Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Guy kicking the girl in the head when she was down?  Anyone?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Guy kicking the girl in the head when she was down?  Anyone?
    I saw that the second time I watched it. fucking chaos. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/columbus-police-fatally-shoot-person-222318319.html Well today they killed a 15 year old black girl who reportedly called them for help.  And people wonder why Defund the Police is a thing.  What a sad country.  Floyd’s murderer is held accountable, but the cop killings of black people continue
    Anybody watch this video?

Girl tries knifing another girl, girl gets kicked while down by a guy.

The guy is lucky he wasn't shot.

I don't know about this one...

No idea what this is from but I'm sure it supports whatever you are trying to get across...

Police have the ability to not murder people 
    This moron should have been shot but I don't see any cops even near him?
    Kyle Rittenhouse. They are referring to when he tried to surrender and walked by several police cars.
    I dont think its the same, when police arrived he looked like the victim because a mob had chased him. They were unaware than he just shot 3 or 4 people.
    Compared to this case, it sounds like the girl had a knife and was actively trying to stab someone. I'm sure if it was anyone's daughter she was trying to stab, they'd be okay with the shooting. But as I said earlier, its still earlier and we should have all learned by now that there is often a lot of misinformation when these stories first break. So hard to form a strong opinion at this point. 
    this was taken AFTER he murdered those two people? I thought it was before. 
    Maybe. I have no idea when it was taken based on a still picture. But I'm pretty sure that was the point CM was trying to make when posting it. At least that was what came to my mind. 
    I remember the incident now.

Guy got cornered, people attacked him, he shot them, they chased him.  He surrendered to the cops.

Guy was looking for trouble, got it and then got to defend himself.

Truth be told, if You're holding that rifle around your neck I am not engaging...

Edit: The cops did not see him shoot the people.
    "Guy" is pretty generous... he was a minor who crossed state lines w/ an (obviously) illegally obtained gun. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/columbus-police-fatally-shoot-person-222318319.html Well today they killed a 15 year old black girl who reportedly called them for help.  And people wonder why Defund the Police is a thing.  What a sad country.  Floyd’s murderer is held accountable, but the cop killings of black people continue

No idea what this is from but I'm sure it supports whatever you are trying to get across...

Kyle Rittenhouse. They are referring to when he tried to surrender and walked by several police cars.
    I dont think its the same, when police arrived he looked like the victim because a mob had chased him. They were unaware than he just shot 3 or 4 people.
    Compared to this case, it sounds like the girl had a knife and was actively trying to stab someone. I'm sure if it was anyone's daughter she was trying to stab, they'd be okay with the shooting. But as I said earlier, its still earlier and we should have all learned by now that there is often a lot of misinformation when these stories first break. So hard to form a strong opinion at this point. 
    Maybe. I have no idea when it was taken based on a still picture. But I'm pretty sure that was the point CM was trying to make when posting it. At least that was what came to my mind. 

Guy got cornered, people attacked him, he shot them, they chased him.  He surrendered to the cops.

Truth be told, if You're holding that rifle around your neck I am not engaging...

"Guy" is pretty generous... he was a minor who crossed state lines w/ an (obviously) illegally obtained gun. 
    "young guy" then?  The kid was an idiot looking for trouble
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

"young guy" then?  The kid was an idiot looking for trouble
    I think all parties involved were looking for trouble that night. Unfortunately they found it. He shouldn't have been there to begin with. Why they would chase down and corner and attack a guy with an assault rifle is also beyond me.
  • Options

He was a minor, who illegally obtained a gun and carried it across state lines to cosplay as what? A murderous cop? And he wasn't just looking for trouble, he was answering a call. 

Let's stop glossing over his criminality and lets also not pretend that there wasn't a ton of other likeminded red neck psychos there chomping at the bit to murder some BLM protesters.

Kyle Rittenhouse accomplished what he set out to, and to this day he's celebrated as a hero on the right - THAT is as big a problem as any in this country right now. 
  • Options

He was a minor, who illegally obtained a gun and carried it across state lines to cosplay as what? A murderous cop? And he wasn't just looking for trouble, he was answering a call. 

Let's stop glossing over his criminality and lets also not pretend that there wasn't a ton of other likeminded red neck psychos there chomping at the bit to murder some BLM protesters.

Kyle Rittenhouse accomplished what he set out to, and to this day he's celebrated as a hero on the right - THAT is as big a problem as any in this country right now. 
    100%
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822

Pre-emptive self defense. Whatever claims he has to self-defense, I find the idea of people inserting themselves in situations like this and looking for an excuse to be very concerning. I hope it's not a going to be a trend (probably not; it's high risk).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

According to some reports the girl called the police because four other girls were coming after her and she grabbed a knife to defend herself against four others.  Also she is a kid.
    Kids can't kill, hurt or maim?

A different girl gets kicked, not with the knife. I can only go by what I see.  Hindsight is out the window.

Should the girl have been shot?  She was trying to knife someone else.  Does the cop let her do that and then be called out for NOT doing something?

It's a lose lose here.

What would you have the cop do?
    Assess the situation like the other three in scene that didn’t come out guns blazing...
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711

Why? We do it all the time. Or is it only ok if the cops would have killed him?
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Why? We do it all the time. Or is it only ok if the cops would have killed him?
    We do? 

I only speak for myself, and I've been pretty quiet about the Daunte Wright shooting, and I also haven't said jack about this girl that was shot in OH yesterday because I see a lot of gray areas there, in what little I've read / know about the situations. 

I speak for me, and you speak for you. Let's start there. 

Unless you're fine with all the disingenuous posturing and bad faith arguments. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,576
    OnWis97 said:

Pre-emptive self defense. Whatever claims he has to self-defense, I find the idea of people inserting themselves in situations like this and looking for an excuse to be very concerning. I hope it's not a going to be a trend (probably not; it's high risk).
    Too late.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

According to some reports the girl called the police because four other girls were coming after her and she grabbed a knife to defend herself against four others.  Also she is a kid.

A different girl gets kicked, not with the knife. I can only go by what I see.  Hindsight is out the window.

Should the girl have been shot?  She was trying to knife someone else.  Does the cop let her do that and then be called out for NOT doing something?

It's a lose lose here.

Assess the situation like the other three in scene that didn’t come out guns blazing...
    Guns blazing? He pulled his gun after the girl with the knife charged in. He clearly had the direct POV of everything and saw the knife raised at the girl in pink. Right then he has to decide. There is no training or simulation I know of where the officer would not fire in that situation. It's negligence to wait and see if she really will slash that girl across the neck or sink it in to her body. Not every police shooting is unjustified.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It's a lose lose here.

And while you're assessing a girl is getting stabbed to death.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Too late.

Poster children for massive white privilege douchebags.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    OnWis97 said:

Too late.

AKA the modern day GOP
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It's a lose lose here.

Going back to stand your ground. If this is a gang of girls that are threatening her, does she not have a right to self defense?  It’s crazy that the default is always finding a way to justify cops when often times the official story is something like this...
    how any of you have faith in the police at this point is beyond me.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It's a lose lose here.

Going back to stand your ground. If this is a gang of girls that are threatening her, does she not have a right to self defense?  It’s crazy that the default is always finding a way to justify cops when often times the official story is something like this...
    That original police report about Floyd's death is so incredibly damning... no wonder it's being ignored as much as it is. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It's a lose lose here.

I don't know how much self defense it is. All the details haven't been released, but where did she get the knife? Does she illegally carry? Or what probably happened is she goes inside, gets a knife, and comes back out for another confrontation. At that point, its not self defense, the police have a right to intervene. 
    I'm sure you'd be happy for the police if it was your daughter than was about 1/10 of a second away from being stabbed. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It's a lose lose here.

I don't think the default is to find a way to defend the cops. i think the default, at least for me, is to find the truth. in this instance, it looks to me like it was justified. most of them aren't. but this one was. 

you have a right to defend yourself but with reasonable force. it doesn't appear to me (at this point) that any of them had any weapons. it was unreasonable to just get all stabby. 

especially when the cops arrived on scene. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It's a lose lose here.

That original police report about Floyd's death is so incredibly damning... no wonder it's being ignored as much as it is. 
    But people are saying the same thing about the Ohio incident and it looks like the police will be justified. Turns out the initial statement about Floyd was lacking details. It should have been worded differently for sure, but it was never going to indicate an officer murdered a suspect in custody from the onset.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,576
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It's a lose lose here.

But people are saying the same thing about the Ohio incident and it looks like the police will be justified. Turns out the initial statement about Floyd was lacking details. It should have been worded differently for sure, but it was never going to indicate an officer murdered a suspect in custody from the onset.
    No, but had that young woman not been filming with her cell phone and had all those eyewitnesses not borne witness, he would have gotten away with it and that police statement would be the "official" record. Think about that for a moment (I know you have). That's NK, putin on the ritz or Saddam type shit. In 'Murica.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It's a lose lose here.

I can't speak much about the OH incident... does the OH police report more or less jive with what we know / think happened? 

Regarding the Floyd report, I hear what you're saying; they aren't going to indicate they possibly murdered a suspect, so they left out details about the 9+ minutes where the victim's neck was knelt on until he passed out... that's literally the problem here. They intentionally did not disclose very significant details of what led to the medical distress and eventually Floyd's death. 

If passersby hadn't filmed it, Chauvin would almost certainly be out patrolling streets right now. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It's a lose lose here.

I don't think the default is to find a way to defend the cops. i think the default, at least for me, is to find the truth. in this instance, it looks to me like it was justified. most of them aren't. but this one was. 

you have a right to defend yourself but with reasonable force. it doesn't appear to me (at this point) that any of them had any weapons. it was unreasonable to just get all stabby. 

especially when the cops arrived on scene. 
    I like the way you phrased that.
    But you also think the majority of police shootings aren't justified? We only hear of about 1 or 2% of police shootings partially because there was no question. The vast majority of police shootings are armed, and most are white. I would agree minorities are at a higher percentage than their population. But most shootings dont make the news and we don't know the victims because they were justified, or justified white males and pretty much zero chance you hear about it. 
    Stats differ drastically, but of the 1000 police shootings a year you usually see between 10-50 were unarmed. I just cant agree with a statement that most police shootings aren't justified. 
    That doesn't mean they all are, or that they cant do better.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    What's 
    'allowed'
    'justified'
    and
    'trained'
    is getting people killed.

We live in a police state.  We deserve better.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    OnWis97 said:

Too late.

Pink shirt and khakis gave it away, huh?
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    What's 
    'allowed'
    'justified'
    and
    'trained'
    is getting people killed.

We live in a police state.  We deserve better.
    We do deserve better and so do the police officers being put on the street who sometimes lack the training and education required to do the job effectively. City and state leaders should be reforming the requirements needed to be a police officer. This includes upping the minimum quals and making after action reviews a requirement. We can't just keep yelling at the clouds and saying police bad, defund them.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    #backtheblue is being used to praise postal workers and medical workers right now.

at this point, i believe this is the only appropriate use of that hashtag.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    As soon as he dropped the race card I stopped reading...  Which was 2 sentences in.  Listening to an officer's commands is like listening to the overseer?

I wonder if he mentions what happens when a Black officer does it?
This discussion has been closed.