Police abuse

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    mace1229 said:
    The more I learned about the George Floyd case the more I think all 4 deserve charges.

But I don’t agree at all with this Atlanta shooting. The DA sounds like a complete idiot in is press conference. 2 weeks ago he charged 4 cops with aggravated assault for using a taser: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/attorney-says-da-rushed-charge-officers-involved-tasing-college-students/Y3RHMIZ2ZNCC7HA723UGEKQS54/%3foutputType=amp

According to a quick google search, Aggravated assault in Georgia Is : Aggravated assault, a felony in Georgia, is an assault that is committed:
    -with the intent to rob, rape or murder
    -with a deadly weapon or any object that can be or is used in a manner that results in serious bodily injury or strangulation

Seems like 2 weeks ago the DA thought a taser was pretty serious, now it doesn’t mean anything when you use it on a cop?
    Maybe you should have watched the Atlanta DA’s press conference where he laid out the 11 charges, the reasons for them and the supporting evidence that they reviewed in order to bring the charges, citing GA law, police training manuals and directives issued before you accuse him of being a “complete idiot.” Regardless, it’ll be up to a jury to decide how many of the 11 charges the cop is guilty of.

You know who’s a complete idiot? The cop, at the very least, for kicking the victim after he shot him twice in the back as he was running away. But you know, death is the penalty for being 0.108 BAC intoxicated.
    That cop is an idiot.  But please stop this nonsense about death for 0.108 BAC.... it was that, it was resisting arrest, it was taking a cops taser, it was running, and it was pointing a taser at a cop.

I personally still think police need to be trained differently.  They knew who it was and had his car. They already had the BAC.  Let him run away and get him later.
    I don't necessarily agree with letting him run away and get him later, though I understand the sentiment. But the training issue I have with all this is these two officer being unable to wrestle one man to the ground. In the video, you hear the cop that had his taser stolen say "You're going to get tased! You're going to get tased!" Well fucking tase him. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited June 2020
    mace1229 said:
    The more I learned about the George Floyd case the more I think all 4 deserve charges.

But I don’t agree at all with this Atlanta shooting. The DA sounds like a complete idiot in is press conference. 2 weeks ago he charged 4 cops with aggravated assault for using a taser: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/attorney-says-da-rushed-charge-officers-involved-tasing-college-students/Y3RHMIZ2ZNCC7HA723UGEKQS54/%3foutputType=amp

According to a quick google search, Aggravated assault in Georgia Is : Aggravated assault, a felony in Georgia, is an assault that is committed:
    -with a deadly weapon or any object that can be or is used in a manner that results in serious bodily injury or strangulation

Seems like 2 weeks ago the DA thought a taser was pretty serious, now it doesn’t mean anything when you use it on a cop?
    Maybe you should have watched the Atlanta DA’s press conference where he laid out the 11 charges, the reasons for them and the supporting evidence that they reviewed in order to bring the charges, citing GA law, police training manuals and directives issued before you accuse him of being a “complete idiot.” Regardless, it’ll be up to a jury to decide how many of the 11 charges the cop is guilty of.

You know who’s a complete idiot? The cop, at the very least, for kicking the victim after he shot him twice in the back as he was running away. But you know, death is the penalty for being 0.108 BAC intoxicated.
    That cop is an idiot.  But please stop this nonsense about death for 0.108 BAC.... it was that, it was resisting arrest, it was taking a cops taser, it was running, and it was pointing a taser at a cop.

I personally still think police need to be trained differently.  They knew who it was and had his car. They already had the BAC.  Let him run away and get him later.
    I didn’t bring up the being drunk part of it. I responded to another poster who made a snarky comment about the DA’s description of Brooks’ intoxication. And yes, the DUI investigation and subsequent charges ended in death, prior to any sense of justice. But the cops will have their day in court, right? Have a shot at “beating the rap?”
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not sure what that has to do with someone who is passed out drunk in a drive through, assaults 2 cops, grabs their taser and uses it in them and calling him slightly intoxicated, cordial, cooperative and jovial.

And he wasn’t shot for having a 0.108 BAC. I know it’s a matter of time before memes pop up and say if you’re black you get shot for going to a drive through. He was shot because he assaulted 2 cops, clearly over powered both, grabbed their taser and used it in them.

I’m not saying they did everything perfect, but for the DA to describe Brown as slightly intoxicated, cordial and jovial and put the death penalty on the table is ridiculous.
    Again, had you watched the DA’s press conference, it would have been explained to you. For 47 minutes of prior interaction Brown had been as described. In your previous post you alluded to being so drunk he passed out as not being indicative of something. I posted his actual BAC as reported.

The death penalty is on the table as the range of penalty under GA law and not on the table because of the DA. The murder charge carries a penalty of 20 years up to the death penalty.

Where do you get your information? 
    And those 47 minutes are erased the moment he attacked the cops and took their weapon. To describe someone as cooperative who assaults 2 cops is in accurate, regardless how he behaved prior to the attack.

So are you denying he was passed out drunk? Passed out in his car blocking a drive though? Are you denying he physically assaulted 2 cops? Are you denying he took one of their weapons that just 2 weeks ago the DA described as a deadly weapon? Does watching a press conference change those facts?
    edited June 2020
    mace1229 said:

Yes, exactly. And 0.108 is pretty high. It’s 35% higher than the legal limit. The dude was wasted, I don’t know why people are acting like he was a little tipsy.
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not sure what that has to do with someone who is passed out drunk in a drive through, assaults 2 cops, grabs their taser and uses it in them and calling him slightly intoxicated, cordial, cooperative and jovial.

And he wasn’t shot for having a 0.108 BAC. I know it’s a matter of time before memes pop up and say if you’re black you get shot for going to a drive through. He was shot because he assaulted 2 cops, clearly over powered both, grabbed their taser and used it in them.

I’m not saying they did everything perfect, but for the DA to describe Brown as slightly intoxicated, cordial and jovial and put the death penalty on the table is ridiculous.
    umm a story I read claimed the taser had been fired twice before it was taken by the victim. it would have been effective ONLY if he threw it at them...
    Yeah, fired by Brooks at the cops. They aren’t allowed to defend themselves anymore? Your argument is really that after he shots the taser it’s spent so he isn’t a threat?

Im not saying the cops did everything perfectly. But come on, the whole scuffle lasted like 12 seconds and a cop has a fraction of a second to rewatch in that situation. You really expect him in that fraction of a second count how many taser shots are fired? Or just defend himself? 
    mace1229 said:

I didn’t bring up the being drunk part of it. I responded to another poster who made a snarky comment about the DA’s description of Brown’s intoxication. And yes, the DUI investigation and subsequent charges ended in death, prior to any sense of justice. But the cops will have their day in court, right? Have a shot at “beating the rap?”
    You actually said “ death is the penalty for being 0.108 BAC intoxicated.“
    So there’s that. Yeah, you said cops killed him for being .108
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yes, exactly. And 0.108 is pretty high. It’s 35% higher than the legal limit. The dude was wasted, I don’t know why people are acting like he was a little tipsy.
    You know why. It’s because if you’re on the left, you can’t be on the cops side. Same vice versa. Everything has to be partisan to the point that neither side could think clearly anymore. It’s frustrating to watch and it makes no sense. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

You know why. It’s because if you’re on the left, you can’t be on the cops side. Same vice versa. Everything has to be partisan to the point that neither side could think clearly anymore. It’s frustrating to watch and it makes no sense. 
    Winner, winner.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    I'm having a hard time w the Atlanta shooting, I really am.

I'm thinking about when Sully and Jeff Skiles were being interrogated and they had FAA people go and try out to see if they could fly back safely without any human error or in the moment crisis thinking and they did every time.  Put into effect the real time confrontation and not the last 10 seconds then I think there is a different 
    if I put that perspective in to this incident I say that the officers actions are justifiable.

Being in this time of tumultuous political climate though the cop is going to lose every time.

I'm thinking about when Sully and Jeff Skiles were being interrogated and they had FAA people go and try out to see if they could fly back safely without any human error or in the moment crisis thinking and they did every time.  Put into effect the real time confrontation and not the last 10 seconds then I think there is a different 
    if I put that perspective in to this incident I say that the officers actions are justifiable.

Being in this time of tumultuous political climate though the cop is going to lose every time.
    It’s dumb and its going to do a lot of harm in the future. Elected officials have to bow down to angry mobs or else have their city burned to the ground. This will not help. It will only make things worse. No good level minded person will choose to become a cop. Why would they anymore? 

Fucking conservatives are too cool to put a mask on and liberals are too woke for their own good. 
    nicknyr15 said:

It’s dumb and its going to do a lot of harm in the future. Elected officials have to bow down to angry mobs or else have their city burned to the ground. This will not help. It will only make things worse. No good level minded person will choose to become a cop. Why would they anymore? 

Fucking conservatives are too cool to put a mask on and liberals are too woke for their own good. 
    We do need a change though.

I built prisons for 15 years all over the world.  Sometimes 2 a year.  I would tell people the same thing "As long as they keep making stupid laws and locking people up for stupid things, I will have a job."

I walked away from that career path but still believe those words true.
    nicknyr15 said:

We do need a change though.

I built prisons for 15 years all over the world.  Sometimes 2 a year.  I would tell people the same thing "As long as they keep making stupid laws and locking people up for stupid things, I will have a job."

I walked away from that career path but still believe those words true.
    I absolutely believe there needs to be changes. 100%. 

Good analogy. Except in a situation like that cops don’t have 10 seconds, closer to about 0.1 to decide.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

Patrol: No gun found in car of Missouri woman shot by deputy

https://www.columbiatribune.com/news/20200616/patrol-no-gun-found-in-car-of-missouri-woman-shot-by-deputy

By Margaret Stafford The Associated Press
    Posted Jun 16, 2020 at 12:53 PM

LIBERTY — Investigators found no weapon inside a vehicle driven by a Missouri woman who was shot and killed by a sheriff’s deputy over the weekend, authorities said Tuesday.

Hannah Fizer, 25, died Saturday night after being shot by a Pettis County deputy following a traffic stop.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol, which is investigating the shooting, initially said Fizer was shot after she said she had a gun and threatened to shoot the deputy.

Investigators who searched her car did not find a weapon, patrol spokesman Bill Lowe said Tuesday. He said no new information was available to explain why the situation escalated into a shooting. No one else was injured during the confrontation.

Fizer was stopped after she ran a red light as she drove to work Saturday night, the patrol said. She kept going even as the deputy tried to stop her, but she eventually pulled over.

Fizer’s family and friends expressed doubt that she had a gun. Her father, John Fizer, said Monday that his daughter never carried a gun and she was not likely to become belligerent with law enforcement officers.

No body camera or dashcam video of the encounter exists. Pettis County Sheriff Kevin Bond told TV station KOMU that the department’s deputies stopped wearing cameras about three years ago because of technical difficulties and a lack of funding.

Lowe said the Fizer investigation is a priority for the patrol but that it could be up to a month before all reports are complete and information is compiled to send to the district attorney, who will determine if anyone will be charged.

The deputy, whose name has not been released, was placed on paid administrative leave pending the investigation, which is routine in officer-involved shootings. He has worked for Pettis County since 2007 and had no previous complaints against him, Bond said.

The shooting comes amid increased scrutiny of officer-involved killings since the May 25 death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Floyd was a black man who died after a white police officer pressed a knee into Floyd’s neck for several minutes as he pleaded for air and eventually stopped moving. Both Fizer and the deputy who shot her were white.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    So all the "bad cops" videos reminds me of shark attacks.  They happen all the time but they hardly get reported until it's the latest buzz. Remember when the news was reporting about shark sightings every day?

The cop videos are all a buzz now too.  It's the "in" thing to report on.

Something should be done but it's being sensationalized too.
    In the wider media world, sure, but if you follow a group like Police the Police you see new videos of abuse every single day.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    So all the "bad cops" videos reminds me of shark attacks.  They happen all the time but they hardly get reported until it's the latest buzz. Remember when the news was reporting about shark sightings every day?

Apparently 140 shark attacks in the entire world in 2019. Five fatalities. 

But sure, they happen “all the time” and are comparable to police brutality. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

I agree with it being sensationalized. I absolutely believe they make it worse. I saw several guests on the news talk about Brown and the reason he resisted and fought was because he knew if he got handcuffed the police would kill him, so he was fighting for his life. And the anchor doesn’t dispute that, and then makes comments like it’s open season on black men.
    Something like 0.003% of police interactions with blacks are fatal  (I forget where I heard that, but seems reasonable when you consider there are tens of millions of police interactions every year and comparatively how few are fatal) . Yes, it should be 0% and yes we should make changes to improve it. But to categorize all cops as racists and that it’s open season just isn’t accurate and it creates a bigger problem when you convince an entire population they are going to die if they don’t fight back.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    mace1229 said:

I agree with it being sensationalized. I absolutely believe they make it worse. I saw several guests on the news talk about Brown and the reason he resisted and fought was because he knew if he got handcuffed the police would kill him, so he was fighting for his life. And the anchor doesn’t dispute that, and then makes comments like it’s open season on black men.
    Something like 0.003% of police interactions with blacks are fatal  (I forget where I heard that, but seems reasonable when you consider there are tens of millions of police interactions every year and comparatively how few are fatal) . Yes, it should be 0% and yes we should make changes to improve it. But to categorize all cops as racists and that it’s open season just isn’t accurate and it creates a bigger problem when you convince an entire population they are going to die if they don’t fight back.
    The sad irony of this vilification of police is that it's going to lead to MORE incidents like George Floyd. What good person that wants to help people is going to want to a cop? They'll all get into different professions, and ten years or so from now, the entire police force coast-to-coast might be filled with Derek Chauvin-types. The "LET'S GO ON PATROL!" type of guys. Those guys aren't big into the "To Serve and Protect" form of policing. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

Apparently 140 shark attacks in the entire world in 2019. Five fatalities. 

But sure, they happen “all the time” and are comparable to police brutality. 
    Not all the cop videos become a thing either .  You could look at it that way.
    mace1229 said:

The sad irony of this vilification of police is that it's going to lead to MORE incidents like George Floyd. What good person that wants to help people is going to want to a cop? They'll all get into different professions, and ten years or so from now, the entire police force coast-to-coast might be filled with Derek Chauvin-types. The "LET'S GO ON PATROL!" type of guys. Those guys aren't big into the "To Serve and Protect" form of policing. 
    Right. I would Also imagine any cop within retirement age is going to be retiring sooner than later. Leaving a shortage of cops with less funds to replace them. So the quality of candidates will go down even more 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Right. I would Also imagine any cop within retirement age is going to be retiring sooner than later. Leaving a shortage of cops with less funds to replace them. So the quality of candidates will go down even more 
    This should be viewed as a good thing.

New recruits, new teachings.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

It could be. But when I hear so many complaining about the quality of recruits being low, it’s just going to get lower with less funding and more demand
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

which only goes as far as them getting to their training officer. Chauvin was a training officer....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

It could be. But when I hear so many complaining about the quality of recruits being low, it’s just going to get lower with less funding and more demand
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

which only goes as far as them getting to their training officer. Chauvin was a training officer....

New teaching though.  That would help a lot.
    nicknyr15 said:
    I'm not buying the "stop and frisk" being stopped recently as the rise for the shootings.  Now way.
    nicknyr15 said:
    I'm not buying the "stop and frisk" being stopped recently as the rise for the shootings.  Now way.
    Whatever the reason is, it’s not good. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited June 2020
    cutz said:

Post edited by cutz on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’ll just say that two officers (one young, the other nearing retirement age) helped me tremendously at the hospital today. Didn’t have to but chose to. It made a difference.