Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    This will be unpopular with people but I'll defend the cop here.

Scooters have inundated the streets here in NY.  They don't belong on the freeways and highways like this guy.  He wasn't wearing a helmet.  He was in the fast lane/passing lane on a scooter that does 40 tops.  They do street "takeovers" where dozens of people on scooters, quads, etc just roll down the streets and blow through lights.

Something should be done but this wasn't the way to go about it.  I wonder what happened 20 seconds before this too to gice the story more context.

FUCK THAT.  He could have seriously injured that guy or worse.
    There is no circumstance where that is a necessary tactic, especially around other traffic.
    I dont give a shit about the previous 20 or 30 seconds. there is no defense to it. period.
    Yeah, this isn't the kind of decision making I want to see from police officers. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    Im admittedly bias because I fucking hate these scooters. They’re a cancer in NYC. No registration, no licenses, no insurance.  I’ve seen two teenagers on them while smoking joints numerous times.  They go through red lights , they don’t obey traffic laws. 90% of the time they aren’t pulled over so it just continues to get worse and worse. It’s insane. When I was a teen I got pulled over FOR RIDING DOWN A ONE WAY STREET THE WRONG WAY ON A BICYCLE. Sick of it. Right or wrong, I don’t care because I have a deep hatred for the way most of these scooters and e-bikes are abusing traffic laws here with little to no consequence. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    nicknyr15 said:
    Im admittedly bias because I fucking hate these scooters. They’re a cancer in NYC. No registration, no licenses, no insurance.  I’ve seen two teenagers on them while smoking joints numerous times.  They go through red lights , they don’t obey traffic laws. 90% of the time they aren’t pulled over so it just continues to get worse and worse. It’s insane. When I was a teen I got pulled over FOR RIDING DOWN A ONE WAY STREET THE WRONG WAY ON A BICYCLE. Sick of it. Right or wrong, I don’t care because I have a deep hatred for the way most of these scooters and e-bikes are abusing traffic laws here with little to no consequence. 

so, law making changes this. in the registration ownership end of things.

is it fair to say these scooters are really an amplfied version of bicycling?  dont bike riders do much of the same?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

is it fair to say these scooters are really an amplfied version of bicycling?  dont bike riders do much of the same?
    No. They go faster and do more damage. It’s bullshit. There are laws they’re just not enforced here for some reason. 
  • Options
    And this is just the chaos they wreak on the roads. The amount of fires here that start with these batteries is a whole other tremendous problem  
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

No. They go faster and do more damage. It’s bullshit. There are laws they’re just not enforced here for some reason. 

right, amplified
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

We have laws in place right now to combat this and NOTHING happens.  Cops aren't allowed to do anything anymore but I wish they would.  It really is a safety issue.

TY @nicknyr15 for seeing the crap they pull.

No bikes aren't even doing the same thing. Not even close.   Who rides bikes anymore, lol!?!
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,167
    just throw grass clibbins on the road and problem solved, hoss!!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

We have laws in place right now to combat this and NOTHING happens.  Cops aren't allowed to do anything anymore but I wish they would.  It really is a safety issue.

No bikes aren't even doing the same thing. Not even close.   Who rides bikes anymore, lol!?!
    I wish I didn’t have to see it. It’s infuriating. I get how I may sound to people who don’t have to deal with this. But trust me, it’s a huge safety issue and a big problem on our streets. I’ve literally never seen one of these scooters wait at a red light. Never. Kids, adults , delivery driver, Mexican, Asian, American. Doesn’t matter who. Bicyclists hate them too because they use the bike lane when it’s convenient to them are can go way faster , way quicker than a bike. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I see the crap they pull in Boston, it's no different than what you're describing in NYC. 

I agree, something needs to be done about it, but giving police carte blanche to run them off the road isn't it. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I wish I didn’t have to see it. It’s infuriating. I get how I may sound to people who don’t have to deal with this. But trust me, it’s a huge safety issue and a big problem on our streets. I’ve literally never seen one of these scooters wait at a red light. Never. Kids, adults , delivery driver, Mexican, Asian, American. Doesn’t matter who. Bicyclists hate them too because they use the bike lane when it’s convenient to them are can go way faster , way quicker than a bike. 
    When they chug down the sidewalk is my personal favorite then whip out into traffic and almost cause a wreck.
  • Options
    Had to google this, this is funny and a pet peeve of mine as being a former landscaper.  We NEVER blew "clibbins" into the road.  We always picked them up.

It drives me nuts that they do this.  It blows back onto your property after five cars pass by...
  • Options
    Had to google this, this is funny and a pet peeve of mine as being a former landscaper.  We NEVER blew "clibbins" into the road.  We always picked them up.

It drives me nuts that they do this.  It blows back onto your property after five cars pass by...
    oh yeah the clibbins memes are an entire internet subculture. also hadtalayerdown!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I see the crap they pull in Boston, it's no different than what you're describing in NYC. 

I agree, something needs to be done about it, but giving police carte blanche to run them off the road isn't it. 
    I understand but I’d be lying if I said I felt anything watching that video. I have a deep bias though. But yes , your second paragraph is the obvious logical thought. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I understand but I’d be lying if I said I felt anything watching that video. I have a deep bias though. But yes , your second paragraph is the obvious logical thought. 
    FWIW I hate them too. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

FWIW I hate them too. 
    I understand. It’s impossible
    not too. 
  • Options
    i love how these people are so vocal about watching out for bikers and then the bikers are the ones driving super reckless. i am all for sharing the road, but extend to me the same courtesy as i extend to you and your bike.

• Options
    i love how these people are so vocal about watching out for bikers and then the bikers are the ones driving super reckless. i am all for sharing the road, but extend to me the same courtesy as i extend to you and your bike.
    Great point. And they don’t even extend the courtesy to bicycles or pedestrians by weaving in and out of bike lanes, going through red lights and zipping on and off sidewalks. It’s disgusting. I don’t know if you can tell that I hate them.
  • Options
    Yup

I've given up on expecting scooter drivers to follow the law, but bicyclists ignoring rules of the road infuriate me as well. Dumb kids are dumb kids*, but experienced bicyclists should know better. 

*Not that every asshole acting reckless on a scooter is a kid, but the majority of what I see around me is mostly 20 somethings or younger. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Great point. And they don’t even extend the courtesy to bicycles or pedestrians by weaving in and out of bike lanes, going through red lights and zipping on and off sidewalks. It’s disgusting. I don’t know if you can tell that I hate them.
    yeah i am not a big fan either, ha

• Options
    Yup

I've given up on expecting scooter drivers to follow the law, but bicyclists ignoring rules of the road infuriate me as well. Dumb kids are dumb kids*, but experienced bicyclists should know better. 

*Not that every asshole acting reckless on a scooter is a kid, but the majority of what I see around me is mostly 20 somethings or younger. 
    oh yeah i get these bicyclists that look like they are training for the tour de france with their spandex uniforms around here all the time. riding on major roads and they come to a 4 way stop sign and just ride through them. they are supposed to stop but they don't. its enough to have to watch for cars running the stop signs or going when its not their turn, then you have to watch out for lance fuckin armstrong not stopping at all. its infuriating because its not safe for anybody.

i had a bicyclist almost hit my dog on a park train one time. it was a paved trail around a lake and the cyclists are supposed to pass on the left an announce their presence like "on your left" or whichever side they are passing on. dude did not announce himself and almost took me and my dog out. about gave my dog ptsd because he got anxious on that trail after that day.

• Options
    Yup

I live in a beach town and biking is very prominent.  Light turns green and I start to drive and a 10-12 yo girl on her bike comes right out in front of me. I point up to the light and she looks at me like I'm the asshole, lol.  

She will grow up living a life of privelidge...

I ride my road bike and hide my spandex.  I just can't do it.  I do observe the rules of the road.  If I don't I'll be dead.
  • Options
    Yup

I live in a beach town and biking is very prominent.  Light turns green and I start to drive and a 10-12 yo girl on her bike comes right out in front of me. I point up to the light and she looks at me like I'm the asshole, lol.  

She will grow up living a life of privelidge...

I ride my road bike and hide my spandex.  I just can't do it.  I do observe the rules of the road.  If I don't I'll be dead.
    WATCH OUT FOR GHE CLIBBINS HOSS GOBBLESS11!!

• Options

• Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    this could go equally as well in the gun violence thread.

add "visiting your g/f while black" to the long list of capital offenses in the south.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    DOJ report highlights all sorts of Minneapolis Police Department abuses.  Minneapolis PD is broken and I highly doubt it is unique.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/16/1182694978/doj-report-finds-systemic-patterns-of-abuse-by-the-minneapolis-police-department
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    did biden have consent decrees reinstated?

• Options

This discussion has been closed.