiana-couple-driving-to-hospital-to-give-birth a bit short on the empathy meter.
    An Indiana couple who were on their way to the hospital to give birth claim that police officers unlawfully pulled them over and then pointed a gun at the pregnant woman’s belly while arresting the father-to-be so that he missed his daughter’s birth.
    Dana and James Reiner were driving to the hospital in January 2012 when a police cruiser turned on its siren and lights to signal the car to pull over. James Reiner instead called 911 to alert the police vehicle that he and his wife was on their way to give birth and continued driving for another mile before pulling over after the police cruiser persisted.
    There are few things that will anger a cop more than failing to pull over when the lights go on. It both gives rise to the suspicion that the driver presents some amorphous threat of criminality, and it’s an affront to their authority. Cops hate that.

As soon as James Reiner opens the car door and before he can get out of the car, Hebron officer Anthony Dandurand can he heard in the video yelling at him to show his hands. “I will shoot you, you piece of shit! Get on the ground!”
    Reiner, who was about to fall sharply off the http://blog.simplejustice.us/2014/02/18/falling-down-the-good-guy-curve/ good guy curve, tried to explain, because good guys think that police are interested and open to explanation. He quickly learned otherwise.

Even as Reiner tries to plead with the officer, Dandurand shoves the man’s head onto the ground and handcuffs him.
    Meanwhile Dana Reiner is desperately crying “I’m in labor.”
    She later told the NW Times that when she got out of the car to show the officers her water had broken she saw a laser gun sight on her belly, as the other cop, Travis Thomas, tells her to “get back in the f***ing car.”
    At this point, one might suspect that the officers, hearing Dana Reiner scream “I’m in labor,” might shift sets, realize they weren’t dealing with Ma Barker, but ma-to-be Reiner. No threat to their lives. No disrespect intended. Just an Indiana couple whose understanding of police reasonableness came from watching too many TV shows.
    Anthony Dandurand may well be dismissed under the “one bad apple” trope as being a cop so psychologically deficient on the compassion scale as to be a monumentally bad choice of individuals to give a gun and shield. But the systemic reaction, once its realized that Dana Reiner really is in labor and they really do have a medical emergency in their laser sights.

The video also includes some remarkable audio: After the police realize that the couple really did have a medical emergency, one officer can be heard saying, twice, “I’ll get rid of the video.” Another officer, presumably Dandurand since it’s his cruiser’s dash cam video, can be heard saying, “Ah, I don’t care about the video.”
    The reaction is telling in two ways, both the immediate resort to ditching the evidence of their wrongdoing, and the brazen response of not fearing the video, which apparently can be “disappeared” when it doesn’t reflect well on them.
    One common question, when video reveals flagrant police misconduct, is how they can be so stupid as to not realize they’re being recorded. This is your answer: they just don’t care enough, having no concern that their wrongs, even if seen by a few million of the closest admirers, is of any consequences. This is an astounding thing, the hubris of believing that they are, truly, above reproach.
    And as the reaction of their chief to all of this shows, Dandurand has good reason to be so brazen.

Portage Police Chief Troy Williams has defended Officer Dandurand, saying he had been a model employee since joining his department in 2012 and “should not be demonized for one unfortunate incident.”
    It strains credulity that Dandurand has never had another “unfortunate incident,” given shocking lack of compassion and empathy, but that’s speculative. The point is that Chief Williams defended his “model employee” and criticized those who would “demonize” a cop’s demonic conduct. As prosecutors like to remind us when an otherwise good person commits a bad act, nobody gets a first murder for free.
    Is the problem that cops like Dandurand haven’t been trained properly? His actions, from the perspective of police training, may well be viewed as textbook, having “chased” the car for a mile (he claimed it was five miles, but that proved to be a lie) and not knowing with certainty that the Reiners posed no threat.
    A cop can be trained to pull his weapon in anticipation of a risk. He can be trained to aim at center mass. But should any human being require training to show some small degree of compassion and empathy when facing one of the most empathetic of situations, a woman in labor being rushed to the hospital to give birth? Maybe the problem is that, while they can’t be trained in empathy, empathy can be trained out of them. And if Chief Williams doesn’t see this confrontation of being worthy of “demonization,” then what lack of compassion is?

http://blog.simplejustice.us/2015/09/29/not-even-motherhood-evokes-empathy/

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

I can't watch the video with audio until I get home, and I get the officers were pissed off at the couple not immediately pulling over (not "demonic" though...I mean, c'mon - somewhat biased in that and other phrases throughout the article, no?), AND I can sympathize that the couple was anxious to get to the hospital quickly, but to not pull over as initially requested, then both driver and passenger get out of the car right away? I don't know what Indiana is like, but here that'd get you in a shitload of trouble.

Anyway, I'll definitely check it out later on, g.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,869
    edited September 2015
    From the above story:

"The video also includes some remarkable audio: After the police realize that the couple really did have a medical emergency, one officer can be heard saying, twice, “I’ll get rid of the video.” Another officer, presumably Dandurand since it’s his cruiser’s dash cam video, can be heard saying, “Ah, I don’t care about the video.”

That doesn't surprise me one little bit. I believe that cops cover shit up on a regular basis. These comments just show how casually they view police cover ups (and how stupid they are).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

From the above story:

"The video also includes some remarkable audio: After the police realize that the couple really did have a medical emergency, one officer can be heard saying, twice, “I’ll get rid of the video.” Another officer, presumably Dandurand since it’s his cruiser’s dash cam video, can be heard saying, “Ah, I don’t care about the video.”

That doesn't surprise me one little bit. I believe that cops cover shit up on a regular basis. These comments just show how casually they view police cover ups (and how stupid they are).

That's why I went back and put that paragraph in bold. It's unreal the callousness those officers showed and that they know of a way to dump video of possible wrongdoing that may occur. I mean would they want a family member of there's to be treated that way EVEN after its come to be that the couple one mile drive while under police lights was legit?

Peace

hedonist said:

I can't watch the video with audio until I get home, and I get the officers were pissed off at the couple not immediately pulling over (not "demonic" though...I mean, c'mon - somewhat biased in that and other phrases throughout the article, no?), AND I can sympathize that the couple was anxious to get to the hospital quickly, but to not pull over as initially requested, then both driver and passenger get out of the car right away? I don't know what Indiana is like, but here that'd get you in a shitload of trouble.

Anyway, I'll definitely check it out later on, g.

I've had that very same drive at 10:30 at night and let me tell you I was nervous as hell. The last thing on your mind is that an officer might pull his gun on you. I was concerned about my wife at the time and the possibility that my first born might be born in my car. The couple continued driving because like that father to be....wanted to get to the hospital. It wasn't like he was trying to get away at speed....he even had his hazards on.

Peace

Isn't police video footage automatically uploaded / saved somewhere? If not, it should be. I don't know what was going through his head, but is it possible the one officer wasn't worried about the video because he felt it being seen wasn't detrimental?

And g, my parents were speeding to the hospital when my mom was in labor with me. Middle of the night, they get pulled over. Maybe it's that it was a different era (well, it was =) ) or that my dad complied, but the officer ended up escorting them to the hospital with full lights and siren.
    hedonist said:

Isn't police video footage automatically uploaded / saved somewhere? If not, it should be. I don't know what was going through his head, but is it possible the one officer wasn't worried about the video because he felt it being seen wasn't detrimental?

And g, my parents were speeding to the hospital when my mom was in labor with me. Middle of the night, they get pulled over. Maybe it's that it was a different era (well, it was =) ) or that my dad complied, but the officer ended up escorting them to the hospital with full lights and siren.

I was nervous yes but I was kool like the other side of the pillow. I remember driving real slow, I was in no hurry and if my then wife started to give birth on my 5 mile drive to the hospital I knew what to do (I practiced the drive a couple times with a packed suitcase) just in case. Ten hours later watched the whole birth go down, loved the whole scene. Especially when our doctor said its a boy...I was like YES! Then our Doctor says oops, what you mean opps she goes it's a girl, she comes out...... my first comment was.....what's wrong with her head? My daughters head appeared to me to be misshapen.

Peace

I will say, though, that that father-to-be was a fucking fool for not pulling over in the first place. I find that utterly ridiculous. Because yeah, of course if he has done that and told the cops what was happening they would have been understanding and possibly would have escorted them. I don't know what the guy was thinking. He basically forces the cops to chase him while he tries calling 911 to tell them that he's going to the hospital? HUH? I guess he was one of those really panicky new dads who seriously can't think straight when his wife goes into labour, because that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of, lol.

However, the cops should have fucking clued in immediately. They had no reason to persist the way they did once the situation revealed itself, which would be the second either of them said "IN LABOUR". And it was really really fucking mean not to let the guy be there for his kid's birth.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Reason #379 not to have the death penalty. Bad cops.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    callen said:

Reason #379 not to have the death penalty. Bad cops.

I put that reason around #4 or so myself.
    Police officers/cops:
    The "just a few bad apples" claim is bullshit. It is bullshit because the other "apples" do nothing about it, except conspire together to cover up the misdeeds of the "bad apples". "Good apples" would call out such misconduct, would immediately fire and then prosecute the "bad apples", but that is not what typically happens at all. The blue shield appears to always be in full force.

Peace

Good book on the subject of militarized police:

Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces

The last days of colonialism taught America’s revolutionaries that soldiers in the streets bring conflict and tyranny. As a result, our country has generally worked to keep the military out of law enforcement. But according to investigative reporter Radley Balko, over the last several decades, America’s cops have increasingly come to resemble ground troops. The consequences have been dire: the home is no longer a place of sanctuary, the Fourth Amendment has been gutted, and police today have been conditioned to see the citizens they serve as an other—an enemy.

Today’s armored-up policemen are a far cry from the constables of early America. The unrest of the 1960s brought about the invention of the SWAT unit—which in turn led to the debut of military tactics in the ranks of police officers. Nixon’s War on Drugs, Reagan’s War on Poverty, Clinton’s COPS program, the post–9/11 security state under Bush and Obama: by degrees, each of these innovations expanded and empowered police forces, always at the expense of civil liberties. And these are just four among a slew of reckless programs.

In Rise of the Warrior Cop Balko shows how politicians’ ill-considered policies and relentless declarations of war against vague enemies like crime, drugs, and terror have blurred the distinction between cop and soldier. His fascinating, frightening narrative shows how over a generation, a creeping battlefield mentality has isolated and alienated American police officers and put them on a collision course with the values of a free society.

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Warrior-Cop-Militarization-Americas/dp/1610394577

Peace

• g under p said:

Police officers/cops:
    The "just a few bad apples" claim is bullshit. It is bullshit because the other "apples" do nothing about it, except conspire together to cover up the misdeeds of the "bad apples". "Good apples" would call out such misconduct, would immediately fire and then prosecute the "bad apples", but that is not what typically happens at all. The blue shield appears to always be in full force.

Peace

Hmmm.

I've seen this argument presented in various threads- notably in many of the 'evil Muslim' threads where people incredulously hold good Muslim people accountable for the actions of extremists.

It's as ridiculous an assertion here as it has been in the other threads where broad strokes paint everyone the same color.

Further, wouldn't the spin work in favour of bad cops? If logic of this sort is allowed to stand... then one could successfully argue that all cops are good cops based on the actions of good cops.

g under p said:

Police officers/cops:

Peace

Hmmm.

I've seen this argument presented in various threads- notably in many of the 'evil Muslim' threads where people incredulously hold good Muslim people accountable for the actions of extremists.

It's as ridiculous an assertion here as it has been in the other threads where broad strokes paint everyone the same color.

Further, wouldn't the spin work in favour of bad cops? If logic of this sort is allowed to stand... then one could successfully argue that all cops are good cops based on the actions of good cops.
    How does that make any sense?? Allowing someone to do good without intervention does not give you a share of the good, but allowing someone to do wrong without intervention ABSOLUTELY gives you a share of the wrongdoing.

The Muslim comparison is bull as well, the average Muslim does not come into contact with the extremists, and therefore does not have the opportunity to interfere or hold accountable. Nearly all police come into direct contact with malfeasance, and have a clear protocol for interference and holding those responsible accountable.
  • rgambs said:

g under p said:

Police officers/cops:

Peace

Hmmm.

How does that make any sense?? Allowing someone to do good without intervention does not give you a share of the good, but allowing someone to do wrong without intervention ABSOLUTELY gives you a share of the wrongdoing.

The Muslim comparison is bull as well, the average Muslim does not come into contact with the extremists, and therefore does not have the opportunity to interfere or hold accountable. Nearly all police come into direct contact with malfeasance, and have a clear protocol for interference and holding those responsible accountable.
    Of course you see it this way because you insist on seeing it this way.

There's been debate as to what has been 'wrong' on this forum... but you have seen every police intervention as 'wrong'. Remember when you said the cops who shot the knife wielding maniac should have scuttled into their cars and drove away instead of shooting him when he attacked them? That was a classic in the event you didn't know. Just saying.

You definitively know that all cops are bad cops because they all turn a blind eye to corrupt police work (this was the assertion I responded to that you let stand)? They're all complicit and therefore corrupt huh? Assholes. Every one of them.

Broad sweeping generalizations are poor- except, of course, if they suit RG's agenda. Got it!
    edited October 2015

rgambs said:

g under p said:

Police officers/cops:

Peace

Hmmm.

There's been debate as to what has been 'wrong' on this forum... but you have seen every police intervention as 'wrong'. Remember when you said the cops who shot the knife wielding maniac should have scuttled into their cars and drove away instead of shooting him when he attacked them? That was a classic in the event you didn't know. Just saying.

You definitively know that all cops are bad cops because they all turn a blind eye to corrupt police work (this was the assertion I responded to that you let stand)? They're all complicit and therefore corrupt huh? Assholes. Every one of them.

Broad sweeping generalizations are poor- except, of course, if they suit RG's agenda. Got it!
    Assholes, every one? No, not at all.
    Complicit, and therefore corrupt?
    Absolutely. Not necessarily thoroughly corrupt, but compromised nonetheless.

It's not a generalization, it's pretty much a fact. Do you dispute that every cop with a career of substantial length would almost inevitably witness abuse and malfeasance? I know of many police who would disagree with that as a possibility.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited October 2015
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

g under p said:

Police officers/cops:

Peace

Hmmm.

It's not a generalization, it's pretty much a fact. Do you dispute that every cop with a career of substantial length would almost inevitably witness abuse and malfeasance? I know of many police who would disagree with that as a possibility.
    I don't think you do know many police who would disagree with that as a possibility. So... I'm calling bullshit.

If you're talking abuse like professional courtesies (ignoring a speeding violation) then I would agree with you. If you're talking abuse like a cop getting rough with some scumbag who just kicked the shit out of his wife and children as they detain them... then I might be inclined to agree as well- but I don't characterize that as abuse (I do understand that if a cop farts en route to the station he should face a suspension for the perp being forced to smell it without an open window in your world).

If you're talking abuse like planting a weapon in the hands of a perp who has been shot... I would not agree with you. I would say that type of abuse is not as common or accepted as you think it is. And I challenge you to establish it as typical or widespread without using your 'cop buddies' saying so.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

g under p said:

Police officers/cops:

Peace

Hmmm.

I don't think you do know many police who would disagree with that as a possibility. So... I'm calling bullshit.

If you're talking abuse like professional courtesies (ignoring a speeding violation) then I would agree with you. If you're talking abuse like a cop getting rough with some scumbag who just kicked the shit out of his wife and children as they detain them... then I might be inclined to agree as well- but I don't characterize that as abuse (I do understand that if a cop farts en route to the station he should face a suspension for the perp being forced to smell it without an open window in your world).

If you're talking abuse like planting a weapon in the hands of a perp who has been shot... I would not agree with you. I would say that type of abuse is not as common or accepted as you think it is. And I challenge you to establish it as typical or widespread without using your 'cop buddies' saying so.
    Adrian Schoolcraft
    Michael A Wood Jr
    Joe Crystal
    Laura Shook

Whistleblowers have been calling folks out, and being punished for it, for a long time.

Even our resident AMT cop has made suggestions of abuse that is encouraged, overlooked, and commonplace.
This discussion has been closed.