Options

Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    JimmyV said:

Iraq, Ukraine, Syria, Gaza...the insistence that Eddie was only referring to a single conflict continues to miss his point.

Too much war, too many warlords, too many conflicts. Worldwide.

Well said, Jimmy V and thanks for pointing this out!

It's so heavily ironic that 98% of this (to now) 55 page thread is off the mark as far as what the thread is about. The opportunity to place those 98% of errant posts found here is in AMT but for some reason, like plaque in unbrushed teeth, the misplaced posts continue to flourish here.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

Iraq, Ukraine, Syria, Gaza...the insistence that Eddie was only referring to a single conflict continues to miss his point.

It's so heavily ironic that 98% of this (to now) 55 page thread is off the mark as far as what the thread is about. The opportunity to place those 98% of errant posts found here is in AMT but for some reason, like plaque in unbrushed teeth, the misplaced posts continue to flourish here.

Isn't it ironic that " World Wide Suicide " seems very appropriate for today's world too ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

Isn't it ironic that " World Wide Suicide " seems very appropriate for today's world too ....
    So true, joserevolution, sad but true.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JimmyV said:

Does anyone find it the least bit interesting that we've spent the last 6 years removing ourselves from world affairs and now the world is on fire? I know we can't and shouldn't be involved in everything. But, perhaps SOME vigilance might be in order to "maintain the peace." (And no I'm not so stupid I think that nothing goes on when we are more involved. I am talking about degrees).

A little preventive measure goes a long way. - Speak softly and carry a big stick. (which does not mean you have to use the stick. Just that folks know you're willing to use it instead of jibber jabbing).

I think it is a good point, but I disagree that the world was not also on fire six years ago.

Again, all relative. I know all's not quiet on the Western/Eastern/Central front then. But, there certainly was a different focus and certain entities were relatively quiet. That doesn't mean what was going on was 100% right and that atrocities weren't still happening. But, again - it's a relativity.

We'd all like World Peace, but it's very clear there are factions that will never abide, so we must always be vigilant and not be so quick to dismiss the need for military intervention (which, of course, comes with it's own difficult decisions of what's right, wrong, effective, etc.). What's clear at least to me is that burying our heads in the sand and saying - now, y'all be good - ok? is not only ineffective but creates an atmosphere that certain groups feel they can fill with greater destruction without caring who gets killed to further their personal agendas. Kind of like this thread. :)>-
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

Not entirely true. There are certainly groups that are willing to sacrifice the innocents they claim to represent to further their cause at any cost. And there are other groups that are trying to protect a way of life that is predicated on freedom and individual liberties despite what the rhetoric would say. Neither side is perfect, but I will always side with the one fighting and protecting freedom and their citizens.

So neither side is committing suicide. One is protecting its people. The other is sacrificing it. Suicide indicates one is willing to kill oneself.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

Are you saying that the moderators on this forum don't know how to do their job properly? This thread has been allowed to continue, so can the complaints about it being off topic finally stop? Please? if the mods feel the need to close the thread, then they can choose to do so.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    edited August 2014

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

Not entirely true. There are certainly groups that are willing to sacrifice the innocents they claim to represent to further their cause at any cost. And there are other groups that are trying to protect a way of life that is predicated on freedom and individual liberties despite what the rhetoric would say. Neither side is perfect, but I will always side with the one fighting and protecting freedom and their citizens.

So neither side is committing suicide. One is protecting its people. The other is sacrificing it. Suicide indicates one is willing to kill oneself.

...........Im just talking about the song dude that is all .......how it seems appropriate for today's world ...
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    fuck said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

Are you saying that the moderators on this forum don't know how to do their job properly? This thread has been allowed to continue, so can the complaints about it being off topic finally stop? Please? if the mods feel the need to close the thread, then they can choose to do so.
    Well, we haven't heard from the mods here so I don't know what they're thinking. I don't criticize what they do- it's not my place to do so. No, I'm guessing they have other things to do than read 55 pages of the same things being said over and over. I will say though that I am very surprised that they have tolerated all the seething personal attacks in these threads- but again, that's not my call. More irony, I suppose.

• Options
    brianlux said:

fuck said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

Well, we haven't heard from the mods here so I don't know what they're thinking. I don't criticize what they do- it's not my place to do so. No, I'm guessing they have other things to do than read 55 pages of the same things being said over and over. I will say though that I am very surprised that they have tolerated all the seething personal attacks in these threads- but again, that's not my call. More irony, I suppose.

My understanding from the line of your previous post, "The opportunity to place those 98% of errant posts found here is in AMT but for some reason, like plaque in unbrushed teeth, the misplaced posts continue to flourish here," was that you were calling out the mods (the "for some reason" the posts are allowed "to flourish here" being that the mods are not doing their jobs well enough). But now that you have clarified that that was not your intention, and that your post was just another attempt to derail the conversation without contributing any substance to it, I can go back to ignoring you. Cheers.
  • Options

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

Perhaps the point of the song is that the idea of seeing "different sides" in constant conflict with each other is problematic in and of itself and "suicidal" since it leads to perpetual violence. That may have been the point josevolution was trying to make.

That being said, and I am no longer addressing you now Edson, I do not mean to suggest that seeking justice through peaceful means perpetuates conflict. And that does not mean that demanding that an oppressing power cease its persecution of people is suicidal either. Achieving justice can be messy, but so long as principles are upheld throughout this initiative, such as securing freedom and equality, and allowing an oppressed people to maintain their dignity, I think we can keep sight and not stray off into perpetual conflict. But so long as people forgo justice for peace, then oppression will continue, albeit in a silent manner.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,948
    fuck said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a mod step in on this board for the sole reason that a thread was off topic. Maybe it has happened, but that is not usually what brings in the mods.

There are several threads related specifically to Gaza on AMT. Waging a war to make this one exclusive to a single conflict does nothing to help those in Gaza. Or Syria. Or Iraq. Or Ukraine. Or anywhere else. At some point it just becomes about yelling on the internet, pounding your chest, and screaming "I'm right!" You are free to do that, but brianlux is also free to post whatever he likes as well.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    edited August 2014
    my2hands said:

Please do not take any offense my friend, I really do not mean to offend and do not want it to come across that way, but I am actually curious...

I'm not that easily offended.
    my2hands said:

Are you doing anything to help in regards to this conflict? And do you have any advice to people that may want to help, in anyway?

Countering Israel's army of internet liars on online forums, and comment sections is just a small contribution. Writing to various MP's, is another - including letters to members of the European Union, and various members of the House of Lords - is another. Signing petitions is also a small contribution, as sometimes they can be produced as evidence of a large consensus. And boycotting products that are listed on the BDS list:

Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Does anyone find it the least bit interesting that we've spent the last 6 years removing ourselves from world affairs and now the world is on fire?

You've done nothing of the sort.

$4 Billion in military aid to Israel and rubber-stamping Israel's crimes at the U.N does not constitute 'removing yourself' from World affairs.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

fuck said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a mod step in on this board for the sole reason that a thread was off topic. Maybe it has happened, but that is not usually what brings in the mods.

There are several threads related specifically to Gaza on AMT. Waging a war to make this one exclusive to a single conflict does nothing to help those in Gaza. Or Syria. Or Iraq. Or Ukraine. Or anywhere else. At some point it just becomes about yelling on the internet, pounding your chest, and screaming "I'm right!" You are free to do that, but brianlux is also free to post whatever he likes as well.
    No one is waging a war to make this about one topic. If some people decided to start a completely separate conversation about the Ukrainian situation, why would anyone complain about that? I still maintain that Eddie's initial comment at the show had to do with the number one news story in the world at the moment, namely Israel's assault on Gaza. Of course his words can be applied elsewhere too. That's the point of being a principled person - you maintain consistency on these issues, whenever you see parallels. The thing that I find disingenuous is when people come into this thread and question others' intentions by saying "Why are you not decrying those dead in Syria in the same manner as those in Gaza?" This is meant to only serve as a distraction, and is not productive.

No one is preventing people from talking about other conflicts. I should probably only speak for myself, but I don't believe I've seen others preventing people either, and I also have not seen people like brianlux attempting to talk about anything other than saying things along the lines of 'Stop doing what you're doing, it's wrong, all of it, it's wrong', and then occasionally chiming in the discussion of Israel/Palestine with misguided comments such as "both sides are to blame". People are welcome to participate in a discussion on this conflict, but don't be so sensitive if someone tells you you are wrong and explains why.

Finally, I find your last sentence a bit strange - I never suggested that brianlux is not free to post what he wants. This speaks to a greater problem where people seem to respond to what I write by suggesting I wrote something else. I said I'd ignore his posts - not that he shouldn't post anymore. :)
  • Options
    Byrnzie said:

Does anyone find it the least bit interesting that we've spent the last 6 years removing ourselves from world affairs and now the world is on fire?

$4 Billion in military aid to Israel and rubber-stamping Israel's crimes at the U.N does not constituting 'removing yourself' from World affairs.

Never mind drone warfare that has claimed the lives of thousands, as well as covert ops in Somalia, Libya, Afghanistan and Pakistan...
  • Options
    fuck said:

Byrnzie said:

$4 Billion in military aid to Israel and rubber-stamping Israel's crimes at the U.N does not constituting 'removing yourself' from World affairs.

Never mind drone warfare that has claimed the lives of thousands, as well as covert ops in Somalia, Libya, Afghanistan and Pakistan...
    That too.

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,091
    I just wanna say after not posting since about 40 pages ago but following fairly closely, I am all for peace and love posts that people such as brianlux have posted. It certainly can't hurt to try to spread that message. With that being said, I also don't want anyone to lose sight of what is happening... A one sided civilian massacre over a clear land grab by the Israeli govt. hopefully some of the great information posters such as fuck and byrnzie have provided gets more people involved in doing something to work towards stopping this massacre. I have signed a couple petitions and continue to boycott products on the BDS list. I hope others do the same.

Peace.
  • Options

I just wanna say after not posting since about 40 pages ago but following fairly closely, I am all for peace and love posts that people such as brianlux have posted. It certainly can't hurt to try to spread that message. With that being said, I also don't want anyone to lose sight of what is happening... A one sided civilian massacre over a clear land grab by the Israeli govt. hopefully some of the great information posters such as fuck and byrnzie have provided gets more people involved in doing something to work towards stopping this massacre. I

Thanks. I hope so too.

• Options
    Haywood YablomeeHaywood Yablomee Posts: 608
    edited August 2014
    Thank you for the list... I will make sure to try to support these businesses as much as possible!!
    Byrnzie said:

my2hands said:

Are you doing anything to help in regards to this conflict? And do you have any advice to people that may want to help, in anyway?

Countering Israel's army of internet liars on online forums, and comment sections is just a small contribution. Writing to various MP's, is another - including letters to members of the European Union, and various members of the House of Lords - is another. Signing petitions is also a small contribution, as sometimes they can be produced as evidence of a large consensus. And boycotting products that are listed on the BDS list:

Post edited by Haywood Yablomee on
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited August 2014

I just wanna say after not posting since about 40 pages ago but following fairly closely, I am all for peace and love posts that people such as brianlux have posted. It certainly can't hurt to try to spread that message. With that being said, I also don't want anyone to lose sight of what is happening... A one sided civilian massacre over a clear land grab by the Israeli govt. hopefully some of the great information posters such as fuck and byrnzie have provided gets more people involved in doing something to work towards stopping this massacre. I have signed a couple petitions and continue to boycott products on the BDS list. I hope others do the same.

Peace.

These "information posters" as you call them, have been nothing but bullies to some of us, and have absolutely not swayed one gram of my mind on anything remotely here.

If you can't respect fellow posters, you deserve no respect back. Makes not one bit of difference how many "facts" one can find to support their agenda, if you can't treat others respectfully, you lose all credibility instantly.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options

Peace.

These "information posters" as you call them, have been nothing but bullies to some of us, and have absolutely not swayed one gram of my mind on anything remotely here.

If you can't respect fellow posters, you deserve no respect back. Makes not one bit of difference how many "facts" one can find to support their agenda, if you can't treat others respectfully, you lose all credibility instantly.
    Yup
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Peace.

If you can't respect fellow posters, you deserve no respect back. Makes not one bit of difference how many "facts" one can find, if you can't treat others respectfully, you lose all credibility instantly.
    Wow, so with all the information put forth on here, you're not swayed because of the "information posters" you find "bullying?" Again, not for nothing but you seem just as angry as these "information posters." I've seen you keep talking about peace over and over but your mannor in which u do it comes across angry. I find it odd that a time like this, with a conflict like this, that you're actually more angry at some "information posters" then the actual conflict itself. Which of course you have every right to. It would be great if the world was all about peace and love but the reality is it isn't. No matter how awesome it sounds, it's defened by the sounds of bombs and screams of children.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Peace.

If you can't respect fellow posters, you deserve no respect back. Makes not one bit of difference how many "facts" one can find, if you can't treat others respectfully, you lose all credibility instantly.
    Wow, so with all the information put forth on here, you're not swayed because of the "information posters" you find "bullying?" Again, not for nothing but you seem just as angry as these "information posters." I've seen you keep talking about peace over and over but your mannor in which u do it comes across angry. I find it odd that a time like this, with a conflict like this, that you're actually more angry at some "information posters" then the actual conflict itself. Which of course you have every right to. It would be great if the world was all about peace and love but the reality is it isn't. No matter how awesome it sounds, it's defened by the sounds of bombs and screams of children.
    Tell that to Eddie Vedder.
  • Options

badbrains said:

Peace.

I'd have no problem telling that to him or anyone else.
  • Options

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    Byrnzie said:

Hate the man, love the sentiment.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited August 2014

You talk about Vedder a lot, as if you think you have the man all sussed out, summed up, wrapped, sent, and delivered. You talk as if he's a one-dimensional representation of everything you believe, and that his word is carved in stone.

What did you think about what he said, and how he said it, in Milton Keynes? Or have you conveniently written that off as an aberration due to too much red wine?

Personally, If I was Ed Vedder I'd be pretty pissed off if I happened to read all the fawning, sycophantic bilge that you keep sending his way.
  • Options
  • Options
    Byrnzie said:

Me, LOL
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,091

Peace.

I try to respect others. I also try to see things for what they are. Civilians are being murdered and that doesn't sit well with me. I respect that others might feel "bullied" by some posters but the main point has not hopefully not been missed...the massacre of Palestinians had to stop NOW!
This discussion has been closed.