Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

hedonist said:

But what's the point of transferring him? Same asshole cop, different locale.

The guy had a bad day.
    We all have bad days.
    Give him some anger management classes, maybe a week off no pay.

A week off with no pay? For being an asshole? I'd think that's a bit harsh. Sure, he acted like a complete dick, but I don't think it's suspension worthy.
    Fair enough

Anger management and let him get on with his life.
    I'm sure he got a reprimand of some kind. It's bad publicity.
  • Options
    Continue to excuse the police. Even when there is proof of abuse of power, many here will continue to always excuse the police...
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Continue to excuse the police. Even when there is proof of abuse of power, many here will continue to always excuse the police...

Who is excusing them? Last time I looked, being a dick wasn't against the law. Did he punch the guy? Did he shoot the guy? So because I don't think what the guy did wasnt suspension worthy, I'm excusing his actions?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Who is excusing them? Last time I looked, being a dick wasn't against the law. Did he punch the guy? Did he shoot the guy? So because I don't think what the guy did wasnt suspension worthy, I'm excusing his actions?
    Yes you are excusing his actions. Refusing to punish him is effectively excusing his actions.
    If this guy does commit some heinous police brutality will you not look back on this incident as a serious red flag?
    He should be fired. Harsh? Yes, very much so. He should be making big dollars and facing big consequences, especially when there is no "split-second decision" to be made and he's just being a good old fashioned asshole.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    It's peculiar that when someone like Eric Garner has a bad day it's "you should have respected authority, then you'd still be alive" but when this guy has a bad day it's "oh, he had a bad day".
    Like the officer in Canton, OH who pointed his gun at someone's head and told him he would blow his brains out for calmly (with hands firmly at 10 and 2) informing the officer he was a CCP and was carrying. Officer didn't lose his job because "he had a bad day" and after all, he didn't end up blowing his brains out so no harm no foul.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Yes you are excusing his actions. Refusing to punish him is effectively excusing his actions.
    If this guy does commit some heinous police brutality will you not look back on this incident as a serious red flag?
    He should be fired. Harsh? Yes, very much so. He should be making big dollars and facing big consequences, especially when there is no "split-second decision" to be made and he's just being a good old fashioned asshole.
    Does anyone know that the guy didn't get punished? A reprimand is a punishment. If that's what happened. He's been transferred from somewhere to somewhere. I would guess that it's to somewhere he didn't want to be. It's unbelievable that you people think that this guy should be fired for this. No, this is not a fireable offense. There's no offense being committed other than him being a dick. I don't understand what you mean by "he should be making big dollars and facing big consequences."
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The guy was demoted from detective work to basically a desk job. He was stripped of his badge and gun and placed on modified leave. Seems like a fair punishment to me.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/03/nypd-says-road-rage-cop-who-yelled-at-uber-driver-not-their-cop/

This is this guys 10th complaint against him in his 15 year career. The NYPD said they will not fire him because unprofessionalism is not a fireable offense.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options

rgambs said:

Does anyone know that the guy didn't get punished? A reprimand is a punishment. If that's what happened. He's been transferred from somewhere to somewhere. I would guess that it's to somewhere he didn't want to be. It's unbelievable that you people think that this guy should be fired for this. No, this is not a fireable offense. There's no offense being committed other than him being a dick. I don't understand what you mean by "he should be making big dollars and facing big consequences."
    A reprimand is not a punishment in my book. A paid suspension is not a punishment either.
    What I mean by that is we would get a MUCH better quality of police officer if we paid them at least double what they make now. If that were the case, we could hold them to a much higher standard than we currently do, and being a dick to this magnitude would easily be a fireable offense.
    It's not just "being a dick" anyways, it is showing a volatile character, a lack of self-control, and open xenophobia (racism by another word)...all of which are attributes that shouldn't exist in someone who has the authority to use fatal force under their own judgement.
  • Options

The guy was demoted from detective work to basically a desk job. He was stripped of his badge and gun and placed on modified leave. Seems like a fair punishment to me.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/03/nypd-says-road-rage-cop-who-yelled-at-uber-driver-not-their-cop/

This is this guys 10th complaint against him in his 15 year career. The NYPD said they will not fire him because unprofessionalism is not a fireable offense.

Unprofessionalism is not a fireable offense for someone who is given explicit authority to use bodily force at their own discretion?
    That is fucking crazy.
  • Options
    A goddamned car salesman can be fired for uunprofessionalism but not a cop.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

Till they get jacked.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambs said:

A goddamned car salesman can be fired for uunprofessionalism but not a cop.

I'd rather a cop be a dick to me than to have a car salesman sell me a lemon.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Unprofessionalism is not a fireable offense for someone who is given explicit authority to use bodily force at their own discretion?
    That is fucking crazy.
    If every cop who displayed an act of unprofessionalism got fired, there would be no police force. There was no physical harm. Nothing will please you guys. If the guy was fired, you'd want him arrested.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

A reprimand is not a punishment in my book. A paid suspension is not a punishment either.
    What I mean by that is we would get a MUCH better quality of police officer if we paid them at least double what they make now. If that were the case, we could hold them to a much higher standard than we currently do, and being a dick to this magnitude would easily be a fireable offense.
    It's not just "being a dick" anyways, it is showing a volatile character, a lack of self-control, and open xenophobia (racism by another word)...all of which are attributes that shouldn't exist in someone who has the authority to use fatal force under their own judgement.
    Reprimands show up on year end evaluations and will certainly effect raises. The guy was demoted. I would say the punishment fit the crime.
  • Options

rgambs said:

That is fucking crazy.
    If every cop who displayed an act of unprofessionalism got fired, there would be no police force. There was no physical harm. Nothing will please you guys. If the guy was fired, you'd want him arrested.
    Excellent incrimination of one's self. Classic!
  • Options

rgambs said:

That is fucking crazy.
    Not at all.

You've never been unprofessional? I'm sure at some point everyone has done or said something that could be considered unprofessional.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,427

rgambs said:

That is fucking crazy.
    No just fired would do in my book ...I say fire the prick
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited April 2015

rgambs said:

That is fucking crazy.
    Not at all.

You've never been unprofessional? I'm sure at some point everyone has done or said something that could be considered unprofessional.
    Absolutely, it is, and says much about police and professionalism, and what we expect of police. If just about the rest of us can get fired for being unprofessional, the same should go for cops. After all, they are the public face of protection and security in this country, if we allow our greatest of protectors to get away constantly with being unprofessional, it says a lot about how we feel about ourselves as citizens. Not much.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,774
    Part of me thinks he shouldn't be fired. But another part of me thinks that if I talked to someone like that at my job, I would absolutely get fired. I couldn't just say I "had a bad day" and that would make everything OK. So why should it be different for a police officer?
  • Options

Part of me thinks he shouldn't be fired. But another part of me thinks that if I talked to someone like that at my job, I would absolutely get fired. I couldn't just say I "had a bad day" and that would make everything OK. So why should it be different for a police officer?

Firing would be harsh, I know that. If this was his first offense, hey everybody deserves a second chance, but how many people get 10 complaints about them and still have their job out in the real world?
    Why I get pissed is these guys, with authority to kill, should be held to a higher standard than most and they just don't. People like last12exit defend them no matter what..."he just had a bad day" "no physical harm"
    What bullshit.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,881

So you would consider firing this officer over this incident? I find that interesting. Over verbally abusing an Uber driver, you would throw this mans entire 10-15 year career down the drain? Would you also refuse his pension? Having no knowledge of this mans accomplishments, and/or complaints/incidents, over his career, you would seriously consider ending this guys career, over THIS incident?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    :st
    rgambs said:

Firing would be harsh, I know that. If this was his first offense, hey everybody deserves a second chance, but how many people get 10 complaints about them and still have their job out in the real world?
    Why I get pissed is these guys, with authority to kill, should be held to a higher standard than most and they just don't. People like last12exit defend them no matter what..."he just had a bad day" "no physical harm"
    What bullshit.
    Show me where I defended him. Point out the post where I said be shouldn't be punished. Any one would be nice.
  • Options
    Your whole tone is defensive. You said a suspension was too harsh!
    Just because you said he was being a dick doesn't mean you aren't defending him when you recommend a reprimand as punishment.
  • Options

So you would consider firing this officer over this incident? I find that interesting. Over verbally abusing an Uber driver, you would throw this mans entire 10-15 year career down the drain? Would you also refuse his pension? Having no knowledge of this mans accomplishments, and/or complaints/incidents, over his career, you would seriously consider ending this guys career, over THIS incident?
    Firing does seem harsh. But like I said, if I did this at my job and talked to a client or co-worker like that, I would absolutely get fired. So why should it be different for this guy? I really don't know what the right answer is here...
  • Options

No let's just let him keep abusing people in a racist manner. Who cares if he has more than 10 complaints, let's keep him out there so he can make sure people like this driver have a negative view of police,in general. Sounds like a win for everyone.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,881

Firing does seem harsh. But like I said, if I did this at my job and talked to a client or co-worker like that, I would absolutely get fired. So why should it be different for this guy? I really don't know what the right answer is here...
    I just couldn't justify throwing this guys entire career down the drain, over this type of incident.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

I just couldn't justify throwing this guys entire career down the drain, over this type of incident.
    Yeah, that is rough. But the point remains that if I did something like this, my entire career is thrown down the drain. So why should it be different for a cop? I'm generally pro-police, but shit like this just infuriates me.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Your whole tone is defensive. You said a suspension was too harsh!
    Just because you said he was being a dick doesn't mean you aren't defending him when you recommend a reprimand as punishment.

My tone? Ok.

The guy got demoted. Why is that enough?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,427
    It's funny how some here say " you would be ok with throwing this cops 10yr career down the drain " Last time I checked it was him who is an asshole if anybody is throwing their 10 yr career down the drain it's him not any one else but him .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

It's funny how some here say " you would be ok with throwing this cops 10yr career down the drain " Last time I checked it was him who is an asshole if anybody is throwing their 10 yr career down the drain it's him not any one else but him .......

Great point Jose… But cops are above the law, dontcha know… They don't get fired for the same things that would get you or me fired...
This discussion has been closed.