Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I'll add to that, however, that there should be a zero tolerance policy at the school for violent imagery, especially against another student. heavy handed suspension or even expulsion. But handcuffed and dragged off to jail? yeah, no. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    police get called to a school in Hawaii and handcuff and arrest (but not charge) a 10 year old girl for a drawing she participated in against a bully. her mother was not allowed to see her until she was released from custody. 

this shit is getting unreal. I get it; teaching is hard. but calling the cops for a drawing? would a white girl have been arrested for the same thing? fuck no. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/20/us/hawaii-black-girl-arrested-drawing-aclu/index.html
    I do wonder if she threatened death in the picture?  If so that doesn't go well in schools nowadays.

Should a 10yo be handcuffed for it?  No.

Was she acting hysterical so they cuffed her for everyones safety?  No idea.

Plenty of info missing on this but you are right, policy should change on this.
    she claimed she didn't even want to share it with the person it was about; another kid snatched it out of her hand and delivered it. the police claim she "wasn't taking it seriously" and "could use a few hours in lock up". this is fucking unacceptable. there was no reports of her needing to be subdued. 

if this happened to my kid I'd sue the pants off the school and the police department. that shit is traumatizing. 
    My kid, same thing, I'm suing.

Again, there are either a lot of facts missing or the cops need to be fired, and the department policies changed and retrain their personnel.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    FiveBelow said:
    CM189191 said:

Looks like pictures of various tactical units to me. Have you ever been pulled over by or sent a SWAT team when requesting the police? Some tasks require different equipment, this is no different than literally every other profession. 
    Right! Like when you need an airstrike with improvised explosive device
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,187
    CM189191 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    CM189191 said:

Looks like pictures of various tactical units to me. Have you ever been pulled over by or sent a SWAT team when requesting the police? Some tasks require different equipment, this is no different than literally every other profession. 
    Right! Like when you need an airstrike with improvised explosive device
    Got any other one-offs from last century, perhaps there is a social media meme you could share? I like pictures. I don’t think anyone is happy about the potential need for a SWAT team but simply asking everyone to get along and stop harming others hasn’t been very effective. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    nicknyr15 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    CM189191 said:

Another stupid thing on Twitter
    the point is, in most cases, equipment like this isn't needed, or if it is, it's a failure of our society to require them. we should be spending more on social services than "tactical equipment" ie: tanks. 
    Next guy w a bomb we can argue that the social services in that area failed him...

This started gaining momentum after 9'11 and gathered more steam w Active Shooter fears.

For years cops carried revolvers and were outgunned by people who were using weapons against them.  I see nothing wrong w them having this equipment.  If the Military was ready in a whim then you could disband all of this.
    I think it started even before. That Hollywood bank shooting in the late 90s, the cops had to go into a gun store and borrow weapons. They didn’t want to go up against automatic assault rifles with their 9mm. Probably took another step after 9/11 too.
    I don’t know why anyone would be against this equipment. As you pointed out, it’s not the every day cop driving armored vehicles. We have SWAT for a reason, and they aren’t out there to give  parking tickets.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    CM189191 said:

the point is, in most cases, equipment like this isn't needed, or if it is, it's a failure of our society to require them. we should be spending more on social services than "tactical equipment" ie: tanks. 
    Next guy w a bomb we can argue that the social services in that area failed him...

This started gaining momentum after 9'11 and gathered more steam w Active Shooter fears.

For years cops carried revolvers and were outgunned by people who were using weapons against them.  I see nothing wrong w them having this equipment.  If the Military was ready in a whim then you could disband all of this.
    I think it started even before. That Hollywood bank shooting in the late 90s, the cops had to go into a gun store and borrow weapons. They didn’t want to go up against automatic assault rifles with their 9mm. Probably took another step after 9/11 too.
    I don’t know why anyone would be against this equipment. As you pointed out, it’s not the every day cop driving armored vehicles. We have SWAT for a reason, and they aren’t out there to give  parking tickets.
    No they are for serving no knock warrants and killing innocent women.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    CM189191 said:

That wasn’t SWAT.  It was a poorly planned and execution of a warrant based on bad information using the police dept and their regular duty weapons. Don’t see the connection to this topic though.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    CM189191 said:

That wasn’t SWAT.  It was a poorly planned and execution of a warrant based on bad information using the police dept and their regular duty weapons. Don’t see the connection to this topic though.
    Exactly.

I'll be the first person to say when the cops are wrong and they were but that wasn't SWAT.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    edited October 2021
    The 80's crack explosion and the gang wars that were spawned by it was a turning point as well. Once the gangs started buying and using more powerful and automatic weapons, the police increased their firepower and tactics to deal with it. I lived in Northern California at the time and the gang violence and shootings increased a lot during that time.   
  • Options
    The 80's crack explosion and the gang wars that were spawned by it was a turning point as well. Once the gangs started buying and using more powerful and automatic weapons, the police increased their firepower and tactics to deal with it. I lived in Northern California at the time and the gang violence and shootings increased a lot during that time.   
    I didn't think that happened until the 90's?  I remember my Uncle carrying a revolver until he retired in 90.  He was LAPD.
  • Options
    I didn't think that happened until the 90's?  I remember my Uncle carrying a revolver until he retired in 90.  He was LAPD.
    I graduated HS in 1986 and it was already a problem then. Oakland and San Francisco had been bad for a few years, and parts of San Jose where I lived, was getting that way.
  • Options
    I graduated HS in 1986 and it was already a problem then. Oakland and San Francisco had been bad for a few years, and parts of San Jose where I lived, was getting that way.
    Not crack.  I remember that as early as 84.  The use of semiauto handguns w the cops.

I can vividly remember seeing the vilas on the ground as a kid in Far Rocakway.
  • Options
    Not crack.  I remember that as early as 84.  The use of semiauto handguns w the cops.

I can vividly remember seeing the vilas on the ground as a kid in Far Rocakway.
    I had a SJPD officer who lived on my block during the time I was in HS. He carried a semi automatic (9mm I think) as his service weapon. He would show us his firearm on occasion when we bugged him to see it. The 80's were a little different than now.  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    CM189191 said:

My bad I assumed that no knock warrants were served by swat or other special units.  If these situations can go so wrong with standard police units and practices imagine how sideways they can get with advanced weapons and tactics.  Anyways here are three articles on the dangers of SWAT and no knock warrants.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/a-no-knock-raid-in-houston-led-to-deaths-and-police-injuries-should-police-rethink-the-practice/

https://reason.com/2021/07/30/qualified-immunity-police-drug-raid-texas-lucil-basco/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/policing/2021/02/02/police-killing-shows-dangers-swat-no-knock-raids-column/4296067001/
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    CM189191 said:

My bad I assumed that no knock warrants were served by swat or other special units.  If these situations can go so wrong with standard police units and practices imagine how sideways they can get with advanced weapons and tactics.  Anyways here are three articles on the dangers of SWAT and no knock warrants.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/a-no-knock-raid-in-houston-led-to-deaths-and-police-injuries-should-police-rethink-the-practice/

https://reason.com/2021/07/30/qualified-immunity-police-drug-raid-texas-lucil-basco/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/policing/2021/02/02/police-killing-shows-dangers-swat-no-knock-raids-column/4296067001/
    I would think the opposite. If these things can go so wrong with the standard police, wouldn't a specifically trained unit do a much better job, not worse?
  • Options
    I think it was probably right around 1990 when that happened, and was optional for a while. My dad was LA county sheriff and he only ever carried his revolver. He got his 9mm beretta shortly after being promoted and worked Men’s central jail, but never carried it there. He got promoted around 1989 I think.
    it was years before they carried assault rifles, that’s just upgrading from a revolver to a pistol. Cops still didn’t carry those kinds of weapons in the Hollywood bank shootout in 1997. According to Wikipedia, some cops were even still carrying a revolver. I remember at the time they borrowed weapons from a local gun store. I think this shootout is what really for them starting to carry a bigger arsenal.
  • Options
    Manitoba RCMP Officer was attempting to serve legal documents to a man in Thompson (northern Manitoba town, largely Aboriginal population) when the man started to walk towards him, the officer drew his gun, and then shot him at point blank range. Officer claims the man had a knife, but that's not clear in the video below:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rcmp-thompson-shooting-statement-1.6229669
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    C'mon Minneapolis.  Vote no cops.  Burn that city to the ground. Legalize crime. Stupid left get stupid results. 
  • Options
    C'mon Minneapolis.  Vote no cops.  Burn that city to the ground. Legalize crime. Stupid left get stupid results. 
    still don't understand what "defund the police" actually means, eh? not surprised. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    still don't understand what "defund the police" actually means, eh? not surprised. 
    No it's different there.  They actually want a "public safety" unit in place and no cops.  That measure is getting shut down.  

It's a liberal city and even they don't want to eradicate the police all together.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    No it's different there.  They actually want a "public safety" unit in place and no cops.  That measure is getting shut down.  

It's a liberal city and even they don't want to eradicate the police all together.
    I can’t imagine anyone voting yes on that. Except maybe criminals. Or privileged upper class white people who are behind a gated community with their own security. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    nicknyr15 said:

I can’t imagine anyone voting yes on that. Except maybe criminals. Or privileged upper class white people who are behind a gated community with their own security. 

These people generally are the last ones to care about police misconduct and the first to be totally fine with keeping minorities in check through force.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    nicknyr15 said:

These people generally are the last ones to care about police misconduct and the first to be totally fine with keeping minorities in check through force.
    I’m just going by what I saw at the protests last year around me. 
  • Options

What stupid results might look like:

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

What is this chart and what is it based off of?
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

This really is defunding the police here though.  In other areas they want to allocate the money towards different social services like housing, schools and things.

Everyone wants nice things but if you are expecting the govt to just give it to you do other things have to give?
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

clickable for her pleasure
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Ahhh, TY!
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

This article is 6 years old...
This discussion has been closed.