Options

Jerusalem Post/Ben Red Completely Off Base In Criticism of Eddie and Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    bradzermanbradzerman Chicago Posts: 3
    Like many expressed here today, I feel like I have been in mourning all day - extremely disappointed in the way in which Eddie Vedder used his stature and popularity similarly to Roger Waters to negatively influence other mis-informed and under-informed people to stand against Israel and their right to defend herself and citizens from the terror they face daily. Those that post here that Eddie was not referring to Israel, I think it's clear when he stated he did not want his taxes paying for "them" dropping bombs on children. Hamas, unfortunately, launches missiles from people's homes making them targets for retaliation.

As any Israel supporter knows, The IDF - Israel Defense Forces notify by media and dropping pamphlets informing civilians in enemy territory and located at enemy targets of upcoming military action to give them time to evacuate. I am not aware of other nations that offer such warnings.
    Eddie's and your taxes do support Israel and their right to defend themselves against terrorists dropping bombs on them at any time but now even more than ever with the long range Hamas bombs traveling to heavily populated areas such as Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Your tax dollars paid for the Iron Dome Missile Defense System which is saving innocent civilian Israeli lives every day currently.

I live in Chicago and have seen and traveled to numerous solo and PJ shows, including in the last two years alone 2 solo shows in Chicago, a solo show in Austin, Wrigley Field, Jimmy Fallon show for PJ week, Phoenix and Trieste Italy. i listen to Sirius XM PJ Radio daily and have fan club tix to see the band in Milwaukee and was planning on seeing the band in Moline Illinois this coming October as well. Although I have not decided on how I will deal with this situation going forward, I do know for sure that if/when I decide to listen to their PJ Radio Station or attend their upcoming concerts, I will not feel the same for Vedder, the band, or their music. For this, I am in mourning..
  • Options
    Does anyone else feel that this thread should be moved to AET? :)>-
  • Options
    Haywood YablomeeHaywood Yablomee Posts: 608
    edited July 2014
    Cornell is not Jewish & Johnny Ramone was an anti-Semite who taunted Joey about being Jewish. Johnny also was a HUGE collector of Nazi memorabilia.
    rr165892 said:

Ed's not anti-Semitic or anti anything other then Republican as far as I can tell.Hell,a lot of people close to Ed are/were Jewish.The Ramones,Cornell,Carrie B,etc,Etc.I think his first wife may have been also.Dude is not a hater.And although I am a believer in a concert in Israel would do a lot to bring peeps together peacefully,now isn't the time and it will be Interesting to see if Neil keeps his show scheduled.

Post edited by Haywood Yablomee on
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    rr165892 said:

CM189191 said:

rr165892 said:

Here is a very good first step.You have to start somewhere.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/13/opinion/oren-mideast-crisis-solution/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Strange, this op-ed doesn't mention anything about Israel being demilitarized or stopping settlements. It basically says the Palestinians in Gaza aren't being oppressed enough and Israel needs the help of US & Russia to help oppress them further. Non-starter for me.
    CM,First Step a Baby step if you will.Get the bloodshed to stop.Then worry about the bigger issue.I think anything that can get more goods and services to those in the affected area,get a easing of blockade is a good start.
    I kinda look at it like the Casey Anthony and Zimmerman trials.Prosecutors went for the home run with Murder 1 .Lost both swinging for the big tamale.If they would have focused on a lesser charge the woulda had something,IMO
    If its 1967 lines or nothing/No deal .I think the Palestinian folks may be in for a long haul.Wouldnt it be better to start with a small step that at least can move the discussion forward,maybe let more honest brokers and progressive thinkers enter the mix and move the war hawks and terrorists aside(both sides) so progress can begin.I think from what I've read,that there is plenty of right minded peace loving people on both sides of the fence to kick start a proper dialogue.I do not think Hamas has the Palestinians best interest in mind just like I feel the conservative Israelis leadership also Dosent speak for all its people.So some small step forward is needed.
    You want to take baby steps forward, but won't to use the 1967 borders that Israel already agreed to as a starting point? The blood that's being shed is disproportionately Palestinian (172 to Israel's 0). There have been cease-fire agreements before, clearly a new strategy is needed.

Easing the blockade won't happen because Palestinians want to import building materials, and that gets in the way of Israel's (illegal) settlement.

The Zimmerman/Casey Anthony trials are an interesting analogy. Trayvon and Casey were already dead by that point.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    badbrains said:

I just can't understand how people can honestly NOT think this was about Israel.

I started this thread. I think his comments were about Israel but I don't think it was a criticism of Israel alone. As Brad so eloquently put it Eddie's comments were far more about the childishness and senselessness of it all. His comments are a very basic "We are all the same and bombing each other will solve nothing". While some think that is naive it is the essence of the argument. He has been making the same argument for over 20 years. I believe the Jerusalem Post's characterization of the speech as an "anti-Israel diatribe" is completely wrong. Those who support Israel as I do need to recognize that and should not fear speech even when the most minor of criticisms are directed our way. Lastly, those who believe Eddie's speech was a warm embrace for the totality of the Palestinian cause should also see that not to be the case. He abhors all violence and wants the end to all worldwide conflict. If you believe otherwise then you are not being honest with yourself.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited July 2014

As any Israel supporter knows, The IDF - Israel Defense Forces notify by media and dropping pamphlets informing civilians in enemy territory and located at enemy targets of upcoming military action to give them time to evacuate. I am not aware of other nations that offer such warnings.

Do they notify the media and drop pamphlets before they send in the bulldozers? Missiles may not be cheaper, but certainly more effective at displacing people....

Step 1: Force people to live under apartheid conditions so miserable, they revolts time to time.
    Step 2: Use those actions by a few to justify collective punishment.
    Step 3: Kill a few thousand civilians, women and children and level their houses
    Step 4: Grab those now level grounds and build more houses for your own people.
    Step 5: Profit, rinse and repeat.
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options

Those that post here that Eddie was not referring to Israel, I think it's clear when he stated he did not want his taxes paying for "them" dropping bombs on children.

US taxpayer dollars go to Israel AND the PLO which is currently in a unity government with Hamas. To be against this is not to choose one side over another.

• Options

Does anyone else feel that this thread should be moved to AET? :)>-

echo, echo, echo...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    badbrains said:

I love all the eds uneducated or misinformed comments. His entire career he's been outspoken on shit like this, makes a comment which people find disturbing because it was about Israel, and all of sudden it makes him uneducated and misinformed.And yes the threats in the comment page are disturbing.

I just can't understand how people can honestly NOT think this was about Israel. I think people need to be honest with themselves and accept the fact that maybe criticing Israel isn't wrong and just because you do, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I hope Ed has the balls to clarify this if asked about it and says yes I was referring to Israel. And again, if it wasn't about Israel, then why are the supports of Israel so butt hurt? Didn't the jpost writer even turn on Eddie and basically told them not to come? He even thought it was directed at Israel. Look we get it, it sucks to have your favorite singer come out and rail against your cause. Trust me, it would've sucked to for the Palestinians if he came out in support of Israel's stance. But here's your chance of doing something good then turning this into something worse. In reality, all Ed is is a singer of a rock band. You shouldn't get all butt hurt because he's stance doesn't go with your stance.

Again, I honestly dnt see how you can't think he was talking about Israel. And deep down inside, we all know he was. If you know anything about the conflict, you knew he was talking about them. Like drowned out said, he could've easily mentioned Russia, Ireland, Cambodia or whoever way back when the tour started. But to wait till the end, and with all the violence escalating on tv, it was obvious who he was talking about. Come on guys, stop lying to yourself. Brad I appreciate your stance tho I wholeheartedly disagree with. To me and to a lot, it was crystal clear who he was talking about. Dosnt mean your posters suck cuz I dnt agree with you. I actually have a couple of yours lol.

But I will end with this. I find it funny that when Ed makes political comments people dnt agree with, they tell him to shut up and play music. Bravo for no one telling brad to shut his opinions up and just make posters. Damn good ones at that!

Honestly, I'd place good money on the fact that the speech was about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. I'd also place good money on the fact that, while that may have been the catalyst for the speech, his inherent message was for peace, and that he's using his voice to promote peace. There's only one issue I have with Eddie's speech, and it's the same I've had about other politically/religiously/ethically fuelled speeches of his: he preaches. He's god damn passionate, and I love that, but if he would add an extra few words at the end of his speeches, it would serve him well: "but don't believe me, do the research, and come to your own educated decisions about where you stand, and what you can do to change it".
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    The only people calling out Eddie's speech as being anti-Israel are...Jews and people from Israel who are just so freaking uptight about anyone having anything to say about the situation that doesn't paint them in a favorable light.

(My last name is Horwitz, so take that for what it is worth).

Here is what he said, let's break it down, shall we?

"“What the fuck? We have this many people having a peaceful time, we can have modern technology, we can reach our friends, they know what we’re thinking it. The advertisers know what we’re thinking before we’re thinking it. We have technology, all of this in our hand. But at the same time as something this positive is happening, at the same fucking time, not even that far away, dropping bombs on each other. What the fucking fuck? And I get if war is the last resort, you don’t want to be in that situation. But I swear to fucking God, there are some people out there looking for a reason to kill. They’re looking for a reason to go across borders and take over land that doesn't belong to them. They should get the fuck out, and mind their own fucking business!

He added, “Eat, procreate, draw a painting, make some art, listen to music, fuck some more, have another baby, eat, work, eat, work, love, love, love. Everyone’s the fucking same, so why are people at war? Stop the fucking shit now! Now! Now! We don’t want to give them our money! They don’t get our taxes to drop bombs on children! No! No more!”"

Ok. We live in a time where so much is possible and there is so much to be amazed with. Then we have to deal with: Israel and the Palestinians, Russia invading the Ukraine, North Korea waving their missile dicks, the US butting in where they are not wanted/needed. And on and on. He is as much talking about Israel as he is talking about his OWN FUCKING COUNTRY. So all you blowhards who love ripping those "liberal" artists who speak up "against" Israel, get over yourselves. Israel is about as far from perfect as the US is, and we're in bed with each other. Ed is anti war, anti needless killing, anti living in fear.

Live and let live, and yet people can't figure this out. "They don't get our taxes to drop bombs on children". Ed can be saying that to numerous militaries and governments. Oh but god forbid it can be said about Israel (which is killing children the same way Palestinians are, lets not overlook that fact). Hey, pro-Israeli folks (I can be in that camp sometimes) - GET OVER YOURSELVES. You are not special and neither is your country. Israel is as much a victim as it is a perpetrator. Neither side is "right". So stop with the whole "I'm going to boycott every artist who says anything at all that paints Israel in a less-than-flattering light". Guess what? The world is sick of the shit going down in the middle east...not just "liberal artists". Grow up and join the real world.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,957
    That "work" part is the bit that gets me...
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,970
    edited July 2014
    When you see his words transcribed onto the page and really read them, there is even less there to indicate he is singling Israel out or speaking specifically about Israel. This is an antiwar rant, plain and simple.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

The only people calling out Eddie's speech as being anti-Israel are...Jews and people from Israel who are just so freaking uptight about anyone having anything to say about the situation that doesn't paint them in a favorable light.

"“What the fuck? We have this many people having a peaceful time, we can have modern technology, we can reach our friends, they know what we’re thinking it. The advertisers know what we’re thinking before we’re thinking it. We have technology, all of this in our hand. But at the same time as something this positive is happening, at the same fucking time, not even that far away, dropping bombs on each other. What the fucking fuck? And I get if war is the last resort, you don’t want to be in that situation. But I swear to fucking God, there are some people out there looking for a reason to kill. They’re looking for a reason to go across borders and take over land that doesn't belong to them. They should get the fuck out, and mind their own fucking business!

He added, “Eat, procreate, draw a painting, make some art, listen to music, fuck some more, have another baby, eat, work, eat, work, love, love, love. Everyone’s the fucking same, so why are people at war? Stop the fucking shit now! Now! Now! We don’t want to give them our money! They don’t get our taxes to drop bombs on children! No! No more!”"

Ok. We live in a time where so much is possible and there is so much to be amazed with. Then we have to deal with: Israel and the Palestinians, Russia invading the Ukraine, North Korea waving their missile dicks, the US butting in where they are not wanted/needed. And on and on. He is as much talking about Israel as he is talking about his OWN FUCKING COUNTRY. So all you blowhards who love ripping those "liberal" artists who speak up "against" Israel, get over yourselves. Israel is about as far from perfect as the US is, and we're in bed with each other. Ed is anti war, anti needless killing, anti living in fear.

Live and let live, and yet people can't figure this out. "They don't get our taxes to drop bombs on children". Ed can be saying that to numerous militaries and governments. Oh but god forbid it can be said about Israel (which is killing children the same way Palestinians are, lets not overlook that fact). Hey, pro-Israeli folks (I can be in that camp sometimes) - GET OVER YOURSELVES. You are not special and neither is your country. Israel is as much a victim as it is a perpetrator. Neither side is "right". So stop with the whole "I'm going to boycott every artist who says anything at all that paints Israel in a less-than-flattering light". Guess what? The world is sick of the shit going down in the middle east...not just "liberal artists". Grow up and join the real world.

Brilliant man. Just brilliant. That was the whole point of this thread.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    BinFrog said:

This is actually pretty good. Straight forward and to the point, no holding back and saying it like it is. No doubt both sides have fucked up aspects of themselves, but we all have to remember that when's enough enough? What would anyone do if they were out in a position of an Israeli or a Palestinian? Who has it more fucked up? Who's allowed to go and do what they want without anyone telling them no? Who has their "own" roads they are ONLY allowed to drive on? Who's basically allowed to "live" a somewhat normal life, having basic needs and being able to use those basic needs? This shit has to stop. It's 2014 and shit like this still happens. Enough
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Five fucking pages of speculations and declarations.

To me, this is much like the lyrics we love - subject to our interpretation and situation and...subjectivity.

Unless the man himself clarifies, who the fuck knows. I think no matter the specifics we (want to) see or not, it strikes me about simply wanting peace, regardless of geography.

(gotta disagree with Ed's "have another baby" comment though. Eat, work, fuck, love - sure and amen. But please, people - think long and hard about procreating)
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    BS44325 said:

BinFrog said:

Brilliant man. Just brilliant. That was the whole point of this thread.
    absolutely.

Im still dumbstruck by the comments under that article on the JP. Absolute verminous stuff.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,682
    I think it is a foolish person who is a huge fan of the band and then gets upset because they think Ed's opinion counters one of theirs. You know they believe what they believe and feel that they are obligated to share those beliefs. I have not agreed with many speeches given over the years but it is Pearl Jam and specifically EV -- we all are entitled to our beliefs and opinions.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Yeah if I cared what celebrities thought or only listened to artists I agreed 100% on then my record collection would be one lonely place. Some of you guys take things way too seriously. Enjoy the music and skip it on the bootleg if it gets your panties in a bunch.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    hedonist said:

(gotta disagree with Ed's "have another baby" comment though. Eat, work, fuck, love - sure and amen. But please, people - think long and hard about procreating)

Joking or not, it's just about love. As it should be. As everything should be.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    BinFrog said:

hedonist said:

Joking or not, it's just about love. As it should be. As everything should be.
    Wasn't joking! But agree - should be about love though we know many times reality doesn't allow for this.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314
    BinFrog said:

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE CLAP SMILE????????????????
    WHERE THE FUCK IS THE SIZE OPTION TO MAKE THIS BIGGER??????

BEST POST THE LAST 100 YEARS AT MESSAGE BOARDS...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    I completely agree EV on this and this is not new. He's gone on many anti-war rants in the past. Yet I know being a veteran in the U.S. Navy and reading and studying history, violence is a fact of life and human nature, sorry to say. I'm all for world peace, who wouldn't be?? but you eliminate the bin Ladens, the Saddam Husseins, Hitlers, regime after regime, etc. there's 10 more down the road in the future...it's a FACT of life....there's never been world peace and always will be a push for it, thankfully. It's a constant struggle between all the different people throughout time.
    Eddie said we're all the same. That's not necessarily true. We're all the same as a part of the human species but NO 2 PEOPLE THINK ALIKE...
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205
    Should I have taco bell today?
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited July 2014
    BinFrog said:

I disagree….as I mentioned, the Palestinian solidarity camp also thinks this was about Israel. So unless he wants to clarify his words by saying he did NOT mean to single out Israel, this is how it will be viewed by everyone who is personally invested in the ‘conflict’ (read: occupation). On the contrary, the only people I’ve seen who DO view this as simply an anti-war rant, are the people who don’t want him to pick a side because they don’t want to either, and a few Israelis who are in denial about the whole thing.
    I personally hope he is willing to speak further on it, but I think he will keep his mouth shut and hope this dies out. We can see the shit storm it caused to say anything that could even possibly be interpreted as criticizing Israel ….if he decides to clarify and make it clear that that is what he meant, his life will be turned inside out. He may even be in danger, after reading the jpost facebook comments. I hope reading these comments was an eye opener who those who view the conflict as being peace loving Israeli’s vs extremist arabs – plenty of hate to go around on both sides. When it comes to celebs, it takes a special kind of person to speak out against Israeli aggression.

Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    and that's of the big issues I have w/ the left. they cry for peace but to understand peace you MUST first understand WAR
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited July 2014

Cornell is not Jewish & Johnny Ramone was an anti-Semite who taunted Joey about being Jewish. Johnny also was a HUGE collector of Nazi memorabilia.

haywood,Actually Read an interview(I will try to find it)Where Cornell talks about his Jewish mother and that side of his family.It Dosent really matter.I was just making a point.I think we all know Ed is anti war not a Rascist of anyone.

rr165892 said:

Ed's not anti-Semitic or anti anything other then Republican as far as I can tell.Hell,a lot of people close to Ed are/were Jewish.The Ramones,Cornell,Carrie B,etc,Etc.I think his first wife may have been also.Dude is not a hater.And although I am a believer in a concert in Israel would do a lot to bring peeps together peacefully,now isn't the time and it will be Interesting to see if Neil keeps his show scheduled.

• Options
    badbrains said:

BinFrog said:

This is actually pretty good. Straight forward and to the point, no holding back and saying it like it is. No doubt both sides have fucked up aspects of themselves, but we all have to remember that when's enough enough? What would anyone do if they were out in a position of an Israeli or a Palestinian? Who has it more fucked up? Who's allowed to go and do what they want without anyone telling them no? Who has their "own" roads they are ONLY allowed to drive on? Who's basically allowed to "live" a somewhat normal life, having basic needs and being able to use those basic needs? This shit has to stop. It's 2014 and shit like this still happens. Enough
    Agree but add in who got in bed with Hamas?? Gotta call out the nonsense on both sides.
    To keep it fair.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,565
    Five pages and the debates are all respectful. Nice job everyone!
  • Options
    Cornell bio,again not that it matters.

http://hollowverse.com/chris-cornell/
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942

Five pages and the debates are all respectful. Nice job everyone!

Agreed :) There seems to be a critical shift from anti- this or that, to a pro-peace mentality.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
This discussion has been closed.