Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    Don't worry people once Trump is in WH all good to go with gun parties everywhere please just shoot them into ground not in the air !!! No more worries about anyone taking your weapons from you like Obama has been doing right , you'll be able to walk in the streets with your guns on just about any American town !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited May 2016

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

there are more deaths from legal and illegal drugs every year, a gun kills with a loud bang and drugs kill for the most part silently, something to think about while people are protesting guns while they're high on who knows what.

Godfather.

Nobody fears walking into a movie theater and having some guy start tossing cocaine into the air.

:lol:
    That's funny, but is a very good point.
    I know that I wouldn't really have any issue with guns if people only used them to kill themselves by choice.
    the number of suicides by gun I believe actually does out-number violent gun deaths, I was just reading some stuff on the interweb that had some pretty interesting facts.

Godfather.

I'm sure it does. It's not a statistic that I care about (in this specific context I mean). If someone wants to kill themselves, there are all kinds of ways for them to do it. If they didn't have a gun they'd most likely do something else. Or not. The main point is, as sad as suicide is, and as much as support is needed for the mentally ill, my issues ALL have to do with how guns are used by someone against others, so gun suicides just aren't something I feel the need to consider with this issue.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040

Don't worry people once Trump is in WH all good to go with gun parties everywhere please just shoot them into ground not in the air !!! No more worries about anyone taking your weapons from you like Obama has been doing right , you'll be able to walk in the streets with your guns on just about any American town !!

Obama doesn't have the luxury of having a democratic congress. If he did I can't even imagine what the second amendment would look like after two terms (probably like New Jersey!).
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

there are more deaths from legal and illegal drugs every year, a gun kills with a loud bang and drugs kill for the most part silently, something to think about while people are protesting guns while they're high on who knows what.

Godfather.

Nobody fears walking into a movie theater and having some guy start tossing cocaine into the air.

I know that I wouldn't really have any issue with guns if people only used them to kill themselves by choice.
    the number of suicides by gun I believe actually does out-number violent gun deaths, I was just reading some stuff on the interweb that had some pretty interesting facts.

Godfather.

I'm sure it does. It's not a statistic that I care about (in this specific context I mean). If someone wants to kill themselves, there are all kinds of ways for them to do it. If they didn't have a gun they'd most likely do something else. Or not. The main point is, as sad as suicide is, and as much as support is needed for the mentally ill, my issues ALL have to do with how guns are used by someone against others, so gun suicides just aren't something I feel the need to consider with this issue.
    I agree to some extent. I think it's important to note that number though. I believe more than half of gun deaths are suicide. And if you exclude gang on gang violence, or perps killed during a violent crime (because honestly, if I break into a house to rob someone and get shot, that should be a point for the gun owners, not a point against them) the number of gun deaths is a fraction of what anti-gun lobbyist quote.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Obama doesn't have the luxury of having a democratic congress. If he did I can't even imagine what the second amendment would look like after two terms (probably like New Jersey!).
    You don't have to worry Trump will make sure there are no more gun free zones the gun parties will be abundant , guns in your kids schools at concerts , churches , theaters , supermarkets oh and yeah you'll be able to carry onto planes lol the West will be thriving again ....
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

You don't have to worry Trump will make sure there are no more gun free zones the gun parties will be abundant , guns in your kids schools at concerts , churches , theaters , supermarkets oh and yeah you'll be able to carry onto planes lol the West will be thriving again ....
    I honestly don't think Trump can beat Hillary so no worries.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I agree to some extent. I think it's important to note that number though. I believe more than half of gun deaths are suicide. And if you exclude gang on gang violence, or perps killed during a violent crime (because honestly, if I break into a house to rob someone and get shot, that should be a point for the gun owners, not a point against them) the number of gun deaths is a fraction of what anti-gun lobbyist quote.
    The anti-gun lobbyists are pretty transparent with their stats. Gun suicides are not rolled into gun murder stats. The suicide rate does not impact those numbers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

The anti-gun lobbyists are pretty transparent with their stats. Gun suicides are not rolled into gun murder stats. The suicide rate does not impact those numbers.
    I'm sure many are. But I've also seen statements that put gun deaths in the 30,000-40,000 range. When gun homicides are in the ballpark of around 6-7 thousand I believe. Which includes gang on gang violence. That number is actually small compared to many forms of death that are rarely discussed.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

First of all, look at the number of gun deaths on that chart from 2011. It’s 32,351. That’s a lot of gun deaths to be sure. So that’s the total number of murders by gun owners, right? The answer is not only Hell No, but it’s not even remotely close. It’s true that this figure is close to the total number of human lives ended in incidents involving a gun, but that’s all incidents. So how did those deaths happen?

Straight from the CDC where most of the media is drawing their numbers (while not as good of a source as the FBI or the Justice Department) we can find out that of those 32,352 gun deaths, 21,175 of them were suicides. That leaves us with 11,177 deaths to account for. But as it turns out, the FBI records that 8,583 deaths were murders of various sorts involving guns of all types. The remaining roughly 2,500 were accounted for by accidents and unintentional injuries. These include hunting accidents, toddlers getting hold of unsecured weapons and shooting somebody or just plain idiots who proved Darwin right.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    edited May 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

yeah it would still be there and you would still have your toys

background checks would be stronger and gun show purchases would be restricted...how awful
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

background checks would be stronger and gun show purchases would be restricted...how awful
    I live in new jersey, the land of multiple back ground checks and a place were gun shows are illegal.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I think he will beat her resoundingly I'm not voting for him or her but can see this train wreck getting the nod ...
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I think he will beat her resoundingly I'm not voting for him or her but can see this train wreck getting the nod ...
    i'd vote libertarian if it counted for anything. I can not stand Hillary (and her husband is my favorite president ever!)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I live in new jersey, the land of multiple back ground checks and a place were gun shows are illegal.
    so even if Obama had his way you would not be affected in any way

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

we are still allowed to own the "scary" guns. so it would effect us.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

What legislation was Obama sponsoring that would take that AR-15 away? You suggested that if he would have had a Dem congress it would be different. What bill? Or is it an imaginary bill that you refer to like most right wingers when discussing gun laws?

• Options
    Yeah everybody says Obama wants to take my guns but I still yet to see any legislation that has affected any gun owners as far as I see it nothing has changed nada !!!!
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

What legislation was Obama sponsoring that would take that AR-15 away? You suggested that if he would have had a Dem congress it would be different. What bill? Or is it an imaginary bill that you refer to like most right wingers when discussing gun laws?
    What’s in Obama’s Gun Control Proposal (2013 gun proposal) http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/16/us/obama-gun-control-proposal.html?_r=0
    The initiative to reduce gun violence announced by President Obama on Wednesday includes both legislative proposals that would need to be acted on by Congress and executive actions he can do on his own. Many of the executive actions involve the president directing agencies to do a better job of sharing information.
    Proposed Congressional Actions
    Requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales, including those by private sellers that currently are exempt.
    Reinstating and strengthening the ban on assault weapons that was in place from 1994 to 2004.
    Limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.
    Banning the possession of armor-piercing bullets by anyone other than members of the military and law enforcement.
    Increasing criminal penalties for "straw purchasers," people who pass the required background check to buy a gun on behalf of someone else.
    Acting on a $4 billion administration proposal to help keep 15,000 police officers on the street.
    Confirming President Obama's nominee for director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
    Eliminating a restriction that requires the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to allow the importation of weapons that are more than 50 years old.
    Financing programs to train more police officers, first responders and school officials on how to respond to active armed attacks.
    Provide additional $20 million to help expand the a system that tracks violent deaths across the nation from 18 states to 50 states.
    Providing $30 million in grants to states to help schools develop emergency response plans.
    Providing financing to expand mental health programs for young people.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Indirectly he has. The fear that he will actually do something has driven the gun and ammo prices so high (good if you're anti-gun I suppose). Fear he's going to regulate ammo, which he hasn't, has made ammo prices triple since he's been in office.
    Ammo shelves at many places are always empty because so many are stock piling ammo for when he starts regulating, or stamping every single bullet they wont need to buy it. But its not going to happen while he's in office.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    mace1229 said:

Indirectly he has. The fear that he will actually do something has driven the gun and ammo prices so high (good if you're anti-gun I suppose). Fear he's going to regulate ammo, which he hasn't, has made ammo prices triple since he's been in office.
    Ammo shelves at many places are always empty because so many are stock piling ammo for when he starts regulating, or stamping every single bullet they wont need to buy it. But its not going to happen while he's in office.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/05/obama-best-gun-salesman-on-earth-stock-picker.html
    beginning of article:
    Louis Navellier, known for his stock selection prowess, is betting on two firearms companies that have been swept up in a nationwide buying frenzy sparked by Americans concerned about President Barack Obama's intentions regarding gun control and their safety following terrorist attacks in San Bernardino, California, and Paris late last year.

Navellier said he owns Sturm Ruger and Smith & Wesson, which were both sharply higher Tuesday morning, ahead of Obama's planned formal announcement about executive actions he wants to take to restrict gun sales.

"Mr. Obama is the best gun salesman on the planet," the chairman of Navellier Associates told CNBC's "Squawk Box," adding that he has not gotten any pushback from investors concerned about profiting from gun stocks. "They just want us to make money."
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I'm sure many are. But I've also seen statements that put gun deaths in the 30,000-40,000 range. When gun homicides are in the ballpark of around 6-7 thousand I believe. Which includes gang on gang violence. That number is actually small compared to many forms of death that are rarely discussed.
    Well gun deaths and gun homicides are two very different things. Sounds like maybe you just need to pay closer attention to what the stat is actually referring to.
    BTW, gang on gang violence probably shouldn't be excluded anyway. I'm curious to know why you think it should be.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I think you forgot to add 'to shoot shit with' right after 'scary 'guns'.

It should have read: scary guns to shoot shit with.

It was a flip of the coin, Scruffy. Pacific won over the Atlantic.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Well gun deaths and gun homicides are two very different things. Sounds like maybe you just need to pay closer attention to what the stat is actually referring to.
    BTW, gang on gang violence probably shouldn't be excluded anyway. I'm curious to know why you think it should be.
    Of course they are two different things, and I pointed that out as well. Its very common for people to represent stats in a way that favors them. I'm doing it now by only stating the stats that I think are relevant, others did it on this forum before me. Its very common for someone who is anti gun to say something like "40,000 people are killed by guns every year." Many gun deaths are stated in a "look how many innocent people die" sort of way without really explaining the data and just throwing out a large number. Its common, they do that with a lot of things. If you're a smoker and die of brain cancer, some (not all) stats will chalk that up to smoking and throw that number on a billboard to scare kids without explaining where that number comes from. Its been said that way on this forum multiple times with guns.
    So if you're talking about innocent lives, referring to the amount of people minding their own business in a movie theater, or school or at home and are victims of a homicide with a gun, I think that stat should exclude suicides and acts where the victims where involved in criminal activity (gang on gang). Not that all gang members deserve to be shot, but they are hardly innocent bystanders in gun violence.
    I would relate that to an argument against more strict drug control. I can say 38,000 people die from an overdose every year and strict drug laws will save lives. You can argue that the majority are people who chose the drug and should be their free will to do so, and only a small fraction of that 38,000 were innocent kids who found the drugs at home or parents just couldn't follow the directions when administering medication. I've heard that exact debate before about legalizing drugs, and seems very similar to me with gun control.
    Homicides with guns is about 7-8000 per year. The majority of that is gang on gang or where the victim was involved in violent criminal activity. So the number of "innocent" people minding their own business is probably in the 2000 range (just a guess) and this would include all ages That is far down the list on what kills kids or anyone else.
    All that being said, if a reasonable gun law could reduce it by 100, I would likely be for it. Reasonable gun laws I think are background checks, large capacity magazines, armor piercing ammo, fully auto. Stupid gun control laws are something like banning a barrel shroud, designed to keep the you from burning your hand-yeah, lets ban a safety feature.
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited May 2016
    Bottom line: more guns equals more deaths by guns.

The US has the most guns per capita by far... and correspondingly... more gun deaths by far.

Per capita of course (on edit).
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited May 2016
    And is it the Guns fault that someone got Murdered or the Murderer's fault?
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:

The murderer's fault 100%.

But because we know people suck... let's try and limit the amount of sucking. Don't ya think?

Have we seen the last mass murder where some shitbagger uses an ar15 to rapidly shoot a ton of people? You know... the gun who's very designer has said it was designed for military use? Every time one occurs... the same lame arguments will get trotted out and once again... the whole world will sit there saying to themselves, "Wow. How f**king stupid can you be?"

In the event you're feeling homicidal... I actually saw them in sale at a Big 5 Sporting Goods in Washington. No shit. 20% off (likely due to a manufacturer's incentive- come on retailers... sell our tools of death).

Yee Haw!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389

i_lov_it said:

The murderer's fault 100%.

But because we know people suck... let's try and limit the amount of sucking. Don't ya think?

Have we seen the last mass murder where some shitbagger uses an ar15 to rapidly shoot a ton of people? You know... the gun who's very designer has said it was designed for military use? Every time one occurs... the same lame arguments will get trotted out and once again... the whole world will sit there saying to themselves, "Wow. How f**king stupid can you be?"

In the event you're feeling homicidal... I actually saw them in sale at a Big 5 Sporting Goods in Washington. No shit. 20% off (likely due to a manufacturer's incentive- come on retailers... sell our tools of death).

Yee Haw!
    Gun rights are like abortion rights, either you are for it or against it..
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mace1229 said:

enough evidence for what? To ban the AR-15 or ban all guns?

enough evidence to support that civilians shouldn't be able to buy AR-15s.

It's being sold as a "sporting" weapon...it's not. It's an assault weapon built for war.
    So I built an AR-15 specifically for hunting wild hogs...not for war...unless you are talking about waging war on those damn 4-legged menaces. I chose that platform as it is lighter weight and easier to carry through the thick brush where I hunt and sometimes those bastards require quick follow up shots (if you've ever been charged by one, you would understand).
    I'm pretty sure the rifles the military uses are fully automatic and not semi-auto only (like the AR-15).
    There are many many semi-auto rifles out there in different platforms that fire at the exact same rate as AR-15s and have been used for hunting for years. Oh, I forgot, AR-15s "look scary".
    I would rather ban the toy replicas that encourage improper safe handling.
    get a shotgun. In my world you wouldn't have an AR-15
    Lol, shotgun just pisses them off. Even buck shot will sometimes bounce off them. I load my own ammo specifically for the game I'm hunting... Just like I would not use a rifle for quail, I don't use a shotgun for wild pigs.
    I d love to go hog hunting again. Is texas really over run by then?
    Yeah, they are everywhere. I saw a recent wildlife study showing their impact on the ecosystem and it said they have been identified in every county except like 2. They have even been spotted in towns! My freezer stays pretty regularly stocked, lol.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    rssesq said:
    Once again you're a disappointment counselor. 2 references to the Rothschilds and yet nothing about Dershowitz, the Federal Reserve Board, or the 4 of 9.

You c
    i_lov_it said:

Guns don't kill people

Gun owners do
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Bottom line: more guns equals more deaths by guns.

The US has the most guns per capita by far... and correspondingly... more gun deaths by far.

Per capita of course (on edit).

That is interesting. The fact that there are millions of guns in TX means that every city should have a higher rate of gun deaths than Chicago, Detroit, other places where gun rights are restricted...right? Gun shows should be bloodbaths because there are a ton of guns there, right?
    Wonder what the correlation is to the rise in violent media access and acceptance? Seems like desensitization may have a more direct correlation. How has the graphically violent media changed over the past few decades?
    I know there have been plenty of studies done showing how there is a correlation with children entering puberty faster due to the easy access of explicit material. It would make sense that access to graphic violenct imagery is changing the brain of this generation as well.
This discussion has been closed.