Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Police abuse

1182183184185186188»

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 10,116
    OnWis97 said:
    It’s about the power and the adrenaline rush.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/police-officer-sued-for-flipping-pregnant-womans-car-when-she-didnt-stop-fast-enough/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“She should have complied!”  Well, she did. She did exactly what the state textbook said she should do. She knew the law, and the cop didn’t.

WOW !

Just curious, but what was she being pulled over for?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MNPosts: 3,733
    cutz said:
    OnWis97 said:

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/police-officer-sued-for-flipping-pregnant-womans-car-when-she-didnt-stop-fast-enough/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“She should have complied!”  Well, she did. She did exactly what the state textbook said she should do. She knew the law, and the cop didn’t.
    h
    WOW !

I believe it was speeding.  Somebody who, by these accounts, was not a danger or a fugitive was run down and nearly killed for her $250 ticket.

Is this cop a jackass? Yeah. Are all cops like this? No. But I don't think the problem is about the individuals but about the culture. I feel like the police culture has sort evolved into flexing their power and authority and to take it personally if someone doesn't follow their instructions to the T, regardless if what they're doing is a legit threat.  OK, so I'm not privy to what goes on in these stationhouses, but I just don't get the sense that protecting and serving is the overriding theme. It seems like it's more about authority. It feels like it's worse than it was decades ago (though maybe it's just better-covered now that we all have cameras. See King, Rodney). Maybe there's just more pushback on the pedestalization.  

Can the nationwide culture change?  Change to protect/serve? Change to diminish the self-importance that this guy must have felt? Change so not using your gun for an entire career is a good thing?  Because we can talk about bad cops, but I really think there's too much bad for it just to be the bad apples; it's the culture. They've started to believe the "hero" hype that was heaped upon them for so long.
    1995 Milwaukee
    1998 Alpine, Alpine
    2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston
    2004 Boston, Boston
    2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)
    2011 Alpine, Alpine
    2013 Wrigley
    2014 St. Paul
    2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley
    2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 354
    OnWis97 said:
    cutz said:
    OnWis97 said:

WOW !

I believe it was speeding.  Somebody who, by these accounts, was not a danger or a fugitive was run down and nearly killed for her $250 ticket.

Is this cop a jackass? Yeah. Are all cops like this? No. But I don't think the problem is about the individuals but about the culture. I feel like the police culture has sort evolved into flexing their power and authority and to take it personally if someone doesn't follow their instructions to the T, regardless if what they're doing is a legit threat.  OK, so I'm not privy to what goes on in these stationhouses, but I just don't get the sense that protecting and serving is the overriding theme. It seems like it's more about authority. It feels like it's worse than it was decades ago (though maybe it's just better-covered now that we all have cameras. See King, Rodney). Maybe there's just more pushback on the pedestalization.  

Can the nationwide culture change?  Change to protect/serve? Change to diminish the self-importance that this guy must have felt? Change so not using your gun for an entire career is a good thing?  Because we can talk about bad cops, but I really think there's too much bad for it just to be the bad apples; it's the culture. They've started to believe the "hero" hype that was heaped upon them for so long.
    Very well said. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 6,104
    mace1229 said:
    The problem with the law in this case is it’s subjective. What’s safe for the cop may not seem safe for the driver. I won’t be surprised to see laws like this changed to be more explicit and define unsafe conditions, like a shoulder less than x feet wide, etc.
    As I said above, still incredibly stupid thing for the cop to do.
    i wouldn't call doing a PIT move on a speeding vehicle that wasn't fleeing subjective. that is never necessary inlaw/code that situation. 
    I wasn’t referring to the PIT being subjective, but the law/code whatever it is that states to put on flashers and slow down if there is no safe area to pull over. What is safe? That’s subjective.
    Im not defending the cop, I think it’s totally ridiculous what he did. I just think cities are going to be more clear and explicit on what is and isn’t safe. Even if he didn’t do the PIT and just followed her for 5 miles before she pulled over would it be fair for her to be arrested for “fleeing” because she didn’t feel safe to pull over for 5 miles. No, so the law needs to be clear on that.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon HeadstoniaPosts: 26,494
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    The problem with the law in this case is it’s subjective. What’s safe for the cop may not seem safe for the driver. I won’t be surprised to see laws like this changed to be more explicit and define unsafe conditions, like a shoulder less than x feet wide, etc.
    As I said above, still incredibly stupid thing for the cop to do.
    i wouldn't call doing a PIT move on a speeding vehicle that wasn't fleeing subjective. that is never necessary inlaw/code that situation. 
    I wasn’t referring to the PIT being subjective, but the law/code whatever it is that states to put on flashers and slow down if there is no safe area to pull over. What is safe? That’s subjective.
    Im not defending the cop, I think it’s totally ridiculous what he did. I just think cities are going to be more clear and explicit on what is and isn’t safe. Even if he didn’t do the PIT and just followed her for 5 miles before she pulled over would it be fair for her to be arrested for “fleeing” because she didn’t feel safe to pull over for 5 miles. No, so the law needs to be clear on that.
    gotcha, yes, I'm sure it is a grey area. it most likely states something like "pull over when it is safe to do so" but you're right in that is subjective. Obviously this cop gives no fucks about safety if he overturned a person's car for no reason. 
    (Track 10 of The Headstones' Nickels For Your Nightmares)

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 27,141
    They'll all be fired if it was just for vaping but somehow I think there is more to the story.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 14,748
    They'll all be fired if it was just for vaping but somehow I think there is more to the story.
    Well I think the reason for the taser was that he started lowering his left hand towards his pocket. But there's further video that shows, when the cops are trying to restrain him, a cop kneeing him. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Well I think the reason for the taser was that he started lowering his left hand towards his pocket. But there's further video that shows, when the cops are trying to restrain him, a cop kneeing him. 

If that cop doesn't have a great reason for kneeing that guy then he will be losing his job too.

I can't fathom why he would need to do that.  It made the crowd react, which they should do, but then people get carried away in handcuffs.

I hope more comes out about this.  Optics aren't good.
    I doubt he has a good reason for kneeing him. Even if he was resisting, there's enough cops on top of him to restrain him without having to come to blows. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    I doubt he has a good reason for kneeing him. Even if he was resisting, there's enough cops on top of him to restrain him without having to come to blows. 
    Yeah it boggles my mind.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 21,331
    as usual citizen video comes part way in an altercation. provides actual text narrative, which may or may not be accurate. some actions seen are absolutlely egregious.

I want to see first contact and everything that followed.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon HeadstoniaPosts: 26,494
    "take off your backpack!!"
    *reaches for backpack*
    *gets tazed for reaching for backpack*
    (Track 10 of The Headstones' Nickels For Your Nightmares)

"take off your backpack!!"
    *reaches for backpack*
    *gets tazed for reaching for backpack*
    I can't really hear them say "take off your backpack," but his arm motion definitely seems like that's what he was trying to do. 

I'd like to see what happened before that. If he was just vaping, he doesn't need to be surrounded by four officers with tasers drawn. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 21,331

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14