Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    hedonist said:

JimmyV said:

That this anger has repeatedly spilled over into attacks on one another on the board is I think what people were hoping to eliminate.

Yes...that's what I've been addressing. Not the anger itself but turning it personal.

Shit, I'm surprised no one's been called a doodyhead yet.

I'm such a SHITHEAD! ;)=))
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    badbrains said:

hedonist said:

JimmyV said:

That this anger has repeatedly spilled over into attacks on one another on the board is I think what people were hoping to eliminate.

Yes...that's what I've been addressing. Not the anger itself but turning it personal.

Shit, I'm surprised no one's been called a doodyhead yet.

I'm such a SHITHEAD! ;)=))
    Nah, you're alright ;)
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,685
    What with all the name calling and personal attacks, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. The OP message is such a good one and it's really sad how it has been degraded. It really is possible to be outraged by the events in Gaza and still hope for peace. That doesn't make a person a hypocrite. And it really is possible to strongly disagree with someone without calling them names or declaring what others say is "a crock of shit".

I'm still for advocating peace on this thread and taking the ranting somewhere else. It doesn't mean I'm not outraged by much of what goes on in Gaza. It's just that I don't like to shit in the living room. That's what bathrooms are for. I don't see the point of raging in the sanctuary, that's what the courtroom or boxing ring is for.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    brianlux said:

What with all the name calling and personal attacks, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. The OP message is such a good one and it's really sad how it has been degraded. It really is possible to be outraged by the events in Gaza and still hope for peace. That doesn't make a person a hypocrite. And it really is possible to strongly disagree with someone without calling them names or declaring what others say is "a crock of shit".

I'm still for advocating peace on this thread and taking the ranting somewhere else. It doesn't mean I'm not outraged by much of what goes on in Gaza. It's just that I don't like to shit in the living room. That's what bathrooms are for. I don't see the point of raging in the sanctuary, that's what the courtroom or boxing ring is for.

No one is upset with your calls for peace. In fact, it is people like you (though I won't say you specifically because I haven't read closely enough to see if you've done this) who have insisted that one cannot be outraged about Gaza and also call for peace. It is people like you in this thread who have been trying to silence those of us calling attention to Israeli crimes. Every time someone talks about Israeli crimes in this thread, people come in and say "Stop! You're so angry while looking at murdered children! Let's just have peace!" What the fuck kind of contribution is that to an anti-war discussion? How is that even remotely constructive?

In my opinion, calling attention to crimes is what makes an anti-war discussion. I think it is beyond clear that everyone here is interested in peace, especially those outraged by the Israeli war on Gaza. The question is how to move forward. You can stay in Level 1 and come into this thread 4 times a day to make sure everyone wants peace over and over again, or you can come over to Level 2 and engage the actual points about how we can get there, who to hold responsible for crimes, and what we can do to bring about justice. It's really not complicated.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    It is people like you in this thread who have been trying to silence those of us calling attention to Israeli crimes. Every time someone talks about Israeli crimes in this thread, people come in and say "Stop! You're so angry while looking at murdered children! Let's just have peace!" What the fuck kind of contribution is that to an anti-war discussion? How is that even remotely constructive?
    "People like you" - and the description is actually pretty way off.

I think this is why there won't be a meeting of the minds here, or at least a long way to go.

NO ONE is trying to silence anyone. Speak out, shout out, scream out - all of us. But not at each other.

Most of the responses to the angry comments have been towards those slinging shit and insults at anyone who, god forbid, sees things differently, offers another view, acknowledges being beyond pissed off but looking in a different direction.

There's a feast of anger all around, man.

A fucking smorgasbord of it.

Why should it turn to in-fighting?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,685
    fuck said:

brianlux said:

No one is upset with your calls for peace. In fact, it is people like you (though I won't say you specifically because I haven't read closely enough to see if you've done this) who have insisted that one cannot be outraged about Gaza and also call for peace. It is people like you in this thread who have been trying to silence those of us calling attention to Israeli crimes. Every time someone talks about Israeli crimes in this thread, people come in and say "Stop! You're so angry while looking at murdered children! Let's just have peace!" What the fuck kind of contribution is that to an anti-war discussion? How is that even remotely constructive?

In my opinion, calling attention to crimes is what makes an anti-war discussion. I think it is beyond clear that everyone here is interested in peace, especially those outraged by the Israeli war on Gaza. The question is how to move forward. You can stay in Level 1 and come into this thread 4 times a day to make sure everyone wants peace over and over again, or you can come over to Level 2 and engage the actual points about how we can get there, who to hold responsible for crimes, and what we can do to bring about justice. It's really not complicated.
    That's just not true. If you've read any of my post elsewhere where the outrage about Gaza is relevant and pertinent you would not say what you did above. That kind of provocation is uncalled for. Please don't make false statements about others.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Brian, I dnt think he was calling u out specifically. He mentions it a few lines up from what u highlighted in your post.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    edited July 2014
    badbrains said:

Brian, I dnt think he was calling u out specifically. He mentions it a few lines up from what u highlighted in your post.

But then he follows that up with the bolded text. " It is people like you in this thread who have been trying to silence those of us calling attention to Israeli crimes." Maybe that is an attack on others, but it is hard not to see it as an attack on Brian too. And it is most definitely an attack.

It seems to me that many of the pro-Israeli voices have retreated from this discussion. In their absence, some of the pro-Palestinian anger has been directed at people who are otherwise largely in agreement with their cause.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    brianlux said:

It's still about peace here.
    I'm walking with the peace seekers on this thread. Sorry to see the anger still bumping up against ourselves here. It's just not very useful if it isn't forged with cooperation- even worse when exercised out of context.
    Here, it's about peace.

edited July 2014
    Byrnzie said:

Again, you are assuming that everyday citizens aren't trying to affect a change. You have to differentiate between the U.S. government and it's citizens. To say that people aren't trying to do anything is an unfair statement to make.

Well, that's not the impression I get from reading people's posts.

WE CAN'T CONTROL WHAT HAPPENS IN THE MIDDLE EAST. But we can handle how we treat each other

Both sides have to give up ego, being "right", and their pride for any solutions to ever happen. So let it go, people!! When we get old, will we look back and say that we were open minded and accepted others for being different? Or will we look back and regret all the anger we had because our egos and pride were too precious to mess with? And where do egos and pride get us anyway in the long run? A lot of disconnection from other people, a lot of unhappiness, and a lot of war.

Seriously, what a crock of shit.

And every other comment being about my 'anger'. Sure, because we shouldn't get angry when thousands are being massacred with U.S tax dollars and U.S political support - 90% of them civilians, including approx 350 children.

No, don't get angry. Anger is bad for you. Just talk about peace and love instead, and do nothing.

Actually, this kind of apathy disgusts me.

Dude. You are making it personal. Am I angry? No.

I'm now bowing out getting personal with you. Care to do the same? I believe in communication, but communicating with an angry person is ridiculous. Nothing is ever solved that way.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
    edited July 2014
    Byrnzie said:

Nobody was trying to silence the 'flower-power' crowd. In fact, the complete opposite was the case. They all jumped on my 'anger' at the atrocities taking place, and my anger at those trying to excuse and justify it, and tried pretending that those who are actively trying to do someone about the massacre over there - by whatever means they have at their disposal - have emotional issues, and should basically shut up and puff on a bong.

For that last time, since the beginning, this thread is not about fighting. It's about peace. How many times does this have to be written?
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    badbrains said:

Geraldo fucken Rivera? Wtf, did I just see this. Believe me, NOT WHAT you'd expect.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5637081?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

just saw this......interesting
    but you know that ol' Geraldo used to hang with J Lennon back in the day.
    I think he had something to do with those Lennon fundraiser concerts in NYC for the neglected/abused patients
    He was into social causes before he started to suck Fox News' tit

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

JimmyV said:

badbrains said:

But then he follows that up with the bolded text. " It is people like you in this thread who have been trying to silence those of us calling attention to Israeli crimes." Maybe that is an attack on others, but it is hard not to see it as an attack on Brian too. And it is most definitely an attack.

It seems to me that many of the pro-Israeli voices have retreated from this discussion. In their absence, some of the pro-Palestinian anger has been directed at people who are otherwise largely in agreement with their cause.

Jim, buddy, brian highlighted the post not byrnzie. Lol all good tho bro.
    lolobugg said:

badbrains said:

Geraldo fucken Rivera? Wtf, did I just see this. Believe me, NOT WHAT you'd expect.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5637081?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

just saw this......interesting
    but you know that ol' Geraldo used to hang with J Lennon back in the day.
    I think he had something to do with those Lennon fundraiser concerts in NYC for the neglected/abused patients
    He was into social causes before he started to suck Fox News' tit
    And he even says he's a Zionist to on the program. I'm still in shock lol
    edited July 2014
    badbrains said:

JimmyV said:

badbrains said:

You mean fuck, not Byrnzie.

I know Brian highlighted the text, but fuck wrote it. I wasn't saying fuck highlighted the text, but I can see how that might not have been clear. I just don't buy the "I won't say you specifically" qualification when it is followed up by "It is people like you who..."

I am willing to give fuck the benefit of the doubt, but it did read like an attack to me.

Post edited by JimmyV on

Correct, my bad, it was fuck. See, I told u guys, I'm shithead. Sorry byrnzie
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    imagephoto imagejpg1_zpsb976d37a.jpg" />

Guys,this is Sammy.He is currently working the Bar in the AMT lounge car.May I invite you down for a break and a cool beverage.Im buying first round.We have a great West Palm Beach 2003 boot playing right now and the A/C is cranking on this hot summer day.Come and relax
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    That is an offer nobody here can refuse. :)
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
    edited July 2014
    I've always loved this song. It was probably already 20 years old when I heard it for the first time. Still resonates today. I would love to hear Eddie sing it someday.

http://youtu.be/Tjk0kcArclw

Post edited by JimmyV on

JimmyV said:

I've always loved this song. It was probably already 20 years old when I heard it for the first time. Still resonates today. I would love to hear Eddie sing it someday.

Not get off track but.....
    Dude, that fucken song is awesome! I've never heard it before and fuck ya, vedder can pull this off. No doubt! As much as I love vedder, mite be tough to top this. Nice jimmy!
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    badbrains said:

JimmyV said:

Dude, that fucken song is awesome! I've never heard it before and fuck ya, vedder can pull this off. No doubt! As much as I love vedder, mite be tough to top this. Nice jimmy!
    I got fucking goosebumps. I'm curious to see what my Israeli cousin-in-law will say when I whip out my guitar this weekend and belt it out - think she might pay attention when the Jordan River comes up...
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:

badbrains said:

JimmyV said:

I got fucking goosebumps. I'm curious to see what my Israeli cousin-in-law will say when I whip out my guitar this weekend and belt it out - think she might pay attention when the Jordan River comes up...
    Ben, that would be sick man! Play it bro, shit, record it! I'd like to hear it
    JimmyV said:

badbrains said:

JimmyV said:

badbrains said:

You mean fuck, not Byrnzie.

I know Brian highlighted the text, but fuck wrote it. I wasn't saying fuck highlighted the text, but I can see how that might not have been clear. I just don't buy the "I won't say you specifically" qualification when it is followed up by "It is people like you who..."

I am willing to give fuck the benefit of the doubt, but it did read like an attack to me.

I meant people echoing similar sentiments of "it's all peace, bro" that Brian was. If I meant to call Brian out, I would've said "you" not "people like you". If Brian believes the things I was disagreeing with, then I am calling him out. If he doesn't then I'm not. It's up to him.
    "The world stands disgraced"
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/30/world-disgrace-gaza-un-shelter-school-israel
    "United Nations officials described the killing of sleeping children as a disgrace to the world and accused Israel of a serious violation of international law after a school in Gaza being used to shelter Palestinian families was shelled on Wednesday."
    fuck said:

"The world stands disgraced"
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/30/world-disgrace-gaza-un-shelter-school-israel
    "United Nations officials described the killing of sleeping children as a disgrace to the world and accused Israel of a serious violation of international law after a school in Gaza being used to shelter Palestinian families was shelled on Wednesday."

After they were told 17 times that it was a SAFE HOUSE housing WOMEN/CHILDREN.
    This belongs in here. Brian, this ones for you buddy.

http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/celebrities-palestinian-gazanames.html

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

Dude. You are making it personal.

I'm making it personal? Pot calling the kettle.....

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    Israel and Hamas agree to a 72 hours unconditional humanitarian ceasefire to begin Friday morning:

http://www.bbc.com/news/28596609

I think it's weird for them to only agree to only a 72 hour ceasefire, but I guess the point is what? To allow people to have 3 days to flee? Where might they flee to?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
This discussion has been closed.