Options

Jerusalem Post/Ben Red Completely Off Base In Criticism of Eddie and Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,604
    "people crossing borders and "taking/stealing" land that's not theirs, he's def talking Israel. No doubt"..Umm,,before all the ISIS and Gaza shit, Russia stealing the Crimea vs. Ukraine was a pretty big deal. That land was stolen. And when the side taking it has nuclear weapons, not much can be done but sanctions. Unless Ed specifically stated Israel, there is a lot left to him making a blanket statement about the state of the WHOLE WORLD being a mess, not just THAT ongoing conflict. I believe there should be an Israel, and would rather my tax money go there than to Pakistan, or Syrian Rebels, or an inept Iraqi government. If Mexico started to shell Los Angeles or Dallas with rockets we sure as fuck would retaliate. But once again, I think Eddie was not singling out Israel.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,959
    edited July 2014

And myself as an American, I am appalled at the things american politicians do under our name and feel they shouldn't be free of criticism, especially when they are killing people... in fact that is when we should be most criitcal of our leaders. Criticism of a nation's policies is not criticism of the people of that nation.

It would seem that a large number of Israel's people are caught in the grip of Nationalism and religious dogma (God gave us this land), which perhaps doesn't afford them the freedom to be as objective as Americans and criticize their leaders? Thus an attack on those leaders could be seen as an attack on their people too, in their eyes that is.
    Post edited by Spags on
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    notforconsumptionnotforconsumption Posts: 116
    edited July 2014
    @Brad There's really no point to try to convince them about what is to me and evidently to most of us, obvious.

Ed was very passionately addressing the craziness of war, in general. Most probably the tip of the iceberg has been the recent Gaza events. But it seems that this planet has been in constant ongoing conflict for...well, for forever now! War in general IS the issue.

If we come down to it, it seems to me that the leaders/coordinators of "Bring PJ to Israel" were not entirely motivated by their love for the music and the band but were seeking some sort of recognition, agreement for their political stance/beliefs.

It's like they were waiting for something like this to happen, so they can grab on to as proof that the reason the band is not playing Israel is because they oppose the Israeli stance on the Palestinian issue.

This is very sad and I hope this is not true.
    Post edited by notforconsumption on
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

"people crossing borders and "taking/stealing" land that's not theirs, he's def talking Israel. No doubt"..Umm,,before all the ISIS and Gaza shit, Russia stealing the Crimea vs. Ukraine was a pretty big deal. That land was stolen. And when the side taking it has nuclear weapons, not much can be done but sanctions. Unless Ed specifically stated Israel, there is a lot left to him making a blanket statement about the state of the WHOLE WORLD being a mess, not just THAT ongoing conflict. I believe there should be an Israel, and would rather my tax money go there than to Pakistan, or Syrian Rebels, or an inept Iraqi government. If Mexico started to shell Los Angeles or Dallas with rockets we sure as fuck would retaliate. But once again, I think Eddie was not singling out Israel.

Again....those conflicts have been going on for weeks and months. Pj has played plenty of shows since, in which Ed could have mentioned them. He went on this rant immediately after Israel started bombing gaza.
    Even if he did NOT mean to speak against Israel, they are the nation currently most damned by his words, hence the outrage from the Israelis who support their government's actions.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited July 2014

If we come down to it, it seems to me that the leaders/coordinators of "Bring PJ to Israel" were not entirely motivated by their love for the music and the band but were seeking some sort of recognition, agreement for their political stance/beliefs.

It's like they were waiting for something like this to happen, so they can grab on to as proof that the reason the band is not playing Israel is because they oppose the Israeli stance on the Palestinian issue.

In their campaign thread, I repeatedly asked the organizers this question, and I was never once dignified by any response:

Would you issue a statement denouncing the discrimmination of your government against Palestinians? Would you at least symbolically show a Palestinian flag as a show of solidarity in one of your youtube vids? Or are we just paying lip service to the notion that you are peaceful and do not support your government's actions?

Their organizers have been throwing hissy fits, attacking people on fb since the vid was uploaded. And I want to say, those fb comments in the link posted on the previous page are so fucked. Many Israeli supporters wishing death on Eddie, one even suggesting his wife and daughters be sent to jihadis. Wtf is wrong with people? :(
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    notforconsumptionnotforconsumption Posts: 116
    edited July 2014
    The Facebook comments and the comments on the Jerusalem Post article are out of control!

Post edited by notforconsumption on
  • Options
    Yep :(
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    If Ed was specifically talking about Israel he would have said. The guy doesn't shy away from topics like this and if he meant Israel he would have directly said. At no point during his speech (I was at the gig) did I think "this is about the Israel/Palestine conflict". It's war in general. And it's fucking wrong that war still exists.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Ed's not anti-Semitic or anti anything other then Republican as far as I can tell.Hell,a lot of people close to Ed are/were Jewish.The Ramones,Cornell,Carrie B,etc,Etc.I think his first wife may have been also.Dude is not a hater.And although I am a believer in a concert in Israel would do a lot to bring peeps together peacefully,now isn't the time and it will be Interesting to see if Neil keeps his show scheduled.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    .the ones get offended are the ones are guilty of what eddie said...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:

As an American I too don't want my country to have anything to do with the Middle East period

Let them figure it out

which country sell them guns??your country is the first has to do with the whole..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,739

Read the comments below the article those are pretty interesting.

I read those last night and was stunned. Some of them were beyond dumb. disgustingly dumb.
  • Options

I don't think it was about that conflict in particular... just conflict in general... you turn on your tv and someone is firing missiles into somewhere else and someone is dropping bombs on someone else... so regardless of where and who's doing it...it's all just more conflict...you turn on the tv and it's just more war and death...from all points of the globe.

Ed and the band don't have a horse in the race... in terms of Israeli/Palestinian conflict... they are pro-human... they were one of the few who stood up against the Bush/Cheney invasion, against the actions of their own government. And they were put down for that.

reading the comments on that article were discouraging... people, whether they are Israeli, Palestinian, American, Russian, Chinese, etc etc, are so quick to defend their government's decisions to use force on other nations...when 9 times out of 10 governments are lying as to the real motives behind their actions, yet the people, conditioned to rally behind patriotism and nationalism brainwashed by their media, rush to defend the the actions of a bunch of liars in suits who will push for your children and you to go fight based on some trumped up lies but won't fight themselves as they reap the benefits of the conflict safely behind their gated walls of luxury and prestige.

We as humans should all rally around one another, around life, not around pointless borders drawn on a map by egomaniac imperialists as they carve up the land like a piece of cake fighting for control over the biggest piece of planet's natural resources, or around the agendas of a few notorious pathological liars in suits. The more you travel around the globe, the more you realize people everywhere are exactly the same. We're doing the same thing, trying to exist and survive and enjoy the time we have here. We all have families, we all have ambition and desires, we all have a need for food and water, we all laugh and experience joy and happiness the same, we all bleed and hurt and suffer exactly the same. Maybe we have different viewpoints on god or how we should live, but at our core, a human is a human is a human, regardless of our opinions and beliefs... which are nothing more then opinions and beliefs.

Your home is your home, and you have every right to defend it, but why support the actions of those few in power who don't care about your home but exploit your love for your home so they can achieve their own selfish agenda at all of our expense? These liars understand psychology better then anything else, and they know we are all protective and proud of our homes, so they use that, they tell us some enemy wants our home and is coming to take it from us and that they hate us... they make up fictitious narratives and pump them into our homes 24/7 to alert us to these boogeymen and build hatred so that we will all find them justified and right and support their crimes against humanity and want to line up to help them in their efforts to "protect our homes". When the reality is we should be protecting ourselves from them. If I come up to you and say "Hey Bill, I have information that you might get your ass kicked tomorrow by some unknown masked bad guys from the other side of town who hate you because you live on this side of town...but if you do what I say, I can protect you, but if you don't you're going to get your ass kicked, and bad"... do I have "intel" about this event and am your friend trying to warn you or am I threatening you with the likely hood of this event happening if you don't do as I say...? The people we should be most suspect of, are the ones continually telling us we are in danger and we have to give up something precious of ours, like our freedoms and liberties or our children's lives, to them to save ourselves from this supposed danger they keep bringing to us over and over again. According to notorious liars, we are in constant threat of danger from people far away and at home that we don't know, and the threat is very "real" though these liars just can't tell us about how they know about it because it would jeopardize national security... but trust them, someone is always trying to harm you 24/7 and you need protection, so surrender everything they ask for otherwise suffer the consequences. Normally, that's called strong arm robbery, but for governments, it's just them defending us as the gracious servants they are to the nation.

We should be defending one another, not the actions of governments that are supposedly representing us and exploiting our love for our respective countries. Politicians, governments, lie... all of them, to some degree or another, either to promote their own careers or their own agendas and then try and convince us they are just servants of the people here to do right by us. I don't understand why we continually put any amount of faith in people and institutions whose track records throughout history are covered in lying, deception and manipulation and who are the first to bang the drums of war and rally the citizens into war lust, yet are nowhere to be seen when it comes time to fight except on the tv telling you why you should go fight. But don't worry, the next politician in your country will be different and fix it all. It's a known joke that politicians are professional liars, they kiss babies and shake hands, yet knowing this we repeatedly put all our faith and trust in them time and time again and it's the same results time and time again... we get screwed in some form or another, and they get their names written down in the history books.

.... and as for the comments we've all heard before, about entertainers and politics, the shut up and sing, or that entertainers have no place speaking about anything other then entertainment.. while I get that people go to a concert to be entertained and that's what they paid for... entertainers, are still human beings just like everyone, while some may disagree with the use of a particular venue for an entertainer to speak their mind, they are still human and get to have the same feelings as anyone else. Actors and musicians leave their normal venues and go on "news" shows and speak their minds, and again, they are belittled and put down for speaking about things they shouldn't.... yet what gives a tv personality entertainer disguised as a "news journalist" any more right to discuss the same issues that effect every human? Should a plumber or a welder only ever speak about their profession? Our humanity comes before our professions... your job is just what you do to survive and exist and feed your family, it does not define you, your humanity defines you... we are all humans, not careers.

Perfect Brad, just perfect.

This whole episode is pretty sad. I despair. His sentiment was fairly straight forward. People will always try to make it fit their situation or agenda, and whilst it might be directly related, I doubt it.

Ed was always very critical of the Iraq invasion, which many believed was based on an attempt to steal the vast resources of oil in that country, resources that did not belong to the USA, and a similar situation in Libya.......the encroaching on land, behind loose political bullshit, is seriously not new ground.

The statement Ed made was simply that we must stop doing this, end of, stop letting kids die under bombs, etc etc, I cant imagine any of us would disagree with that regardless of the politics involved.

The comments below that article are a complete disgrace. Truly moronic......
  • Options
    pablo5pablo5 Posts: 48
    He's quite clearly talking about Israel when he mentions looking for an excuse to cross borders and take land. The recent escalation in that part of the world would be an obvious trigger for such a statement.
    As I said in the thread in the political subforum, while I feel bad for the Israeli PJ fans who don't get a local show, the guys in Palestine have far bigger problems than crying on Facebook demanding a tour.
  • Options
    pablo5pablo5 Posts: 48
    Neil Young has cancelled Tel Aviv.
    The official story is that it's a security risk.
  • Options
    Sounds legit.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    @pablo I don't know what you mean "official story". Under the circumstances there is a security risk!
  • Options
    pablo5 said:

He's quite clearly talking about Israel when he mentions looking for an excuse to cross borders and take land. The recent escalation in that part of the world would be an obvious trigger for such a statement.
    As I said in the thread in the political subforum, while I feel bad for the Israeli PJ fans who don't get a local show, the guys in Palestine have far bigger problems than crying on Facebook demanding a tour.

'clearly'.....

that is merely your interpretation. It is far from clear.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,857
    E.K said:

It gets worse on Facebook. Sorry if this link has been posted before

https://www.facebook.com/TheJerusalemPost/posts/582505295204480

classy.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,797
    rr165892 said:

Here is a very good first step.You have to start somewhere.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/13/opinion/oren-mideast-crisis-solution/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Strange, this op-ed doesn't mention anything about Israel being demilitarized or stopping settlements. It basically says the Palestinians in Gaza aren't being oppressed enough and Israel needs the help of US & Russia to help oppress them further. Non-starter for me.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    SkeeterB said:

badbrains said:

But as others have said, how can u be surprised by his feelings on the matter.

Because they were one sided and he is very un-informed and un-educated on a very delicate topic. The hatred in his tone was disturbing.

People seem to forget that a mere 70 years ago, 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust.
    And Khmer Rouge, and Rwanda....what's your point? We should invade Germany?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

pablo5 said:

'clearly'.....

that is merely your interpretation. It is far from clear.
    i agree with Paul
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,973
    When someone in the UK refers to a situation "not too far from here" where borders are being crossed, land is being taken, and oppression is occurring, my first thought would be they were talking about Ireland. Not Israel.

Again, Israel probably was the spark that lit the fuse, but to say his words were aimed only at Israel is to read something into them that just isn't there.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

@Brad There's really no point to try to convince them about what is to me and evidently to most of us, obvious.

Ed was very passionately addressing the craziness of war, in general. Most probably the tip of the iceberg has been the recent Gaza events. But it seems that this planet has been in constant ongoing conflict for...well, for forever now! War in general IS the issue.

Obviously would have been a big feather in their cap. People who say it's all about the music are kidding themselves. To have a 'socially conscious' band like PJ would be nothing but propaganda for Israel: "See? We're not that bad, Neil Young will play here". Oh wait....
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Ed's not anti-Semitic or anti anything other then Republican as far as I can tell.Hell,a lot of people close to Ed are/were Jewish.The Ramones,Cornell,Carrie B,etc,Etc.I think his first wife may have been also.Dude is not a hater.And although I am a believer in a concert in Israel would do a lot to bring peeps together peacefully,now isn't the time and it will be Interesting to see if Neil keeps his show scheduled.

It might bring a lot of Israelis together peacefully. The Palestinians would have to go through a lengthy application process to akin to the PJ20 F5 debacle before they are inevitably denied entry and treated as second class citizens once again.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

rr165892 said:

Here is a very good first step.You have to start somewhere.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/13/opinion/oren-mideast-crisis-solution/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Strange, this op-ed doesn't mention anything about Israel being demilitarized or stopping settlements. It basically says the Palestinians in Gaza aren't being oppressed enough and Israel needs the help of US & Russia to help oppress them further. Non-starter for me.
    CM,First Step a Baby step if you will.Get the bloodshed to stop.Then worry about the bigger issue.I think anything that can get more goods and services to those in the affected area,get a easing of blockade is a good start.
    I kinda look at it like the Casey Anthony and Zimmerman trials.Prosecutors went for the home run with Murder 1 .Lost both swinging for the big tamale.If they would have focused on a lesser charge the woulda had something,IMO
    If its 1967 lines or nothing/No deal .I think the Palestinian folks may be in for a long haul.Wouldnt it be better to start with a small step that at least can move the discussion forward,maybe let more honest brokers and progressive thinkers enter the mix and move the war hawks and terrorists aside(both sides) so progress can begin.I think from what I've read,that there is plenty of right minded peace loving people on both sides of the fence to kick start a proper dialogue.I do not think Hamas has the Palestinians best interest in mind just like I feel the conservative Israelis leadership also Dosent speak for all its people.So some small step forward is needed.
  • Options
    And please no more talk of the dreaded F5
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I love all the eds uneducated or misinformed comments. His entire career he's been outspoken on shit like this, makes a comment which people find disturbing because it was about Israel, and all of sudden it makes him uneducated and misinformed.And yes the threats in the comment page are disturbing.

I just can't understand how people can honestly NOT think this was about Israel. I think people need to be honest with themselves and accept the fact that maybe criticing Israel isn't wrong and just because you do, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I hope Ed has the balls to clarify this if asked about it and says yes I was referring to Israel. And again, if it wasn't about Israel, then why are the supports of Israel so butt hurt? Didn't the jpost writer even turn on Eddie and basically told them not to come? He even thought it was directed at Israel. Look we get it, it sucks to have your favorite singer come out and rail against your cause. Trust me, it would've sucked to for the Palestinians if he came out in support of Israel's stance. But here's your chance of doing something good then turning this into something worse. In reality, all Ed is is a singer of a rock band. You shouldn't get all butt hurt because he's stance doesn't go with your stance.

Again, I honestly dnt see how you can't think he was talking about Israel. And deep down inside, we all know he was. If you know anything about the conflict, you knew he was talking about them. Like drowned out said, he could've easily mentioned Russia, Ireland, Cambodia or whoever way back when the tour started. But to wait till the end, and with all the violence escalating on tv, it was obvious who he was talking about. Come on guys, stop lying to yourself. Brad I appreciate your stance tho I wholeheartedly disagree with. To me and to a lot, it was crystal clear who he was talking about. Dosnt mean your posters suck cuz I dnt agree with you. I actually have a couple of yours lol.

But I will end with this. I find it funny that when Ed makes political comments people dnt agree with, they tell him to shut up and play music. Bravo for no one telling brad to shut his opinions up and just make posters. Damn good ones at that!
  • Options
    rubi76rubi76 Posts: 20
    I write this post trying not to mix politics but to explain what 90% of people commenting on this forum failed to miss.
    -Eddie was clearly referring to the conflict in Israel ("not far from here they are throwing bombs at each other"). Cambodia and Vietnam are too far from London.
    -Israelis are not mad at the fact the band is against wars (by now you certainly know so if you are a PJ fan....) but at the lines "taking land that's not theirs".
    That pretty much explains his view of the conflict... and that's picking sides.
    -Israel is a 2-3 hour flight from Europe.
    Imagine you work on a petition for years to bring the band to your country with no results. The full band -minus Eddie- toured before in Israel with Neil Young. You start to wonder if he is the reason for them not coming. Then you hear what his view of the conflict is and you obviously think 'finally we know his true face'.... meaning finally we know he did pick sides.

• Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    i often wonder, if we here in Ireland can sort out our troubles, and that fight was going on a lot longer,800 years in fact, and equally as bitter, and come to a relative peace on the macro level(theres still a lot of sectarian violence on a street/thug level), that somehow the same can be achieved for Palestine and Israel. It's an ugly history but what's happenning there now is what should be dealt with.

That piece in the Jerusalem times and the ensuing comments are frightening. Ed is allowed an opinion and alllowed use his platform to raise awareness in any way he wants. And it's great that he does that too. And long may he continue to do so.
This discussion has been closed.