Options

This has to stop

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,647
    Yeah I like the posting on 'dont be an asshole' and it is one of the things I try to remind myself every time I start getting that way....but it does ignore the point the OP is making. Should you just take the shit end of the stick because a group tells you it was OK for their 20 friends to go to the pre-party for hours since they had signed a list? I would not take too well to that.
    Not my beef but I feel badly for anyone that finds themselves in this position and was/is prepared to wait for hours to fulfill a dream of being one of the few who get really close for a show.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    i think the list is stupid.

you get out of line and leave the venue, you are out of the line.

i can't call dibs at the front of the line at the dmv, leave for 5 hours, and come back and butt in front of everyone else who has been waiting there the whole time.

but that's just me. i don't need to be on the rail every show. or any show for that matter. it is not my ambition in life to "have the rail". but if that is your thing, you should have to stand in line the entire time.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,587
    if someone asks me to put my name on a list i may just start laughing. it's fucking stupid.

as others have said i plan on having dinner, drinks, checking out merch and heading in when the doors open. is it that important to have the slim opportunity to drink out of a wine bottle that ed and 5 other sweaty people have slobbered on?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    We are (for the most part) grown-ass adults. I would think, by now, that we all know how a line of people is supposed to work. Unfortunately, there are a select few elitist assholes that will do their thing - show up early, get on a "list", go have fun for hours with not a care in the world, and show up when the doors are supposed to open - with little, if any, consideration for those who do function in a line in a proper...line-like manner. A little give and take is fine...full-fledged abuse of the line/list is bullshit. End rant... #-o
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,236
    edited June 2014
    I've said it before but the Springsteen method really isn't about who get's on the rail. It's a positive side effect. For Springsteen shows the entire floor is GA and there's a fenced off section at the front. You show up during the day, grab a number and go back to the venue at 5pm. Say they gave out 3000 numbers. The pull number 2376. So #2376 is the first to go in, the go all the way to the last number, then start at 1 until its full.

The method is actually designed to determine who gets to be in the pit section (but does randomize who ends up on the rail as a positive side effect).

The PJ shows have a fan club GA section (aka PIT) already so it seems a bit silly to need the Springsteen method. That's probably why the 10c doesn't so anything about it. They've already decided who goes in the pit.

I did pretty good in Vancouver. I looked at the list in disgust, spent the afternoon hanging out with my brother, had a few beers, met Mike McCready, got into the GA line just as doors opened and ended up about 5th row right in front of Ed, which advanced to about 3rd row once the show got going.... Great spot. F the list :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    All this GA shit is crazy. Lists, people standing in line for hour and hours, etc..

I prefer having a few beers and getting there a little early to maybe grab a shirt or poster. All this other shit seems way too stressful for going to a concert.
  • Options
    it's kind of the same thing before the internet when getting tickets. we used to sleep out overnight outside the ticketmaster kiosk to be first in line. we didn't have any shitty list. if you were there first, we all knew it. we had fun drinking and partying. But no one showed up in the evening and then left to go home to sleep and come back in the morning to claim their spot. if you were gone, you lost your spot. it's common sense. we slept out in Winnipeg winters to get good seats. Man did that ever suck/rock!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I think position in the GA line should be determined by fastest time on a Most Extreme Challenge obstacle course
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    Ten Club Ninja Warrior!!!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    The line and the list people need to be tarred and feathered.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    jervin007 said:

I think position in the GA line should be determined by fastest time on a Most Extreme Challenge obstacle course

right you are, kenny

• Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

I just don't get how these people with the list dictate to everyone else how it is? No one challenges them? Are there that many supporters of the list that everyone else gets pushed out?

Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Do we draw numbers as to who gets to tar and feather them? Or do we put our name on a "list" and seniority dictates who goes first speedy! Love the idea buddy!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited June 2014
    It sounds like the entitled assholes who work the lists are just rookie punks (maybe PJ "veterans" but rookies nonetheless). That shit wouldn't fly outside of the strange PJ hardcore fanbase. I've been going to shows since the 70's and most of them were floor GA. There was never any need for lists. People in this thread have already talked about etiquette. Have a buddy, make friends around you, don't leave for more than a bathroom break or to grab food (and grab some for your line buddies), don't cut in a bunch of your friends, etc... It sounds like these petulant kids who create lists need to be straightened out. Hopefully by the 10c or venue staff. I can tell you that if someone shows up after I've been sitting in line for hours, they can either line up behind me, or we'll both be out of the line. They aren't getting in line in front of me. Everyone who isn't on the list of douchebags really need to pull together to stamp out this nonsense. Why do people put up with it?
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    edited June 2014
    badbrains said:

Do we draw numbers as to who gets to tar and feather them? Or do we put our name on a "list" and seniority dictates who goes first speedy! Love the idea buddy!
    These elitist fans are turning into the people Ed used to rant about back in the day!
    "paint ed big...turn ed into...one of his enemies..."
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    boyo79 said:

rr165892 said:

Why are people still abiding by a list.Total nonsense.

And yep again

Yep.

"All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    jlj_swe said:

Let me see if I get this right. I have GA tickets for Stockholm, which (if I have understood this right) gives me access to to the area in front of the crowd bars within the blue area on the pic, correct? And I can get there five mins before the show starts?

This is how I imagine "the list" that has been discussed here, so I would appreciate if anyone could correct me if I'm totally wrong.

Love this picture!
  • Options
    achardingacharding Posts: 359
    I'm not against bathroom breaks...and even an hour break for lunch. This is where a list would be handy....but people abuse the list. They show up and get a number and then they are gone. They leave and go to the preparty for hours. I feel that if you are in line for 12 hours, a lunch break is not out of the question...you just have to ask around and make sure people are ok with it. Then you have their backs while they take a break. No need to be assholes. But, if you think you are going to jump in front of people who have been in line all day just because you have a number 10 on your hand then you are mistaken. The line should take care of itself and have more say than the list (or the keeper of the list). If one hundred people say no, who the hell cares what sayeth the almighty keeper of the list.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    Having numbers on your hands can sort of have a purpose if people try to cut in I guess.

But the list is so abused it's crazy.

In Amsterdam a bunch of people we're home sleeping but number 1-10 just because they came the night before and had the "night shift" or whatever they call it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    Im going to touch the wall in Salt Lake City this afternoon and write a #1 on my hand for the next time they play here
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    AndySlash said:

jervin007 said:

right you are, kenny

:P

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784

I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed.

Y'all can have your rail and wait in line all day, braving the elements and superfans with acoustic guitars.

I'm kicking back with dinner and drinks before the show, and then I'm gonna saunter over to the merch bus, buy me some stuff, take it all somewhere that I don't have to carry it the whole show, grab some more beers and find my way in.

It's amazing how close you can get when you still show up nine hours after the first people got in line. Half drunk, belly full, bladder empty, merch procured, high fives aplenty.

Holy well said.
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

I can tell you that if someone shows up after I've been sitting in line for hours, they can either line up behind me, or we'll both be out of the line.

B-)

i like
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    jlj_swe said:

what show was this?
    is this how big the GA section usually is?

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    Next time go postal on the fuckers.....
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,594
    strummers said:

The wristbands are already numbered. Put a pair of consecutive random numbers in each envelope. You line up in that order 1 hour before doors. It's the only way I can see to stop this NS from continuing!!

Doubt it would work fairly if the line always started at 1 (or whatever the lowest number on the wristbands are) because they likely put the wristbands with the tickets in some kind of order, like by our last names. They'd have to either randomize that every time, or start the line at some random number that's different each time. Otherwise, people with last names that start with A might end up on the rail every time or something. But anyway, yeah, assuming they made it so that it was truly random each time, this would be great.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJ_Soul said:

strummers said:

The wristbands are already numbered. Put a pair of consecutive random numbers in each envelope. You line up in that order 1 hour before doors. It's the only way I can see to stop this NS from continuing!!

Doubt it would work fairly if the line always started at 1 (or whatever the lowest number on the wristbands are) because they likely put the wristbands with the tickets in some kind of order, like by our last names. They'd have to either randomize that every time, or start the line at some random number that's different each time. Otherwise, people with last names that start with A might end up on the rail every time or something. But anyway, yeah, assuming they made it so that it was truly random each time, this would be great.
    They can do it like the military draft, or TicketMaster. Then, it doesn't matter if the wristbands are handed out in the order they are printed.

Let's say Amy gets #1, and Zeb gets #26. Before they open the doors, pull a # out of a hat, say #13. Mary is #13 and gets to go first. Then Nancy (#14), the Otto (#15), and so on. Sorry, Larry (#12) sucks for you.

I wish Southwest Airlines did this...we're all just cash cattle at some point anyways.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    BergfallBergfall Posts: 115
    With the ever declining quality and quantity of service being provided by 10C (as I feel this is for them to fix, not us) I'm surprised the fan club tickets haven't yet been sold by 10C staff....at least not more than those that aren't picked up....

Disband 10C, and build it up from scratch, or let it stay dead, the "service" now provided for our yearly fee is at the very most on par with what I feel entitled to just being a safe and steady source of income for PJ the last 20 years....

Seriously, I never get happy visiting this page, the shop or the forum anymore.....

Maybe some fans, with the backing of a few accountants and IT people, should just start 10C v2....
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    CM189191 said:

PJ_Soul said:

strummers said:

They can do it like the military draft, or TicketMaster. Then, it doesn't matter if the wristbands are handed out in the order they are printed.

Let's say Amy gets #1, and Zeb gets #26. Before they open the doors, pull a # out of a hat, say #13. Mary is #13 and gets to go first. Then Nancy (#14), the Otto (#15), and so on. Sorry, Larry (#12) sucks for you.

I wish Southwest Airlines did this...we're all just cash cattle at some point anyways.
    Exactly. That's how Springsteen's fan club does it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bergfall said:

With the ever declining quality and quantity of service being provided by 10C (as I feel this is for them to fix, not us) I'm surprised the fan club tickets haven't yet been sold by 10C staff....at least not more than those that aren't picked up....

Disband 10C, and build it up from scratch, or let it stay dead, the "service" now provided for our yearly fee is at the very most on par with what I feel entitled to just being a safe and steady source of income for PJ the last 20 years....

Seriously, I never get happy visiting this page, the shop or the forum anymore.....

Maybe some fans, with the backing of a few accountants and IT people, should just start 10C v2....

Sounds like you aren't really aware of just how much the 10C does do during a tour (and otherwise).
    But yes, I think they should get involved in enforcing the first come, first serve policy, even if that just means formally requesting that the venue's security not allow a list.